Author Topic: Top 20 Albums That Shaped My Taste In Music  (Read 2640 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Top 20 Albums That Shaped My Taste In Music
« on: January 04, 2021, 01:38:49 PM »
At one point or another each of these groups were my favorite band.  These are still my favorites today and while I do explore new music all the time, it's very rare that I find a group that qualifies to be added to this list.  Starting in 1976 at the ripe old age of 12 I got my first record player for my bedroom and my parents also gave me the first three albums on this list for Christmas that year. 

If I am fortunate enough to have some of you buy my group's next album, or if you've heard our debut you can probably pick up on the influences of these groups in the music I write, especially Iron Maiden (guitars) Dream Theater (song structure) and Spock's Beard (vocal melodies).  Anyway, here's the list - these are the albums that shaped my taste in music.

1976 - Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
1976 - Rush - 2112
1976 - Kansas - Leftoverture
1977 - Foreigner - s/t
1977 - Styx - The Grand Illusion
1981 - Triumph - Allied Forces
1982 - Iron Maiden - Number of The Beast
1983 - Saxon - Power and the Glory
1987 - Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King
1988 - Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
1992 - Dream Theater - Images & Words
2000 - Spock's Beard - V
2000 - Transatlantic - SMTPe (tie with Spock's Beard)
2000 - The Flower Kings -Space Revolver 
2000 - Symphony X - V: The New Mythology Suite
2001 - Avantasia - The Metal Opera
2005 - Redemption - The Fullness of Time
2005 - Opeth - Ghost Reveries
2012 - Hourglass - The Journey Into
2013 - Kamelot - The Black Halo

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Top 20 Albums That Shaped My Taste In Music
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 03:03:43 PM »
Man, I thought we were going to get a dramatic countdown.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 03:05:37 PM »

Yeah this totally.

A lot in common with my own tastes too.  I've never checked your band Barry but I'll rectify that.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 08:51:11 PM »
With the exception of Saxon (never did get into them), I know and love every album on that list! Awesome!

Also I bought the first album you guys released way back when it first released. I can definitely hear a lot of these influences in that albums. Is the new album out yet? Will it be available on Tidal? I'll probably just buy it direct from you guys again, but just curious if it will be on the streaming service.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 03:05:53 AM »

Yeah this totally.

A lot in common with my own tastes too.  I've never checked your band Barry but I'll rectify that.

You can find us on YouTube but if you send me a PM I can email you a download link for the first album.  If you like Plini's guitar playing and long, epic prog, you'll dig it, I think

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 03:09:46 AM »
With the exception of Saxon (never did get into them), I know and love every album on that list! Awesome!

Also I bought the first album you guys released way back when it first released. I can definitely hear a lot of these influences in that albums. Is the new album out yet? Will it be available on Tidal? I'll probably just buy it direct from you guys again, but just curious if it will be on the streaming service.

Thank you so much for your interest and support Puppies!  The next album is all recorded -music that is- we are starting the vocal recording in the next week or so.  I hope to release it in the next few months. 

By the way, not to turn this into another The ANABASIS thread, but we are now a non-profit entity.  ALL of the proceeds from this next album (which is a concept / rock opera in the style of Ayreon) are being donated to The Edwina Martin House

And this time we have Brick Williams from Hourglass on lead guitar and he fucking slays  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 04:20:30 AM »

Yeah this totally.

You can find us on YouTube but if you send me a PM I can email you a download link for the first album.  If you like Plini's guitar playing and long, epic prog, you'll dig it, I think

Never heard Plini either haha.  I'll shoot you a PM.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 07:56:02 AM »
He's not mega-popular or anything but he's gotten to a point now where he is earning his living with his guitar.  I know he recently had 1 million streams of one of his releases. 

When he recorded the solos for our album (2010/2011 timeframe) he was completely unknown. 

I would have to put his technical capabilities right up there with the likes of Petrucci, Satriani and Vai. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 08:48:32 AM »

Yeah this totally.

Plini is great. I’m a little surprised there are people here who haven’t heard of him. He’s Australian even (though more of an internet sensation I gather)!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 09:58:35 AM »

Yeah this totally.

You need to put that right Kade. Plini is a mix of Satch and VAi I would say. The new album is excellent. He's an Aussie too. You could be neighbours  :biggrin:
The Anabasis album seems pretty great too. I've listened to a couple of tracks on Facetube and really liked them. I heard the name bandied about here and had it down as some dance/trance stuff - not sure why - but boy  was I very wrong.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 10:14:14 AM »
Great list, and a great Idea for a thread topic. It'd take me a while to do one, because I have to actually dig and figure out what albums actually did shape my Music Taste.

It's more like Albums that made me a fan of that style of music. And some styles of music, I was already a fan of, and don't really have an album that shaped my view of it. I guess, these are styles I enjoyed since I was a young child, and before I really explored music and it's styles.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2021, 10:49:50 AM »
I'd definitely be interested in seeing other's lists, even if they're not 20 albums long.  I think it's interesting how peoples tastes can change -sometimes dramatically- over time. 

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2021, 10:54:07 AM »
My top 20 albums that shaped my taste in music, has to begin from my earliest childhood. Since, in the womb, due to my culture and mother going to shows as well, I listened since I my ears were formed. My dad was into music, so he usually always had it playing. Then my mother introduced me and brother to Babysongs, and stuff for children education that had used music as it's teaching method. It worked  :lol :lol. I still remember those videos, and things. They were either self-composed songs, or general children songs in different styles.

The first song I can remember by a band that I enjoyed is Rush - Tom Sawyer.

The first album I remember buying is a cassette tape of Mariah Carey - Fantasy (single), then later on I got the actual album. I then got Aqua - Aquarium, and Spice Girls - Spice World, also on cassette. I was around the ages of 5-10, and I attribute my enjoyment of Pop to my female cousins who where older than me and into that style of Pop and R&B, and would blast it through their stereos and I would catch them singing along, me being the mischievous boy.

Around 10 is when I started getting into music in general. And I would listen mainly to radio and whatever my dad, uncle, whomever had on. When I was around 13, is when I bought my first album myself. That was Blink 182 - Enema Of The State, and from here on is when my CD collecting and music journey began...

Mariah Carey - Daydream
Selena - Dreaming of You (Funny thing about Selena, is I saw the movie, liked Bidi Bidi Bom Bom, and then went to Blockbuster, saw a Selena Documentary, and me being little thought it was the movie, asked my dad to rent it as I really wanted that one, then watched it, and discovered more of her music and liked those songs a lot. So she is my introduction to Cumbia.)
Bone Thugs N Harmony - E.1999 Eternal
Bob Marley - Legend
Blink 182 - Enema of The State
System of A Down - Toxicity
Sublime - Sublime
Dream Theater - Live At Budakon
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness (Coming out of my teen years into my 20's, This was a real game changer not for me, but for others like my cousin, as I was mainly into Metal and everything else sucks mode in high school, but grew out of it when I graduated, and they did not, so me liking this band was big for them, but not really for me)
Hybrid - Morning Sci-Fi
Masterplan - Masterplan
Nightwish - Century Child
Tesseract - Altered State
Regina Spektor - Begin To Hope
Anathema - Weather Systems
Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Rodrigo Y Gabriela
Bela Fleck and The Flecktones - Outbound
Armin Van Buuren - Imagine
Anais Mitchell - Hadestown

« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 11:05:48 AM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2021, 11:41:56 AM »
Ugh, this is hard, but this is a GREAT topic, in that I don't think I've ever thought of music this way.  Mine, in semi-chronological order:

