Author Topic: Steven Wilson solo career thread - v. The Harmony Codex in 2023!  (Read 59697 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Steven Wilson solo career thread - v. The Future Bites
« Reply #245 on: February 24, 2021, 10:43:21 AM »

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #246 on: February 24, 2021, 11:12:11 AM »
Lol some people...

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #247 on: February 24, 2021, 11:40:59 AM »
The best part is they still bought it... :rollin
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #248 on: February 24, 2021, 02:19:01 PM »
Well, they may have bought it without hearing any of it first, there are some of us who still do that.

I know that if I had bought this album expecting to hear something in the same vein as To The Bone I would have been disappointed.  I don't think I would have smashed it, thrown it in the trash and posted a picture of it online, but based on listening to the album once I know I'll never listen to it again.

I expected this, though since I really don't care for nearly 9 out of 10 songs he puts out.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #249 on: February 24, 2021, 02:21:09 PM »
I've only listened to it once thus far, but I expect to give it it's fair share of listens.  It just didn't grab me enough on first listen to immediately revisit it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #250 on: February 24, 2021, 06:16:30 PM »
Steven, Mikael, Portnoy and Devin would never actually agree to form a supergroup, but if they were absolutely forced to for some reason, I imagine it would go like this:

Steven and Mikael, being good friends, past collaborators, and the most similar in musical tastes, would immediately take the reigns and do whatever they'd want to do. They'd probably come up with something with a weird combination of influences that doesn't sound anything like conventional prog or even like Storm Corrosion (they've said if they were to do a follow-up to that album it would sound completely different). Portnoy would inevitably try to steer things in a more upbeat, proggy, or metal direction and likely get shot down by Steven and Mikael. In a repeat of the OSI sequence of events, he'd eventually give up, and in future interviews claim Steven and Mikael were "downers" and "difficult to work with" and that the project wasn't "what he hoped it would be".

Devin would be there. He'd play bass, sing on a few songs, maybe contribute a few musical ideas, but generally just sit back and let everyone else do their thing.

The album would be a disappointment to most people but it'd probably be quite good in its own weird way.

I don’t think Devin is the type to sit back at all.  Even on the Ayreon album he did, he flat out refused to appear unless he got to write his own parts.  I’m sure either he or Arjen said that Devin will not sing anything that someone else writes for him.  The only time he did was on that Vai album he did for Steve Vai.  I don’t think he hates that album and is still very friendly with Steve Vai but he has made comments before that he let other people control things back then as he was very young but would never give up control again.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #251 on: February 24, 2021, 09:51:10 PM »
I don’t think Devin is the type to sit back at all.  Even on the Ayreon album he did, he flat out refused to appear unless he got to write his own parts.  I’m sure either he or Arjen said that Devin will not sing anything that someone else writes for him.  The only time he did was on that Vai album he did for Steve Vai.  I don’t think he hates that album and is still very friendly with Steve Vai but he has made comments before that he let other people control things back then as he was very young but would never give up control again.

I think he's mellowed out a lot since then. I know he's appeared as a guest on a handful of songs since (Ihsahn, Gojira, that project with Floor Jansen that I can't even remember the name of) and I doubt he wrote all the melodies and lyrics for those as well.

I could be wrong here but the dude has so many potential projects going on at any given point that him not having much input over something that isn't entirely "his" likely wouldn't bother him at all, since if he's really itching to get a musical idea out he can just hold onto it and use it somewhere else.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #252 on: February 25, 2021, 02:06:38 AM »
The reason Steven and Mikael together makes sense outside them having worked together on Opeth albums in the past because they both share a love for weird music from the 60s/70s. If you go back to Heritage and Grace For Drowning you could sense a similar career path at the same time and it made sense for Storm Corrosion to become a thing.

