Poll

Should the "best song of the round" bonus be doubled for the final round?

Nah, x2 points for the songs but only +1 point for the bonus
Fuck yeah
Kevin Moore (he's an electronic artist so I have to include him)

Author Topic: Buddyhunter1's ELECTRONIC ROULETTE (v5) - FINAL RESULTS!!!  (Read 26368 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Buddyhunter1's ELECTRONIC ROULETTE (v5) - ROUND 2 COMPARISONS
« Reply #281 on: January 15, 2021, 03:52:12 PM »
Ooh, nice way of doing it! :tup

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: January 16, 2021, 12:11:25 AM »
Sacul :hifive:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #283 on: January 17, 2021, 07:17:49 AM »
:corn

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's ELECTRONIC ROULETTE (v5) - ROUND 2 RESULTS
« Reply #285 on: January 17, 2021, 01:46:58 PM »
 :corn

---ROUND 2 RESULTS---

Puppies_On_Acid - Grimes

Production’s interesting. Vocals are going to be a hurdle.

I’ll get my main complaint out of the way first: the vocals here are hard for me to enjoy. They’re very high-pitched, cutesy, and kinda baby-like, and while I can also say that about Poppy or some of the vocalists that appear on some Anamanaguchi songs, they aren’t quite this extreme. The way they’re mixed in both of these songs is also a bit questionable, for different reasons. In World Princess it sounds like there’s a filter on them cutting out all the low frequencies, making them sound even more shrill-sounding. They’re a bit more full-bodied on My Name Is Dark, but they’re slathered in so much reverb and echo that they just become an overwhelming haze. I get that it’s done for effect, but I wish they dialed it back just a little bit.

Thankfully, everything else here is done quite well. These two songs have very different vibes, but I really enjoy the production on both of them. World Princess is really quirky and strange, but in a good way. Its upbeat groove is quite infectious, and I really enjoy that synth line in the choruses. My Name Is Dark has this dark, brooding bassline paired with some suitably dirty and murky tones. I’m not entirely sure how well it suits the vocals, but I still love the instrumental here. This is a pretty long song too (for a pop song, anyways) at almost six minutes, but it doesn’t feel stretched-out or boring. If I enjoyed the vocals more, you probably would have gotten the best song of the round bonus twice in a row.

World Princess Part II: 6.5
My Name Is Dark: 7.5

Ariich: Nested Shapes

Good music for drifting through space.

I would have felt bad shitting on your brother’s music, so it’s a good thing I enjoyed it! What I really like about both of these songs is that while they’re quite spacey and ambient, they feel very meticulously composed. Rather than being sequences of loops that occasionally get added to or subtracted from to create variety, these feel like they were actually written, with effective shifts in chords, melody, and intensity. Orbit in particular feels a bit like a prog mini-epic converted into an atmospheric electronica piece. It’s eight minutes long, but it stays interesting throughout with a good flow and buildup. There’s a lot of glitchy textures constantly fluttering around, and they all feel fitting. There’s something missing that would push this over the edge to “great” territory; maybe it’s still a bit too low-key and chill for me, but I still think the execution is excellent.

Sleep is very pretty and meditative, almost more spacey than the actual space-themed song here! The 7/4 time signature gives the delicate piano work and atmospheric electronics a unique foundation, and I definitely appreciate the changes in chords and melodies here and there. I don’t usually go for stuff quite this relaxed, but I sincerely hope this guy gets more attention in the future.

Orbit: 7.5
Sleep: 6.5

Sacul: St. Vincent

It’s pretty upbeat, but I’m not quite sure what to feel about this.

It’s hard to put my finger on what exactly it is, but something about the sound here just isn’t doing it for me, especially on Los Ageless. It’s got an upbeat, quirky beat, but the sleazy vibe here feels kinda gross and unpleasant for whatever reason. I kinda like the fuzzy guitars earlier on, but that riff in the bridge feels like a wet fart rather than hitting hard like it should. The vocal melodies don’t do much for me either; the verses are pretty unremarkable, and the repetitive chorus gets a bit grating. Finally, the song’s topped off with a minute-long outro that just feels pointless to me. Fear The Future, while not great either, has a lot less to dislike. The production’s quite busy, but it compliments the simple melodies and song structure well, I think. I particularly like the outro where everything picks up and it feels like a ship being put into hyperdrive. Short, but decently sweet. Doubt I’ll check out more of this artist though; doesn’t really seem like my vibe.

