Author Topic: It was 19 years ago today...  (Read 5482 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
It was 19 years ago today...
« on: January 29, 2021, 03:25:49 PM »
...that Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence was released.

First off, I can't believe it's now been that long, and second, I will need to give it a fresh spin this weekend.  It's been a while.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Re: It was 19 years ago today...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 03:38:36 PM »
I can believe it. 6D was the second album cycle I got to experience since becoming a fan 4 years before and 10 days after 6D was released, I got to attend my second DT show. The excitement was real.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 03:41:54 PM »
I was a casual fan when this came out. A friend had illegally got the whole album before it's release and we listened to a bit but not too closely. He was also telling me about DT's first vocalist who was horrible and played a bit for me. He was pretty wrong about that but whatever.

I didn't bother getting 6DOIT until after I got Train of Thought the day it was released and really loved disc 2 but couldn't get into disc 1. Fast forward five years, I barely ever listen to disc 2 and find it pretty boring with only a few highlights. Disc 1, if taken on its own, would be Top 5 DT for me at this point. Pretty much flawless.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 04:05:08 PM »
I remember buying this album and not really knowing what to think at first. It was so different, and dense, that I was having some difficulty with it. Yet, later in the Spring, I think it was toward the end of April, I put disc one in the car stereo one Sunday morning on my way to the golf course. As I was pulling into the parking lot, Misunderstood came on and something in my brain just opened up. I sat there in the car cemented to the seat as the imagery of the music washed over me. I ended up turning around and going home to spend the rest of the afternoon with my headphones on and my eyes closed.

Still my favorite album to this day.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 04:28:34 PM »
January 2002, eh?

I had just been admitted to practice law less than two months earlier, and my wife and I were expecting our first child in a few months.

I don't have any specific recollection of the release of SDOIT.  I wasn't on any relevant internet groups, so I can't recall how I learned about the album (I had long since stopped listening to music on the radio, and there was no one at the time playing stuff like DT anyway).  I had, for reasons I can't recall, missed both the FII and SFAM tours.  My Amazon order history goes back to March 2002, and SDOIT is not in there.

I can always recall listening to SDOIT (primarily disc 2) on my long commute from West Los Angeles to Long Beach and, for whatever reason, I have a very specific recollection of listening to it on a particular route home (going over the two bridges at the Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach).

I really didn't care for disc 1 at the time.  I still prefer disc 2, but I eventually warmed up to the first three songs on disc 1 (Blind Faith in particular).

Because we had a newborn at home, I missed the SDOIT tour, so I've never seen SDOIT in its entirety, so I'm somewhat hoping they'll play it on the tour for DT15.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DTA

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 05:32:58 PM »
I remember getting a leaked copy in November 2001 and I played the shit out of it prior to the NYC BB Kings show in January 2002. The show was a week or two before the albums release but the entire crowd seemed to know the 3 yet-to-be-released 6 Degrees songs by heart already and I swear Petrucci looked a little pissed that fans were singing along to those songs. Great album and great tour as well. I have fond memories of me and my friends ditching high school to just drive around listening to this and Bridge Across Forever.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 05:40:49 PM »
Huh, I didn't know this album came out in the month of January. I remember the weather being warmer when I bought it. I must've gotten it in the spring or early summer of that year. I had become a fan of the band in 2001.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 07:16:00 PM »
19 years is crazy.

It's still one DT's most-modern sounding albums. One of my all-time favorites.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 10:17:02 PM »
I kinda checked out on DT, music, and, well, a lot of life in the late 90s. When I was getting back on track (and without being on the internet) I was browsing at the music store and saw DT had two new (to me) albums out, SFaM and 6D. I was pretty disappointed in FII after loving I&W and Awake, but decided they were worth the buy. Understatement of the year. Damn if these two albums didn't restore my love for the band. But who the heck is this new guy? I had never heard of Jordan before.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline illusionist

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2021, 01:30:57 AM »
I got it the day it came out.
I went home,i put the cd in my player,my headphones on and ithen..Glass Prison  :omg: :metal :hefdaddy

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2021, 05:29:39 AM »
I remember so clearly the day I got it, blasting Glass Prison in my room and Blind Faith and the other great songs..It took me days to really consume it and I loved it! After SFAM it was the real new DT album back then in the sense that they had their come back with the concept album, now it was the time to really take the music wherever they wanted. Also it was the second time I saw them live! So this album and that moment in time is so nostalgic to me!

Offline krands85

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2021, 06:28:52 AM »
One of my biggest 'regrets' about DT is how I haven't been able to get in to this album. It often seems to be considered one of the best 3 or 4 by most, certainly on here, but it has never been close to one of my favourites for some reason. I also adore the albums either side of it, which makes the situation more annoying!

