Author Topic: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !  (Read 38099 times)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Re: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2021, 06:29:21 AM »
In rock and metal music, lots of riffs get repeated without any variation whatsoever.
Green Day's entire discography is built on three chords.
Bob Dylan's too.
Metallica's riffs all sound the same (or at least similar).
Hotel California uses the same chord progression throughout the entire song and switches it around on the chorus.
In the rock-'n-roll age everybody was doing the 12 bar blues progression (and lots of people still do).
Sex Machine by James Brown uses just two chords.
Some terrible rap track I heard last week featured the same three-note keyboard melody looped throughout the entire track.

There are only so many ideas, right? Sure, Sheeran's dull but arguably not as samey as Metallica or Testament?
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2021, 07:37:29 AM »
it's like - his song The A Team could be literally ANYBODY at an open mic night anywhere. It's so generic and obvious.

Yet nobody did until Ed Sheeran recorded that track and it became popular.

I meant singer songwriters at open mic nights. All their songs are the same 4 chord generic cookie cutter song as The A Team. Yet Sheeran is a signed artist.

I think that's a shade simplistic.  By that light, Bruce Springsteen is a "singer songwriter".  Again, I'm no Ed Sheeran fan, but I also know my wife saw him open for Taylor Swift, and he stood there in front of a stadium, no backing band, just his guitar and one of those loop boxes and entertained 60,000 people for an hour.   That's not "singer songwriters at an open mic night".   You're also just talking about one song (which I hate, by the way). 

I know some of you are going to latch onto the "counting sales" part, but that would be missing the forest for the trees:  this is a great article on why you know Ed Sheeran.   If any of you have seen the Springsteen on Broadway show, you know that this is a similar story.   He just wanted it more.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2021, 10:24:05 AM »
it's like - his song The A Team could be literally ANYBODY at an open mic night anywhere. It's so generic and obvious.

Yet nobody did until Ed Sheeran recorded that track and it became popular.

I meant singer songwriters at open mic nights. All their songs are the same 4 chord generic cookie cutter song as The A Team. Yet Sheeran is a signed artist.

I think that's a shade simplistic.  By that light, Bruce Springsteen is a "singer songwriter".  Again, I'm no Ed Sheeran fan, but I also know my wife saw him open for Taylor Swift, and he stood there in front of a stadium, no backing band, just his guitar and one of those loop boxes and entertained 60,000 people for an hour.   That's not "singer songwriters at an open mic night".   You're also just talking about one song (which I hate, by the way). 

I know some of you are going to latch onto the "counting sales" part, but that would be missing the forest for the trees:  this is a great article on why you know Ed Sheeran.   If any of you have seen the Springsteen on Broadway show, you know that this is a similar story.   He just wanted it more.

That just sounds like he's stuck in a really strict record contract, in order for him to able to be that famous and able to go onto those talk shows, and those big tv events. There is a reason why you always see those big names at those events. And why, these teen stars get so famous. His parents just weren't the type like the other parents were who pushed their child star into a mental breakdown.

And my does that person have a hard on for Ed Sheeran.  :lol

I am sure, there are band members whom would gladly tell you stories of record contracts they got offered and gladly declined, and what was on those contracts.

Neal Morse started Radiant Records, his own label, also for this very reason of the Major Labels and their insane contracts.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2021, 03:11:57 PM »
There are definitely talentless hacks making pop music, but Ed Sheeran isn't one of them.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2021, 03:19:30 AM »
And Drake definitely is one of them.

I was in a shop and there was a track on the radio which was so banal I had to google the lyrics and it was " God's Plan " by Drake.

Dear me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2021, 07:45:24 AM »
I'm not suggesting that anyone should spend even a minute with music they don't like - there's too much good stuff out there - but my daughter and I have a rule:  if one of us asks the other to listen to a song, we commit to it.  As a result, she's a huge Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Kiss and Beatles fan, and I'm proud to say that her "80's playlist" would fit right in with most of the people here, judging by the various threads I read/participate in.   

In that process, I've committed to listening to Ed Sheeran (didn't do anything for me), Taylor Swift (she's like U2; what I like I REALLY like, but there's a lot I could skip), One Direction (more on this in a minute) and Harry Styles (who I like, and have seen live once and will go again).

And here's the point:  I can play you five songs from 1D and you'd all be (rightly) like "wow, does that suck hard".   Banal wouldn't be the word.   Here's the deal, though:  they have five albums, and they are not puppets or Milli Vanilli.  They all wanted to be musicians as well as popstars, and while you can say they "sold out", every album has a couple songs buried deep that aren't sugary pap.   "Once In A Lifetime" makes me cry almost every time I hear it.  Beautiful song.   I'm not saying everyone has to love every band - I don't - but I think reserving judgment on one song, or even just the radio hits might sometimes not give the full picture.   There are well-respected rock and pop and prog acts that have sold out just as badly as some of these pop stars, they just didn't get the pot of gold at the end of the tunnel.   