Los Ageless: 5.5
Fear The Future: 6.5

The Walrus: Emancipator

This is quite beautiful. It conjures up such vivid images of natural landscapes, while still having enough electronic elements.

The atmosphere is easily the strongest thing about both of these songs. Like I said in my first impressions, it feels very naturalistic - wind in the trees, soaring landscapes, waves crashing on the shore cliffs… it’s a pleasant place to be in. Himilayan has a really good mix of electronic and natural instruments; the electronics create a good beat, and then the clean guitars, strings, and distant saxophone provide the vivid imagery. Blue Dream is shorter, but even stronger in its atmosphere. The background ambiance created by both the nature samples and the looping electronics is superb, and I love that chime-like synth and the periodic swells of echoing piano. These songs are very dreamy and beautiful; maybe on speakers they sound a bit underwhelming, but when I sit down with some good headphones and really soak it all in, they’re very enjoyable.

Himilayan: 7.0
Blue Dream: 7.5

Evermind: Amethystium

More lively than I was expecting. I don’t listen to Enya but this sounds like Enya.

I suppose I’ll start off by saying that when I said “don’t send pure ambient”, this certainly wouldn’t qualify. It’s got melody, it’s got a beat, and it has a solid structure; just one of those things would disqualify it from “pure ambient” in my mind, let alone all three! Anyways, while the atmosphere here is quite vivid, I have mixed feelings on the production. For something so inspired by new-age and world music, some more natural instruments would have been nice, especially in Autumn Interlude. While Emancipator made me feel like I was hiking through a serene, natural landscape, this makes me feel like I’m adventuring through a computer-generated forest in an old-school MMORPG. These songs are also a bit too long, too. Treasure is easily the better of the two; it’s got a more defined song structure, the vocals are better utilized, and the instruments sound a bit more alive. I particularly like the break after the first chorus and the violin(?) solo towards the end. So yeah, this is some nice electronic world music, but it’s no Afro Celt Sound System or anything. I might have to share this with my dad though; he’d probably dig it!

Autumn Interlude: 6.0
Treasure: 6.5

Cyril: Billie Eilish

“Sleepy” is usually an insult right? It might be a compliment here.

Obviously I’ve heard of Billie Eilish before, and I’m somewhat familiar with Bad Guy, but I haven’t actually sat down and listened to any of her songs front to back before. I was surprised to not see any songs from her full-length album, looks like just singles she has released afterwards? I also wasn’t expecting both of these songs to be so low-key and meditative. They’re definitely pop songs, but they feel almost like lullabies. Everything I Wanted is especially sedated - too much for my tastes, really. It is quite dreamy and peaceful though, and the vocal melodies and harmonies are pleasant to listen to. My Future has a more whimsical, soaring mood to it, which I enjoy. It’s still peaceful, but not nearly as dreary. I’ve caught myself humming it a few times throughout the week, for what that’s worth. These songs are nice, though they do make me want to fall asleep a little.

Everything I Wanted: 6.0
My Future: 6.5

Shadow Ninja 2.0: FM-84

Both songs were nice, but I get the feeling the second one is going to pull all of the weight here.

To get the complaints out of the way first once again, I definitely think the production here could be a bit better. It’s some very, VERY 80s-sounding synthwave, with super glossy and clean synths and drums. From my limited experience with synthwave, I think I prefer stuff that has a bit more grit to it than this; it’s like watching an old VHS tape but without any of the grain or discoloration. It’s not bad or anything, it just feels a bit overly-pristine. As for the songs themselves, my first impression holds true. Running In The Night is alright, it’s got a nice dreamy vibe, but I don’t find the melodies to be all that strong and there’s not too many memorable sections.

Never Stop, in terms of songwriting, is much, much better. Out of all the songs I’ve gotten in the roulette thus far, this might be the most flawless in terms of flow and structure. Every section lasts just as long as it should, the verses transition into the excellent choruses superbly, and we even get an awesome synth solo before the final chorus. While the production is still a tad bit underwhelming, the quality of that amazing chorus and the flow of the song makes up for it. I think this just barely beats out Grimes for the best song of the round, so congrats!

