Author Topic: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !  (Read 36118 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !
« Reply #175 on: June 24, 2021, 09:23:51 AM »
I never really thought that Alice in Chains was actually grunge.  They were from the Seattle area at that same time, but I didn't think that they sounded enough like those other bands to be the same distinction.

But I'm not going to argue with anyone who disagrees.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #176 on: June 24, 2021, 10:25:58 AM »
To me, my impression of Soundgarden was always a mixture of Led Zeppelin meets Black Sabbath and that they are different than Alice in Chains and everyone in that group along with Pearl Jam and Nirvana don't really have much in common other than they were from Seattle and they did have similar circles of musician friends, but soundwise?  They don't have much in common with each other.

I think my main issues with the tags of them and Alice in Chains being labeled Grunge is that I think that certain music circles thinks that Grunge musicians are not "proficient" musicians which far from the truth.  Do you want to say that guys like Kim Thyail, Jerry Cantrell, and Chris Cornell are not great top-notch musicians that knows how to structure compelling songs?

Can't say I've heard that said about grunge musicians truthfully.

Yeah me neither.  Aside from a lot of dismissing of Cobains Guitar ability, the other three bands (and Grohl is a great drummer) are stocked with great players.

That's exactly what I thought the comment may be aimed at.  But apart from that, yeah great musicians.

Yeah, that and I think what the Grunge-era bands was doing in comparison to everything else at the time was cutting out excessive fluff (i.e. long pointless guitar solos.  Not cut solos entirely, but the solos are more straight to the point that suits the songs) and be more straight to the point about lyrical matters and I had this impression certain people think those guys didn't know how to "play."  Basically, removing any overindulgence that glam/hair metal bands were known for.  I don't even know if my comments make sense, but that was my impression on what naysayers think about the Grunge era.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #177 on: June 24, 2021, 03:17:15 PM »
So I was never a Nirvana person, obviously. I loved the Unplugged In New York album for some reason. I thought it was fantastic. I should also say that this was in a ...transitional period in my life. ;D

Anyway, the husband of a girl I worked with at the time was looking for a drummer to play in his Nirvana tribute band. She asked if I was interested in jamming and I said sure. So she gave me a tape of a 12-15 Nirvana tunes.

So I get there..they had drums already set up. The girl's husband..holy shit, left handed guitarist, dark yellowish sweater, he looked just like Cobain. And the bass player, a tall thin dude.
Anyway, I learned the songs and played. Had a great session, got baked, and was a great afternoon. I didn't get the gig, not that I cared honestly. I think they would've made me wear a wig anyway.

But my point was that while Grohl is a really good drummer, the drum parts weren't difficult at all. But they were fun as hell. I enjoyed playing those songs, and found a new appreciation for them. Simple, sure, but totally fun.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #178 on: June 24, 2021, 03:28:13 PM »
So I was never a Nirvana person, obviously. I loved the Unplugged In New York album for some reason. I thought it was fantastic. I should also say that this was in a ...transitional period in my life. ;D

Anyway, the husband of a girl I worked with at the time was looking for a drummer to play in his Nirvana tribute band. She asked if I was interested in jamming and I said sure. So she gave me a tape of a 12-15 Nirvana tunes.

So I get there..they had drums already set up. The girl's husband..holy shit, left handed guitarist, dark yellowish sweater, he looked just like Cobain. And the bass player, a tall thin dude.
Anyway, I learned the songs and played. Had a great session, got baked, and was a great afternoon. I didn't get the gig, not that I cared honestly. I think they would've made me wear a wig anyway.

But my point was that while Grohl is a really good drummer, the drum parts weren't difficult at all. But they were fun as hell. I enjoyed playing those songs, and found a new appreciation for them. Simple, sure, but totally fun.

I SHOULD like Dave Grohl more than I do, but there's something about him that I don't like.   He's almost a bit too earnest.   It almost seems a little fake, really.   I think his shtick is just high energy rather than any intricate drumming chops.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #179 on: June 24, 2021, 04:01:29 PM »
Well, as a drummer, I don't really pay attention. As the frontman of the Foo Fighters, I think he's great. Although I don't really care for their music, I could watch live clips from them or interviews with Dave on youtube all night.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #180 on: June 24, 2021, 04:04:32 PM »
I love Dave. He's ernest. I music geek and one hell of a frontman. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #181 on: June 24, 2021, 05:42:22 PM »
Dismissing Cobain's guitar ability is fine because he was not a notable guitarist, but a great songwriter who is an average player is, to me, almost always more valuable than a great player who is an average songwriter.

