Poll

What are your favorite Flying Colors songs? (VOTE FOR UP TO 7)

Blue Ocean
Shoulda Coulda Woulda
Kayla
The Storm
Forever in a Daze
Love Is What I'm Waiting For
Everything Changes
Better Than Walking Away
All Falls Down
Fool in My Heart
Infinite Fire
Open Up Your Eyes
Mask Machine
Bombs Away
The Fury of My Love
A Place in Your World
Lost Without You
One Love Forever
Peaceful Harbor
Cosmic Symphony
The Loss Inside
More
Cadence
Guardian
Last Train Home
Geronimo
You Are Not Alone
Love Letter
Crawl
Waiting for the Sun

Voting closes: October 19, 2026, 09:58:08 PM

Author Topic: What are your favorite Flying Colors songs?  (Read 1259 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
What are your favorite Flying Colors songs?
« on: January 06, 2021, 08:58:08 PM »
You can vote for up to 7.

I am big fan of all three albums, with the debut narrowly edging out Third Degree as my favorite.  It was tough to pick only one song from Second Nature, but ultimately I went with these:

Blue Ocean
Better Than Walking Away
Infinite Fire
The Fury of My Love
Guardian
Geronimo
Love Letter

Online HOF

Re: What are your favorite Flying Colors songs?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 09:26:03 PM »
I went with:

Blue Ocean
Kayla
The Storm
A Place In Your World (my favorite FC song)
Lost Without You
Peaceful Harbor
Cosmic Symphony

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 11:14:52 PM »
Blue Ocean
Kayla
Infinite Fire
Peaceful Harbor
Cosmic Symphony
Last Train Home
Crawl

Yep, most of my picks are their longest songs (except OUYE), but they really are some of my favorites. The third album has really grown on me since its release, and as a whole, I think I like it a bit more than Second Nature at this point, but that one has a killer back half.

I'm hoping we see a fourth album in 2022, but it'll more likely be 2023 or 2024 before we see another album from them.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 04:16:16 AM »
Blue Ocean (probably their best one)
The Storm
Forever in a Daze
Infinite Fire
Peaceful Harbor
Cosmic Symphony
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 07:02:30 AM »
Kayla
The Storm
Everything Changes
Better Than Walking Away (still makes me cry, and at any given time is my favorite FC song)
A Place In Your World
Cosmic Symphony or One Love Forever
Love Letter

I'm not sure about Cosmic Symphony.  I may have to go back and listen to the second one to amend that.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 02:27:25 PM by Stadler »

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 10:16:15 AM »
Blue Ocean
Shoulda Woulda Coulda
The Storm
Forever In A Daze
Infinite Fire

That first album was such a fantastic release - really every song is great. The second and third albums just haven't lived up to that first one for me. Although I meant to pick Mask Machine as well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 06:51:51 PM »
Wow, not a lot of votes for the songs from the third album.  I expected the songs from the first to get the most, but I thought the third would do a little better.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 06:59:47 PM »
How Kayla isn't #1 is mindboggling.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 07:03:59 PM »

That wouldn't even make my top 5 from the debut. :lol

Blue Ocean, Better Than Walking Away and Infinite Fire are my top 3, with The Storm a close 4th.  I prefer Forever in a Daze, Everything Changes and Love Is What I'm Waiting For to Kayla as well.  But really, aside from Shoulda Coulda Woulda, everything on the debut is a keeper.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2021, 07:04:40 PM »
You are a sad, sad man.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2021, 07:08:52 PM »
That might still be true :P, but I stand by my order.

What were your other picks here, Joe?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2021, 08:03:04 PM »
I'm lazy. Lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2021, 07:16:03 AM »

Blue Ocean, Better Than Walking Away and Infinite Fire are my top 3, with The Storm a close 4th.  I prefer Forever in a Daze, Everything Changes and Love Is What I'm Waiting For to Kayla as well.  But really, aside from Shoulda Coulda Woulda, everything on the debut is a keeper.

Blue Ocean and Infinite Fire wouldn't (both) make my top 5.  I'm convinced there's a significant number of people that like them just because they are long*.   Tastes.  I'm with King; I first heard Kayla and it blew me away. Still does.   It was a treat to (finally) see it live.   

Better Than Walking Away (Kayla is the better song, but this has so much personal meaning for me)
Kayla
The Storm
Everything Changes
Blue Ocean

* When MP first released the song titles and times back on MP.com, there were numerous posts about how "great" Blue Ocean and Infinite Fire - as yet unheard! - were going to be, based only on the time stamp.   