Portnoy being linked to that 'supergroup' never made sense to me because he just feels so out of place in that situation. Steven and Mikael seem to have a very similar mindset and you add Portnoy and it suddenly feels very mismatched. I could see Devin with MP but not with SW or Mikael either. I think Steven and Mikael just don't seem to have much interest in what their peers are doing in progressive rock/metal and they have their other influences that unite them.

SW also seems like he wants to have a bit of space from the progressive rock/metal community and if you take something like the prog cruise for example, I couldn't even imagine SW doing that in my dreams.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #253 on: February 25, 2021, 04:50:26 AM »
The reason Steven and Mikael together makes sense outside them having worked together on Opeth albums in the past because they both share a love for weird music from the 60s/70s. If you go back to Heritage and Grace For Drowning you could sense a similar career path at the same time and it made sense for Storm Corrosion to become a thing.

Portnoy being linked to that 'supergroup' never made sense to me because he just feels so out of place in that situation. Steven and Mikael seem to have a very similar mindset and you add Portnoy and it suddenly feels very mismatched. I could see Devin with MP but not with SW or Mikael either. I think Steven and Mikael just don't seem to have much interest in what their peers are doing in progressive rock/metal and they have their other influences that unite them.

SW also seems like he wants to have a bit of space from the progressive rock/metal community and if you take something like the prog cruise for example, I couldn't even imagine SW doing that in my dreams.

Yeah, I think Portnoy was looking to make a metal album with Akerfeldt and SW.  They decided to go down a different route and therefore didn’t need him.  He definitely wouldn’t be a fit for Storm Corrosion.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #254 on: March 08, 2021, 04:32:32 AM »
"'Steven Wilson - Footprints' is an astoundingly detailed 3 volume illustrated encyclopaedia of my musical output, from my solo work to Porcupine Tree, no-man, Bass Communion and more. The effort and work that has gone into this by Guy M Tkach, Peter M Sieker and Chip Madinger is nothing short of astounding and I’m flattered they took on such a task and mightily impressed with what they have achieved. Check out the first volume at stevenwilson-footprints.com."
The first volume is about early years and Porcupine Tree.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline pfillion

« Reply #255 on: March 08, 2021, 11:56:25 AM »
Richard Barbieri said that Steven seems to have changed his mind about the future of Porcupine Tree.  They will probably record another album at some point in the future.

https://youtu.be/K2UqcXmpnZU

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #256 on: March 08, 2021, 12:00:46 PM »
"'Steven Wilson - Footprints' is an astoundingly detailed 3 volume illustrated encyclopaedia of my musical output, from my solo work to Porcupine Tree, no-man, Bass Communion and more. The effort and work that has gone into this by Guy M Tkach, Peter M Sieker and Chip Madinger is nothing short of astounding and I’m flattered they took on such a task and mightily impressed with what they have achieved. Check out the first volume at stevenwilson-footprints.com."
The first volume is about early years and Porcupine Tree.
This looks extremely interesting, but am I understanding correctly that this is basically an ebook?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #257 on: March 08, 2021, 12:02:16 PM »
Richard Barbieri said that Steven seems to have changed his mind about the future of Porcupine Tree.  They will probably record another album at some point in the future.

Why do I get the feeling someone's words got twisted and misinterpreted here :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline pfillion

« Reply #258 on: March 08, 2021, 12:14:43 PM »

Why do I get the feeling someone's words got twisted and misinterpreted here :lol

Possibly.  He would have said that in this interview: https://youtu.be/EnXVtDP0lKI

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #259 on: March 08, 2021, 06:22:49 PM »
Time stamps in these interviews would be helpful, in regards to the alleged PT thing. ;)

Offline pfillion

« Reply #260 on: March 08, 2021, 06:53:43 PM »
Time stamps in these interviews would be helpful, in regards to the alleged PT thing. ;)

At around 12 minutes

« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 07:11:32 PM by pfillion »

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: March 09, 2021, 01:55:00 AM »
Steven himself said in an interview recently that a new Porcupine Tree album will probably appear out of nowhere in future.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #262 on: March 09, 2021, 03:37:22 PM »

