Author Topic: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !  (Read 38093 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !
« Reply #140 on: June 21, 2021, 02:43:27 AM »
So I love Metallica mastodon Green Day...

But last night I was listening to Rasputin by Boney M  :biggrin: :metal That chorus is so good.

After that I listened to Super Trouper by Abba. Another amazing chorus.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #141 on: June 21, 2021, 01:21:27 PM »
 :lol

Both awesome tunes.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: June 21, 2021, 04:02:12 PM »
The spoken word on Rasputin sounds exactly like Principal Skinner :lol

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2021, 05:29:03 AM »
What style of music to you think of when you hear the word Grunge?

I ask because all the 4 big Grunge bands (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains & Soundgarden) generally sound nothing like each other.   Nirvana were generally a mix of 80's college rock + punk, Pearl Jam more akin to classic rock, Alice were closer to metal and Soundgarden were kind off their own thing.  So is grunge more about the time/place and fashion of the bands, rather than the music itself?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #144 on: June 23, 2021, 07:29:50 AM »
What style of music to you think of when you hear the word Grunge?

I ask because all the 4 big Grunge bands (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains & Soundgarden) generally sound nothing like each other.   Nirvana were generally a mix of 80's college rock + punk, Pearl Jam more akin to classic rock, Alice were closer to metal and Soundgarden were kind off their own thing.  So is grunge more about the time/place and fashion of the bands, rather than the music itself?

Grunge, musically, is just recycled Kiss, Zeppelin and Sabbath.   Throw in some ripped jeans, a sweater, Chuck Taylors, maybe some board shorts and Doc Marten's, and you're there.   :) :) :)

For the record, I love Alice and Soundgarden; I like Pearl Jam when it was still Stone and Jeff's band, and you can have Nirvana.  One of the top three overrated bands of all time, IMO.   

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #145 on: June 23, 2021, 08:05:41 AM »
I don't think of a specific musical style. Always felt the tag was fairly meaningless. More about a tribe / identity thing, maybe, but then the clothing style was ubiquitous before those bands were about (in the UK anyway). Odd, really.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #146 on: June 23, 2021, 10:22:31 AM »
I'd like to think the media created that label.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: June 23, 2021, 11:23:52 AM »
I don't think of a specific musical style. Always felt the tag was fairly meaningless. More about a tribe / identity thing, maybe, but then the clothing style was ubiquitous before those bands were about (in the UK anyway). Odd, really.

Not here in the states.   Grunge was in many ways a reaction to the sheer ridiculousness of the sort of traditional rock music image (look at any pictures of Axl Rose around this time). 

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #148 on: June 23, 2021, 12:39:39 PM »
I'm not a huge grunge guy, but I feel like a lot of it was a raw visceral response to what was perceived as rock becoming an overly polished product that focused more on glam and inauthentic presentation. Grunge could just come along and be a bunch of guys in ripped jeans playing sloppy basement rock, to contrast leather and spandex and big hair and such. Sure other sub-genres such as thrash metal were doing that to some degree, but this was a different style of music along with it. Kind of a back to the basics concept.

Maybe I'm off though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #149 on: June 23, 2021, 12:57:17 PM »
I think you're dead on Adami.  It was anti hair metal.  Anti glam.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: June 23, 2021, 01:08:26 PM »
But the MUSIC wasn't all that different.  There was a LOT of UFO, Black Sabbath, Kiss, and Aerosmith in grunge; the same MUSIC that fueled a lot of the West Coast glam scene to begin with.

Offline Adami

« Reply #151 on: June 23, 2021, 01:12:46 PM »
But the MUSIC wasn't all that different.  There was a LOT of UFO, Black Sabbath, Kiss, and Aerosmith in grunge; the same MUSIC that fueled a lot of the West Coast glam scene to begin with.

And there's a lot of punk in metal. And there's a lot of blues in rock. And there's classical and/or jazz in prog. It took those elements and spoke to a different audience with it.

I don't think anyone is saying that Grunge invented a wholly new type of music that bore no resemblance to anything before it. I'm just saying their image, their style, their overall message was in response to a lot of the 80's stuff. I'm not sure why this is a disagreement.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 01:23:54 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: June 23, 2021, 03:44:17 PM »

And there's a lot of punk in metal. And there's a lot of blues in rock. And there's classical and/or jazz in prog. It took those elements and spoke to a different audience with it.

