Author Topic: Bands that should get back together  (Read 4143 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Bands that should get back together
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2021, 04:08:53 PM »
REM.

Oasis - but it's

Noel Gallagher - Guitar and Vocals
Gem Archer - Guitar
Chris Sharrock on drums
Russel Pritchard (HFB ) On Bass
Mikey Rowe on Keys.

R.E.M.for sure!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Volante99

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2021, 05:29:32 PM »
Another:

Skid Row/Ratt/Dokken- get all the OG guys back- none of this “Bobby Blotzer Experience” shit. Seriously, all these bands are getting long in the tooth and maybe have 5-8 years left before they expire and turn to cottage cheese- they should do just one more tour and celebrate the glam metal days; believe it or not they still draw crowds in the Midwest and with all of them together they could probably support a small/mid sized arena tour in the right markets.

I mean it’s not like they have anything better to do.

Don Dokjen cannot sing anymore live.

Yeah but when is the last time someone went to a Dokken concert to hear really good vocals? He can fake his way through it between George Lynch melting everyone’s face off.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2021, 05:33:27 PM »
Lost Horizon

Great call this one.

Oh hell yes!

Saw them at a festival in 2003, they were amazing Daniel hit ALL the high notes.
When they came out for the encore with a cover of Crimson Glory's 'Red Sharks' my jaw hit the floor.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2021, 05:52:46 PM »

King Diamond + Mikkey Dee- let’s face it KD hasn’t really been quite as good since Mikkey Dee left the band. I have zero interest in the Scorpions in 2021 and would much rather see  Mikkey finally use his talents to the fullest extent once more and bring some of that old school proggy metal goodness to the KD band. Along with Mike Portnoy, Mikkey Dee is probably the best hard rock drummer alive and his talents have, frankly, been wasted with Motörhead and Scorpions for almost 30 years now.

I love Matt Thompson though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline krands85

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2021, 06:10:04 PM »
Along with some others already mentioned, ones that came to mind for me were Reuben and Isis - though they'd probably have to go by a new name  :facepalm:
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline pg1067

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2021, 06:28:44 PM »
The Styx '99 version that almost happened, but didn't: DeYoung, Shaw, Young, Burtnick, Sucherman. That would have been, to me, the definitive version of the band. All the classic voices, plus Burtnick from the Edge days, and the monster Sucherman on drums. I would die happy seeing this band live.

I don't really have any opinion about Burtnick, but I would pay good money to see a DDY, Shaw, Young reunion with pretty anyone they want on bass (and Chuck P. for a few songs) and Sucherman on drums.  They all seem still able to sing, but I think Tommy and James pretty well foreclosed this possibility on their Dan Rather interview.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2021, 06:36:53 PM »
Another:

Skid Row/Ratt/Dokken- get all the OG guys back- none of this “Bobby Blotzer Experience” shit. Seriously, all these bands are getting long in the tooth and maybe have 5-8 years left before they expire and turn to cottage cheese- they should do just one more tour and celebrate the glam metal days; believe it or not they still draw crowds in the Midwest and with all of them together they could probably support a small/mid sized arena tour in the right markets.

I mean it’s not like they have anything better to do.

Don Dokjen cannot sing anymore live.

Yeah but when is the last time someone went to a Dokken concert to hear really good vocals? He can fake his way through it between George Lynch melting everyone’s face off.

It's really bad though.  I was shocked how bad.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2021, 07:28:57 PM »
I'm torn on most of these.  DLR - can't sing worth shit; same with Dokken.  I mean, I'm down for a 'reunion' of sorts, if people still have the talent to pull it off.  To that end, I have no idea if Gil or Mike are still actively in the music industry.  Skid Row ... maybe.

Surprised no one said Queensryche with DeGarmo (though we know there's precisely 0% chance of that ever happening - same with Skid Row for that matter).

Savatage is the only correct answer I see so far.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline frogprog

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2021, 07:42:27 PM »
Faith No More with Jim Martin

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2021, 08:08:09 PM »
Obscure, but The Panic Channel.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2021, 08:32:50 PM »

The one album is stellar. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2021, 08:35:53 PM »
The Styx '99 version that almost happened, but didn't: DeYoung, Shaw, Young, Burtnick, Sucherman. That would have been, to me, the definitive version of the band. All the classic voices, plus Burtnick from the Edge days, and the monster Sucherman on drums. I would die happy seeing this band live.

