Author Topic: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !  (Read 38288 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2021, 07:27:55 AM »
I must say that I don't have the slightest bit of interest in the new LTE. I just cannot get excited about it.
Understandable.  After all, it was produced after 1988.

:biggrin:

Hah!

I enjoyed the first two LTE albums, even though I never listen to them. I'm having a hard time deciding to spend money on the new one.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2021, 07:29:19 AM »
If you aren't likely to listen, don't buy it.  Just listen on Spotify.

Oh, wait.  Do you have Spotify?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2021, 07:31:08 AM »

I not only have Spotify, but we have a family subscription. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2021, 07:31:23 AM »

I not only have Spotify, but we have a family subscription. ;D
There you go.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2021, 05:24:15 AM »
I must say that I don't have the slightest bit of interest in the new LTE. I just cannot get excited about it.

Same. I also still haven't heard John Petrucci's solo album.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2021, 02:19:42 AM »
Unsurprisingly, The Offspring's new album is hot garbage.

I'm going to pretend they retired after Splinter, and sold the rights to the band name.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2021, 02:25:26 AM »
Unsurprisingly, The Offspring's new album is hot garbage.

I'm going to pretend they retired after Splinter, and sold the rights to the band name.

I'm going to punish myself with it later. Don't think I've even listened to anything they released after Splinter.

Edit: just checked and no, I've never listened to any post Splinter albums. I've only seen them live once, and that was September '04. I think I just heard such bad things about their more recent albums I didn't even bother. I need to at least make my own mind up though.

It's really rare for any of those punk bands who were big In the 90s to still be making decent/relevant records. That's why NOFX are my favourite punk band. They are still putting out quality records nearly 40 years into their career!

Unfortunately bands like Green Day went the same way as Offspring for me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2021, 12:28:35 PM »
People say that Father Of All...by Green Day was a hot mess - when it really isn't. It's a fun, well produced and performed pop punk album.

People act like the entire album was as off the wall and bizarre as the falsetto vocal on the title track - which is actually a great rock and roll song.

Father Of All.. still has gems like Sugar Youth and Graffitia.

Meanwhile The Offspring have been sh*t for years now.

I know I LOVE Green Day but they've yet to do an out and out TERRIBLE album like a St Anger or a Concrete and Gold in my opinion.

Revolution Radio is a really good recent album.

EDIT : oh and i really really f-ing *hate* NOFX  :lol.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2021, 12:34:55 PM »
Ok so i'm checking out the new Offspring album and  :| :| :|

I can't believe BOB ROCK produced this.

IT SOUNDS DREADFUL.

Has he gone deaf ?!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2021, 12:56:38 PM »
Ok so i'm checking out the new Offspring album and  :| :| :|

I can't believe BOB ROCK produced this.

IT SOUNDS DREADFUL.

Has he gone deaf ?!

He's 66. It's very possible his hearing is going.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2021, 12:58:33 PM »
If not then he's fallen out with the band cause the production is horrendous. It's definitely their St. Anger.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2021, 01:07:50 PM »
I haven't listened to this album but the guy who produced St. Anger also produced another album that sounds like St. Anger?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2021, 01:14:25 PM »
I haven't listened to this album but the guy who produced St. Anger also produced another album that sounds like St. Anger?

It's not as bad as St. Anger, but the production is still pretty poor. I forgot Bob Rock produced St. Anger, so was the black album just a fluke, or does he have other notable albums that sound good?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2021, 01:16:03 PM »

It's not as bad as St. Anger, but the production is still pretty poor. I forgot Bob Rock produced St. Anger, so was the black album just a fluke, or does he have other notable albums that sound good?

Load, ReLoad, Garage Inc and S&M all sound amazing. St. anger was deliberate. Good or bad. Dunno much of his other work.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2021, 01:18:32 PM »
Yeah St Anger was supposed to sound raw as hell. It wasn't a huge accident or anything.

The New Offspring sounds like it was produced by the work experience kid.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: April 16, 2021, 01:21:13 PM »

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #121 on: April 16, 2021, 01:21:24 PM »
People say that Father Of All...by Green Day was a hot mess - when it really isn't. It's a fun, well produced and performed pop punk album.

