Author Topic: The Rolling Stones  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
The Rolling Stones
« on: January 11, 2021, 07:20:00 PM »
I could only find a thread that had 2013 tour dates, so I started this.  But I've been on a Stones kick lately.  I watched "Crossfire Hurricane, I watched the Stones In Exile doc, and I watched the docs with the Four Flicks set. 

I gotta say, I think they are in another league.  I get that there's screening going on - meaning, none of the clips make it unless they're up to snuff - but watching them in the backstage, at rehearsal, and in the studio, they are just so fluid.  And live, whether it's a club, an arena, or a stadium, it's always solid.  There may be more or less jamming, it may be loose in terms of the melody or the parts, but in terms of time in terms of being in synch, it's almost always there.  As of 2003 or so, when the Four Flicks stuff was done, Mick had almost no loss of voice (he actually sounded better now than he did in the early 80's).  Keith is Keith, but between him and Ronnie, it's almost psychic.  It's really hard to tell sometimes where one ends and the other begins. It's really amazing the body of work that they've put together. 

Its funny, I was going to write that it seems like they never play the same song the same way twice, but if you listen to the Live At The Marquee set they have back to back versions of "I Got The Blues" and "Bitch", and ragged though they are, they are almost identical, so it's ragged BY DESIGN.  I love that.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Rolling Stones
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 07:43:37 PM »
always a great topic,,,, where to start,,,2000 Lightyears

https://youtu.be/nRc0yaMW7Mw
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 07:49:52 PM »
The Rolling Stones have always been a real peripheral band for me. I actually don't own anything from the 70's.

I do own Emotional Rescue and Tattoo You (and Still Life, for that matter), as these were popular when I was starting to really get into music. They are both cool as hell, even though I was already leaning heavier.

I saw them in 1989 and even bought Steel Wheels. That's a good album. and I loved the show. I knew pretty much every song played. I saw them again in 1997 and the show was a lot more bluesy, more jammy I felt. Still an amazing sight to see live.

Listening to Tattoo You right now.
Damn, Slave rocks. Love the guitar solo.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 08:01:23 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 08:03:08 PM »
This is a band I’ve never been into. Someone give me a couple songs to check out that weren’t big radio hits and I’ll report back with my findings.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 08:21:06 PM »
I never owned any of their stuff other than the Hot Rocks compilation, which is about as good of a compilation as possible. I listened to the crap out of that in classic rock salad days.

I burned out on classic rock in college when I started exploring other bands and genres. These days, some bands like The Beatles and Zep I never think to listen to; others like Floyd and The Who I still listen to often. The Stones fall somewhere in the middle. I never think "Hey, I should play some Stones!" yet whenever I hear one of their songs, I think "Why don't I listen to them more?"

This is a band I’ve never been into. Someone give me a couple songs to check out that weren’t big radio hits and I’ll report back with my findings.

Barto* would say they have 2 perfect songs: Gimme Shelter and Can't You Hear Me Knocking (I know they are big radio hits, but maybe not the first you would think of). Not a view I'd argue with.

*apologies if I am misquoting you
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 08:22:56 PM »
I love Gimme Shelter, but I am definitely not a fan of Can't You Hear Me Knocking.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 08:39:03 PM »
I don't listen to the Stones much, but I love Sticky Fingers and then a bunch of other songs from various albums.  I will admit that I am still a sucker for Undercover of the Night from the 80's (still can't believe how much MTV used to play that violent video!), but it doesn't get any better than Gimme Shelter, Can't You Hear Me Knocking and Paint It Black.

Offline HOF

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 08:44:54 PM »
Ok, I’m quite familiar with Gimme Shelter but I’m checking it out willingly for the first time in my life. It’s definitely a classic song, and I can see why it became a classic (that’s a pretty cool guitar riff running throughout it, and as an anti-war anthem it certainly resonates), but it’s 4:30 long and feels a bit like 8:00. I think we got the point about war being just a shout away the first time, second, or third time.

I’ll try Can’t You Hear Me Knocking, which I might know but can’t recall from the title.

Edit: Ok, I tried Can’t You Hear Me Knocking. Not sure I’ve heard that before or not. It’s 7 minutes long so maybe it was edited for radio? The first half is boring as heck, but the jazzy/psychedelic instrumental half is genuinely pretty cool. So definitely gets points for the second half. More of that and less of the first half would be good!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 09:12:41 PM by HOF »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 09:36:48 PM »
i don't recall Can't You Hear Me Knocking being edited for radio.

Paint it Black might be the best rock song used for end title credits in a film as well (Full Metal Jacket).

I have said before that on a song by song basis, I'd put my "Greatest Hits" (meaning I chose the songs) CD of the Stones on top of that of any band in the genre. The entirety of their discography, or their albums as a whole, tops The Beatles, LZ, Floyd, or anyone from that era. But my favorites of theirs outmatch them all.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 09:48:06 PM »
Delete - double-post

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 03:17:58 AM »
I enjoy a handful of songs from this group, but as a general rule I find them immensely boring.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 03:26:59 AM »
I enjoy a handful of songs from this group, but as a general rule I find them immensely boring.

Yes. And maybe The Beatles would be this dull if they were still together. I mean they formed - changed popular music forever and split after 8 years. Job Done.

Soon the Stones will have been a band for like 50 years. Which is ridiculous imo.

Obviously they came from a time where nobody cared how good they were at their instruments - but they still sound like none of them has gotten any better in 50 years  ;D

I saw a clip of them playing live recently and I swear i've heard pub bands do their own songs better.

But if they still enjoy it and they can still sell out stadiums - good on them. I would never want to be playing drums in a band when i was 80.

---

I do like how eccentric Charlie Watts is though - apparently he buys expensive cars exclusively just to sit in them - not drive them  :D

And he says he never hits two things at the same time when drumming - so you can hear each one better - despite there being these things called

" microphones " that they have now.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 04:29:27 AM »

I'm definitely closer to this statement than anything else.  I own the Hot Rocks compilation, and am largely a 'best-of' / radio hits fan.  They've definitely got some of the greatest all-time rock hits, but I just never explored them much.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2021, 07:30:02 AM »
I think that incredibly bare bones basic rock and roll woulda sounded great in the 60s but nowadays ? It just sounds so prehistoric.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2021, 07:42:47 AM »
Never liked the Stones.  I don't begrudge them their place in history, they just never did anything for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2021, 07:56:20 AM »
I love Gimme Shelter, but I am definitely not a fan of Can't You Hear Me Knocking.

Gimme Shelter is my favorite song of theirs, by far.    I like CYHMK, but when I first heard it, I made an edit cutting out the middle jam (on cassette tape; it took a long time but I was SO proud of myself; I thought I was Martin Birch!) and it was better.

If I was to give five songs, not radio hits, I would give:
- All Down The Line (from Exile On Main Street)
- If You Can't Rock Me (from It's Only Rock And Roll)
- It Must Be Hell (from Undercover Of The Night)
- 2,000 Man (from Their Satanic Majesty's Request)
- Monkey Man (from Let It Bleed)
- Emotional Rescue (from Emotional Rescue)

Including radio hits:
- Gimme Shelter
- Street Fighting Man
- Under My Thumb
- One Hit To The Body
- Brown Sugar
- Angie

They did the Licks tour, and literally did theaters, arenas and stadia - sometimes, like Boston, all three in one city - all with different set lists.   Pretty much the entire catalogue was in play for that tour.  I've heard at least snippets from about 12 shows from that tour and all were SPOT ON.   They tailored the sets for the venue - bombastic rock for stadium shows, more obscure blues oriented material for the theaters - and were able to play it all. 

The one criticism I have is that Keith started, in the late 60's, to use a ton of different tunings.  It takes me too long to adjust all the tuning to play the songs, and while they can all be played in standard tuning, it's a little harder, and it just doesn't sound right.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 08:07:40 AM by Stadler »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2021, 08:02:17 AM »

Yes. And maybe The Beatles would be this dull if they were still together. I mean they formed - changed popular music forever and split after 8 years. Job Done.

Soon the Stones will have been a band for like 50 years. Which is ridiculous imo.

Obviously they came from a time where nobody cared how good they were at their instruments - but they still sound like none of them has gotten any better in 50 years  ;D

I saw a clip of them playing live recently and I swear i've heard pub bands do their own songs better.

But if they still enjoy it and they can still sell out stadiums - good on them. I would never want to be playing drums in a band when i was 80.

