Author Topic: Steven Wilson solo career thread - v. The Harmony Codex in 2023!  (Read 60797 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Steven Wilson solo career thread - v. The Future Bites
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2021, 08:57:23 PM »
Wolf wasn’t offended by Steven’s comments, but he did admit that he was bummed out by the comments since he holds him in high regard.

Given that Eddie was his dad and he is a proud son, I totally get Wolfie's reaction, but I have to think that most SW fans out there, and there are a lot of us despite what a bunch of online nitwit VH fans think, know by now that Wilson is generally not a fan of rock music like VH and guitar players like Eddie, so his comments shouldn't surprise anyone.  I think he could have kept his answer a lot shorter and sweeter, but, for better or worse, that is not the Steven Wilson way.  He is overly blunt most of the time and that is a big reason why he is one of the most fascinating musicians out there to listen to nowadays.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2021, 11:37:45 PM »
Does anyone else feel like Steven Wilson is just frustrated after all these years, and wants to crack the mainstream, but won't just come out and say it!

I definitely sense that he would love a crack at the mainstream but, as you say, he's too cool to actually come forward and say so.

He's actually said that on numerous occasions including in this latest cycle.

Regarding EVH, I was never a fan, either. While I was shocked by his death, it didn't really affect me (unlike, say, Neil Peart where I properly teared up listening to a couple of Rush tracks in the car the day after his death was announced). I don't really know anything about Wolfgang but I have to say I was very impressed by his measured response.

By extension, I never got Van Halen despite liking many of their contemporaries. They always had a far bigger following in the States than in the UK so that may have factored into it.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2021, 04:43:07 AM »
That might be because it's a demo from 2006, recorded during the Fear of a Blank Planet sessions.

That should explain why I like the song.  :lol

Does anyone else feel like Steven Wilson is just frustrated after all these years, and wants to crack the mainstream, but won't just come out and say it!

I think it's fairly well documented that he has voiced his opinions on bands that have been huge sellers. To me there always feels like there is a bitter edge there. Or a sly dig at big selling bands. I think he's just too cool to come out and say "yes, I'd like to sell as many albums, and reach as many people as Coldplay or Radiohead. I am equally, if not more talented than them and the public need to realise this."

To me, at this point, every interview I read about the sound of the new album and the direction he's moved as an artist, just feels fake. It just sounds like he's trying to justify the style of music he is playing, in a credible way that is also like a social commentary. Like, just fess up and say, "This style is what's popular and I want to be more popular so that's why the album sounds this way".

I'd have more respect for him then I think. The whole promotion of the new album has just turned me off and left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. I might be off base but it's just how the whole thing comes across to me and I can't shake it. Anyone else?

All that said, the new album is alright and I'll give it a few more listens.

I totally agree on this. Something just feels a little bit off this time for me, and it's definitely NOT the fact that he chose to go in a more electronic or pop direction. I know he loves electronic music and I love it as well. Got no problems with good pop music either.

But the way he dives into electronics here just doesn't feel that exciting to me. Sure, King Ghost is well done, I like the synth patterns and together with the excellent video it's a worthy addition to the SW discography. But I was actually hoping he'd go way more experimental with electronics, a bit more like in the album closer Count of Unease. That's actually the only song on the entire record that really made me feel something.. I think.

I don't know, it does feel like an older guy trying to be contemporary, and that's never a good thing in my mind. Follower has this annoying Taylor Swift-like chorus, and everything about the album just SCREAMS (all caps..) that it's all so 'slick' and edgy. That might be, and I cannot help but to be reminded of Prince, Bowie or Gabriel in a lot of these songs. Only the songs aren't as good and SW just doesn't have that sort of appeal IMO.

By stripping away so much, all that remains is a pop record that comes across as very cold and calculated (which was probably intended, given the subject matter). Still, that results in me not getting any warm feelings for it. To The Bone was already a bit lighter than what came before in his solo discography, but to me it still had SW's magic all over it.. I guess I'm also missing some epicness from the music on The Future Bites. Where are the climaxes? I love climaxes.