I don't really have any opinion about Burtnick, but I would pay good money to see a DDY, Shaw, Young reunion with pretty anyone they want on bass (and Chuck P. for a few songs) and Sucherman on drums.  They all seem still able to sing, but I think Tommy and James pretty well foreclosed this possibility on their Dan Rather interview.

Well, the classic lineup of DDY, Tommy, JY and the Panozzo brothers can never be topped as the definitive version of Styx.  That was the lineup during their peak and the one for which they will always be remembered.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2021, 08:45:36 PM »
I got to see in 2000 the lineup of

Shaw, Young, Burtnick, Sucherman, Gowan. 

I know Kev isn't a fan of Gowan but it was a fantastic show. REO Speedwagon and Survivor opened.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2021, 08:46:47 PM »
I saw Styx in 93 (I think) and in 96. Saw DDY at Epcot! :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2021, 08:50:46 PM »

I know Kev isn't a fan of Gowan but it was a fantastic show. REO Speedwagon and Survivor opened.

You can almost smell the cheese in the air!!  :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2021, 08:54:02 PM »
Your loss. I love cheese! :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2021, 08:54:56 PM »
Hey now, I love some cheese as well.  Remember that I am an Ayreon fan! :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2021, 09:04:52 PM »
Suuuuuurreee.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2021, 09:06:33 PM »
Don't make me post my 80's playlist I have on my phone (which is littered with more cheese than an extra large pizza :P)...lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2021, 09:06:46 PM »

I LOVE that album. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2021, 09:16:00 PM »
Don't make me post my 80's playlist I have on my phone (which is littered with more cheese than an extra large pizza :P)...lol

You better send it to me!

I LOVE that album. 

As do I.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2021, 09:18:26 PM »

I saw them around this time as well. With Bad Company and Billy Squire. Great show. My first real rock concert.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2021, 09:31:30 PM »
Kino. It took them 13 years to make a second album, and while Radio Voltaire only came out 3 years ago, I still would like to see them make a third album, but I'm sure both John Mitchell and Pete Trewavas are pretty busy with their own stuff to find time to work on another album together.

The Fringe. This trio of Nick D'Virgilio, Jonas Reingold, and Randy McStine was a powerhouse, and I think a second album after their 2016 debut would be great, but like Kino, I assume all three members are busy with their own projects, especially now that McStine Minnemann has been around and released two albums within 7 months.

Star One. This one might actually happen now that Arjen has hinted at working on new material for a third Star One album, but it's still unclear if he will get back all four of original vocalists he worked with on the first two albums, but we can only hope.

Spock's Beard. Not that they've announced a hiatus or anything, but things have been VERY quiet since their last album/tour cycle, and none of the band members have said much about reconvening for a new album. Ryo has been busy with his own project in Japan, and Dave/Ted have been busy with Pattern-Seeking Animals and working on their third album. That just leaves Al, who probably holds the wheel to the ship that is Spock's Beard, and I think if he doesn't feel like bringing the band back together, they may not, especially with half of the band working in PSA now. If their 2018 album, Noise Floor, was to be their final album, I think I'd be okay with it (because I really did enjoy it), but if they're throwing in the towel, I'd rather know sooner than later.

I'm sure there are a few more I could think of, but those are the only ones I could come up with off the top of my head.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2021, 10:14:05 PM »
Agalloch is the band that made me the most sad when they broke up. The John Haughm situation complicates my feelings towards wanting a reunion through, naturally. I'm also not sure any new material from them would be all that good even if they did re-unite. Their last album was well below their usual standards and from what I've sampled of their projects since then those didn't seem all that interesting either.

not much into Don Anderson's prog metal project Sculptured?

Offline HOF

« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2021, 10:42:32 PM »
The Fringe. This trio of Nick D'Virgilio, Jonas Reingold, and Randy McStine was a powerhouse, and I think a second album after their 2016 debut would be great, but like Kino, I assume all three members are busy with their own projects, especially now that McStine Minnemann has been around and released two albums within 7 months.

-Marc.

Ooh, The Fringe are a good one. I feel like Nick mentioned recently they’d like to do something again but just need to find the time.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2021, 11:43:02 PM »
I, for one, am not hoping these guys come back for obvious reasons if you read my posts about a certain band, but a good amount of people think these guys should come back and that band is Creed.