---

I do like how eccentric Charlie Watts is though - apparently he buys expensive cars exclusively just to sit in them - not drive them  :D

And he says he never hits two things at the same time when drumming - so you can hear each one better - despite there being these things called

" microphones " that they have now.

I get not liking them, music or otherwise (Mick Jagger is an eminently unlikable guy, and Keef is a caricature at this point).  But to say they never got any better at their instruments, that's just flat out false.  Charlie Watts, c'mon.  I have video - it's on the Live Licks set, in the documentary about the charity show they did in Toronto with Rush and a couple other bands - of Neil Peart meeting Charlie and basically bowing to him as they shook hands.  I don't know what show you saw, but I saw the Bigger Bang tour in a stadium (albeit a smaller one) and in terms of playing and representing, they nailed it.  I thought it was phenomenal - especially when the entire stadium went "red" for Sympathy For The Devil; they took a 38,000 seat stadium and turned it into a sweaty club for 8 minutes. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2021, 08:07:02 AM »

I'm definitely closer to this statement than anything else.  I own the Hot Rocks compilation, and am largely a 'best-of' / radio hits fan.  They've definitely got some of the greatest all-time rock hits, but I just never explored them much.

That's the thing, though.   I was trying to put together that five song list for HOF, and it was hard.   You can actually do about five or six of them.  They aren't as eclectic as Queen, but they are like Queen in that none of their albums - save for Exile on Main Street - are all that homogenous.    You could put a five song list together of straight blues, and another one for 60's pop, and another one for psychedelia, and another one for early 70's arena rock,  another for country, another for acoustic ballads, another one for disco/dance music... and I'm sure that everyone here would know at least one or two songs from every list, and you'd still have songs you couldn't fit into them.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2021, 08:34:31 AM »
The older radio hits that I think are great are:
Gimme Shelter
Paint It Black
Mother's Little Helper
Under My Thumb
Bitch

Bitch is great tune, especially for 1971.

One song I really love is 100 Years Ago.

Offline HOF

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2021, 08:54:08 AM »

Gimme Shelter is my favorite song of theirs, by far.    I like CYHMK, but when I first heard it, I made an edit cutting out the middle jam (on cassette tape; it took a long time but I was SO proud of myself; I thought I was Martin Birch!) and it was better.

If I was to give five songs, not radio hits, I would give:
- All Down The Line (from Exile On Main Street)
- If You Can't Rock Me (from It's Only Rock And Roll)
- It Must Be Hell (from Undercover Of The Night)
- 2,000 Man (from Their Satanic Majesty's Request)
- Monkey Man (from Let It Bleed)
- Emotional Rescue (from Emotional Rescue)

Including radio hits:
- Gimme Shelter
- Street Fighting Man
- Under My Thumb
- One Hit To The Body
- Brown Sugar
- Angie

They did the Licks tour, and literally did theaters, arenas and stadia - sometimes, like Boston, all three in one city - all with different set lists.   Pretty much the entire catalogue was in play for that tour.  I've heard at least snippets from about 12 shows from that tour and all were SPOT ON.   They tailored the sets for the venue - bombastic rock for stadium shows, more obscure blues oriented material for the theaters - and were able to play it all. 

The one criticism I have is that Keith started, in the late 60's, to use a ton of different tunings.  It takes me too long to adjust all the tuning to play the songs, and while they can all be played in standard tuning, it's a little harder, and it just doesn't sound right.

Will try to check the above out when I have a quiet moment!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2021, 08:56:12 AM »
I don't know about Charlie - but whenever I see footage of them playing live now - none of them look like they want to be there. Keith seems to putting zero effort into playing.

They must be extremely wealthy and if they clearly don't enjoy it - why bother ?

Having said that - I had no idea Keith was such a good vocalist. I heard him take lead vocals on one song and I was like - wow his voice is SO much better than Mick's... :lol

It has a nice gravelly Paul Rodgers kinda tone.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2021, 09:06:55 AM »
Something interesting to me because I grew up through a lot of it, and which I understand people may not care about, is how ingrained they are with the culture and zeitgeist of the time period.   The Crossfire Hurricane doc goes into this in some detail; the Beatles were the white hats.   The Stones, looking for their niche (and despite being pretty good friends with the Beatles, especially John) sort of defaulted to what Keith called "the grey hats".   But over time, as they moved into the late 60's, early 70's, and the Beatles were not so clearly the white hats anymore, teh Stones sort of started to, as Mick said, live as their characters, not as themselves.   That led to the drugs, Altamont, and was reflected in the music.   Someone said "antiwar, we get it" about Gimme Shelter, and it was so much more than that. 

Then go into '71, '72, and becoming literal exiles to their country (they famously recorded most of Exile in the south of France, until they had to leave because the law was on to them), it became something so much more than the music.   THEN they took that debauchery and hedonism on the road... that Exile tour is one of the most famous in rock and roll history, and documented in "Cocksucker Blues" a documentary so incendiary that the band fought in court to block it's release (it's never been widely released, though it HAS to be shown - by court order - a select number of times each year under strict circumstances, i.e. like at art festivals or in museums).   

People often talk about how the Beatles were "John's band" for the first four years, and "Paul's band" for the last four.  The Stones take that to another level. The band morphed incredibly over the 50 years or so they've been around.  Initially Brian Jones' band, by the mid-to-late 60's, Jagger and Richard had sort of marginalized Jones, and it was really Keith's band up through Exile.  Exile - recorded in his basement in France - was his last real burst of creativity before succumbing to a heroin addiction.  Jagger "led" the Stones through much of the 70's, until Keith kicked his habit in '78 or so.   The 80's albums - Emotional Rescue through Dirty Work - were the band fighting (the last two, Undercover and Dirty Work, the two rarely spoke and didn't tour for DW because of the acrimony). And from Steel Wheels to the present, it's been a consortium.  The interesting thing from the Crossfire Hurricane doc and the Live Licks docs is how involved Charlie is; he picks a lot of the artwork, and was instrumental in designing the stage sets for the tours in the 90's and 00's.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2021, 09:13:43 AM »
I don't know about Charlie - but whenever I see footage of them playing live now - none of them look like they want to be there. Keith seems to putting zero effort into playing.

They must be extremely wealthy and if they clearly don't enjoy it - why bother ?

Having said that - I had no idea Keith was such a good vocalist. I heard him take lead vocals on one song and I was like - wow his voice is SO much better than Mick's... :lol

It has a nice gravelly Paul Rodgers kinda tone.
I know I seem like I'm arguing with you, but I'm not; I'm just sharing what I know or think I know.

I think they DO enjoy it, very much.  If you watch the band interact, they are VERY engaged in the whole process:  studio, touring, artwork, press, etc.   Charlie can tell you where each of the Exile tracks were recorded, 30 years later.   They put almost three months of preparation into the Live Licks tour, between going into the studio to prepare a couple new songs, to the rehearsals they did for each of the three "sets".  They literally had a separate rehearsal for each of the types of shows they did.   Honestly, I think the "attitude" is less that they don't care than it's such a part of their life now that it's not something that jumps out.  I'm not saying it's like doing dishes for them, not mundane, but it's not like a party or a one-off event.   Keith is on record as saying that it's the only think he does well (music) and that he couldn't imagine a life doing anything else.   

Offline HOF

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2021, 10:13:27 AM »
Something interesting to me because I grew up through a lot of it, and which I understand people may not care about, is how ingrained they are with the culture and zeitgeist of the time period.   The Crossfire Hurricane doc goes into this in some detail; the Beatles were the white hats.   The Stones, looking for their niche (and despite being pretty good friends with the Beatles, especially John) sort of defaulted to what Keith called "the grey hats".   But over time, as they moved into the late 60's, early 70's, and the Beatles were not so clearly the white hats anymore, teh Stones sort of started to, as Mick said, live as their characters, not as themselves.   That led to the drugs, Altamont, and was reflected in the music.   Someone said "antiwar, we get it" about Gimme Shelter, and it was so much more than that. 

Then go into '71, '72, and becoming literal exiles to their country (they famously recorded most of Exile in the south of France, until they had to leave because the law was on to them), it became something so much more than the music.   THEN they took that debauchery and hedonism on the road... that Exile tour is one of the most famous in rock and roll history, and documented in "Cocksucker Blues" a documentary so incendiary that the band fought in court to block it's release (it's never been widely released, though it HAS to be shown - by court order - a select number of times each year under strict circumstances, i.e. like at art festivals or in museums).   