Sorry to be so negative, and SW doesn't owe anyone anything, he can do what he wants and the music is still much better than a LOT of stuff out there. Just trying to make sense of my feelings on the record and sharing them.

Oh and WTF @ him saying that 'there's nothing left to say with the electric guitar anymore'. What a load of BS. Apparently, he himself has nothing to say with electric guitar anymore.. speak for yourself SW. A statement like this might have been appropriate if this album was amazing, but it's certainly no Kid A. AFAIC, there's more real emotion in Refuge's guitar solo than on most places on this record.

I'll rank as well:

1. Insurgentes
2. Hand. Cannot. Erase.
3. The Raven That Refused to Sing
4. To The Bone
5. Grace for Drowning
6. The Future Bites
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline DTA

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2021, 04:57:24 AM »
New album is enjoyable, but it will probably disappear from my rotation once I go through my listening cycle. I do appreciate Personal Shopper and Eminent Sleaze more than I did when I first heard them and Follower is a cool track too. I'm undecided on Count Of Unease but probably need a few more listens to form a final opinion.

My ranking thus far:

1. Insurgentes
2. Hand.Cannot.Erase
3. To The Bone
4. The Future Bites
5. Grace For Drowning
1001. The Raven

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2021, 05:04:51 AM »
1) Hand. Cannot. Erase.

2) The Future Bites
3) To the Bone

4) Raven

5) Grace for Drowning

933948) Insurgentes
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2021, 05:28:18 AM »

I think it's fairly well documented that he has voiced his opinions on bands that have been huge sellers. To me there always feels like there is a bitter edge there. Or a sly dig at big selling bands. I think he's just too cool to come out and say "yes, I'd like to sell as many albums, and reach as many people as Coldplay or Radiohead. I am equally, if not more talented than them and the public need to realise this."

To me, at this point, every interview I read about the sound of the new album and the direction he's moved as an artist, just feels fake. It just sounds like he's trying to justify the style of music he is playing, in a credible way that is also like a social commentary. Like, just fess up and say, "This style is what's popular and I want to be more popular so that's why the album sounds this way".

I'd have more respect for him then I think. The whole promotion of the new album has just turned me off and left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. I might be off base but it's just how the whole thing comes across to me and I can't shake it. Anyone else?

All that said, the new album is alright and I'll give it a few more listens.

Man, such a good point.

Yeah, I've noticed a slight resentment against big artists that have really made it on the biggest leagues but at the same time he shows a lot of appreciation for artists that did something really cool and big in the pop scene (such as Peter Gabriel, who was said to be a big inspiration during the To The Bone process).

I definitely sense that he would love a crack at the mainstream but, as you say, he's too cool to actually come forward and say so. It's easier to be this counter-culture artist that basically does something entirely different musically-speaking (the exact opposite of artists like Neal Morse)   each time around and that has this constant position of daring and defiance against what he thinks is not good enough in the industry. You got artists like John Mayer that are basically made and constructed from the guitar, but if asked about him Wilson would probably go all like "he's not doing something that hasn't been done in the last 30 years", so I find very wise to take his opinions with a grain of salt. He's one of my favorite songwriters and he always will be, but I know when to draw a line (GET IT ITS LIKE IN THE INCIDENT OLO)

I don't know man, electronic music has been around since the 70's. Prog bands in the 80's were already burying guitars in the mix in favour of beats and synth sounds. He may view himself as doing something entirely different, but to me The Future Bites sounds to older electronic music what many of the bands he criticises are to 70's prog/rock. He has his own sound and production choices, yes, but so do artists like Ayreon and yes, even Transatlantic. For example, I like Permanating and yeah it does sound different in the realm of prog rock artists and Wilson's own discography, but in the end that ain't an original sounding song at all.

The fresher feeling of many of Wilson's works, for me, come from the way he blended the prog/ambient/electronic/jazz/etc. sounds. And I do appreciate that he tries to go in different directions within his own works.

And all of this is fine, it has nothing to do with quality for me.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2021, 06:45:09 AM »
I don't know how this album will sit with me in the long run, but as usual I will add some tracks from it to my "favourite SW songs" playlist on Spotify (12 Things I Forgot, Man Of The People, Follower).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online faizoff

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2021, 07:00:07 AM »
I can't rank the albums yet with TFB. Needs to sit a few months or even a year or so to figure out where it will ultimately place in the SW solo discography.