Running In The Night: 6.0
Never Stop: 7.5 + 1 = 8.5

Elite: DJ Shadow

I was worried this might not be to my liking, but I ended up really enjoying the production here.

To clarify my first impressions, I was worried this might fall into the same category as Portishead where the heavy use of samples felt too natural and not electronic enough. While the first song here is entirely samples to my knowledge, I wouldn’t say it feels natural, especially once the drum beat starts getting really chopped up and stuttery in the middle. All of the layers here work really well together. The looping piano and drum beat is a good foundation, that low piano chord enhances the mood a lot, and I like that cold, eerie choir melody. It’s a bit repetitive, but the subtle variations in loops and funky middle section inject just enough variety for this not to be an issue.

My Lonely Room feels much more futuristic with its glitchy percussion, but it still has a nocturnal, noir-esque atmosphere to it created by the dark, swelling synth chords. The bassline and the synth melodies also feel quite ominous, resulting in a really oppressive and captivating mood. Things get a bit stranger towards the end, with some frenetic percussion and a jazzy flute sample; not quite as atmospheric, but still interesting. I’m not sure if I’d enjoy a full album of stuff like this, but I definitely liked both of these tracks.

Building Steam With A Grain Of Salt: 7.0
My Lonely Room: 7.0

Romdrums - 65daysofstatic

Actually, I feel kind of spooky.

These are both interesting pieces, albeit a bit formless. Monolith is from the No Man’s Sky soundtrack from the looks of it, and it definitely has a film soundtrack quality to it (I know No Man’s Sky is a video game, not a film). I like the droning guitars in the first section. They create a pretty apocalyptic vibe and remind me a lot of the last Altar Of Plagues album, of all things. After this we get a driving middle section with a decent build, more droning guitars, and a pretty sweet synth arpeggio that comes in a little after the four minute mark. I’m not entirely sure about the noisier section at the end; I think it could compliment an intense moment in a film or game quite well, but it feels a bit odd on its own. I’m not sure how often I’d return to something like this, but it’s quite interesting while it’s on.

Bad Age is just spooky as hell. The repetitive, off-kilter kick drum pattern, the ominous synth melody, and what sounds like a wailing guitar in the background create an incredibly dark and oppressive atmosphere. I really enjoy that, though there’s not all much else to this song otherwise. It does get a bit more intense in the second half, but not by much. This isn’t the most engaging submission I got this round, but it’s definitely not the worst either and it’s a big improvement from the last round.

Monolith: 6.5
Bad Age: 6.5

---STANDINGS---

1: Puppies_On_Acid: 29
2: Ariich: 28.5
2: The Walrus: 28.5
4: Shadow Ninja 2.0: 27.5
5: Sacul: 26.5
6: Evermind: 26
7: Cyril: 25.5
7: Elite: 25.5
9: Romdrums: 24

---ARTISTS BANNED THIS ROUND---

DJ Shadow
Emancipator
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #286 on: January 17, 2021, 02:18:19 PM »
guess i can't complain too much about a 6.5 when the best song of the round is a 7.5 lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #287 on: January 17, 2021, 03:13:07 PM »
Nice, glad you liked it! All very fair, it's very nuanced stuff and definitely not for everyone, but for me the production and composition give it a real sense of atmosphere so I'm glad you liked that aspect too.

Although darn it, that's both rounds where I've scored the same as the best song of the round, but not got that coveted bonus point. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: January 17, 2021, 06:26:42 PM »
Oh well :P

I definitely have something you'll love for the next 2, maybe 3 rounds. After that, it's all going wild.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #289 on: January 18, 2021, 07:36:30 AM »
Round 3 sent.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #290 on: January 18, 2021, 07:44:51 AM »
Hey, that's better, yay!

I figure something out for next round.

What's your opinion (biased or not) on some of the insanely huge names in electronic music? You know, the ones atop all the festival posters.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #291 on: January 18, 2021, 07:49:48 AM »
What's your opinion (biased or not) on some of the insanely huge names in electronic music? You know, the ones atop all the festival posters.

