Author Topic: Steven Wilson solo career thread - v. The Harmony Codex in 2023!  (Read 60521 times)

Offline Peter Mc

Re: Steven Wilson solo career thread - v. The Future Bites
« Reply #175 on: February 09, 2021, 12:31:16 PM »
What I find funny about this is... This is a guy who made a song with lyrics "All the MTV and Cod Philosophy" on an album about the state of Children and their Social Disorders.

Daniel Gildenlow, the same with him. He made a song called America...

But Steven has shown his Bowie influence since the start...Radioactive Toy really has a Space Oddity vibe in it's delivery.

I always found Radioactive Toy to be pretty much a pure Pink Floyd pastiche.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #176 on: February 09, 2021, 12:52:28 PM »
Sometimes I imagine that there's a device called pretentiousmeter. It can basically output an alarm of sort if a discussion or the vibe in a room becomes to pretentious. However all devices needs to be calibrated and that's where I imagine you put Steven and Daniel Gildenlöw alone in a room for 1 hour. Ask them what they think about being part of the prog metal genre and how influenced they are by Yngvie Malmsteen solos.

Fuck, I rolled hard at this  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #177 on: February 09, 2021, 01:09:01 PM »
ego/narcissism meter.

Offline Kram

« Reply #178 on: February 09, 2021, 04:50:08 PM »
I know there's that "actors on actors" type videos and I would definitely be intrigued to watch Daniel Gildenlöw and Steven Wilson have a discussion. I'm sure they don't particularly care for each other's music (but they might have mutual respect) but they are both big ego's and kinda buy into the 'god' hype created by the fans.

I'm sure Steven Wilson would say he doesn't know who Daniel is, like he said about Devin Townsend.  He's more "mainstream" now and above that sort of music of course.  The only reason he can't pretend he doesn't know Transatlantic is because of his past with Portnoy, being a big fan of PT and taking them out with DT.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #179 on: February 09, 2021, 05:02:05 PM »
I know there's that "actors on actors" type videos and I would definitely be intrigued to watch Daniel Gildenlöw and Steven Wilson have a discussion. I'm sure they don't particularly care for each other's music (but they might have mutual respect) but they are both big ego's and kinda buy into the 'god' hype created by the fans.

I'm sure Steven Wilson would say he doesn't know who Daniel is, like he said about Devin Townsend.  He's more "mainstream" now and above that sort of music of course.  The only reason he can't pretend he doesn't know Transatlantic is because of his past with Portnoy, being a big fan of PT and taking them out with DT.

A quick google search showed me an interview from 2013 where he said he was a big fan of Daniel.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kram

« Reply #180 on: February 09, 2021, 05:13:29 PM »

A quick google search showed me an interview from 2013 where he said he was a big fan of Daniel.

Yes, but that was 2013 when he was more "prog".  Now he's more "mainstream", as he's disassociated himself from his prog past.  I kid of course, but that's how he comes across to me.  I'm sure he's heard of Devin Townsend (probably not a fan) but comes across as he's "above that" - and I think that's what rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #181 on: February 09, 2021, 05:23:35 PM »
Finally listening to the album. Not great tbh, but not bad at all. It kinda feels like dad music a bit lol.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #182 on: February 09, 2021, 06:30:12 PM »

Yes, but that was 2013 when he was more "prog".  Now he's more "mainstream", as he's disassociated himself from his prog past.  I kid of course, but that's how he comes across to me.  I'm sure he's heard of Devin Townsend (probably not a fan) but comes across as he's "above that" - and I think that's what rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

With all due respect, this is a bad take. I seriously doubt he is pretending to be unfamiliar with an artist he actually is. It's not like Devin Townsend (of whom I am a big fan) is a household name. 

Offline Kram

« Reply #183 on: February 09, 2021, 06:52:49 PM »

With all due respect, this is a bad take. I seriously doubt he is pretending to be unfamiliar with an artist he actually is. It's not like Devin Townsend (of whom I am a big fan) is a household name.