I don't think anyone is saying that Grunge invented a wholly new type of music that bore no resemblance to anything before it. I'm just saying their image, their style, their overall message was in response to a lot of the 80's stuff. I'm not sure why this is a disagreement.

No disagreement. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: June 23, 2021, 04:05:01 PM »

I mentioned it a few times in the UFO listening party of Tim's but I was astounded how many times listening to some old UFO that Pearl Jam popped into my mind.  There's quite a few sings that can't help Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder popping into my mind.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: June 23, 2021, 04:05:33 PM »
Soundgarden was also the most obvious metal/grunge crossover band in the early days.  I hated calling them grunge, but they never could escape that tag.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #155 on: June 23, 2021, 04:30:39 PM »
To me, my impression of Soundgarden was always a mixture of Led Zeppelin meets Black Sabbath and that they are different than Alice in Chains and everyone in that group along with Pearl Jam and Nirvana don't really have much in common other than they were from Seattle and they did have similar circles of musician friends, but soundwise?  They don't have much in common with each other.

I think my main issues with the tags of them and Alice in Chains being labeled Grunge is that I think that certain music circles thinks that Grunge musicians are not "proficient" musicians which far from the truth.  Do you want to say that guys like Kim Thyail, Jerry Cantrell, and Chris Cornell are not great top-notch musicians that knows how to structure compelling songs?

Offline Adami

« Reply #156 on: June 23, 2021, 04:40:01 PM »

No disagreement.

WHO THE HELL ARE YOU
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: June 23, 2021, 05:01:45 PM »
To me, my impression of Soundgarden was always a mixture of Led Zeppelin meets Black Sabbath and that they are different than Alice in Chains and everyone in that group along with Pearl Jam and Nirvana don't really have much in common other than they were from Seattle and they did have similar circles of musician friends, but soundwise?  They don't have much in common with each other.

I think my main issues with the tags of them and Alice in Chains being labeled Grunge is that I think that certain music circles thinks that Grunge musicians are not "proficient" musicians which far from the truth.  Do you want to say that guys like Kim Thyail, Jerry Cantrell, and Chris Cornell are not great top-notch musicians that knows how to structure compelling songs?

Can't say I've heard that said about grunge musicians truthfully.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: June 23, 2021, 06:00:34 PM »
Oh look - a Kotowboy Hot Take...

Nirvana were the worst of the big Grunge bands.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: June 23, 2021, 06:09:44 PM »
Not a hot take. I agree. I never liked them. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #160 on: June 23, 2021, 06:18:53 PM »
Nothing wrong with Nirvana.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: June 23, 2021, 06:45:32 PM »
Oh look - a Kotowboy Hot Take...

Nirvana were the worst of the big Grunge bands.

Oh the big 4 I agree with you but I've heard worse from that era.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #162 on: June 23, 2021, 06:51:25 PM »
If I were to rank them...it'd be like this...

Alice In Chains
Soundgarden (Lower than AIC only because I haven't heard their albums much, but the songs I have heard are better than the following...)
Pearl Jam
Nirvana

Alice In Chains, has some great guitar. And the album I actually prefer is there EP Jar of Flies. I like how these are all acoustic based songs and require Layne to utilize his voice. Which this album does by showcasing how good his vocals are.

Soundgarden did the same as well.

Pearl Jam, I mainly only got into Ten and that's all. Some great songs on that one too. And I like the bass tone on that album.

I only like a couple songs from Nirvana, the rest I don't really care for much. Mainly cause of Cobain's vocals and just their droopy sound they had.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #163 on: June 24, 2021, 03:01:22 AM »

Yeah me neither.  Aside from a lot of dismissing of Cobains Guitar ability, the other three bands (and Grohl is a great drummer) are stocked with great players.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: June 24, 2021, 05:03:56 AM »

Yeah me neither.  Aside from a lot of dismissing of Cobains Guitar ability, the other three bands (and Grohl is a great drummer) are stocked with great players.

