Author Topic: The Wobbler Thread  (Read 1107 times)

Offline The Letter M

The Wobbler Thread
« on: January 09, 2021, 09:46:45 PM »
After reading about this band's latest album, Dwellers Of The Deep, in some year-end-Best-Of-2020 lists, I decided to check them out. This Norwegian prog rock band has the classic 70's prog sound down to a T, complete with vintage instruments and sounds, and feels like Yes and King Crimson had a baby, with some bits of Genesis thrown in as well. They have some modern takes on vintage prog ideas, and it works really well. Their albums typically 4 or 5 songs on average, and only run about as long as a single LP does, so it's VERY 70's, with some tasty side-length epics.

I didn't see any threads here dedicated to them, but I wanted to start one just as I've started my journey in listening to them. They're one of the few bands I've discovered in recent years that is actually sticking with me, especially with no prior knowledge of their music or association to their members, so I'm excited to get to know their music better as I listen to them more!

Anyone else ever heard these guys before? What are your thoughts, your favorite album(s) and song(s)?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

Re: The Wobbler Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 10:46:15 PM »
I’ve listened to a little bit of From Silence to Somewhere one time. I seem to recall the vocals being a bit of off putting but can’t remember too much about it sitting here now. May need to try it again.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 02:56:29 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread Marc! I recently discovered the band too. I was aware of their existence for a few years, I don't know why I never checked them out. But then I saw that beautiful dark green/lilac marble vinyl of their new album in my local record store (yeah I admit it, I'm a sucker for marketing tricks like that haha). I liked Dwellers so much that I had to track down a copy of the predecessor, From Silence To Somewhere. I agree, the vocals need some time to get used to, but I don't think they're off putting. I love that they always release 1 LP albums though. Their albums are never too overloaded or too long.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline DTA

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 03:26:47 AM »
I have From Silence. It’s okay but the vocals and weak production don’t make me excited or interested in returning to it. I appreciate the compositions and would check out their new album if the production has improved.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 01:35:30 PM »
https://www.loudersound.com/news/wobbler-to-have-first-three-albums-reissued

The band's label has recently acquired the rights to their first three albums so now they're re-issuing them on CD and vinyl, as well as a 3-album limited edition vinyl box set. Glad I waited to track down their albums!

https://www.karismarecords.no/product/preorder/

You can preorder them directly from the label now!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 10:07:02 PM »
I don't know much about them, but I checked out some live stuff of theirs on YouTube one time, and it was pretty great.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 12:27:31 AM »
Wow, it's not often that things work out like this for me as a vinyl nerd  :lol I bought Dwellers when it came out and found From Silence on Discogs for around 40 Euros plus shipping, but the other albums were always quite hard to get, so I waited. Very happy to hear that they re-release exactly those albums  :metal
any rock can be made to roll