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2021, 07:49:39 AM »
I'm not suggesting that anyone should spend even a minute with music they don't like - there's too much good stuff out there - but my daughter and I have a rule:  if one of us asks the other to listen to a song, we commit to it.  As a result, she's a huge Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Kiss and Beatles fan, and I'm proud to say that her "80's playlist" would fit right in with most of the people here, judging by the various threads I read/participate in.   

In that process, I've committed to listening to Ed Sheeran (didn't do anything for me), Taylor Swift (she's like U2; what I like I REALLY like, but there's a lot I could skip), One Direction (more on this in a minute) and Harry Styles (who I like, and have seen live once and will go again).

And here's the point:  I can play you five songs from 1D and you'd all be (rightly) like "wow, does that suck hard".   Banal wouldn't be the word.   Here's the deal, though:  they have five albums, and they are not puppets or Milli Vanilli.  They all wanted to be musicians as well as popstars, and while you can say they "sold out", every album has a couple songs buried deep that aren't sugary pap.   "Once In A Lifetime" makes me cry almost every time I hear it.  Beautiful song.   I'm not saying everyone has to love every band - I don't - but I think reserving judgment on one song, or even just the radio hits might sometimes not give the full picture.   There are well-respected rock and pop and prog acts that have sold out just as badly as some of these pop stars, they just didn't get the pot of gold at the end of the tunnel.

That's the beauty of buying the full albums and not just the singles, or listening to the singles only and not the album only songs.

I do this with a lot of bands. I actually will listen to an entire album first, if I can find it on streaming, if not I'll just buy the album. And sometimes, I like only one songs, but it's one that is so good I come back to it a lot.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2021, 07:56:48 AM »
I'm not suggesting that anyone should spend even a minute with music they don't like - there's too much good stuff out there - but my daughter and I have a rule:  if one of us asks the other to listen to a song, we commit to it. 
That's me and my kid, as well.

I have been exposed to AWOLNation this way.  Not my favorite, but not bad at all.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2021, 11:30:50 AM »
My Dad dislikes pop - but his new wife and their 3 boys all love it - so anytime they're all in the car it's pop.

oh well  ;D

Oh - and Dad HATES guitar distortion - unless it's like Dire Straits or some jazz fusion etc. Nothing overly heavy. But he says he'd much rather listen to Metal than Pop.  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2021, 02:15:14 PM »
'Pop' is probably the most useless genre denominator ever, since it's literally an abbreviation for 'popular'. Anything can be 'pop' and history has proven that really.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2021, 03:07:41 PM »
Yeah, and pop is so broad, that to dismiss it on principle is just silly. Sure, there's a lot of 'stupid' or 'banal' music out there, but that isn't limited to pop.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2021, 08:05:51 AM »
So Marilyn Manson has been accused of physical and mental abuse by several people dating back years.

I AM SHOCKED I TELL YOU SHOCKED

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2021, 03:16:41 AM »
He's definitely going to put one of those " please don't cancel me " half-arsed " Meh it happened - sowwwwwy you guys. I'm getting help please don't cancel me buy my new album sowwwy "

type statements.

Funny how people like that never "seek help" until they're found out...

Like Kevin Spacey with his " Meh - I may have molested a teenager - i was probably drunk anyway - sowwwwwyyyyy im gay btw "

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2021, 04:07:56 AM »
 :tdwn New Smashing Pumpkins CYR is their worst album by miles.

Soooo dull. Boring. Every song sounds the same. WAY too long.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2021, 10:42:52 AM »
So I'm taking a relistening to The Greatest Showman soundtrack.  I didn't watch the movie that the soundtrack is in, but as far as pop albums go nowadays, this is a good one.  All the vocalists involved did a good job in their roles, especially Hugh Jackman in The Greatest Show and From Now On.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2021, 11:09:08 AM »
The Offspring released a new song. It's terrible. Their new album will have a re-recorded version of Gone Away. Their last album had Dirty Magic. It was ok for a remake I guess. What happened to this band? It's bad when Splinter is better than anything they've done in almost 20 years. Splinter actually isn't really that bad. Why did I get rid of it? I think I'm gonna listen to it. My biggest complaint was that it was short even by their standards.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2021, 11:25:28 AM »
^ Agree 100%. Dexters voice is buried and smothered in FX. The whole track sounds like a demo for some reason.

It sounds like a monitor mix. There's no OOMPH to it. You're just waiting for the song to start the whole time.

The new Green Day song may sound like Green Day by numbers ( it was just written for a hockey game ) - but it's catchy as hell and

sounds PRODUCED.