People act like the entire album was as off the wall and bizarre as the falsetto vocal on the title track - which is actually a great rock and roll song.

Father Of All.. still has gems like Sugar Youth and Graffitia.

Meanwhile The Offspring have been sh*t for years now.

I know I LOVE Green Day but they've yet to do an out and out TERRIBLE album like a St Anger or a Concrete and Gold in my opinion.

Revolution Radio is a really good recent album.

EDIT : oh and i really really f-ing *hate* NOFX  :lol.

Green Day were the first punk band I truly fell in love with. I was obsessed from like 2002-2005. They were the band that literally my whole friendship group were into. There wasn't a house party I went to at that time, where Green Day WASN'T playing.

I mean maybe it was just my tastes changing, but I was not a fan of the way their sound went after American Idiot. I have listened to Father of All... and can safely say I will never listen to that again. I was just not into it at all.

New Offspring is fine, it sounds like an Offspring album is all I can say really though.

If we're talking NOFX though. Hands down greatest punk band with the strongest catalogue going. If you compare Green Day and NOFX's 90s output, it's a close call. But if you compare their 2000s and 2010s output, NOFX fucking destroys them!!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2021, 01:23:07 PM »
I can't get into NOFX's sound quality - Fat Mike's voice ( or his opinions ). And he's not a very good bass player.

( all IMO of course ).

None of Green Day's albums sound like they were recorded live to a ghetto blaster.

----

If I may toot my own horn for a moment - :)

https://davidoakes.bandcamp.com/track/the-anomaly-part4

I think this track on my new album sounds pretty damn good and i'm not a multi million selling record producer.

Sometimes I wonder how the hell you fuck up a ROCK AND ROLL ALBUM.  :(

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2021, 02:43:20 PM »
I can't get into NOFX's sound quality - Fat Mike's voice ( or his opinions ). And he's not a very good bass player.

( all IMO of course ).

None of Green Day's albums sound like they were recorded live to a ghetto blaster

It's a fair comment about Fat Mike. I agree (and so would he) that he's not a very good bass player. Eric Melvin isn't a particularly great guitar player either. I can also understand you not liking his opinions either, all fair comments.

NOFX are more than that for me.  I love Fat Mike's song writing, I love the variation in their catalogue. I love their honesty. I love their live show, it's part stand up comedy, and they own the fact that they fuck up live a lot. It's just real and I like that. They've never signed to a major label and done things their own way.

They also wrote the greatest song ever written, so there's that.

As to your last comment, I guess I'm not too fussed on the production of albums. Some of NOFX's albums could sound better but I'd still take them over any album Green Day released in the last 15 years

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: April 17, 2021, 06:36:20 PM »
So my 3 year old said to me randomly... "hey, do you remember the song about going home?" Anyone who has kids know that their minds can be full of random thoughts, and those thoughts can come out at the most random times. Something they think happened "yesterday" really happened 3 months ago, and vice versa. I told her I didn't know what she was talking about, and she kept saying "you know, the song with the people, how they wanted to go home...."

5 minutes later I realized she was referring to this video she and I watched a few days ago, The Fendertones doing a cover of Sloop John B, which, yep, has lyrics about wanting to going home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmJ6e06eYcM
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: April 18, 2021, 05:50:54 AM »
I immediately thought of this absolute gem :

Mark Knopfler : Going Home

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #126 on: April 18, 2021, 06:28:10 AM »

If I may toot my own horn for a moment - :)

https://davidoakes.bandcamp.com/track/the-anomaly-part4

I think this track on my new album sounds pretty damn good and i'm not a multi million selling record producer.

That's excellent, man. In music and sound. Really enjoyed it. I recorded cobbled together a few songs last year and none of them sound like that.  :lol
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: April 18, 2021, 02:04:51 PM »
Thank you. I have a bit of production training and a lot of it is trial and error.

Every album I make is a lesson.