Offline Mladen

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2021, 07:20:25 AM »
Kayla
Forever in a Daze
Infinite Fire
Bombs Away
The Fury of My Love
Cosmic Symphony

I didn't pick a single song from the third album. What can I say, it didn't click for some reason.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2021, 08:15:24 AM »
I didn't pick a single song from the third album. What can I say, it didn't click for some reason.

Neither did I. I can't even remember how the tracks go, to be honest. Except Love Letter. That one's easily the best on there if you ask me.

Their debut is my favourite, hence me picking 5 from that one.

Sorry for not picking Kayla. You could remove Infinite Fire from mine and add in Kayla if that makes you feel better!

* When MP first released the song titles and times back on MP.com, there were numerous posts about how "great" Blue Ocean and Infinite Fire - as yet unheard! - were going to be, based only on the time stamp.   

This is so stupid :lol

But yeah, I have three long songs on my list.. I never even really considered Blue Ocean an 'epic' or long song at 7 minutes. And I think Open Up Your Eyes is a mess, like the longer songs on the last album. This band does short songs better than they do prog stuff.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online HOF

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2021, 08:52:20 AM »

Blue Ocean and Infinite Fire wouldn't (both) make my top 5.  I'm convinced there's a significant number of people that like them just because they are long*.   Tastes.  I'm with King; I first heard Kayla and it blew me away. Still does.   It was a treat to (finally) see it live.   

Better Than Walking Away (Kayla is the better song, but this has so much personal meaning for me)
Kayla
The Storm
Everything Changes
Blue Ocean

I do believe that the sentiment that “long = good” does exist to some extent in prog circles, but I also think Infinite Fire is a good track regardless of the length. It’s not my favorite from that album, but I have always enjoyed it and think it’s one of the better prog things Neal has done since he left Spock’s Beard. At the same time, I don’t like Open Up Your Eyes much at all, so it’s definitely not a case of length = good for me.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2021, 09:43:28 AM »
Kayla
The Storm
Forever in a Daze
Peaceful Harbor
Cosmic Symphony
Love Letter
Crawl

All except Love Letter I locked in immediately. Love is What I'm Waiting For, Bombs Away, and Fury of my Love were all right there with Love Letter for the last spot.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2021, 01:41:09 PM »

Kayla
The Storm
Everything Changes
Blue Ocean

I do believe that the sentiment that “long = good” does exist to some extent in prog circles, but I also think Infinite Fire is a good track regardless of the length. It’s not my favorite from that album, but I have always enjoyed it and think it’s one of the better prog things Neal has done since he left Spock’s Beard. At the same time, I don’t like Open Up Your Eyes much at all, so it’s definitely not a case of length = good for me.

Me too; it was really funny to me because at that point, no one had even HEARD the songs.  Infinite Fire could have been Revolution 9 for all anyone knew.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 02:00:00 PM by Stadler »

Offline JLa

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2021, 01:56:11 PM »
I really enjoy the first one. Blue Ocean is stellar. The 2nd and 3rd album didn't quite live up to the first one.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2021, 02:21:06 PM »
First album was great, but I never listen to the other two. 

Kayla
Mask Machine
Cosmic Symphony

Offline DTA

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2021, 02:53:10 PM »
Everything Changes
Better Than Walking Away
Fool In My Heart
Infinite Fire
A Place In Your World
Peaceful Harbor
Cosmic Symphony

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2021, 03:17:47 PM »
I'm lazy. Lol...

:lol :lol

:tup :tup

But yeah, I have three long songs on my list.. I never even really considered Blue Ocean an 'epic' or long song at 7 minutes. And I think Open Up Your Eyes is a mess, like the longer songs on the last album. This band does short songs better than they do prog stuff.

Agreed.  The magic with this band is in the short songs.  And they do the longer proggy stuff well, as Infinite Fire is in my Flying Colors top 3, and The Last Train Home is becoming more and more of a favorite as more times passes, but their hits out of the park really come mostly in the shorter, more compact songs, if you ask me. 

Looking at Second Nature, I like both Open Up Your Eyes and Cosmic Symphony a lot, but the former is a beautiful mess (great vocal melodies and musical parts all over the place, but the structure of the song is so random and messy), while the latter is like their Moody Blues Question (three individual songs all slapped together to make one song).

it was really funny to me because at that point, no one had even HEARD the songs. Infinite Fire could have been Revolution 9 for all anyone knew.

How gross would that have been? :P :lol

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2021, 09:57:51 PM »
My choices are...

Blue Ocean
The Storm
All Falls Down
Mask Machine
A Place In Your World
Peaceful Harbor
Geronimo

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2021, 10:04:25 PM »
Good to see some votes finally for Mask Machine, which I feel is one of the highlights on Second Nature.  It was one that just missed making my top 7.

Ultimately, with 30 songs in the bank, I am a fan to varying degrees of 28 of them, with Shoulda Coulda Woulda and The Loss Inside being the only two I can do without, so that is pretty good percentage.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2021, 02:59:21 AM »
Shoulda
Infinite Fire
Lost Without You
Peaceful Heabour
Cosmic Symphony
Crawl

And I accidentally left out The Storm, damn.
I absolutely love Lost Without You, shame that it's never being talked about.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2021, 07:52:24 AM »
Shoulda
Infinite Fire
Lost Without You
Peaceful Heabour
Cosmic Symphony
Crawl

Every time I listen to that one, I always think, "Why don't I listen to this more?"  Some songs are just like that.  I think it probably gets lost in the shuffle for many behind the longer songs from the record and the more immediate ones like Mask Machine and A Place in Your World.  Wasn't it the only song from Second Degree not played by the band live as well? That may not have helped its cause.

Online HOF

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2021, 12:35:16 PM »
Shoulda
Infinite Fire
Lost Without You
Peaceful Heabour
Cosmic Symphony
Crawl

Every time I listen to that one, I always think, "Why don't I listen to this more?"  Some songs are just like that.  I think it probably gets lost in the shuffle for many behind the longer songs from the record and the more immediate ones like Mask Machine and A Place in Your World.  Wasn't it the only song from Second Degree not played by the band live as well? That may not have helped its cause.

Lost Without You got a vote from me too. It’s a fun song.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2021, 02:00:25 PM »
Shoulda
Infinite Fire
Lost Without You
Peaceful Heabour
Cosmic Symphony
Crawl

The whole second album is like that.  I LOVE the first one and rarely just put on the second, but when I was listening to it the other day to pick my songs, I was like "this RULES".  And I've had that feeling before.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2021, 02:13:26 PM »
It's a pretty consistent listen.  I don't think it has as many super high highs as the debut or Third Degree, but it doesn't have any skippers for me either like The Loss Inside or Shoulda Coulda Woulda. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2021, 06:17:05 PM »
Wow, not a lot of votes for the songs from the third album.  I expected the songs from the first to get the most, but I thought the third would do a little better.

Started with #3 and worked back. Peaceful Harbor and Cosmic Symphony were the only ones NOT on the 3rd album.

I've also found I've been fixated on Live In London more than the other two live albums (and studio albums) to the point where I'm mostly limited my listening to Third Degree CD (Portnoy DVD) and Live In London and Morsefest. Such an incredible amount of growth on that third one. I've just totally and completely fallen in love with it. It's like the restraints were taken off or something. Difficult to explain really.  And I REALLY like the first album and about a third to half of the second.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2021, 08:31:47 PM »

I've also found I've been fixated on Live In London more than the other two live albums (and studio albums) to the point where I'm mostly limited my listening to Third Degree CD (Portnoy DVD) and Live In London and Morsefest. Such an incredible amount of growth on that third one. I've just totally and completely fallen in love with it. It's like the restraints were taken off or something. Difficult to explain really.  And I REALLY like the first album and about a third to half of the second.

I finally bought the London DVD (with the Morsefest bonus footage) last week.  I hesitated at first since I wasn't wowed by the promotional ones, but I figured, what the hell, I didn't get the ones from the first two tours, and I love this band, so I had better get this one when I can since it seems like more and more releases are hard to find for a cheap price sooner rather than later.  I plan to watch it soon.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2021, 06:02:02 PM »

I finally bought the London DVD (with the Morsefest bonus footage) last week.  I hesitated at first since I wasn't wowed by the promotional ones, but I figured, what the hell, I didn't get the ones from the first two tours, and I love this band, so I had better get this one when I can since it seems like more and more releases are hard to find for a cheap price sooner rather than later.  I plan to watch it soon.

It's been a regular monthly watch (at least the Morsefest footage) for me.

If you only get one Flying Colors live album. this is the one. (So far.)

Offline darkshade

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2021, 12:13:20 PM »
I've only heard the first two and haven't listened to the 2nd album enough to vote here, so I'm just going to vote for the two songs I like from the first album:

Blue Ocean
Infinite Fire

Not into much else from the first album, I need to revisit the 2nd album soon, I liked that one better than the first, and get around to the third one.