You'll have to be more specific than that, I'm not too familiar with most of them :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #292 on: January 18, 2021, 11:06:44 AM »
Sent lots of music for round 3!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #293 on: January 18, 2021, 04:08:10 PM »
I sent something last night, which I'm assuming was accepted. :corn :biggrin: :|
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #294 on: January 18, 2021, 05:14:02 PM »
I sent something last night, which I'm assuming was accepted. :corn :biggrin: :|

Yup!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #295 on: January 19, 2021, 07:44:59 AM »
Got submissions from everyone except Evermind and Elite.

Sacul was one of the first to send once again. Redemption arc?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: January 19, 2021, 10:13:22 AM »
I'm on it, hasn't been 48 hours yet so I'm not late :P You'll get it in about an hour.

edit: sent!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 10:40:50 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: January 19, 2021, 11:39:08 AM »
More like I sent before I forgot to :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #298 on: January 19, 2021, 12:30:47 PM »
Got submissions from everyone except Evermind and Elite.

but was he -the- first to send? :neverusethis:

i'm thinking of changing one or two of my later entries but idk sounds annoying

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #299 on: January 19, 2021, 12:52:41 PM »
i'm thinking of changing one or two of my later entries but idk sounds annoying

I wouldn't complain, so long as what you change them into are better! ;D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #300 on: January 19, 2021, 04:58:02 PM »
yeah see that's the thing,

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #301 on: January 20, 2021, 12:02:59 PM »
Sending soon!

Or rather, adding to the playlist
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #302 on: January 20, 2021, 12:05:15 PM »
 :corn Awesome, should have hangman later this afternoon then.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #303 on: January 20, 2021, 12:34:01 PM »
What afternoon? It's evening here :corn
Squ

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #304 on: January 20, 2021, 12:49:39 PM »
Mine, fool

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #305 on: January 20, 2021, 12:54:38 PM »
Okay, you got the tracks now. You better enjoy them :neverusethis:
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #306 on: January 20, 2021, 01:28:43 PM »
give me the Q for Quality Music Cannot Be Found Here

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #307 on: January 20, 2021, 01:36:22 PM »
Give me T for tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Squ

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #308 on: January 20, 2021, 01:49:15 PM »
Okay, you got the tracks now. You better enjoy them :neverusethis:

Oh, did you just update your playlist? Please re-send me the link, I didn't know I had to hold onto it. :lol

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #309 on: January 20, 2021, 02:20:58 PM »
Unfortunately I have already heard one of the songs Elite sent. :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #310 on: January 20, 2021, 02:43:01 PM »
Unfortunately I have already heard one of the songs Elite sent. :lol
I mean, this is your fault for having an incomplete ban list. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #311 on: January 20, 2021, 02:45:03 PM »
I think a lot of people have heard that particular song, so it didn't surprise me :)

But of course, I was first to resend, so let's get on with the hangmanen
Squ

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #312 on: January 20, 2021, 03:00:42 PM »
Alrighty, let's get this going.

??: _____ T___
    1: ____ T_ _____ (_____ ___)
    2: _________s ________ ____

??: _____ ___
    1: _______t_
    2: _____s____

??: ___s___
    1: T___ ____
    2: ____ ___ ___

??: _T
    1: S_______
    2: T_______ - ________ ___

??: ______ ________ & S____
    1: _____
    2: ___________

??: T__ _____ Q____
    1: T____ S___
    2: ___ T_ _____

??: ___t____t__
    1: T__t____ _____s___ __s_____
    2: _____s ___ S___ __s_ ____

??: _____
    1: Q____s___
    2: ____

??: ______ ____
    1: _'_ ___
    2: _-_

Guessed letters: QTS

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Buddyhunter1's ELECTRONIC ROULETTE (v5) - ROUND 2 HANGMAN
« Reply #313 on: January 20, 2021, 03:01:20 PM »
S!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline romdrums

Re: Buddyhunter1's ELECTRONIC ROULETTE (v5) - ROUND 2 HANGMAN
« Reply #314 on: January 20, 2021, 03:58:12 PM »
Someone sent BT.
Either Puppies or Elite sent Imogen Heap, songs are 2-1 and I'm God.

Let's see an A.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 04:05:13 PM by romdrums »
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.