Author Topic: Terry Syrek concept album STORY feat. Marco Minnemann, Lalle Larsson....  (Read 1437 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVhrBoF4uro&ab_channel=ominox

Haven't heard about Terry Syrek before but after watching some videos...holy shit! This sounds really cool with some killer players!

Terry Syrek - Guitars
Lalle Larsson - Keyboards
Marco Minnemann - Drums
Bryan Beller - Bass
Mohini Dey - Bass
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Terry Syrek concept album STORY feat. Marco Minnemann, Lalle Larsson....
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 06:10:31 AM »
Ok, that lineup has my interest. When is it coming out?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 10:24:54 AM »
Ok, that lineup has my interest. When is it coming out?
I'm not sure actually, I guess sometime in 2021.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 06:34:57 AM »
Welp, I went into his facebook and looked at a video that was posted on September with snippets of some of the songs. This is definitely not what I'm looking for to be honest. It seems to be a lot of musical masturbation with little direction.  :-\
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 08:40:56 AM »
Lalle Larsson - Terry Syrek keyboard sessions 2020 Part 2

Welp, I went into his facebook and looked at a video that was posted on September with snippets of some of the songs. This is definitely not what I'm looking for to be honest. It seems to be a lot of musical masturbation with little direction.  :-\
Yea it's a bit of a shreddfest but I like it. Some killer players so i'm looking forward to the final mix.

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2021, 11:11:21 AM »
I am lucky enough to have heard Terry's STORY album this week and without doubt, this is one of the best albums of its kind I have ever heard! I used to run an instrumental guitar label back in the day called Liquid Note Records, so I have heard much amazing guitar music (we featured Terry on several of our CDs) and have been listening to and promoting virtuosity for decades now. I've been in touch with Terry for over 30 years and Lalle (on keys) is one of my best friends. Truly this is an astonishingly good album, and I'm not saying that because I know Terry and Lalle. I rarely listen to instrumental guitar music nowadays having burned out on it after so many years, but when I heard Terry's new album I was literally left in a state of shock!! I thought I had heard it all - I had NOT! The album is released on 21/12. STORY has been 10 years in the making and features incredible performances from all participants - a once-in-a-lifetime adventure. DT and LTE fans (which includes me, naturally) are going go crazy over this. I envy you all hearing it for the first time like I did the other day.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 12:30:40 AM by shredder2001@gmail.com »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 10:18:59 PM »

Damn, if you can't sell someone on some wanking on a Dream Theater forum, where can you?  lol

I rarely listen to instrumental guitar music nowadays having burned out on it after so many years, but when I heard Terry's new album I was literally left in a state of shock!! I thought I had heard it all - I had NOT!

From a bit more distant perspective on this project, I'll add a bit of my story.  I'm one of many guys that discovered shred at a fairly early age.  In my case it was a buildup into 80s glam metal and shortly after the G3 scene by the late 90s, accompanied by learning guitar.  Never put enough time into it to get that great with any semblance of alternate picking or sweeping chops, but I have an ok array of legato and tapping tricks to fool novices.  By the early 00s I had dove headfirst into prog metal and power metal.  They were a lot of my bread and butter listening for a number of years. 

But by sometime in the late 00s I had kind of burned out on metal and instrumental or instrumentally-focused technical rock bands.  I had already gotten heavily into electronic music and that stayed much more dominant for most of the 10s, with other diversions here and there. However, then in the second half of the 10s I stumbled upon a newer emerging scene of younger players that blew my mind.  At the forefront was Plini, and also other guys like David Maxim Micic, Sithu Aye, Intervals, and others.  They had this fascinating alchemy of blending melody and technicality in a way I'd never heard quite like that before.  Since then guitar-driven instrumental music has returned as a balanced part of my listening, along with a much heavier dosage of metal again.  Crazy pyrotechnics and ambient, drone-based music can coexist to scratch different listening needs, sometimes it just takes the right project to rejuvenate your interest. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 10:28:41 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 12:25:47 AM »
Yeah, with you there. My diet is almost exclusively vocal stuff nowadays - has been in over 15 years now as I totally burned out on this stuff, but certain things can indeed revive your interest, and this was one of them. You may also recall that Rich Kern contributed some programming samples to DT's Scenes From A Memory back in the day. He was always one of my fave 90s players, and some of his early stuff is VERY DT. And of course he had a few projects going with Kevin Moore at one point. Wish he was still playing as he was something special.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 12:46:26 AM by shredder2001@gmail.com »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2021, 04:55:33 AM »

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2021, 03:33:48 PM »

Damn, if you can't sell someone on some wanking on a Dream Theater forum, where can you?  lol

I rarely listen to instrumental guitar music nowadays having burned out on it after so many years, but when I heard Terry's new album I was literally left in a state of shock!! I thought I had heard it all - I had NOT!

From a bit more distant perspective on this project, I'll add a bit of my story.  I'm one of many guys that discovered shred at a fairly early age.  In my case it was a buildup into 80s glam metal and shortly after the G3 scene by the late 90s, accompanied by learning guitar.  Never put enough time into it to get that great with any semblance of alternate picking or sweeping chops, but I have an ok array of legato and tapping tricks to fool novices.  By the early 00s I had dove headfirst into prog metal and power metal.  They were a lot of my bread and butter listening for a number of years. 

But by sometime in the late 00s I had kind of burned out on metal and instrumental or instrumentally-focused technical rock bands.  I had already gotten heavily into electronic music and that stayed much more dominant for most of the 10s, with other diversions here and there. However, then in the second half of the 10s I stumbled upon a newer emerging scene of younger players that blew my mind.  At the forefront was Plini, and also other guys like David Maxim Micic, Sithu Aye, Intervals, and others.  They had this fascinating alchemy of blending melody and technicality in a way I'd never heard quite like that before.  Since then guitar-driven instrumental music has returned as a balanced part of my listening, along with a much heavier dosage of metal again.  Crazy pyrotechnics and ambient, drone-based music can coexist to scratch different listening needs, sometimes it just takes the right project to rejuvenate your interest.

My musical journey was somewhat similar actually and I really enjoy the musicians and bands you listed however I've never really had -too much- burnout because I'm always listening to something different.

I actually missed this thread and this album but am very interested in checking it out now. Thanks guys! :tup

Offline Glasser

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2021, 03:56:11 PM »
Terry is incredible and the album is massive!!!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2021, 07:05:43 AM »
Listening to this album on Bandcamp and it’s amazing indeed!! Very complex but very musical at same time.
I bought on iTunes Aum and Machine Elves and both are very cool albums, but Story is the next level for sure.
Just a tip, you can hear the entire album before purchasing it on Bandcamp.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)