It's not like I dislike it or anything, but The Glass Prison is the only song I count among one of my favourites by the band.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 06:36:40 AM »
I remember getting it and then thinking someone swapped disc 2 with Sesame Street on ice. Eventually, it became my #1 fave although it reminds me of my ex wife because we were together traveling about Florida listening to it together.  Bitch

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2021, 07:45:01 AM »
The band should celebrate the 20th anniversary of it next year!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2021, 07:49:30 AM »
Please. No. (and I think Scotty may agree with me on this)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2021, 07:52:40 AM »
I wasn't a fan when it was released (I got into them around 2007). It's in my "holy trinity" of DT albums, I rank it as #3 after I&W and SFAM.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2021, 08:45:24 AM »

Gods, no.

Just play The Glass Prison acknowledging it's the 20th year of the album and be done with it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2021, 08:57:31 AM »

I'm sure they will acknowledge it.  But not sure what a "celebration" of it would look like.  Personally, even though it is my favorite DT album, I wouldn't want a whole set dedicated to it, or for them to play the entire Six Degrees (song).  But I would not be surprised or disappointed if they dedicated part of their set to a Six Degrees suite like they did for Awake and Scenes on the Along for the Ride tour.  Maybe TGP, Misunderstood, and a couple of parts from Six Degrees.   
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2021, 08:59:15 AM »

I'm sure they will acknowledge it.  But not sure what a "celebration" of it would look like.  Personally, even though it is my favorite DT album, I wouldn't want a whole set dedicated to it, or for them to play the entire Six Degrees (song). But I would not be surprised or disappointed if they dedicated part of their set to a Six Degrees suite like they did for Awake and Scenes on the Along for the Ride tour.  Maybe TGP, Misunderstood, and a couple of parts from Six Degrees.

Seems to be the kind of thing they're doing though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2021, 09:21:09 AM »
The story about how I found out about this album is hilarious.

It was 2005 and I was 15 or 16 years old, having discovered DT the year before courtesy of raiding my brother's CD collection whilst he was away at uni. For the longest time, I had assumed that Train of Thought was the next album after Scenes, because it was unfathomable to me that such a high-profile band would release an album sooner than 3 or 4 years after the last one. Imagine my surprise when one fine summer's evening, I found this album in my brother's collection... and discovered that not only was there an album between Scenes and Train of Thought, two albums I had already listened the hell out of and loved, but the fact that this other album was a double disc album...  ;D

Then I actually listened to it. I think you guys can probably work out the rest  ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2021, 10:22:40 AM »
I remember 6 D's was at my house when I got home from work. I think I asked my wife to go pick it up.

I remember taking my discman into the bathroom and sitting there listening to The Glass Prison for the first time. I was blown away by it. I didn't think DT had a song in them that was that heavy. I literally listened to it a second time before moving on.

I thought Disc 1 was amazing. Still do, though TGP really hasn't aged all that well.

Disc 2, upon first listen, I thought it was an enormous waste of space. Some nice moments throughout but nothing that made me ever go Holy Shit!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2021, 12:28:42 PM »
I've got to know DT for real about 10 years ago, and listened to 6DOIT for the first time the next year, 2012. It was an instant catch, such a great and remarkable album. 19 years ago I was just 7 years old  :rollin wish I could've been into DT and prog music already :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2021, 01:03:26 PM »
I remember buying this in store with great excitement.  It may have been the first DT album since becoming a fan that I was able to wait until the release date and then go and buy.

I was blown away by disc 1.  I didn't like disc 2 at all though.   It took a long time for me to appreciate it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2021, 04:18:06 PM »
My first memories of hearing the album were listening to it over the phone because old-school forumer Bogie managed to get a copy of the album ahead of time. Don't think he played disc 2 at the time, but I think he played all of the first disc, and immediately TGD and especially Disappear stood out as early favorites. While my feelings on TGD have tapered off a bit over time (I still like it), Disappear still remains a top-10 DT song for me.

Yeah - no more complete album celebrations, please. As much as I love the album (in particular the first disc), I don't want to see them fall into the same trap that Yes has, playing one or more albums in their entirety on every tour. While great once and a while as an exception, it gets old if done all the time. And DT's done it a lot since MM's been in the band.
2014 – second half of Awake and a suite of SFaM tracks
2016 – all of TA
2017 – all of IaW
2019-20 – all of SFaM

Given their extensive catalog and all the stuff that hasn't been performed for many years, it would be nice to see them do a tour with a traditional setlist that contains a mix of stuff from their whole catalog along with a decent helping of material from their new album and even a rarity or two for the old school diehards.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2021, 04:19:55 PM »
Yeah - no more complete album celebrations, please. As much as I love the album (in particular the first disc), I don't want to see them fall into the same trap that Yes has, playing one or more albums in their entirety on every tour. While great once and a while as an exception, it gets old if done all the time. And DT's done it a lot since MM's been in the band.
2016 – all of TA
2017 – all of IaW
2019-20 – all of SFaM