I mean people keeps joking (and honestly, the joke is never fun and very mean-spirited in the first place) about Scott Stapp's voice and songs like Higher and With Arms Wide Open and thinks these guys are the worst band in the world at their peak popularity (if your band has Mark Tremonti, Brian Marshall, and Scott Phillips alone, your band is not the worst band in the world by a long shot).  However, at the end of the day, these guys sold a lot of albums, headlined arenas, and have a lot of fans that felt that music means a lot to those fans more than anything else the band members have done in other outlets since Creed's peak (Alter Bridge, Tremonti, Scott Stapp solo, etc.).  Also, Scott Stapp's headspace is in much better shape now than when Creed came back the first time in 2009-2012 and even after his huge meltdown in 2014.  Ergo, people will want to push for the hope that Creed will come back and this time, everything will go well.

Mark Tremonti doesn't see it that way, I think, and is always has that "never say never," mentality when it gets brought up in interviews, but he's always mentioning on how it's just not worth giving up the enjoyment he has doing Alter Bridge or doing his solo project and I, for one selfishly, thank him for that mentality as a Alter Bridge and Tremonti fan.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2021, 03:05:00 AM »

-Marc.

Ooh, The Fringe are a good one. I feel like Nick mentioned recently they’d like to do something again but just need to find the time.

Well, Randy is now part of Big Big Train's live line up, maybe that will give these two a chance to do some writing?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2021, 03:20:18 AM »

King Diamond + Mikkey Dee- let’s face it KD hasn’t really been quite as good since Mikkey Dee left the band. I have zero interest in the Scorpions in 2021 and would much rather see  Mikkey finally use his talents to the fullest extent once more and bring some of that old school proggy metal goodness to the KD band. Along with Mike Portnoy, Mikkey Dee is probably the best hard rock drummer alive and his talents have, frankly, been wasted with Motörhead and Scorpions for almost 30 years now.

I love Matt Thompson though.

Yeah, he seems to cop a bad wrap, he's a class drummer.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2021, 05:32:12 AM »
Anathema
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2021, 05:45:07 AM »
REM.

Oasis - but it's

Noel Gallagher - Guitar and Vocals
Gem Archer - Guitar
Chris Sharrock on drums
Russel Pritchard (HFB ) On Bass
Mikey Rowe on Keys.

R.E.M.for sure!

We need to talk about R.E.M.  :heart

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2021, 05:50:58 AM »
Star One. This one might actually happen now that Arjen has hinted at working on new material for a third Star One album, but it's still unclear if he will get back all four of original vocalists he worked with on the first two albums, but we can only hope.

Good call  :tup
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2021, 07:29:44 AM »
Dredg (supposedly they are working on new material, but I'll believe it when I see it)

Porcupine tree
RX Bandits
Rage against the machine

Led Zeppelin (not now, but a full 2007 tour would have been sweet)

Drew from Dredg actually posted a video on his instagram with new material playing. They've been together writing and recording but I know Dino had to have surgery and then covid probably slowed them down.

A lot of good ones already mentioned.

Fair To Midland - I think I want a new Dredg album more than anything else but this is a close second. Arrows & Anchors was such an amazing follow up to Fables.

Porcupine Tree - SW solo never hit the same way PT did.

Dire Straits - Would love to see it but would never happen. Sort of like Steven Wilson Mark Knopfler's solo work is good but doesn't match the greatness that is Dire Straits

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2021, 07:39:27 AM »
I'm torn on most of these.  DLR - can't sing worth shit; same with Dokken.  I mean, I'm down for a 'reunion' of sorts, if people still have the talent to pull it off.  To that end, I have no idea if Gil or Mike are still actively in the music industry.  Skid Row ... maybe.

Surprised no one said Queensryche with DeGarmo (though we know there's precisely 0% chance of that ever happening - same with Skid Row for that matter).

Savatage is the only correct answer I see so far.

At lest DLR still puts on a fun show. I'm willing to overlook a lot as long as the overall show is good. Dokken apart from sounding horrible looks like he'd rather be anywhere else but on stage. If he doesn't look like he cares why should anybody else.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2021, 08:02:22 AM »
Lost Horizon

Great call this one.

Oh hell yes!

Saw them at a festival in 2003, they were amazing Daniel hit ALL the high notes.
When they came out for the encore with a cover of Crimson Glory's 'Red Sharks' my jaw hit the floor.
Awesome, never saw them live. I wish I did. I know that Daniel still has his pipes left though from recent projects i've heard. My guess is they didn't have the best chemistry together. Why else abandon a project with two amazing albums under their belts.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls