Author Topic: Bands that should get back together  (Read 4142 times)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: Bands that should get back together
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2021, 08:17:30 AM »
I see Dire Straits mentioned in some posts. I would like that very much, but I fear a reunited Dire Straits would sound exactly like Mark Knopfler solo, so there's really no point imo. Mark Knopfler was Dire Straits and he's still playing DS song live.

DLR can't really sing anymore, but with Vai and Sheehan he could put on a helluva show, that could at least be interesting.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2021, 10:36:35 AM »
I, for one, am not hoping these guys come back for obvious reasons if you read my posts about a certain band, but a good amount of people think these guys should come back and that band is Creed.

I mean people keeps joking (and honestly, the joke is never fun and very mean-spirited in the first place) about Scott Stapp's voice and songs like Higher and With Arms Wide Open and thinks these guys are the worst band in the world at their peak popularity (if your band has Mark Tremonti, Brian Marshall, and Scott Phillips alone, your band is not the worst band in the world by a long shot).  However, at the end of the day, these guys sold a lot of albums, headlined arenas, and have a lot of fans that felt that music means a lot to those fans more than anything else the band members have done in other outlets since Creed's peak (Alter Bridge, Tremonti, Scott Stapp solo, etc.).  Also, Scott Stapp's headspace is in much better shape now than when Creed came back the first time in 2009-2012 and even after his huge meltdown in 2014.  Ergo, people will want to push for the hope that Creed will come back and this time, everything will go well.

Mark Tremonti doesn't see it that way, I think, and is always has that "never say never," mentality when it gets brought up in interviews, but he's always mentioning on how it's just not worth giving up the enjoyment he has doing Alter Bridge or doing his solo project and I, for one selfishly, thank him for that mentality as a Alter Bridge and Tremonti fan.

I'm not a HUGE fan, because I don't care for the style much, but I always thought Creed (and Nickelback) got a bad rap.   Human Clay is a pretty solid record, if you like that sort of "grungish", raspy vocal style.   

Offline Volante99

« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2021, 10:55:22 AM »
I'm torn on most of these.  DLR - can't sing worth shit; same with Dokken.  I mean, I'm down for a 'reunion' of sorts, if people still have the talent to pull it off.  To that end, I have no idea if Gil or Mike are still actively in the music industry.  Skid Row ... maybe.

Surprised no one said Queensryche with DeGarmo (though we know there's precisely 0% chance of that ever happening - same with Skid Row for that matter).

Savatage is the only correct answer I see so far.

At lest DLR still puts on a fun show. I'm willing to overlook a lot as long as the overall show is good. Dokken apart from sounding horrible looks like he'd rather be anywhere else but on stage. If he doesn't look like he cares why should anybody else.

In defense of Don Dokken- he’s had some major health issues. I’d still pay money to see him and Lynch in concert. That said, I saw Dokken in concert with Jon Levin and he can do a better George Lynch impression than Lynch himself at this point.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2021, 11:08:08 AM »

Porcupine Tree - SW solo never hit the same way PT did.

Dire Straits - Would love to see it but would never happen. Sort of like Steven Wilson Mark Knopfler's solo work is good but doesn't match the greatness that is Dire Straits

I actually think some of Mark Knopfler's solo albums are better than his Dire Straits stuff. Sailing To Philadelphia surpasses everything else he's ever done in my opinion.

And concerning PT: I like Steven's solo music at least as much as his PT music. The only reason I'd like PT to reunite is to hear Gavin's out of this world drumming on a Wilson composition again.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2021, 11:17:06 AM »
A Mark Knopfler solo career best of would be better than any DS album you're right.

Although I do think On Every Street is my fave DS album. Maybe not.

The opening 3 songs on On Every Street are all great. However - The Bug is just Walk Of Life again and Heavy Fuel is a Money For Nothing do-over.

Apart from that it's a really great album and PRISTINE production.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2021, 11:57:51 AM »
I, for one, am not hoping these guys come back for obvious reasons if you read my posts about a certain band, but a good amount of people think these guys should come back and that band is Creed.

I mean people keeps joking (and honestly, the joke is never fun and very mean-spirited in the first place) about Scott Stapp's voice and songs like Higher and With Arms Wide Open and thinks these guys are the worst band in the world at their peak popularity (if your band has Mark Tremonti, Brian Marshall, and Scott Phillips alone, your band is not the worst band in the world by a long shot).  However, at the end of the day, these guys sold a lot of albums, headlined arenas, and have a lot of fans that felt that music means a lot to those fans more than anything else the band members have done in other outlets since Creed's peak (Alter Bridge, Tremonti, Scott Stapp solo, etc.).  Also, Scott Stapp's headspace is in much better shape now than when Creed came back the first time in 2009-2012 and even after his huge meltdown in 2014.  Ergo, people will want to push for the hope that Creed will come back and this time, everything will go well.

Mark Tremonti doesn't see it that way, I think, and is always has that "never say never," mentality when it gets brought up in interviews, but he's always mentioning on how it's just not worth giving up the enjoyment he has doing Alter Bridge or doing his solo project and I, for one selfishly, thank him for that mentality as a Alter Bridge and Tremonti fan.

I'm not a HUGE fan, because I don't care for the style much, but I always thought Creed (and Nickelback) got a bad rap.   Human Clay is a pretty solid record, if you like that sort of "grungish", raspy vocal style.   

I missed this post initially but i agree. I think the first Creed albums were fantastic. I listened to full circle a few months ago and it was ok but id like to have them take another go at it.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2021, 12:00:27 PM »
Love Over Gold is somewhere in my Top 5 albums of all time, but if we're talking overall discographies, I'll take Knopfler's solo over the Dire Straits one.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2021, 12:00:49 PM »

I missed this post initially but i agree. I think the first Creed albums were fantastic. I listened to full circle a few months ago and it was ok but id like to have them take another go at it.

Apparently the demand for a Creed reunion is there and I'm sure the $$ factor is an inevitable lure for everyone involved.

I thought their 2009 reunion album Full Circle was really good. It captured the feel of the early albums. But on the whole, I'd prefer that they stay the course with Alter Bridge. 

It's always been interesting to me that AB never attained the heights of mass popularity that Creed did, even though AB is essentially the same band, albeit with the better (arguably) singer. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2021, 12:03:48 PM »
I love The Edge and Mark Knopfler - but playing guitar to any DS or U2 song is really boring.

They don't really do "chords" as such.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2021, 12:07:08 PM »

King Diamond + Mikkey Dee- let’s face it KD hasn’t really been quite as good since Mikkey Dee left the band. I have zero interest in the Scorpions in 2021 and would much rather see  Mikkey finally use his talents to the fullest extent once more and bring some of that old school proggy metal goodness to the KD band. Along with Mike Portnoy, Mikkey Dee is probably the best hard rock drummer alive and his talents have, frankly, been wasted with Motörhead and Scorpions for almost 30 years now.

I love Matt Thompson though.

Yeah, he seems to cop a bad wrap, he's a class drummer.

I mean, he definitely plays Mikkey Dees parts faithfully and competently. I’ll give him that  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2021, 01:59:12 PM »

Apparently the demand for a Creed reunion is there and I'm sure the $$ factor is an inevitable lure for everyone involved.

I thought their 2009 reunion album Full Circle was really good. It captured the feel of the early albums. But on the whole, I'd prefer that they stay the course with Alter Bridge. 

It's always been interesting to me that AB never attained the heights of mass popularity that Creed did, even though AB is essentially the same band, albeit with the better (arguably) singer.

Different time?  That was the age of the post-grudge, sludge-y hard rock.   AB still leans that way (I've written about this before; I much prefer Myles' work with Slash; it's got a more sparse, more organic classic rock feel).  And as much as I love Myles (and I do) he's doesn't use that clean, tenor voice much; he's a rock singer, and that's not for everyone.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2021, 03:39:13 PM »

I would think that if Alter Bridge existed back in the mid-to-late 90s in their current state, they would have much bigger commercial success and could have been seen as a great successor to bands like Soundgarden and Alice in Chains.  However, they existed in a period post-Napster and streaming platforms and in an era where not a lot of people want to buy albums in large bulks anymore so they are where they are right now, which is honestly as high as they can go in today's rock environment.  I'm honestly all right with that.  I don't think I'm willing to fly out to multiple shows in different cities like I did last year if they were charging ticket prices like bands like Slipknot or A7X.  The wallet can only endure so much.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 03:46:39 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2021, 07:29:30 PM »
Apes & Androids
Jellyfish: likely will never happen; The Lickerish Quartet is closest thing to it, or maybe if Jason Falkner could be talked into working with Roger again..but Andy Sturmer is a pipe dream at this point
dredg
Oceansize
Fair to Midland
Silverchair + The Dissociatives
Mutemath
Kaddisfly
Kiss Kiss + Vuvuzela
Menomena
The Mars Volta

and a lot of other names included here:
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/SoundscapeMN/college_prog_umbrella/

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2021, 08:46:14 AM »
I can't tell what the relationship is between Roger and Andy.  I don't get the sense that they dislike or hate each other, but it seems sort of a Kevin Moore vibe.  He just sort of aggressively, actively, wants other things that don't involve a band relationship.  I sort of get that.  There are people I used to be close with, used to work with, and while I once in a blue moon wonder what they're up to, I don't have enough to actually reach out and connect.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2021, 09:03:15 AM »
I follow the Kevin Moore analogy, although I've never been fully clear if Andy is just happier not being a rock star and would rather just work behind the scenes and pay his bills, or if there still is some kind of unwavering tension between him and Roger Manning that he or both won't let go of.