Like Transatlantic, I give all his albums a min of 9.5/10.

I don't think anything will ever outrank Raven for me, that album for me is an even 10/10, I love that album so much.
HCE is very close behind followed by To The Bone. Insurgentes and Grace for Drowning are tied for me and unlike the others, I feel like his first two albums are just a collection of songs on the album. From Raven onwards I feel a theme and connection to the tracks in the context of an album but for those first two I just don't view or think of them as such. Time will tell where TFB lands, I'm guessing probably at the bottom or just below To The Bone.

1, Raven
2, Hand Cannot Erase
3, To The Bone
4/5, Insurgentes/GFD
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2021, 07:53:50 AM »
ehhh, I'm here to counter all the Insurgentes hate(*)

1. Insurgentes
2. Grace for Drowning
3. To the Bone
4. Hand. Cannot. Erase.
5. The Raven That Refused to Sing

??? The Future Bites
(Only got it in the mail today, will listen tomorrow)

* BIG EDIT: Nevermind though, I missed the bunch of posts that do have Insurgentes at the top :heart
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2021, 08:29:46 AM »
1, Raven
2, Hand Cannot Erase
3, To The Bone
4/5, Insurgentes/GFD
This is my ranking too, although I definitely have GFD as distinct 5th place below Insurgentes.

I don't know about TFB yet, but I think it'll be at the lower end.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2021, 09:24:18 AM »

But the way he dives into electronics here just doesn't feel that exciting to me. Sure, King Ghost is well done, I like the synth patterns and together with the excellent video it's a worthy addition to the SW discography. But I was actually hoping he'd go way more experimental with electronics, a bit more like in the album closer Count of Unease. That's actually the only song on the entire record that really made me feel something.. I think.

I could imagine that this will be a thing he does on his next album! I don't think his following output will be "even poppier", so I'm extremely excited what he'll do next (in the same way I think Haken won't get even heavier and I am equally excited for their next step).
any rock can be made to roll

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2021, 12:09:24 PM »
Well, I've heard all of this now and I've deleted it from my phone, this just isn't what I listen to for music. I know I won't listen to it again, just like Insurgentes and Grace for Drowning,  I wish him luck with it.

As for his solo catalog ratings, I don't really listen to Insurgentes or Grace For Drowning and I am 100% positive that I won't listen to the new one.  So, I'd rate the albums this way:

My cuppa:
1. The Raven That Refused to Sing
2. Hand.Cannot.Erase
3. To The Bone

Not my cuppa:
Grace For Drowning/Insurgentes/The Future Bites

His Eddie Van Halen comments are 100% on brand for Steven Wilson.   All he had to say is "I wasn't a big fan so his passing wasn't something that impacted me personally.  I recognize his contributions to the industry and wish his family all the best in dealing with such a tragic loss."

Dude suffers from diarrhea of the mouth

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2021, 03:34:39 PM »
I don't know how this album will sit with me in the long run, but as usual I will add some tracks from it to my "favourite SW songs" playlist on Spotify (12 Things I Forgot, Man Of The People, Follower).

Ugh, this is not directed at you per se, but I hate this new tendency towards playlists.  Hell, a friend of mine, who is as big a Wilson/PT fan as I am, listened to The Future Bites once and his initial reaction was, "Not sure if any of these songs will fit into my Wilson playlist."  :facepalm: :facepalm:  Call me old fashioned, but I still love listening to full albums, and in the case of the artists in my top tier who are still active (SW, Neal Morse, Flower Kings, Dream Theater, Devin Townsend), their new albums are always getting many listens because they have more than enough equity built up that they will never get the "one and done" treatment so to speak.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2021, 03:50:50 PM »

Ugh, this is not directed at you per se, but I hate this new tendency towards playlists.
This is not directed at you per se, but this makes you sound so old.

I just finished my first listen-through of the album.  I didn't listen to any of the singles pre-release.