:-)

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #128 on: April 20, 2021, 10:22:32 PM »
So I was reading an article from Ultimate-Guitar (don't know why I still read from that site, the quality of their content have gone horribly downhill for a good while now) and they questioned whether or not if Nu-Metal ruined metal.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/did_nu_metal_ruin_metal.html

I don't think it did.  Sure, the perceived trend and image of Nu-Metal was probably not good, highlighted by one Limp Bizkit, but there was a lot of solid bands from that period.  System of a Down, Linkin Park, Korn, Disturbed, etc.  That stated, I used to listen to Sirius XM Turbo (which highlights a lot of 90s and 00s hard rock which contains plenty of those Nu-Metal bands) and for every made band that I listed, there was like every 2-3 other bands I listen to and think, "Oh yeah, whatever happened to that band?" 

Also, it's odd that a few bands from that period didn't really get a lot of attention from the non-rock mainstream circles as Disturbed or Korn like Chevelle or Sevendust, but oh well, those bands still have a steady career of solid music and is still well-known around the modern hard rock circles.  As a guy that grew up around a period listening to those bands around the late 00s, I don't think Nu Metal as a whole deserved too much flack for any downfall of rock, but I'm also in the same mindset that it's pointless to blame bands like Creed and Nickelback for this perceived downfall of rock.

There's always going to be an evolving trend on what kids under 18 listen to and probably comes a point where the kids aren't listening to rock.  Back then, there was a period where the kids listened to AC/DC, Van Halen, and Rush.  Then, it came to the kids listening to Metallica and GNR.  Then to Nirvana.  Then to Disturbed and Linkin Park and Green Day and so forth.  Nowadays, I don't know what the kids are listening to.  It may sound good or not.  Can't tell.  Don't have time to invest in it, but we can't discourage them and hopefully, they can continue to find something exciting to listen to.  I don't know where I was going in this ....... train of thought......

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #129 on: April 20, 2021, 10:26:50 PM »
 The most underrated band from that Era just announced a reunion for Festivals...

Mudvayne, made some great albums and songs. Their last album was awesome and a damn shame they split before getting to tour and play these songs live.

I sure hope they play them live at these festivals, besides their hits that they always play.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #130 on: April 20, 2021, 10:36:10 PM »
^^ Right, forgot about Mudvayne.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #131 on: April 21, 2021, 11:00:38 AM »
Name a genre or sub-genre, and there's usually at least ONE band I listen to from it.  Except nu-metal.  Didn't like it then, and don't like it now.   I kind of like some of the solo acoustic stuff that Aaron Lewis did, and the cover of "The Sound Of Silence" by Disturbed is excellent - particularly the vocal by David Draiman, who is a fascinating character - but by and large you can have all of it.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #132 on: June 18, 2021, 11:39:16 AM »
Didn't want to post this in the concerts thread since this is a 2022 event, not 2021, but the Hellfest festival in France next year is pretty damn massive.  It's going to be a seven-day festival that will span two weekends and loaded with a lot of massive bands.  Who wants to make the trip overseas to France and spend two weeks there?

https://loudwire.com/hellfest-2022-lineup/

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: June 18, 2021, 11:50:43 AM »
Wow, so many bands I'd love to see.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: June 18, 2021, 01:24:40 PM »
I love reading those and thinking, "huh, so-and-so is still a band? They still tour?!?"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #135 on: June 18, 2021, 02:00:20 PM »
OK, everyone...You can go to Hellfest, but only for ONE day.

Which day do you choose?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #136 on: June 18, 2021, 02:17:01 PM »
I would pick the Guns n Roses day.  I would mainly be there for Myles Kennedy, but seeing bands like Dirty Honey, Epica, Airborune, and Nightwish seems like a nice bonus as well.

The second mainstage on June 17th seems to be within my neighborhood of bands that usually gets played on Octane.  Shinedown, Mastodon, FFDP, and Volbeat.  Opeth is on it as well.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #137 on: June 18, 2021, 02:35:13 PM »
Probably Mercyful Fate day. Then Scorpions or Alice Cooper day.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #138 on: June 18, 2021, 03:48:37 PM »
I'd pick Scorpions Day because the band I would want to see the most would be Helloween. But I'd also get UFO!!! Tribulation is also playing that day.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: June 20, 2021, 11:02:20 AM »
Well, Scorpions day is the day with the most bands I like, so there's that.

I would like to see the Faith No More day, since I've never seen them and I LOVE Rival Sons.

I'd go to the Priest, Purple, Devin Townsend and G'n'R days as well.

There are a LOT of days there that I actively would NOT want to see, though.   Sorry.