Snoopy And the Red Baron - The Royal Guardsman (a 45, not an album, but it was MUSIC, and I LOVED IT!)
The Stranger - Billy Joel  (How he created all those little worlds, those little lives, in his songs...each a story!)
Kiss Alive II - Kiss (more show than go, more spectacle than substance, it was electric, and taught me what loud guitars can do!)
The "Blue" Album and The "Red" Album - The Beatles
Hot Rocks - The Rolling Stones
The Number Of The Beast - Iron Maiden (I got this right before I saw them, first concert ever, opening for Priest; Bruce has been the standard for live performance ever since.  And still is, fuckers!)
Deepest Purple - Deep Purple (Ritchie Blackmore, 'nuff said)
Live At Budokan - Cheap Trick
Fragile - Yes
Vol. 4 - Black Sabbath
Abacab and 3 Sides Live - Genesis (the contrast between albums - both the songs on them and the versions of the songs that were common to both - really impacted me)
Asia - Asia (Showed me that the song is as important as the chops, if not moreso)
Kris Kristofferson - Kris Kristofferson
Clutching At Straws - Marillion (I got into them earlier, but Clutching was the album that really dug deep and connected with me; when a 22-year-old college kid can connect with a song like "Sugar Mice" you know it's electric)
The Joshua Tree - U2 (I don't agree with the politics, but I do respect the integrity and the enthusiasm)
Images And Words - Dream Theater
The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin (You didn't have to be a metal head, prog head, or come from England to make interesting provocative music)
Ten - Pearl Jam (A primer on how to make your influences your own)
(What's The Story) Morning Glory? - Oasis

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2021, 11:45:38 AM »
Damn, those lists are FAR more varied and eclectic than I expected!   :eek

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2021, 11:49:10 AM »
Kiss Alive II - Kiss (more show than go, more spectacle than substance, it was electric, and taught me what loud guitars can do!)

I almost included "Destroyer" because for about a year after it came out "Detroit Rock City" was my favorite song  :hat    Until I heard "Victim of Changes" by Judas Priest  :eek

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2021, 11:51:06 AM »
Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness (Coming out of my teen years into my 20's, This was a real game changer not for me, but for others like my cousin, as I was mainly into Metal and everything else sucks mode in high school, but grew out of it when I graduated, and they did not, so me liking this band was big for them, but not really for me)

I almost included these guys too, but the album I would have listed is their latest one, which I think is their best to date.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2021, 11:51:47 AM »
Not sure I can get 20 but I’ll list what I got...

Ventures - Greatest Hits (thanks Dad!)
Air Supply - The One That You Love (go ahead and laugh, you know you like it 😉)
Journey - Escape
Asia - S/T
ZZ Top - Eliminator
Big Country - The Seer
Alan Parson Project - Turn of a Friendly Card
Joe Satriani - Surfing with the Alien
Def Leppard - Hysteria
Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
Eric Johnson - Ah Via Musicom
Dream Theater - Images & Words
Savatage - Edge of Thorns
Riverside - Out of Myself
Anathema - Weather Systems
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2021, 11:55:35 AM »
Air Supply - The One That You Love (go ahead and laugh, you know you like it 😉)

Nah, man, I'd never laugh at something like this because I am the biggest Barry Manilow fan you've ever met  :loser:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2021, 12:24:45 PM »

I almost included "Destroyer" because for about a year after it came out "Detroit Rock City" was my favorite song  :hat    Until I heard "Victim of Changes" by Judas Priest  :eek

Haha. 

It's worth noting that some of these albums are symbolic, in that Kiss generally is an influence, and Kiss Alive II was the first one I bought.   Any of the first eight (studio and live) could be there, but Alive II was the first.   Same with Clutching at Straws.  It's probably better to look at my list like a tree or a series of doors.  I should have the second Michael Schenker album on there, and Animal Magetism by the Scorpions, instead of CaS, but with Deep Purple and Sabbath, it's sort of redundant.  I could have Holy Diver and Blizzard of Ozz, too, but same problem.   

Shit, I need more than 20.  :) 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2021, 12:31:33 PM »

Seeing this on the list jumped out at me. I love this album and it made my Top 50. I love me my early Saxon, but this one had such a great production and really took them next level. I used to listen to this all the time delivering papers.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2021, 12:56:24 PM »

Seeing this on the list jumped out at me. I love this album and it made my Top 50. I love me my early Saxon, but this one had such a great production and really took them next level. I used to listen to this all the time delivering papers.

To me it's still the best album they've ever released with the best song they ever wrote "The Eagle Has Landed"  :metal

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2021, 01:11:10 PM »

I almost included these guys too, but the album I would have listed is their latest one, which I think is their best to date.

Oh yeah it's a good one. I haven't listened to it as much though. I should remedy that...

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2021, 01:17:47 PM »
Yeah, I think it's got the best production and best songwriting of anything they've released to date.  Give it a few more spins, I think you'll come around to at least liking it  :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2021, 01:51:04 PM »
Huh, I'll check out this Plini.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2021, 02:14:35 PM »
He's not mega-popular or anything but he's gotten to a point now where he is earning his living with his guitar.  I know he recently had 1 million streams of one of his releases. 

He is very well known among the online guitar community!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline emtee

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2021, 02:34:41 PM »
Love the lists.

I'm not going to list specific albums. Just "favorite" bands through the years. It's off-the-cuff so I'll probably leave off a few.

Chicago
Zeppelin
Sabbath
Heart
Journey
Rush
Yes
Genesis
Triumph
Whitesnake
Dokken
Dio
Ratt
Dream Theater
Spock's Beard
Porcupine Tree
Opeth
Tesseract
IQ

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2021, 02:47:06 PM »
Heart almost made my list too.  I still go see them live whenever they tour my area and they still put on a hell of a show

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2021, 03:48:02 PM »
The albums that shaped my listening would be, in somewhat chronological order (at least for when I heard them)

John Travolta - Sandy - the first album I ever owned. Pretty embarrassing now but I was about 8.

ABBA - The Album. I loved this album, and a Eagle is one of my favourite songs even now. That Swedish sound would resonate a few years later.

Meat Loaf - Dead Ringer. I heard this Meat album first, and loved it. I have a huge soft spot for Meat Loaf. Still one of the best gigs I ever went to on the 10th Anniversary of Bat Out of Hell. I ended up going on my own as the girl I was taking for her birthday had to cancel when her boyfriend surprised her by coming home from the navy that day. I quite literally had to escape out of a window!  :lol

KISS - Alive 2. My first rock album, and we’re off. The cover attracted me first. I was aMarvel comics fan and I used to see the ads for the solo albums and was just entranced by the pictures. I’d take this over the first Alive just because of how energetic it sounded. The new songs were cool too.

Axe Attack + various artists. A K rel special, with a great selection of metal bands. I got into most of these bands through this album.

Saxon + Strong Arm of the Law.

AC/DC - Highway To Hell. A few years later I lost my virginity to the first side of this album!  :blush

Rainbow - Rising. That guitar, playing scales I’d not really heard before. And that voice. Blackmore is single handedly responsible for my love of exotic scales and that Arabian sound.

Ozzy Osbourne- Diary Of A Madman. The guitar sound on this just called to me. I knew the guitarist was something special even though I had no idea why. I just knew I liked it.

UFO + Strangers In The Night. Greatest live album ever. I love this band. Schenker was gone by the time I heard them but it didn’t matter. First gig I went to too, on the Wild, Willing And Innoc3nt tour.

Rush - A Farewell To Kings. One of my rocker mates had older brothers who were bikers. I used to talk music with one of them and he played this album for me. well, I’d heard nothing like it and I became a huge fan.

Iron Maiden- Killers. The storytelling in the lyrics inspired me to write my own stories, including one based on Murders In The Rue Morgue. And they would be on prime time tv in the UK. Unheard of for this type of music at the time.