Green Day : Here Comes The Shock

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2021, 08:41:17 PM »
So I'm taking a relistening to The Greatest Showman soundtrack.  I didn't watch the movie that the soundtrack is in, but as far as pop albums go nowadays, this is a good one.  All the vocalists involved did a good job in their roles, especially Hugh Jackman in The Greatest Show and From Now On.

My daughter loved this movie so we bought her the soundtrack. It is enjoyable; one of the few CDs of hers I won't tune out when she plays it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2021, 04:04:55 AM »
The Offspring released a new song. It's terrible. Their new album will have a re-recorded version of Gone Away. Their last album had Dirty Magic. It was ok for a remake I guess. What happened to this band? It's bad when Splinter is better than anything they've done in almost 20 years. Splinter actually isn't really that bad. Why did I get rid of it? I think I'm gonna listen to it. My biggest complaint was that it was short even by their standards.

I was always quite surprised at the hate Splinter got.  I think it was a great album.

I don't want to listen to their new song though lol.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2021, 08:35:10 AM »
Don't bother it's dire.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2021, 01:24:58 PM »
I'll try and resist.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2021, 12:19:06 AM »
I just came in to post that these 4 songs are four of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard...

Pain of Salvation - Vocari Dei
Dirty Heads - End of The World
Arch Echo - Measure of A Life
Haken - Bound By Gravity

These songs just invoke in me an uplifting, joyous, exuberant vibe and mood. Whenever I feel down, I put on these songs, they let me know that things are ok and there is more to living.

Just thought I'd share that with you guys.

I actually made a playlist with these songs in this order and they blend together so, so good.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2021, 07:13:24 AM »
I'm not that big on Bound by Gravity, it's fine but I don't love it like others do. I get the feeling you are describing, when I listej to Earthrise though. It's beautiful.

Random thoughts for today:

"Eroded by Lizzard is rapidly moving up my album of the year list. It's absolutely killer".

"Cyberfunk! by Mother's Cake may be the best mix of prog and funk that I've ever heard".

"I really like the song Bat Out of Hell. I may pick up some Meatloaf vinyl".

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2021, 07:18:36 AM »
There are definitely talentless hacks making pop music, but Ed Sheeran isn't one of them.

My wife is a huge fan and for her birthday I took her to see him a while back. I was blown away by how good a performer and guitar player he is. Truly a great artist.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2021, 08:02:02 AM »

My wife is a huge fan and for her birthday I took her to see him a while back. I was blown away by how good a performer and guitar player he is. Truly a great artist.
Nice.  :tup

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2021, 11:02:57 PM »
Pyramaze - The Time Traveller

Now this is how you make a lyric video.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #96 on: April 01, 2021, 06:39:53 PM »
So Metal Archives changed all the Artist pictures to cat pictures for April Fools. I thought it was amusing.  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2021, 10:17:35 PM »
So Metal Archives changed all the Artist pictures to cat pictures for April Fools. I thought it was amusing.  :lol

Look at the Iced Earth thread :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2021, 07:28:49 PM »
I must say that I don't have the slightest bit of interest in the new LTE. I just cannot get excited about it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online HOF

« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2021, 11:02:39 PM »
I think this is a fantastic pop song from the 90s and Kelly Clarkson may have ripped it off a little with Since You’ve Been Gone.

Dionne Farris - I Know

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fqng9NDqKB8

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2021, 02:41:28 AM »
I must say that I don't have the slightest bit of interest in the new LTE. I just cannot get excited about it.

I'd say I'm the opposite. I'm not a particularly huge fan of the first two, but after hearing two of the singles, I'm actually looking forward to it!

Thoughts for today:

"I've just fallen in love with Untouchable Parts 1&2, by Anathema"  :heart

"I need to do a run through all of Alkaline Trio's albums, they really are such an underrated punk band".

"I really need to pick up Terraformer, by Thank You Scientist, and the Cowboy Bebop Soundtrack on vinyl".

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2021, 02:47:08 AM »

I'm the same, but with older LTE as well. I just can't get into instrumental music, I lose interest quickly. I need vocals.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline DTA

« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2021, 06:02:57 AM »

Same. I get Raw Dog vibes from the songs I've heard, and it's just not anything I can get excited about anymore. I'm actually way more curious as to what the jam tracks sound like and will probably be more interested in those

Offline romdrums

« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2021, 06:33:56 AM »

I'm the same, but with older LTE as well. I just can't get into instrumental music, I lose interest quickly. I need vocals.

I'm not that excited about the new LTE either, but I've found that I'm really getting into more and more instrumental music.  I actually find it to be more interesting without the vocals.  Tastes, right?  :smiley:
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2021, 07:24:08 AM »
Understandable.  After all, it was produced after 1988.

:biggrin: