Author Topic: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !  (Read 38617 times)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Re: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !
« Reply #210 on: June 27, 2021, 01:19:40 AM »
Oasis have always felt retro to me and 'Wonderwall' is the staple go to song at karaoke of the utter wanker

:rollin

The lyrics and delivery in the chorus are proper face-in-hands, grimacing misery for me. Can't stand it.

But they had a few tracks showed a cool core thing. On the swaggering, heavy front (rock and roll star, cigarettes & alcohol, roll with it, morning glory, some might say) they had some greatness.  The guitars sounded large and fantastic, the vocals were really sneery.

Most all their other stuff irritates me. The Beatles-esque, crappy nursery rhyme lyrics and reaches for sentimentality grate hard.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: June 27, 2021, 04:23:44 AM »
Love Oasis personally.  We're great live and Be Here Now is an underrated gem.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: June 27, 2021, 05:31:00 AM »
As much as I’ve tried I can’t get into Devin Townsend.  He’s so hyped around here, and I don’t get it.

Same here.

I like the odd song here and there but it all sounds so similar that I can't enjoy it. I like the first Ziltoid album and some of Addicted! But he needs to stop having 100 tracks on every song.

It all sounds so samey - plus he and Trent Reznor do the Major third melody over a minor progression thing way too much. It's in almost every song.

Love Oasis personally.  We're great live and Be Here Now is an underrated gem.

I saw them twice and they could deffo play. Alan was their best drummer by a mile. I just hated Liam and his voice.

Compared to bands like Black Keys and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club etc - Oasis sounded very original and not just 12 bar boogies with distortion pedals.

Kasabian can f--- off though.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #213 on: June 27, 2021, 11:49:20 AM »
Oasis have always felt retro to me and 'Wonderwall' is the staple go to song at karaoke of the utter wanker

The lyrics and delivery in the chorus are proper face-in-hands, grimacing misery for me. Can't stand it.

But they had a few tracks showed a cool core thing. On the swaggering, heavy front (rock and roll star, cigarettes & alcohol, roll with it, morning glory, some might say) they had some greatness.  The guitars sounded large and fantastic, the vocals were really sneery.

Most all their other stuff irritates me. The Beatles-esque, crappy nursery rhyme lyrics and reaches for sentimentality grate hard.

Haha, that's kind of exactly why I like them!!!

Plus, anyone who's on the fence about them, find some of the live tracks from the Definitely Maybe DVD; they're not Dream Theater, but it's a high energy delivery for real.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: June 27, 2021, 11:59:55 AM »
As much as I’ve tried I can’t get into Devin Townsend.  He’s so hyped around here, and I don’t get it.

Same here.

I like the odd song here and there but it all sounds so similar that I can't enjoy it. I like the first Ziltoid album and some of Addicted! But he needs to stop having 100 tracks on every song.

It all sounds so samey - plus he and Trent Reznor do the Major third melody over a minor progression thing way too much. It's in almost every song.

Undoubtedly Devin is an acquired taste, and he's not for everyone. I know for me, I HATED him - well, his music - for a long time.  I do not like the screaming vocals, generally.    But as I sort of got into him - I read his autobiography, I've listened to a lot of video/interviews by him - and I realized that FOR ME, it was more than just "stringing notes together".  I like the ethos.  I like the process.   I like all that sort of goes around Devin, and that makes the music more attractive to me.  I don't suppose that's the same for everyone, but for me, I only started to like Devin's music once I started to understand and like the man. 

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #215 on: June 27, 2021, 01:47:45 PM »

Haha, that's kind of exactly why I like them!!!

;D Cool, man.

Devin is so great. The variation of styles is really something. From industrial death metal, to emotive prog, to ambience, to country, pop-rock, stripped down metal with almost no distortion, world music, orchestral touches, choirs, show tunes, classic metal, polka. His creativity is so much wider than almost any bands I can think of. Brilliant.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: June 27, 2021, 08:35:08 PM »
Oasis have always felt retro to me and 'Wonderwall' is the staple go to song at karaoke of the utter wanker, along with 'Gold' by Spandau Ballet.

You and I are hanging out at different joints. I had to YouTube both those songs. The Oasis one sounded vaguely familiar, but I do not know if it is because of that song specifically, or if that song just sounds like everything else of theirs that I might have heard.

I haven't heard much Devin. I didn't like what I little I did hear so didn't bother, but then someone Roulette'd me a song of his liked.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: June 28, 2021, 07:23:22 AM »
Oasis have always felt retro to me and 'Wonderwall' is the staple go to song at karaoke of the utter wanker, along with 'Gold' by Spandau Ballet.

You and I are hanging out at different joints. I had to YouTube both those songs. The Oasis one sounded vaguely familiar, but I do not know if it is because of that song specifically, or if that song just sounds like everything else of theirs that I might have heard.

I haven't heard much Devin. I didn't like what I little I did hear so didn't bother, but then someone Roulette'd me a song of his liked.

I am not here to pimp Devin's music; you either like him or you don't and my life goes on unaffected.

But I will say this:  much like "whether you like Neil Young or not depends on what album you hear", so Devin.   Even within the first four DTP records, they are VERY VERY different.   Even though I'm a fan and I like him, I don't have (and probably won't get) any of the Strapping Young Lad stuff. It's just not where my headspace is (or his either, if you listen to his interviews).   

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #218 on: June 28, 2021, 09:04:41 AM »

I am not here to pimp Devin's music; you either like him or you don't and my life goes on unaffected.

But I will say this:  much like "whether you like Neil Young or not depends on what album you hear", so Devin.   Even within the first four DTP records, they are VERY VERY different.   Even though I'm a fan and I like him, I don't have (and probably won't get) any of the Strapping Young Lad stuff. It's just not where my headspace is (or his either, if you listen to his interviews).

If you want into his headspace Empath is that album.

I guess I'm the lone wolf in appreciating the disjointed sound of Empath. The lyrics are a key aspect of the album. I really wish that Animal Painting within the album art was the actual album art, as that perfectly represents what the album sounds like to me.

Being washed up ashore on an island, as you witness the creation of animals and people.

The music perfectly describes life and it's chaotic, disjointed, structure. Try the Papaya..
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #219 on: June 29, 2021, 12:11:32 AM »
You're not alone.  :) I'd kind of had Dev overload by the time Empath came out so didn't touch it until a few months after it's release. But when I did I immediately loved it and it remains my go-to Dev spread.

Never once felt like it's disjointed, even though the styles are so wide. Flows brilliantly to my ears.

Mind you, I was already a huge fan of almost everything he'd done at that point so wasn't shocked. (I'm still delighted with the transition from Hear Me to Why) I would think Empath is a bit broad for a gateway record.  ;)

Dev's another one of those fundamental artists like Dream Theater for me, that pushed me as a listener and opened my horizons. It took a little time to get into his style, vibe and complexity. He is not your standard listen.

(Clearly I AM here to pimp Dev.)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #220 on: June 29, 2021, 07:25:32 AM »
Am I the only one who ever wonders if the majority of people here really only listen to prog/metal/related genres?  I know there are people here who listen to other stuff too, but sometimes it seems like that is a very small number of people.

Prog is probably my favorite genre, but I would lose my mind if that was all I ever listened to.

And this is not an indictment - people should listen to what they like. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: June 29, 2021, 07:55:28 AM »
Am I the only one who ever wonders if the majority of people here really only listen to prog/metal/related genres?  I know there are people here who listen to other stuff too, but sometimes it seems like that is a very small number of people.

Prog is probably my favorite genre, but I would lose my mind if that was all I ever listened to.

I'm with you on all that:  the wonder, and the lack of judgement for that.  I think as a generality there is a preference for MOST - not all - people to a) find what they like and stick to it, and b) think that what they like is somehow equatable to what is "good". 

It happens in too many ways across too many genres and too many demographics to be an anomaly.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: June 29, 2021, 08:57:41 AM »
Dream Theater are my favourite of their type of music. I don't really like any other modern Prog Metal band unless you count TOOL - but they're almost their own genre. They're TOOL.

Don't like Haken or Styx etc etc.

I say it a lot but I like BANDS not genres. I love Metallica. Hate Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth etc etc. Love Green Day. Hate Blink 182. Bowling For Soup. Sum 41. Etc etc.