People often talk about how the Beatles were "John's band" for the first four years, and "Paul's band" for the last four.  The Stones take that to another level. The band morphed incredibly over the 50 years or so they've been around.  Initially Brian Jones' band, by the mid-to-late 60's, Jagger and Richard had sort of marginalized Jones, and it was really Keith's band up through Exile.  Exile - recorded in his basement in France - was his last real burst of creativity before succumbing to a heroin addiction.  Jagger "led" the Stones through much of the 70's, until Keith kicked his habit in '78 or so.   The 80's albums - Emotional Rescue through Dirty Work - were the band fighting (the last two, Undercover and Dirty Work, the two rarely spoke and didn't tour for DW because of the acrimony). And from Steel Wheels to the present, it's been a consortium.  The interesting thing from the Crossfire Hurricane doc and the Live Licks docs is how involved Charlie is; he picks a lot of the artwork, and was instrumental in designing the stage sets for the tours in the 90's and 00's.

See, I kind of think all of the crazy wild living and legendary rock and roll crap sort of detracts from them in a way. I know that’s a very prog-nerd “the music is all that matters” type of view, and I’m not saying that personal/band upheaval and adversity and all that stuff doesn’t often produce some great art, but some of the stories you hear about those guys are just absurd a little bit sad, really.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2021, 11:14:57 AM »
Generally I agree with you, but I think in this case, it's so closely tied to the music that it's hard to ignore.  The whole premise of Altamont was for the Dead and the Jefferson Airplane to introduce to the Stones the good vibes of Woodstock and what was going on in San Francisco.  Instead, it seemed to go the other way around; Let It Bleed - a dark fucking record - was released, what, a month before, and the Dead actually bailed from the concert before they were supposed to go on (after one of the Airplane, Marty Balin got hit in the head and lost consciousness during the set).   It's almost as if the "evil" won that skirmish.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 01:36:32 PM by Stadler »

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2021, 11:57:36 AM »
Man, I LOVE the Stones (more and more as the years go by).

Sure, Exile, Let it Bleed, and Some Girls are easy highlights for me, but I'll be honest, you can throw on any one of their records, and I'm going to find something to love. Be it Steel Wheels or Bridges to Babylon (Jeez I love the opening track on that one), if it's a Stones record, I'm down.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2021, 01:15:53 PM »
I enjoy the song Doom & Gloom. Weirdly it sounds like The Hives.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2021, 08:31:21 PM »

Stadler, I love rock. And I love History. But when the two collide I'm all over that. So I can totally appreciate where you're coming from here.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2021, 09:32:36 PM »
On their lifestyle, I don't know if anybody's watched Cocksucker Blues. Probably not. It's really a hard watch. It's fairly depressing, the quality is shit, and it's definitely X-rated, so it's not something you just decide to put on. It really paints them in a fascinating light, though. The whole thing was shot with handhelds by people on their '71 US tour. The filmmaker dropped a few of them off at the beginning of the tour and told people to film whatever seemed interesting. There's live footage, and plenty of extracurricular antics. What's fascinating, though, is that they seemed absolutely miserable, for the most part. The roadies and the entourage had a fantastic time, and the Stones seemed basically dead. By that point they'd done all of the drugs, banged all of the groupies, and become as successful as they ever wanted to be. There was simply nothing left for them. It was as if they were only touring for the benefit of the people around them. Even when one of them tosses a TV out the window it seemed of no interest to him. It was more an expectation than something meaningful.

Midway through the film comes a sequence that depicts pretty much the only time they seemed happy. They were driving themselves across the South in a couple of rented station wagons, probably Louisiana or Mississippi, and were able to actually do their own thing. Keith says it's the most boring drive in the world and it's quite wonderful. They're stopping at souvenir shops and ice cream stands. Eating fried chicken. Shooting pool and drinking moonshine with the negroes in the most racist part of the United States. They seemed to enjoy it. It was actually a respite where they're being a part of real life for a change. The the next night they're back on stage going through the motions.

(They were also practically begging to wind up in a Louisiana prison. British dudes, driving around drinking and smoking dope in the spookiest part of redneck hell. Their money could get them out of most trouble, but that could very well have been an exception.)