This is definitely a pop album by Steven Wilson.  I like good pop music, and this is good pop music, but my way-too-early prediction is that this will be my least favorite SW album thus far.

Oh, and Insurgentes is awesome. 

And SW's VH comment was unwarranted, and he's a bit of a dick for saying it (once again).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2021, 05:09:37 PM »
Steven has released a new video for SELF:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UroVey4fJ_g
I can't decide if it's awesome or creepy  :lol

Love it.  It's a little weird, but that is part of the appeal.  I have had the hook from that song (the harmonies by the ladies) stuck in my head all day now.  :lol :lol

Heh, looks like SW is about to get some notoriety for his comments about the guitar, specifically about Eddie Van Halen, which Wolfgang then tweeted about.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/steven-wilson-explains-why-he-was-never-a-fan-of-eddie-van-halen

https://twitter.com/wolfvanhalen/status/1356139355295780865?s=21

Total non-story. I saw that interview the other day and Wilson was pretty tactful about it.  I am sure some VH fans will read about it and lose their shit, but welcome to 2021 on the internet and social media.

Not that I'm surprised by this, but I got the album Saturday, and that day and the next I sat down and listened to the 5.1 mix. Even though I knew many of the songs already from online I was 5x happier with them when listening in that context, and overall I think it gave me a much better appreciation of the album than I would otherwise have.

That said, while I can see myself enjoying this album, I can't foresee it topping the last three, which range from great to top 25 of all time.

Throw in Grace for Drowning there, making it the last four, and I agree.  I like the new album, but it's definitely a drop-off in quality from all of his solo albums from the 10's. 

I did like seeing your implied appreciation for To the Bone, though!  I gave that a few fresh spins last week and it is holding up really well.  Great from start to finish, and easily one of the most diverse albums he's ever done.

While I really like Grace, I don't hold it in as high regard as the other three. I will need a lot more time with TFB to give a final opinion on it, and could put it above or below GFD when all is said and done. I can't see it closing the gap on the other three.

And To. The. Bones. started reasonably strong from me and only grew over time. Just from repeated listens and then especially after seeing the tour a couple of times and gaining even more of an appreciation for some of the songs.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2021, 05:33:01 PM »

While I really like Grace, I don't hold it in as high regard as the other three. I will need a lot more time with TFB to give a final opinion on it, and could put it above or below GFD when all is said and done. I can't see it closing the gap on the other three.

And To. The. Bones. started reasonably strong from me and only grew over time. Just from repeated listens and then especially after seeing the tour a couple of times and gaining even more of an appreciation for some of the songs.

Man, I wish I would have seen him on that last tour.  All of those songs from To the Bone and Hand. Cannot. Erase., plus stuff like Arriving Somewhere But Not Here, The Raven and a few other PT classics.  *salivates*

Ah well, I did get to see him in 2013 when he played, among others, all of the songs from The Raven at one point in the show...and Raider II.  That was insane.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2021, 05:40:15 PM »

Man, I wish I would have seen him on that last tour.  All of those songs from To the Bone and Hand. Cannot. Erase., plus stuff like Arriving Somewhere But Not Here, The Raven and a few other PT classics.  *salivates*

Ah well, I did get to see him in 2013 when he played, among others, all of the songs from The Raven at one point in the show...and Raider II.  That was insane.

Similarly, I was supposed to see SW solo for the first time on the Raven tour, and ended up missing the show due to my grandfather passing the evening we were supposed to go to the show. While I don't regret my decision to stay with my family at his house that night, I can't help but look back at the number of Raven tracks I've not had a chance to see since and definitely hate having missed that show.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2021, 05:47:43 PM »

Similarly, I was supposed to see SW solo for the first time on the Raven tour, and ended up missing the show due to my grandfather passing the evening we were supposed to go to the show. While I don't regret my decision to stay with my family at his house that night, I can't help but look back at the number of Raven tracks I've not had a chance to see since and definitely hate having missed that show.

I would say you definitely made the right decision; I would've done the same.

Wilson is so unpredictable with the set lists, but while I think the title track from The Raven will likely remain a live mainstay as it has been since that tour, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the rest don't see the light of day again any time soon, especially since Govan and Minnemann are not part of his touring band anymore. I can't imagine Drive Home getting played and anyone else trying to tackle that guitar solo.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2021, 06:56:23 PM »
Idk, they did play The Watchmaker during the H.C.E. tour without Govan. Incidentally, the solo in that song was the one time in that entire setlist where it was impossible not to notice Govan's absence. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2021, 09:27:38 PM »
ehhh, I'm here to counter all the Insurgentes hate(*)

I think it is a mistake to assume that those of us who don't rank Insurgentes are hating on it.  I love it, but I like his next four solo albums much more than it, as well as probably eight of PT's studio albums.   If I had to rank the 15 PT and SW solo albums (leaving out The Future Bites since it is too new to rank), Insurgentes would likely be 13th, and not because it isn't great, but because I just love almost everything else more.  That is a testament to the staggering consistency over the years by Wilson. 

Idk, they did play The Watchmaker during the H.C.E. tour without Govan. Incidentally, the solo in that song was the one time in that entire setlist where it was impossible not to notice Govan's absence. :lol

I have to admit that I was happy to see Wilson take back over, for the most part, as his own lead guitarist on To the Bone, but I was happy to have gotten The Raven and HCE with Govan, whose playing was out of this world on those records.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2021, 10:10:31 PM »
My rank:

1. Insurgentes
2. Grace for Drowning
3. The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)
4. Hand.Cannot. Erase.
5. To the Bone

Yes, it's ranked.

I love the first four. Don't like TTB.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2021, 11:56:34 PM »

Ugh, this is not directed at you per se, but I hate this new tendency towards playlists.  Hell, a friend of mine, who is as big a Wilson/PT fan as I am, listened to The Future Bites once and his initial reaction was, "Not sure if any of these songs will fit into my Wilson playlist."  :facepalm: :facepalm:  Call me old fashioned, but I still love listening to full albums, and in the case of the artists in my top tier who are still active (SW, Neal Morse, Flower Kings, Dream Theater, Devin Townsend), their new albums are always getting many listens because they have more than enough equity built up that they will never get the "one and done" treatment so to speak.

I totally get what you're saying, Kev. I've just never been an "I only listen to the whole album as a full experience" kind of guy. I do this with every artist.

Hell, I even put the songs on shuffle for NO continuity/sense at all :lol (Subdivisions followed by Far Cry, to then jump back to Bastille Day etc).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2021, 02:13:03 AM »
Taking The Future Bites out of the equation, I feel like Insurgentes was the one album he really made 100% for himself and with no thought for the fanbase or any outside factors. Possibly because it came out while PT was still active, and he felt like he could really go 'all out there' with a solo album and explore different things. It's also very possible this is just something I get from the album but after PT dissolved and the solo career became the main focus, I feel like every album has had a small portion of "i gotta do this because its expected of me". Yeah he went through some different styles and the solo albums all have differences, but I noticed it on HCE with the 2 long songs feeling a bit 'out of place' compared to the rest and it was especially noticeable on To The Bone which really tried to take his music in a different direction, yet you still had the 9 minute Detonation towards the end which felt almost shoved in to add some progressive rock flavor on an album that was otherwise more focused on other genres.

His solo career has been pretty good overall though, even if I think HCE is overrated, The Future Bites is pretty solid and I'm enjoying it but I also don't know if the highs are there for me to rank it THAT high. That's my main issue with his last 3 (TFB, TTB, HCE) is that across all of them, I think Routine is the only song I would say is a top tier SW song.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2021, 02:55:52 AM »

Don't worry, I'm 27 and I ONLY listen to full albums and hate playlists (except for the 100 song long "Summer 80s" playlist for drinking vacation with my buddies).
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2021, 04:45:07 AM »
Had my first listen this morning. A couple of first impressions, I guess:

- Steven Wilson definitely took inspiration from OK Computer; sound-wise and stylistically I think both albums are very similar.
- 12 Things I Forgot might be one of the best tracks he's written in years
- Am I the only one who hears a slight nod to Nowhere Now in the lyrics to Follower? 'Too much everything' can't really be a coincidence, so it's probably intentional
- There's a lot of downtempo stuff. That's a shame, I would have liked a little more upbeat SW stuff
- This is not a bad album, but I can see why SW's hardcore prog-fans will be annoyed.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2021, 05:41:33 AM »

Don't worry, I'm 27 and I ONLY listen to full albums and hate playlists (except for the 100 song long "Summer 80s" playlist for drinking vacation with my buddies).
I'm almost entirely an album listener too, but I don't normally bother listening to an album unless I like it enough (or enough of it). So one thing I've started to do more these days is downloading or making playlists of songs I like (and that work well enough on their own) that are from albums I'm not as keen on. For example, I own 9 Iron Maiden albums either on CD or digitally, but then I also have a "Best of the Rest" playlist with ~80 mins worth of songs I really dig from other albums that I almost certainly wouldn't put on.

I can see myself doing this with some of SW's stuff. I literally never listen to Grace for Drowning and haven't done pretty much since around the time it came out, but I know I love some of the songs on it (although I'll need to listen again to remind myself of which ones they are :lol). So I might well make myself a playlist including songs from GFD plus Self, 12 Things and Personal Shopper, to go alongside the other albums all of which I like more and listen to.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2021, 08:30:34 AM »
Digitally I am a playlist guy. A lot of my favourite songs are surrounded by songs I don't care for that much, after all. And making well flowing playlists is a thing I enjoy. The albums I like a lot I will buy on vinyl and then listen to it as a whole. The format kind of makes you do that. Not that I don't listen to entire albums digitally, I do that as well, but I have a lot of playlists that match my taste. And I enjoy exploring playlists on youtube and spotify to discover new music.

Offline genome

« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2021, 08:42:28 AM »
After giving it a few more listens, I really really like Man of the People and Count of Unease. 12 Things is also good.

I agree that the rest of the album feels a little cold. It's good music with some good moments (the middle of Personal Shopper with Elton John is great, as is the toetappin' 2nd half of Follower), I just feel it's lacking that Wilson charisma that To The Bone, while accessible like this album, had plenty of.

Online faizoff

« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2021, 08:51:46 AM »
You're right about the 2nd half of Follower, very toe tapping. I think Personal Shopper might be my favorite track so far. Listening to the high res stereo mix on the Blu-ray is such a joy. Getting more and more familiar with the album now.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Kram

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2021, 01:51:27 PM »
1. The Raven That Refused to Sing
2. Hand. Cannot. Erase.

3. Insurgentes
4. To The Bone

5. Grace for Drowning

6. The Future Bites

To be fair I've only heard about 1/2 of The Future Bites - but that's enough to tell it's no where near the top of his discography for me.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2021, 02:24:38 PM »
After a few more spins of Future Bites I'm feeling:

1. Insurgentes
2. Grace For Drowning
3. The Raven That Refused to Sing
4. The Future Bites
5. Hand Cannot Erase
6. To the Bone

Offline romdrums

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2021, 03:01:06 PM »
Not really feeling the new album outside of the last three tracks.  This feels like his first misstep in his solo career, in my opinion anyway.  I'm hoping this gets better with more listens. 

Current rankings:

Raven
Hand
To the Bone
Insurgentes
Grace
Future

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2021, 06:54:21 PM »
To explain the playlist thing a little better, I am not totally opposed to them.  I have a super duper 80's playlist, probably because I am not an album guy when it comes to Wham, Bananarama, A Flock of Seagulls and Debbie Gibson :lol. and I like to shuffle with favorite artists all the time, but I still love the idea of getting a new album by one of my favorites and living with it for a few weeks rather than immediately grabbing the early favorites and moving them to a playlist and never really getting back to the album.  Not that I am saying anyone here does that or that I was accusing anyone of that, just explaining my thought process a little better. We all have our own ways of getting into new music.  :)

Online faizoff

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2021, 07:39:36 PM »
Wolfgang and Wilson have made up on Twitter. Don't why it's still surprising to me that Wolfgang is a fan of Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson's solo albums.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2021, 07:45:02 PM »
Yeah, I saw SW's apology. That was nice of him to do considering it was a non-story, but a nice touch to reach out to Wolfie.