For me it's the songs and the singing. Not - oh this band reminds me of a band I like - i shall also buy all their albums too.

I used to know a guy who only bought metal CDs and didn't rank them on how good the songs / albums were - but how HEAVY they were... :lolpalm:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #223 on: June 29, 2021, 09:29:11 AM »
I heard double CDs were heavier than single CDs.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #224 on: June 29, 2021, 09:36:05 AM »
I used to be shallow with my music. But I am not that immature high school kid anymore.

I just listen to whatever I find myself enjoying now. Regardless of genre, singer, if it sounds like anything else. I view music now with no expectations. And I am finding it to be well worth not having any expectation for music, as I am enjoying a lot of music that most people are finding not to their liking, and usually people respond with "I did not expect" and their expectations were not met so they became disappointed and it affected how they enjoyed the song/album/band. I would usually listen to songs from throughout their catalog if I can, or from their most recent album, their debut, and their most famous album.

This stems from my perception of how music is vibration and sound and how it's everywhere, and if you put a melody, beat, or harmony to those sounds you can create music, which is the basis for Stomp. Also, I was playing with Ableton and messing with pitch correction and made it all high and the human women voice sounded like a bird, and then I thought, huh...I wonder if you were to pitch correct a birds noise, if it would be saying something in some language.

So my music listening is based entirely on my perception of music and how I view what Music is and how it is heard and used throughout the world. And I am noticing that people have many different perceptions and views on how they perceive music.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: June 29, 2021, 10:43:54 AM »
I try not to be a snob. Obviously I cannot stand completely lazy throwaway committee "pop" that has no redeeming qualities at all like Drake 50 Cent Ed Sheeran Billie Eilish etc.

Pop songs that have no value at all. They're not even catchy. They're not even vanilla. They're melted vanilla ice cream served on a plate with a fork. It's just BLAH.

The kind of pop I like are songs like " Love Love " by Take That. " Sweet Dream my LA ex " by Rachel Stevens.

" Souper Trooper " by ABBA. A lot of Erasure for example.

Songs that have an actual TUNE and SINGING. Not just mumbling 3 notes over the most BASIC backing track.

My Spotify Playlist for pop Songs I actually Really Enjoy

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #226 on: June 29, 2021, 11:14:59 AM »
I try not to be a snob. Obviously I cannot stand completely lazy throwaway committee "pop" that has no redeeming qualities at all like Drake 50 Cent Ed Sheeran Billie Eilish etc.

I haven't heard enough Drake, 50 Cent, or Ed Sheeran to comment, but Billie Eilish is VERY far from what you're describing. Her main album was her and her brother alone in their parents house. It's amazingly creative and well written.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #227 on: June 29, 2021, 11:32:09 AM »
I try not to be a snob. Obviously I cannot stand completely lazy throwaway committee "pop" that has no redeeming qualities at all like ...

Umm... I don't know if you intended it or not but that's quite funny.  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #228 on: June 29, 2021, 11:53:20 AM »

I haven't heard enough Drake, 50 Cent, or Ed Sheeran to comment, but Billie Eilish is VERY far from what you're describing. Her main album was her and her brother alone in their parents house. It's amazingly creative and well written.
Agreed.  She is pretty awesome.

Frankly, Sheeran is pretty good too.

I'm not impressed by Drake, and 50 cent isn't my cup of tea, but that doesn't mean that I think there is anything wrong with their music. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #229 on: June 29, 2021, 12:15:04 PM »

Pop songs that have no value at all. They're not even catchy. They're not even vanilla. They're melted vanilla ice cream served on a plate with a fork. It's just BLAH.

The kind of pop I like are songs like " Love Love " by Take That. " Sweet Dream my LA ex " by Rachel Stevens.

" Souper Trooper " by ABBA. A lot of Erasure for example.

Songs that have an actual TUNE and SINGING. Not just mumbling 3 notes over the most BASIC backing track.

My Spotify Playlist for pop Songs I actually Really Enjoy

FWIW—one man's 'pop songs that have no value' are another man's 'soundtrack to my life'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: June 29, 2021, 12:34:53 PM »

Pro tip:  You're a snob.   There's no universe where Billie Eyelash or Ed Sheeran are "lazy, throwaway committee "pop"".  They're not my favorite, but your dismissal is not accurate factually.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: June 29, 2021, 01:49:47 PM »
Ed Sheeran is the epitome of committee pop music.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: June 29, 2021, 02:50:14 PM »
Ed Sheeran is the epitome of committee pop music.

We must define that very differently.  Half the songs on his first two records are written by him alone, and the bulk of the remainder by one other - constant - person.  He likes to collaborate, but that's no harm no foul and doesn't mean "committee pop music", just that he's open to new ideas.   Compare that to some artists, like Katy Perry or Beyonce who will have seven, eight, even nine writers on a track (the most I ever counted was 13, but I can't remember who that was). 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: June 29, 2021, 04:10:22 PM »
Pretty sure that whenever i've looked up an Ed Sheeran song on the Wiki it's had SEVERAL writers attached to it.

This is most likely his more recent stuff which is more in the mumbling 3 notes over a backing track variety.

Plus his constant accusations of plagiarism don't help either.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: June 29, 2021, 04:12:27 PM »
Pro tip:  You're a snob. 

I meant in as much as I'm not one of those  :angry: I only listen to METAL or HARD ROCK people. I don't choose to listen to pop or rap or r'n'b. But If I enjoy a pop or rap or r'n'b track i'll gladly admit it.

As I said before I listen to a lot of genres and I don't go " I like METALLICA and MASTODON therefore I hate pop and U2 and EDM " etc etc.

If I like a song I like it regardless of genre. Hell I even love some McFly songs. And they're as pop as you can get.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #235 on: June 29, 2021, 04:18:29 PM »
I didn't choose Metal or Hard Rock. It chose me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: June 29, 2021, 04:21:20 PM »
Well obviously. Anyone with an IQ in double figures chooses rock over pop.

people with single figure IQs choose " duh musix wot has the woooah woooah woooah "

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: June 29, 2021, 05:12:14 PM »
You know i'm right.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #239 on: June 29, 2021, 05:30:55 PM »
Nowadays, I've been on a JPop kick than rock/metal and enjoying it.  Does that make me one of those single digit IQ people?  At least, those people can find enjoyment in simple pop like Ed Sheeran and the likes.  I'm not going to be the one that will crush their enjoyment.  Enjoying something is tough to do nowadays.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #240 on: June 29, 2021, 05:39:50 PM »
What you consider "committee pop music" is what I call "Label Generated Music".

"Label Generated Music" is the type of music artist, or band, that is formed by the label. Some artists start independent and release their own albums, but then when they get into a major label, they become the label generated artist, where they make the music the label says is hip and will sell, and will provide all the big production, all they have to do is show up and perform. Some labels are more lenient with what they require artists/musicians to do, like our infamous Frontiers Label thread will show.  There's actually quite a lot of these types of artists/bands.

Then you got those bands that started from "Trends". Most Djent bands would be a great example of a "Trend Band". And some of these label generated artists are formed because of a certain "Trend" that is a hit with the youth, like the mumble rap of Drake.

JPop, KPop, is another big trend here that grew big recently. Babymetal in the Metal world, and BTS in the Pop world. These bands/groups are label based as well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #241 on: June 29, 2021, 06:56:17 PM »
I randomly looked up a Metallica song on wikipedia.

It was The Four Horseman.

ZOMG, IT HAS THREE WRITERS!!!

I guess that makes it committee metal, right?  :lol :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #242 on: June 30, 2021, 12:23:29 AM »

I listen to a lot of Prog, a lot of classic rock/hard rock, alternative rock, and pop music, a smattering of jazz/classical/other random stuff, and very little metal beyond Dream Theater.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: June 30, 2021, 03:20:28 AM »
I randomly looked up a Metallica song on wikipedia.

It was The Four Horseman.

ZOMG, IT HAS THREE WRITERS!!!

I guess that makes it committee metal, right?  :lol :lol

Those are the 3 guys in the band. Not the label. Or the songwriting team.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: June 30, 2021, 04:45:29 AM »
I'm not an Ed Sheeran fan whatsoever but I'm confused.  What is the big issue if he collaborates with other songwriters?  Having a quick look on wiki his name is credited on every one of his own songs so I don't understand why it's so offensive.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.