Yngwie Malmsteen - Rising Force.  This took everything I loved in Blackmore and ramped it up. Now I wanted to play guitar. This kickstarted m6 love of the 80s shredders and guitar instrumental music.

Marillion - Script For A Jesters Tear. I was starting to like more complicated music.

Gary Moore - Victims Of The Future. Guitars again. I just love them. Gary was the 3rd gig I went to. Gary kickstarted my love of the blues a few years later.

Gillan - Glory Road. I played the hell out of this one, and Gillan was the second live gig I went to.

Y&T - Earthshaker. I was going to see several bands at the 84 Monsters of Rock so I did my homework and found these, Motley Crue and Accept. I became a huge Y&T fan. Gary Moore, Ozzy, Van Zhalen and AC/DC completed the lineup. Best gig ever.

Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet. Where hair metal started for me. I had the curly perm and blonde highlights back when I had hair at this time.

Queensryche- Operation Mindcrime. Joint greatest album of all time. I’d been a fan since hearing Queen Of The Reich on the Friday Rock Show a few years earlier. They took over from Rush (Who just weren’t the force they had been) as my favourite band with this album.

Dream Theater - Images and Words. I had the debut on import on release but this album was just the greatest thing I’d ever heard, much like when I’d heard Rush for the first time. Joint greatest album ever. As Queensryche started to wane, they became my favourite band and have been there ever since.

And really since then my taste has been set since then. I can’t think of any major kick up the arse since then.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2021, 04:11:42 PM »
Iron Maiden- Killers. The storytelling in the lyrics inspired me to write my own stories, including one based on Murders In The Rue Morgue. And they would be on prime time tv in the UK. Unheard of for this type of music at the time.

For a second there I thought you meant your stories were on prime time tv.  :lol

Great list though.

Offline emtee

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2021, 04:28:29 PM »
Thinking about this, there's one oddity. The single most impactful event that ever happened to me in terms of music--you know, that moment when you realize that you feel something that others don't feel--is when my Uncle in Seattle slapped a pair of headphones on me from his high-end system and set the needle down on Riders On The Storm. I was 11. Everything changed in that moment and yet I don't own a single Doors album. That seems wrong. I'm going to buy their discography .

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2021, 04:31:05 PM »

For a second there I thought you meant your stories were on prime time tv.  :lol

Great list though.

Err, no  :lol

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2021, 05:58:52 PM »
Thinking about this, there's one oddity. The single most impactful event that ever happened to me in terms of music--you know, that moment when you realize that you feel something that others don't feel--is when my Uncle in Seattle slapped a pair of headphones on me from his high-end system and set the needle down on Riders On The Storm. I was 11. Everything changed in that moment and yet I don't own a single Doors album. That seems wrong. I'm going to buy their discography .

That was like me with Rush. I never owned one of their albums until I got into High School, and I enjoyed them a lot, at least what I heard on Radio at the time until the internet was able to give us songs.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2021, 02:58:09 AM »
I'm thinking about this one too and it's at least an interesting thought experiment. Coming up with twenty records/albums/CD's/songs that are not necessarily my all-time favourites, but the ones that shaped my tastes over the years. I'll have something up soon!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Freeze

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2021, 08:57:53 AM »
Rush - A Farewell To Kings
Rush - Moving Pictures
Queensrÿche - Operation: Mindcrime
Iron Maiden : The Number of the Beast
Kiss : Unmasked
TNT : Knights of the New Thunder
Metallica : Ride The Lightning
Mercyful Fate : Don't Break The Oath
Marillion : Brave
Dream Theater : Images And Words
Black Sabbath : Sabotage
Judas Priest : Defenders of the Faith
King Crimson : Red
Deep Purple : In Rock
Pink Floyd : The Wall
Accept : Restless And Wild
Dio : Holy Diver
Megadeth : Peace Sells ... But Who's Buying?
King Diamond : Fatal Portrait
Helloween : Walls of Jericho