That's exactly what I thought the comment may be aimed at.  But apart from that, yeah great musicians.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: June 24, 2021, 05:53:02 AM »
Bleach was ok. Nevermind is obviously great and In Utero was really nothing special. If Bleach was followed by In Utero nobody would be talking about Nirvana any more.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: June 24, 2021, 06:09:13 AM »
My ranking would be slightly different:

AIC
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden
Nirvana

I think with Nirvana my favorite album was their unplugged album, I think it was one of the best unplugged sets to come from that MTV series.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: June 24, 2021, 06:48:27 AM »

Me too; one of my top two or three most overrated bands in rock. 

Soundgarden/AIC
Stone and Jeff's Pearl Jam (Ten, Vs.)
Eddie's Pearl Jam (Vitalogy and everything after...)
Nirvana

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #168 on: June 24, 2021, 07:18:20 AM »

Who are your other 2?

Seems a good a place as any to do this...

Most overrated rock band :-

Oasis for me - god awful unoriginal dad/pub rock dirge, lead by the brothers grimm.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #169 on: June 24, 2021, 07:49:29 AM »

Soundgarden/AIC
Nirvana

It's so funny how perspective shifts over time. Ten years ago, I'd be with you there word for word, but in recent years, 'Eddie's' PJ has been some of my most listened to music. I now consider Binaural and No Code to be near-flawless albums and freaking listened to that Avacado one for three months straight.

And Nirvana, a band I had little use for 25 years ago, has been a pleasent surprise as well. Bleach and In Utero have gotten some serious play in recent years.

That all being said, Soundgarden has ALWAYS been a top-5 band for me, and I still consider Superunknown the bestmy favourite album of the 90's.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: June 24, 2021, 07:51:40 AM »

Who are your other 2?

Oasis for me - god awful unoriginal dad/pub rock dirge, lead by the brothers grimm.

Dammit, I love Oasis! 

I have to think about this a bit... contenders are Red Hot Chili Peppers (but I resist that because Flea and Chad as such good musicians), Ratt, Motley Crue, Radiohead, Green Day, The Ramones.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: June 24, 2021, 07:56:33 AM »

Soundgarden/AIC
Nirvana

It's so funny how perspective shifts over time. Ten years ago, I'd be with you there word for word, but in recent years, 'Eddie's' PJ has been some of my most listened to music. I now consider Binaural and No Code to be near-flawless albums and freaking listened to that Avacado one for three months straight.

And Nirvana, a band I had little use for 25 years ago, has been a pleasent surprise as well. Bleach and In Utero have gotten some serious play in recent years.

That all being said, Soundgarden has ALWAYS been a top-5 band for me, and I still consider Superunknown the bestmy favourite album of the 90's.

Binaural and Yield are the two best of the "Eddie Years".  You can have No Code.  For me it's No Bueno.   

I tried with Nirvana, I really did.  I bought the box set for $5 online, figuring once I got past the commerciality of Nevermind, maybe there'd be something.   Acoustic is always good (I LOVE the Unlplugged record), but... nope.    Some decent songwriting, but a lot of average playing, and sorry, but Kurt's snarky too-cool-for-school attitude is supremely off-putting.  I consider him one of the bigger hypocrites to come out of that era.  I hate speculation, and usually chide others for assuming they know what someone else is thinking, but I'll cop to believing deep down that Cobain knew it; he craved the very thing he purported to reject, and the snide, snarky snobbery was his shield to hide that.   

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: June 24, 2021, 08:19:34 AM »

Who are your other 2?

Dammit, I love Oasis! 

I have to think about this a bit... contenders are Red Hot Chili Peppers (but I resist that because Flea and Chad as such good musicians), Ratt, Motley Crue, Radiohead, Green Day, The Ramones.   

I've been going through the RHCP discography slowly over the past few months and I think they are pretty overrated. There are some great songs here and there but the rest of the stuff is largely forgettable in my eyes.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: June 24, 2021, 08:29:50 AM »

Soundgarden/AIC
Nirvana

Yield
(Self Titled)
Backspacer

Those are my three favorites from the later era.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #174 on: June 24, 2021, 08:30:10 AM »

Who are your other 2?

Dammit, I love Oasis! 

LOL Sorry!

If it's any consolation I like Nirvana, Chili's, Radiohead and Green Day - But Motley Crue can f**k right off! :)