Note: I am not saying Cobain WAS a great songwriter, but I know a lot of people will say he was.  The point being that songwriting is almost always what makes legends, not one's ability to play an instrument well.  There are exceptions of course. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: June 25, 2021, 12:26:45 AM »
I've been into FF since Day 1 pretty much and was in school in the mid 90s and told my friend to remember the name Foo Fighters as they were gonna be big.

But it annoys me just how much of their stuff is GREAT and how much is middle of the road adult rock or how every album comes with a gimmick.

They SHOULD be better than they are. They're a ROCK band who usually forget they're a rock band. And the most recent album where they remembered

( Concrete and Gold ) is by far their worst release. Medicine At Midnight is a decent album but it's not Wasting Light or The Colour And The Shape.

Also - I can't bear bands who seem to think every ballad should be barely strummed acoustics, drums tapped with brushes and whispered vocals.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: June 25, 2021, 12:32:29 AM »

Me too; one of my top two or three most overrated bands in rock. 

Who are your other 2?

Seems a good a place as any to do this...

Most overrated rock band :-

Oasis for me - god awful unoriginal dad/pub rock dirge, lead by the brothers grimm.

Dammit, I love Oasis! 

I have to think about this a bit... contenders are Red Hot Chili Peppers (but I resist that because Flea and Chad as such good musicians), Ratt, Motley Crue, Radiohead, Green Day, The Ramones.

LOL Sorry!

If it's any consolation I like Nirvana, Chili's, Radiohead and Green Day - But Motley Crue can f**k right off! :)

Over rated to me usually means they don't have ANY good songs. Oasis clearly had some classic tunes. Yes Wonderwall is overplayed but hearing it in 1995 - it didn't sound like anyone else

and it WAS original back then.

I'd call bands like White Stripes, Flaming Lips, Rolling Stones over rated as I hate everything they've done.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #184 on: June 25, 2021, 04:54:53 AM »
I don't like The Stones either but I'm guessing their sound was WAY more of a stylistic breath of fresh air in the 60s than Oasis's was in the 90s.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: June 25, 2021, 07:13:04 AM »

Over rated to me usually means they don't have ANY good songs.

AND

I'd call bands like ... Rolling Stones over rated as I hate everything they've done.

But that's contradictory; despite what YOU like or not (for example, I LIKE Green Day, I still think they are overrated; they don't belong anywhere NEAR the RnRHoF) to say the Stones don't have "ANY good songs" is ridiculous.   Satisfaction, Honky Tonk Women, Gimme Shelter, Some Girls, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Brown Sugar, It's Only Rock And Roll, Angie, Sympathy For The Devil....  c'mon.   

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: June 25, 2021, 07:33:33 AM »
For me - all those songs are lumpen and as caveman as they come.

it's like bands like Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and Black Keys today STILL doing 12 bar blues / Minor pentatonic songs.

I genuinely have only ever liked one Rolling Stones song in my life and it was from a couple of years ago called Doom and Gloom.

But only then cause it sounded like The Hives :lol

Plus all the live footage i've ever seen of them - they're as sloppy as you can get. Your average weekend warrior band are probably tighter.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: June 25, 2021, 08:06:06 AM »
For me - all those songs are lumpen and as caveman as they come.

it's like bands like Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and Black Keys today STILL doing 12 bar blues / Minor pentatonic songs.

I genuinely have only ever liked one Rolling Stones song in my life and it was from a couple of years ago called Doom and Gloom.

But only then cause it sounded like The Hives :lol

Plus all the live footage i've ever seen of them - they're as sloppy as you can get. Your average weekend warrior band are probably tighter.

But surely you cannot deny that those are legendary songs.  Iconic, even (even though that word is way overused lately).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: June 25, 2021, 08:15:43 AM »
Listening to Diamond Days from the Outfield.  A lot album for me.  I haven't listened to is in a long time.  Quite refreshing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: June 25, 2021, 09:20:55 AM »
Listening to Diamond Days from the Outfield.  A lot album for me.  I haven't listened to is in a long time.  Quite refreshing.