Well I did say I was kidding for the most part.  I have no idea if he know's who Devin is or not.  My main point is, to me, he comes across as is he feels he's "above" the prog genre, and it's fans, which is pretty much all of us - and that's what rubs me, and others the wrong way.  And I say that as a pretty big SW fan.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #184 on: February 09, 2021, 07:00:11 PM »

Well I did say I was kidding for the most part.  I have no idea if he know's who Devin is or not.  My main point is, to me, he comes across as is he feels he's "above" the prog genre, and it's fans, which is pretty much all of us - and that's what rubs me, and others the wrong way.  And I say that as a pretty big SW fan.

I don't think he wants to be thought of as belonging to any one genre, and because of the negative, unfair negative stereotypes about prog that is pretty widespread, I think he wants to avoid being thought of as "just prog" for that very reason.  While some embrace the prog tag, he tries to avoid it, which I agree can be odd considering how much of his music falls under the prog banner, not to mention that he has done the 5.1 for a lot of older prog acts now, so it sure does seem like he wants it both ways.  I totally get that.  But I do think he craves more mainstream success, and I think he knows that the minute many think, "prog artist," when they hear his name, doors will be slammed.  Sadly, the stereotypes that prog is nothing but overblown excess like Tales from Topographic Oceans and pompous attitudes like the ones portrayed by ELP in the 70's linger.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #185 on: February 09, 2021, 08:56:15 PM »
I get the whiff, though, that he wants it both ways.  "I'm not prog!" but "I'm a prog god!".  I know he's never said that, to my knowledge, but look at his production and remixing work; it's almost all hard core prog.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #186 on: February 09, 2021, 09:19:15 PM »
https://twitter.com/stevenwilsonhq/status/1040373852218556421

Prog Awards tonight! @ProgMagazineUK
 #progawards2018

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #187 on: February 09, 2021, 11:57:51 PM »
It’s refreshing to hear a musician/public figure actually give an honest opinion rather than fashion the least offensive response possible for a given situation. So much stuff feels like a PR statement nowadays where you can’t express an honest thought without some kind of backlash.

I fully agree.

But it can really bother people, as you may have noticed by reading this thread  :lol

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #188 on: February 10, 2021, 03:49:24 AM »

Well NOW you're just making up stuff. It's okay to dedicate pages of discussion to two things he said in interviews rather than talk about his new album. But judging him for what he probably would say goes too far in my opinion.

Edit, I just saw you posted that you were kidding... still, I can't take this discussion about this guy anymore  :lol
any rock can be made to roll

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: February 10, 2021, 04:28:30 AM »
https://twitter.com/stevenwilsonhq/status/1040373852218556421

Prog Awards tonight! @ProgMagazineUK
 #progawards2018

Some of the comments to that tweet are nauseating.  :) :)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #190 on: February 10, 2021, 07:45:02 AM »
The thought of Steven Wilson pretending to not know who some bands/artists are does sound like a conspiracy theory but I honestly wouldn't be that surprised if it was the case. Working within the prog rock community (which isn't THAT huge let's be honest) for 20 years and not having come across the name Devin Townsend even once or having the bare minimum knowledge about his work seems far fetched. Sure you don't have to be familiar with all the music of your 'rivals' within the same space, but Devin Townsend within the prog community is still a name big enough that you would expect it to be mentioned at least once by someone (in whatever context).

I'm not a huge fan when he does the 'pretend to not know band X to seem above them' because honestly in the big scope of things you could ask 100 people on the street about his name and you would get a lot of blank stares. It's cool that he got Elton John on the new album and all though.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #191 on: February 10, 2021, 08:00:01 AM »
Listened to TFB today. Mostly in the background.

I don't love it. I don't hate it.

It'll take a while to sink in. TTB just recently clicked, so It's going to be a while.