At around 12 minutes

Got it.  I see that Barbieri, like Wilson, wasn't overly thrilled with The Incident.  I'd love to see them get back together if it's organic and natural (they are my 2nd all-time favorite band after all, behind Rush), not just because, hey, why not.  One thing is for sure, all of those Wilson fans that went running for the hills because of The Future Bites would be pulling hamstrings doing that quick 360 to jump back on the SW bandwagon. :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #263 on: March 09, 2021, 04:11:44 PM »

At around 12 minutes

Got it.  I see that Barbieri, like Wilson, wasn't overly thrilled with The Incident.  I'd love to see them get back together if it's organic and natural (they are my 2nd all-time favorite band after all, behind Rush), not just because, hey, why not.  One thing is for sure, all of those Wilson fans that went running for the hills because of The Future Bites would be pulling hamstrings doing that quick 360 to jump back on the SW bandwagon. :lol

It would be really funny if SW did bring PT back and their sound ended up sounding more like his recent solo stuff than classic mid-to-late PT. Could you imagine, like if it was a mixture of early PT (Radioactive Toy sort of stuff) and his sounds on TFB? I'm sure "the fans" would go ballistic!  :lol

If there happens to be a sort of reunion album, I'll definitely have to keep my expectations in check, especially after over a decade of wondering whether or not it might happen.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: March 09, 2021, 08:15:07 PM »

At around 12 minutes

It would be really funny if SW did bring PT back and their sound ended up sounding more like his recent solo stuff than classic mid-to-late PT. Could you imagine, like if it was a mixture of early PT (Radioactive Toy sort of stuff) and his sounds on TFB? I'm sure "the fans" would go ballistic!  :lol

If there happens to be a sort of reunion album, I'll definitely have to keep my expectations in check, especially after over a decade of wondering whether or not it might happen.

-Marc.

You said it perfectly. I'd love to hear more PT but if it's similar to what he has been doing solo then it might not be my cup of tea.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #265 on: March 09, 2021, 08:22:13 PM »

At around 12 minutes

-Marc.

I would laughing my ass off, and enjoying the live show with these new songs included.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #266 on: March 09, 2021, 08:30:49 PM »
Even Wilson did decide to get PT back together, I wonder if Gavin Harrison would toss the Pineapple Thief in the trash heap to return to PT if the schedules conflicted.  I suspect Porcupine Tree would be a better paying gig by a good distance, but it could be a one and done deal if Wilson decides to do one new album and tour and then disband it again, and Harrison may not want to burn the other bridge.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #267 on: March 09, 2021, 08:52:33 PM »
There have been points in his solo career that I’ve actually had a tough time distinguishing.

If you could go back in time to 2008 and play Raven and HCE for my past self, and then tell me they were PT’s follow ups to Blank Planet, I would totally believe you.

EDIT - I would not say that about any of the other four of his solo albums
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #268 on: March 10, 2021, 10:41:07 AM »
Even Wilson did decide to get PT back together, I wonder if Gavin Harrison would toss the Pineapple Thief in the trash heap to return to PT if the schedules conflicted.  I suspect Porcupine Tree would be a better paying gig by a good distance, but it could be a one and done deal if Wilson decides to do one new album and tour and then disband it again, and Harrison may not want to burn the other bridge.

I honestly could see Steven bringing in a new drummer for Porcupine Tree. After all, Gavin replaced Chris Maitland, so if any one position was changed, I think changing drummers might not be a horrible thing. Maybe he'd get Chris back? That would be quite the move, but I would imagine that might also influence the sound a bit. I think if Steven and Richard have talked about it, they're both definitely in and I'm sure Colin would be as well.

Of course, there are plenty of choices for drummers outside of Gavin and Chris - Marco Minnemann would be an obvious choice, but he seems pretty busy with his own stuff and with Randy McStine. There's also Craig Blundell, but it also seems like he is always busy with stuff as well (especially since bowing out of Frost*). I could hear Thomas Lang drumming for PT, I think his style could be a good fit for them.