I love The Outfield, but I'm not sure I'm familiar with that one.   I checked Wikipedia to see what was on it and didn't realize that not only has John Spinks died but so has Tony Lewis.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #190 on: June 25, 2021, 09:22:58 AM »
Pretty sure the drummer from The Outfield played on Alice Cooper’s Last Temptation album.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: June 25, 2021, 10:31:21 AM »

I love The Outfield, but I'm not sure I'm familiar with that one.   I checked Wikipedia to see what was on it and didn't realize that not only has John Spinks died but so has Tony Lewis.

Tony was just recently.  Sad.  They were supposed to do a reunion album by John relapsed with his cancer and passed away.  This was their 4th album.  1st without the original drummer.  The big signal was "For You."

Tim, was it the original drummer?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: June 25, 2021, 10:34:10 AM »
Pretty sure the drummer from The Outfield played on Alice Cooper’s Last Temptation album.

Nope.  It was the drummer from The Hooters.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: June 26, 2021, 05:14:44 AM »
Don't like Jaggers voice. Don't like Keith's guitar playing. The songs have drums on I guess.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #194 on: June 26, 2021, 06:35:50 AM »
As much as I’ve tried I can’t get into Devin Townsend.  He’s so hyped around here, and I don’t get it.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #195 on: June 26, 2021, 06:38:13 AM »
As much as I’ve tried I can’t get into Devin Townsend.  He’s so hyped around here, and I don’t get it.

Same here.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #196 on: June 26, 2021, 06:53:01 AM »
What made me a fan of Devin wasn't his screaming and spearing vocals. It's his songwriting. And I never really got into it until The Devin Townsend Project came to be and he released Addicted. I even got the shirt package.

Oddly enough, it's Annekes version of Hyperdrive which really pulled me in, and that got me into Ziltoid, I still prefer Hyperdrive! from Addicted more so than Ziltoid. Color My World and The Grey's became my favorites due to the concept of the songs.

I prefer his calmer stuff more. I do not really enjoy Strapping Young Lad as much either.

I actually like the bonus cd with his Project EKO that is packaged with Accelerated Evolution.

And Empath is his best album he has released so far.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #197 on: June 26, 2021, 07:17:15 AM »
Empath is good, but I would say it is one of his least best records.  It's a bit too scattershot, and there are no god tier songs on it.

Devin is very much an outlier for me, as I don't think I am fan of anyone else who does screaming vocals (which Devin does sometimes), yet Devin is not only one of my favorite artists, but my favorite song of his is one where pretty much all of his vocals in it are screamed (Addicted).

Offline Trav86

« Reply #198 on: June 26, 2021, 07:18:25 AM »
What made me a fan of Devin wasn't his screaming and spearing vocals. It's his songwriting. And I never really got into it until The Devin Townsend Project came to be and he released Addicted. I even got the shirt package.

Oddly enough, it's Annekes version of Hyperdrive which really pulled me in, and that got me into Ziltoid, I still prefer Hyperdrive! from Addicted more so than Ziltoid. Color My World and The Grey's became my favorites due to the concept of the songs.

I prefer his calmer stuff more. I do not really enjoy Strapping Young Lad as much either.

I actually like the bonus cd with his Project EKO that is packaged with Accelerated Evolution.

And Empath is his best album he has released so far.

I’ve heard Hyperdrive on Addicted. I actually like that. I didn’t know there was a different version.

As far as Empath, I don’t think I got past the first couple songs. It’s like, the songs are too scatterbrained. For lack of a better term.

I want to keep trying because there are members here (for instance Kevshmev) who I seem to agree with a lot on our musical tastes. But then they praise Devin and I’m like, “what am I missing??” 
Can't we find the minds

Offline Trav86

« Reply #199 on: June 26, 2021, 07:19:38 AM »
Empath is good, but I would say it is one of his least best records.  It's a bit too scattershot, and there are no god tier songs on it.

Devin is very much an outlier for me, as I don't think I am fan of anyone else who does screaming vocals (which Devin does sometimes), yet Devin is not only one of my favorite artists, but my favorite song of his is one where pretty much all of his vocals in it are screamed (Addicted).

I mentioned you in my comment before ever seeing that you chimed in. So there ya go!
Can't we find the minds

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #200 on: June 26, 2021, 07:31:31 AM »
 :tup :tup

I want to keep trying because there are members here (for instance Kevshmev) who I seem to agree with a lot on our musical tastes. But then they praise Devin and I’m like, “what am I missing??”

He is definitely not for everyone, so I get it when some do not take to his music.  Not sure how much of his material you have heard, but I would never recommend that anyone try to get into him by listening to something as scattershot as Empath.  Infinity and Terria were integral in making me a fan early on, and I think albums like Addicted, Accelerated Evolution and Epicloud are great and accessible enough to grab someone right away.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #201 on: June 26, 2021, 07:36:42 AM »

Why?,  is "god-tier" to me.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #202 on: June 26, 2021, 08:29:20 AM »
I actually find the bonus disc (Tests of Manhood) to be better than the proper album. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: June 26, 2021, 03:00:04 PM »

You and me both  I intensely dislike screamed vocals, but since SYL, he's found a way to make them fit.  I know you mentioned the song, but the album Addicted! is an AMAZING record, and right now my favorite of his.  I love how his vocals sort of contrast with Anneke's on songs like Bend it Like Bender! and Numbered!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #204 on: June 26, 2021, 03:29:00 PM »

You and me both  I intensely dislike screamed vocals, but since SYL, he's found a way to make them fit.  I know you mentioned the song, but the album Addicted! is an AMAZING record, and right now my favorite of his.  I love how his vocals sort of contrast with Anneke's on songs like Bend it Like Bender! and Numbered!

Yep, amazing album. I still think Terria is his best and most accomplished work to date, but Addicted is my favorite, if you catch my drift. ;)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #205 on: June 26, 2021, 03:53:36 PM »

Fine. I will give Terria a re-listen this week. It had good moments but I just could NOT get into much of it. The production alone is horrible to my ears. But I’ll give it another try this week and see.

Yep, amazing album. I still think Terria is his best and most accomplished work to date, but Addicted is my favorite, if you catch my drift. ;)

Fine. I will give Terria a re-listen this week. It had good moments but I just could NOT get into much of it. The production alone is horrible to my ears. But I’ll give it another try this week and see.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 04:53:37 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #206 on: June 26, 2021, 04:36:45 PM »

Why?,  is "god-tier" to me.

Yes.

Empath is still my go-to Dev album but would probably go Epicloud as a gateway recommend. I started on AE then Terria.

He is a top banana.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: June 26, 2021, 05:10:54 PM »

100%.

Check out, if you haven't already, the "By A Thread" performance of "Addicted!".  A joy.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #208 on: June 26, 2021, 08:36:52 PM »

Check out, if you haven't already, the "By A Thread" performance of "Addicted!".  A joy.

I prefer the Retinal Circus version, as far as live versions go, but you can't go wrong with either.   :metal :metal

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #209 on: June 27, 2021, 12:34:59 AM »

Me too; one of my top two or three most overrated bands in rock. 

Who are your other 2?

Seems a good a place as any to do this...

Most overrated rock band :-

Oasis for me - god awful unoriginal dad/pub rock dirge, lead by the brothers grimm.

Dammit, I love Oasis! 

I have to think about this a bit... contenders are Red Hot Chili Peppers (but I resist that because Flea and Chad as such good musicians), Ratt, Motley Crue, Radiohead, Green Day, The Ramones.

LOL Sorry!

If it's any consolation I like Nirvana, Chili's, Radiohead and Green Day - But Motley Crue can f**k right off! :)

Over rated to me usually means they don't have ANY good songs. Oasis clearly had some classic tunes. Yes Wonderwall is overplayed but hearing it in 1995 - it didn't sound like anyone else

and it WAS original back then.

I'd call bands like White Stripes, Flaming Lips, Rolling Stones over rated as I hate everything they've done.

Oasis have always felt retro to me and 'Wonderwall' is the staple go to song at karaoke of the utter wanker, along with 'Gold' by Spandau Ballet.