In a lot of interviews with Roger, it doesn't sound like he would have issues working with Andy again, but that may just be easier said than done.

There's a pretty good, thorough video about their history that goes into some of it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJSRr72vWrk

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2021, 12:06:08 PM »
I'm on board with Anathema, Mutemath, Sigur Ros and Neal Morse in Spock's Beard.

I would love for Kiev to release a new album. I don't know whether they disbanded or what happened to them, but their debut was fantastic. The Moon Safari camp has also been very quiet. They had broken up, then got back together to do some shows and then went back to radio silence. They have confirmed their participation in some shows for 2021/22 but that's about it.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2021, 12:44:17 PM »
Man, such a good call on Silverchair. What the hell happened there.

I know Daniel put out a trip-hop ep a while back, but otherwise, it's been crickets for a decade (I dug Young Modern a lot).

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2021, 03:55:12 PM »

agreed,,, CREED    and I enjoyed Full Circle a lot   and I dont like AB
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2021, 04:17:59 PM »

I know Daniel put out a trip-hop ep a while back, but otherwise, it's been crickets for a decade (I dug Young Modern a lot).

I think Daniel has had his issues.  He's a strange fella it seems but I'd love to see the trio reunite.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2021, 07:21:11 PM »

A couple of years ago Daniel Johns had that collaboration with a guy from the band Empire of the Sun that was sort of electronic-pop or Trip-hop? but it was pretty forgettable, as was his solo album in 2015 "Talk."

There was some rumblings from Paul Mac about a new song from The Dissociatives a few years back, but nothing ever came of it. Otherwise, it's a shame about Silverchair as I really love Young Modern. No idea what the other guys have been up to since.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2021, 07:44:20 PM »
The progression of Silverchair was amazing. I wish they stayed together. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2021, 07:45:24 PM »
I saw Silverchair. I just remember they were very young at the time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2021, 07:54:17 PM »
Diorama's a nice record, but I wasn't too fussed on Young Modern. Wouldn't mind a comeback tho.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2021, 07:55:33 PM »

Who did they open fotmr Tim?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2021, 07:55:45 PM »
At the time, Frogstomp and Freak Show were massive albums for me.  They were a phenomenon back then over here and it was amazing to see the progression.  I didn't really follow their later stuff, it wasn't my thing but they were very influential to me as a kid.  I still respected the he'll out of them when the later stuff dropped, there was still really good songwriting going on.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2021, 07:56:17 PM »

Jesus, is there a band you haven't seen?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2021, 07:59:26 PM »

Hah! Plenty.

I really saw them by accident. I went to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers in 1996. It was a strange time in my life. ;D I bought One Hot Minute and loved it. It's still cool, actually.
Anyway, Silverchair was the opening band. I don't remember anything about their music except that they looked like kids.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2021, 08:01:14 PM »

Hah! Plenty.

I really saw them by accident. I went to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers in 1996. It was a strange time in my life. ;D I bought One Hot Minute and loved it. It's still cool, actually.
Anyway, Silverchair was the opening band. I don't remember anything about their music except that they looked like kids.

I think they were only about 16 or so when their first album came out, which would have been around that time.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2021, 08:11:33 PM »

Hah! Plenty.

Haha, they were kids dude.  They rocked hard for 16 year olds!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2021, 08:12:25 PM »

Hah! Plenty.

I think they were only about 16 or so when their first album came out, which would have been around that time.

Yep.  Frogstomp was 95.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2021, 08:15:25 PM »
Is it any good? Should I check it out?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2021, 08:19:29 PM »
Is it any good? Should I check it out?

You know, I haven't listened to it for probably more than 20 years, same with Freak Show.

It's grunge, but for three 15 year old kids, it's an unreal effort, there's some great tunes on there.  I think Shade and Pure Massacre were my faves.  Madman ripped too from memory.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2021, 08:21:25 PM »
Alright. I'm on it!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2021, 08:28:53 PM »
Alright. I'm on it!

Don't blame me if you've wasted 40 minutes of your life.   
:lol

Report your thoughts mate, keen on what you think.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2021, 08:32:46 PM »
Frogstomp may be up Tim's alley. After, not so much.