It’s really great background music tbh. I like the soundscape a lot, but the lyrics are tough (always are for me with SW). I mean I listen to SELF and just feel sorry for the guy. Hope he enjoys the ride.

I've never felt as indifferent about a new SW album as I am now, but it sure is good background music. The first ever SW album I can put on in the background while cooking with my girlfriend, without it ever interfering too much. Usually there's always some loud proggy sections that can kind of get on her nerves.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #192 on: February 10, 2021, 08:19:30 AM »
The thought of Steven Wilson pretending to not know who some bands/artists are does sound like a conspiracy theory but I honestly wouldn't be that surprised if it was the case. Working within the prog rock community (which isn't THAT huge let's be honest) for 20 years and not having come across the name Devin Townsend even once or having the bare minimum knowledge about his work seems far fetched. Sure you don't have to be familiar with all the music of your 'rivals' within the same space, but Devin Townsend within the prog community is still a name big enough that you would expect it to be mentioned at least once by someone (in whatever context).

I was holding my breath for SW's response when the interviewer brought up Devin Townsend's Empath. I just can't imagine him liking Devin's music but I totally WTF'ed when he said he doesn't know who fookin' Devin Townsend is. I really get the feeling he just doesn't want to be associated (anymore) with prog metal.

Same with Frost*, I mean.. he hasn't heard of Frost* and yet he covers a song by Lonely Robot (side project from one of the dudes of Frost*, John Mitchell if I recall correctly).
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: February 10, 2021, 10:15:48 AM »

I find it very hard to believe he "hasn't heard of" Frost* or Devin Townsend. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: February 10, 2021, 10:17:55 AM »
Yeah that's like when people go like " what's that band you say you like / Dreeeeeeeem theatarrrr or..something i dunno ? "

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: February 10, 2021, 10:42:08 AM »
Well, no, actually that's not the same thing.  Most of the people I have in my life are absolutely clueless about Dream Theater because they're not "into" progressive metal music.  They listen to whatever is on the radio.

Steven Wilson, a guy who, up until just a couple of years ago was pumping out prog album after prog album after prog album and even mixing and producing stuff from bands like Opeth and he's going to claim he has no idea who Devin Townsend is?  That's completely different than your friends and acquaintances not knowing who Dream Theater are.

Offline Kram

« Reply #196 on: February 10, 2021, 10:43:59 AM »

I was holding my breath for SW's response when the interviewer brought up Devin Townsend's Empath. I just can't imagine him liking Devin's music but I totally WTF'ed when he said he doesn't know who fookin' Devin Townsend is. I really get the feeling he just doesn't want to be associated (anymore) with prog metal.

Same with Frost*, I mean.. he hasn't heard of Frost* and yet he covers a song by Lonely Robot (side project from one of the dudes of Frost*, John Mitchell if I recall correctly).

Plus his drummer for 3-4 years, Craig Blundell, was in Frost*

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: February 10, 2021, 10:46:03 AM »
holy shit, I didn't know that, wow  :lol 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #198 on: February 10, 2021, 10:50:01 AM »
That just makes me think, when he says "Heard", he actually means to say "Listen" as in he hasn't listened to their music, and therefore hasn't heard of them.

And it's also possible to be aware of someone and not know every project they are involved in. You can know a person based off an unknown project or some other way, without knowing anything about their major project.

It's easy. They don't go onto forums, or Facebook, or anything online, and go out of there way to look for these bands or interests that many of us lovers of prog music do. They just make music, and do interviews, and live their life outside of that music world. Some musicians neglect that entirely while enjoying their life.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: February 10, 2021, 11:28:19 AM »
He's on the cover of the new "Prog" magazine issue advertisement

I wonder how he feels about that?  :lol

Offline Kram

« Reply #200 on: February 10, 2021, 11:41:23 AM »
That just makes me think, when he says "Heard", he actually means to say "Listen" as in he hasn't listened to their music, and therefore hasn't heard of them.