No matter what, though, whoever sits on the drum throne for any kind of PT reunion, there will be disappointed fans, especially if it isn't Gavin Harrison.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #269 on: March 10, 2021, 10:54:40 AM »
Did Minnemann have a falling out with Steven Wilson after H.C.E. was recorded? I vaguely remember something like that, though I could be confusing it with him whining about the DT drummer audition documentary. :P

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #270 on: March 10, 2021, 11:05:42 AM »
Did Minnemann have a falling out with Steven Wilson after H.C.E. was recorded? I vaguely remember something like that, though I could be confusing it with him whining about the DT drummer audition documentary. :P

Yes, they did have a fallout on some award (or Grammy for HCE). Something like that.

If I were Gavin, I would keep my toes in both bands. Steven is going to go solo after that next PT album/touring cycle that's potentially brewing. Gavin seems to be having more fun with Crimson and Pineapple than with PT (have seen Gavin will all 3 bands).

Offline pfillion

« Reply #271 on: March 10, 2021, 11:14:30 AM »
I cannot imagine a new PT album without Gavin. 

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #272 on: March 10, 2021, 11:50:25 AM »
I cannot imagine a new PT album without Gavin.

They made some of their best albums without him and there's more albums without him than with him. :P

If PT were to make a new album and tour I would imagine it would fit in with Gavin's schedule allowing him to do the PT stuff without leaving Pineapple Thief. I doubt a new PT album/tour would mean anything in the bigger sense, it would just be a side thing to SW's solo stuff anyways.

Offline Kram

« Reply #273 on: March 10, 2021, 12:02:39 PM »

Yes he did, there's no way it would be Marco Minnemann lol.  And there's no way they bring back PT without Gavin

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #274 on: March 10, 2021, 12:59:45 PM »
I like Chris Maitland's drumming but if PT reuinited and toured there's no way he'd be able to perform Gavin Harrison's stuff live, so they'd need someone else.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #275 on: March 10, 2021, 01:18:43 PM »
I don't see a potential PT reunion as such a big commitment like f.e. joining Dream Theater. I think Bruce Soord and Steven Wilson know each other and I'm sure they could communicate to make their time schedules work for everyone.

If Steven Wilson makes a Porcupine Tree album without Gavin Harrison, I will freak out and break everything around me.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #276 on: March 10, 2021, 01:27:09 PM »
No Gav, no buy for me. Easy as that. (he is one of my heroes)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #277 on: March 10, 2021, 02:36:27 PM »
At this point, all the guys are considered a part of Porcupine Tree. Porcupine Tree is Gavin, Steven, Richard and Colin. To me, Porcupine Tree is established as one of those bands where it's all the members or bust. I would add John as well, as the 5th member live, he adds a whole lot to their sound live, one song he does this is in Way Out Of Here.

And you notice this difference if you watch Arriving Somewhere But Not Here played live by Stevens solo band. It just isn't the same without Colin, Richard, and Gavin.

But...I also wouldn't mind if Gavin couldn't for whatever reason, and they found a different drummer. All that would matter is if they are able to pull off Gavins complex parts, like The Pills I'm Taking, or pretty much all of Anesthetize.  :lol

Offline pfillion

« Reply #278 on: March 10, 2021, 02:47:09 PM »
I would add John as well, as the 5th member live, he adds a whole lot to their sound live, one song he does this is in Way Out Of Here.

I was hoping that John would be added as a permanent member of the band after The Incident.

You need to listen to this version of Fadeaway with John:  https://youtu.be/dfoUm_A3pqg
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 03:48:01 PM by pfillion »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #279 on: March 10, 2021, 03:21:11 PM »
John Wesley not working with SW anymore was the best thing about him disbanding PT a decade ago.  Watching his brutally bad renditions of SW's original guitar solos got too much to take.  If PT does get back together and tour, here's hoping they find a different 5th live member.