TA doesn't count. It was the current tour. But I'm with you on rehashing old albums.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2021, 04:22:18 PM »
2016 – all of TA
2017 – all of IaW
2019-20 – all of SFaM

TA doesn't count. It was the current tour. But I'm with you on rehashing old albums.
It still counts because it was a full album - new or not.  :P

Don't get me wrong, I get why they performed the whole thing as they did, but it wasn't mandatory that they do. They could've done a compacted version for the first set and a second set and encore of older material. But they chose to play the whole thing. So IMO it counts.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2021, 05:49:36 PM »
I remember getting a leaked copy in November 2001 and I played the shit out of it prior to the NYC BB Kings show in January 2002. The show was a week or two before the albums release but the entire crowd seemed to know the 3 yet-to-be-released 6 Degrees songs by heart already and I swear Petrucci looked a little pissed that fans were singing along to those songs. Great album and great tour as well. I have fond memories of me and my friends ditching high school to just drive around listening to this and Bridge Across Forever.

This was me. I had the 2CD advanced copy for about month before the BB Kings show.  Remember waiting outside in the sleet and running into friends who walked by us on their way out of the city. Those two Beacon shows in March of that year are two of my favorite Dream Theater shows ever. That BB Kings show was a nice gift.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2021, 05:51:58 PM »

I'd love that as much as I see no chance of this happening.

Offline HOF

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2021, 10:01:07 PM »
This was the first DT album I was able to pick up on release day (though I was already a pretty big fan when SFAM came out, I couldn’t get a copy in the town where I lived until a little while after it came out). I was in college and didn’t have a car. A friend with a car took me to pick it up, knowing what a big fan I was. We all flipped out when the sirens kicked in on The Glass Prison.

At the time I was pretty excited by it, but the metal parts were a bit much for me and it didn’t hold up all that well past the initial impressions. I do think Blind Faith is a great song, and Solitary Soul remains a favorite. I’ve always thought the ending of Losing Time was a real let down. The verse is cool and I thought it was going to go into a nice little verse/chorus/verse with a big guitar solo to end or something. Instead it goes into that cheesy recap of all the themes in a Sesame Street “what did we learn today” type of way to end it (they did the same thing on Octavarium).

Offline Volante99

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2021, 10:02:13 PM »

I'd love that as much as I see no chance of this happening.

I’d be down for them play a “best of” similar to what they did with Awake during the Along for the Ride Tour- been a loooong time since they busted out a lot of these songs

Glass Prison
Blind Faith
About to Crash
Goodnight Kiss
Solitary Shell
About to Crash Reprise

The rest I could take or leave

Offline DTA

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2021, 04:54:19 AM »

This was me. I had the 2CD advanced copy for about month before the BB Kings show.  Remember waiting outside in the sleet and running into friends who walked by us on their way out of the city. Those two Beacon shows in March of that year are two of my favorite Dream Theater shows ever. That BB Kings show was a nice gift.

That snow was absolutely brutal. I'm down near Philly and it was barely snowing so we didn't wear much beyond hoodies and waited in line for at least 6-8 hours in the freezing sleet/snow. I think we took turns hanging out in Burger King. The long wait paid off as I managed to get to the front of the stage and even got to sing a chorus of Pull Me Under when James put the mic into the crowd. Such an amazing experience for 16 year old me. :metal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2021, 06:19:55 AM »
Funny Story !

I was working in a charity (thrift store?) shop in 2009 and I was slowly getting DT albums on CD. The next one I planned to buy was

Six Degrees of inner Turbulence.

One day I was in the shop and someone brings in a boat load of "stuff" (junk he couldnt be bothered taking to the dump essentially) - and lying on top

was 6DOIT on CD. I asked the manager if I could buy it and she said 'just have it :)" . So I got it for nothing.  :D

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2021, 07:27:39 AM »
I remember getting into DT at this time. I was working at McD's and my buddy told me to check out ytse jam (downloaded it through KaZaa) and it had just the drum solo. I thought it was cool and moved on. One day I was bored and I went to DT's site, saw they have a new album which had just come out and it was SDOIT. I downloaded the first track which was TGP and I was floored. Bought the CD the next day and I've been a fan since.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2021, 09:10:56 AM »
James, John, Jordan and MP signed my copy of the album (which I'll always keep)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2021, 02:16:35 PM »
It was an interesting adjustment going from 6 Degrees of Radio Edits, which I had listened nonstop (when the disc arrived from the fan club well before the album release), to the actual album cuts.  Sometimes first impressions are hard to undo.  So in an way, those edited versions felt more immediate and correct to me, so by the time I heard the album, it felt like there was a lot of fat on the bone that could have been trimmed.  However, if I became familiar with the album version first, it would have been a different story.