And it's also possible to be aware of someone and not know every project they are involved in. You can know a person based off an unknown project or some other way, without knowing anything about their major project.

It's easy. They don't go onto forums, or Facebook, or anything online, and go out of there way to look for these bands or interests that many of us lovers of prog music do. They just make music, and do interviews, and live their life outside of that music world. Some musicians neglect that entirely while enjoying their life.

I don't know - if you watch that video he comes across as if he's never heard of them before.  I believe he said something like - these are artists I know nothing about, I'll have to check them out - or something like that.  Who really knows, but to me, it just seems like it's his "schtick", to distance himself from the 'stigma' of being associated as a prog artist, or with the prog genre.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #201 on: February 10, 2021, 12:38:19 PM »

I don't know - if you watch that video he comes across as if he's never heard of them before.  I believe he said something like - these are artists I know nothing about, I'll have to check them out - or something like that.  Who really knows, but to me, it just seems like it's his "schtick", to distance himself from the 'stigma' of being associated as a prog artist, or with the prog genre.

:lol :lol okay...

I don't even read interviews much. But did because people here were discussing it. So I had to see what the fuss was about.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline DTA

« Reply #202 on: February 10, 2021, 02:53:24 PM »
Outtake "The Tastemaker" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEWYn1G1U2I

Great song and would've fit on the album perfectly after Self if I was assembling the tracklist.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #203 on: February 10, 2021, 05:56:21 PM »
Outtake "The Tastemaker" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEWYn1G1U2I

Great song and would've fit on the album perfectly after Self if I was assembling the tracklist.

Solid tune.  I'll snag it once the guy who got the super duper box set puts it up digitally, which he has said he will do, but I doubt it'll be a song I get much mileage from.  Fits in stylistically with the rest of the album and the bonus songs, just not as good as most, IMO.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: February 11, 2021, 07:09:45 AM »
Well, no, actually that's not the same thing.  Most of the people I have in my life are absolutely clueless about Dream Theater because they're not "into" progressive metal music.  They listen to whatever is on the radio.

No I mean people who know full well who your fave band is - but pretend to not know to appear cool or like they only listen to underground music.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: February 11, 2021, 08:21:44 AM »
No offense to anyone's taste, but that song blows.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #206 on: February 11, 2021, 09:08:00 AM »
Sometimes it is just easier to state you don't know something, opposed to answering questions about your opinion on the subject. Especially when you opinion deviates from what people want to hear/expect to hear or if you think you don't have anything to add. I do kinda doubt Wilson does not know Townsend to at least some small degree, but I also would not hang any grand conclusions to that remark, such as him wanting to distance himself from prog.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 09:14:17 AM by ErHaO »

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #207 on: February 11, 2021, 09:22:54 AM »
Sometimes it is just easier to state you don't know something, opposed to answering questions about your opinion on the subject. Especially when you opinion deviates from what people want to hear/expect to hear or if you think you don't have anything to add. I do kinda doubt Wilson does not know Townsend to at least some small degree, but I also would not hang any grand conclusions to that remark, such as him wanting to distance himself from prog.

Then the interviewer shouldn't ask questions asking for their opinion.

And he should pander to others emotions because they can't handle that opinion. Seems like they need thicker skin...

I doubt Eddy would've cared about Stevens Opinions, the same Devin Townsend likely doesn't care about Stevens Opinions on him. The only ones whom seem to care are the fans, and that is just funny.

Offline Kram

« Reply #208 on: February 11, 2021, 10:57:00 AM »
Somebody needs to let Portnoy know about this.  I'll just leave this here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hKfEwwaDX8

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: February 11, 2021, 11:30:07 AM »
Can't decide if that or an Adrenaline Mob reunion would be a harder pass.  ;)  :)

(Not true; I'd pay to hear Mike play with Devin).