As for Charlie Watts, I've really grown to like the guy. The famous story is of him was being awakened in the middle of the night by a drunken Mick, shouting at him to get down stairs, he needs his drummer. Charlie got up, showered, shaved, dried his hair, put on one of those perfectly tailored suits of his, and then went downs stairs just to punch Mick out and go back to bed. The man's got style. That style extends to his drumming, as well. I've never been able to notice peculiarities in the way people play the drums until they're pointed out to me. Once they are it clicks and I can recognize it pretty easily. His tendency to never hit the high-hat and the snare at the same time is one of those, and actually sounds pretty cool. He's also one of the few drummers who I can appreciate more for how little they have to work with. He does a ton of different stuff with that little 5 piece kit of his, and it's fun to watch. Also, he plays with a helluva lot of power when it's called for. I always picture him sitting back there dutifully keeping the beat, but occasionally he'll really beat the hell out of his drums.

Monkey Man with Charlie Watts

(This is another fantastic song that stops short of being one of their best because it's too short.)
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline romdrums

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2021, 10:17:29 PM »
As for Charlie Watts, I've really grown to like the guy. The famous story is of him was being awakened in the middle of the night by a drunken Mick, shouting at him to get down stairs, he needs his drummer. Charlie got up, showered, shaved, dried his hair, put on one of those perfectly tailored suits of his, and then went downs stairs just to punch Mick out and go back to bed. The man's got style. That style extends to his drumming, as well. I've never been able to notice peculiarities in the way people play the drums until they're pointed out to me. Once they are it clicks and I can recognize it pretty easily. His tendency to never hit the high-hat and the snare at the same time is one of those, and actually sounds pretty cool. He's also one of the few drummers who I can appreciate more for how little they have to work with. He does a ton of different stuff with that little 5 piece kit of his, and it's fun to watch. Also, he plays with a helluva lot of power when it's called for. I always picture him sitting back there dutifully keeping the beat, but occasionally he'll really beat the hell out of his drums.

Monkey Man with Charlie Watts

(This is another fantastic song that stops short of being one of their best because it's too short.)

The version I heard of that story is that Charlie, after punching Jagger out, said, “I’m not your fucking drummer, you’re my fucking singer!” And then went back to bed.  Fucking baller.  :hat

I’ve grown to appreciate the Stones over the years. My Dad’s brothers and my uncle Carl were all huge fans of theirs.  I know my Dad’s brothers flew out to see them in Hawaii one time back in the 90’s.  My Dad was always more of a Beatles fan, so as brothers sometimes do, if one likes The Beatles, the others had to like the Stones more.  But, both bands are pretty firmly woven into my family’s DNA. 

One particularly cool family moment we had was after my Grandpa died, my uncle, who is a guitar player and was in a cover band at the time, had a gig the night after my Grandpa’s funeral.  We all went to the gig with him, and I got to sit in with his band on drums.  We played a Stones song, I can’t remember which one, but I went full Charlie Watts, playing it simple, laying it down, and not hitting the snare and the hi hat at the same time.  During the solo, my uncle looks back at me and says, “Are you coppin’ Charlie Watts?” I smiled and nodded, and he said, “fuck you, you’re a bad ass!”  It was really cool because most of my Dad’s side of the family was there and it was a really cool moment we all shared.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2021, 02:51:22 AM »
Both Charlie Watts and Neil Peart to me look terrified on stage - really stiff in posture but kind of loose playing.

Not saying Peart or Watts are sloppy but they don't look very relaxed when playing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2021, 11:59:25 AM »
There were snippets of film from Cocksucker's Blues used in the Stones In Exile and Crossfire Hurricane docs (one scene of Mick snorting cocaine off a dagger; coke's not my thing but he made it look kinda cool). 

The thing about Charlie is, he's NOT just 'the drummer'.  In those same docs, they show visits to where Exile was filmed, as well as Stargroves, and it's Mick and Charlie, not Mick and Keith.  Later, in the doc about the Live Licks tour (2003,2004) at the rehearsal for that tour, Charlie was making decisions as to the stage set and the backing films being played, as well as approving the artwork on the shirts.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2021, 06:22:34 PM »