Author Topic: New John Sykes  (Read 1160 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
New John Sykes
« on: January 01, 2021, 11:40:37 AM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: New John Sykes
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 11:57:05 AM »
I was going to post the teaser I saw last night, but I forgot. :lol

This sounds really good. Never been a fan of his voice. It's just not powerful enough for this music. I'm looking forward to hearing more of this album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 12:19:13 PM »
About time he finally release this - isn't material on this new album probably some of the same stuff that he was supposed to be working with MP and Billy Sheehan on? Nonetheless, it sounds good, if a little generic.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline emtee

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 01:41:18 PM »
I've always enjoyed his tone and style of playing. I am instantly transported to Blue Murders debut when I hear him. I enjoyed this new song very much. Still bummed the collaboration never happened even though I understand why.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 03:24:24 PM »
Sounds great I actually can't believe after so many false starts that he has new material out.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 03:51:38 PM »
Great to have him back. Lyrics are shit but I like the song.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 04:20:13 PM »
Great to have him back. Lyrics are shit but I like the song.

As soon as I see a lyric video I switch browser tabs because inevitably the shit lyrics (which I normally wouldn't notice near as much) ruin the song for me to some extent.

I am surprised to hear it sound so much like Blue Murder - I was expecting him to go "modern" , so that's something.  His solo albums have mostly been sketchy , but this sounds pretty good. 

He does seem to have lost some of the "beef" in his vocals , which were already (in the past) borderline strong enough for the music as Tim pointed out.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 04:30:09 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 08:27:41 PM »
I'm the same with lyric video's don't like them at all, but serves a purpose.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2021, 08:48:14 AM »
I guess I have to re-listen to it.  I was HOPING for "Blue Murder" and I didn't hear it.   That's on me, I think, as I didn't give it dedicated listening, but part of that was not liking the vocals that much.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2021, 10:40:50 AM »
I was hoping for better than Blue Murder, honestly.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2021, 01:44:49 PM »
Not a fan of Blue Murder?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2021, 04:08:49 PM »
Not a fan of Blue Murder?

No, I didn't find it interesting at all. The quality of the music was nowhere near the quality of the talent. And the vocals were so forgettable, it never really had a chance.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2021, 09:17:52 PM »
It's a shame that Sykes didn't manage to swallow his pride and persist with either Ray Gillen or Mark Free for Blue Murder.

I believe I played a Blue Murder demo with Ray Gillen on one of my podcast episodes.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline HOF

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2021, 10:36:36 PM »
There are a couple pretty memorable tracks on the second Blue Murder album.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2021, 09:01:13 AM »
Jelly Roll is a GREAT tune, IMO. 

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2021, 12:33:48 PM »
YES!!!
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2021, 02:58:44 PM »

It's a shame that Sykes didn't manage to swallow his pride and persist with either Ray Gillen or Mark Free for Blue Murder.

I believe I played a Blue Murder demo with Ray Gillen on one of my podcast episodes.

It was my understanding that the label pushed for Sykes to sing lead.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2021, 03:08:41 PM »

It was my understanding that the label pushed for Sykes to sing lead.

Yeah..................Kalodner pushed for him to do it after Tony Martin (who co-wrote Valley Of The Kings) backed out and returned to Sabbath.  So Martin was probably the closest anyone came to gettting the gig.  Complex situation and a few versions of the story but I always felt that Sykes got the result he was after in the end ......more my opinion that solid fact.  If Ray Gillen and Mark Free aren't good enough then he set the bar pretty high :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 03:15:00 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2021, 04:37:24 AM »
Am I the only one that found that song pretty underwhelming?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2021, 04:51:12 AM »

I don't think so.  As a song I think it is missing something - not a completely cohesive tune - but style wise it's much more up my alley than I was expecting.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2021, 08:35:29 AM »
I want to interview Tony Martin.  I want to ask him about his career choices.   It baffles me that he's basically reduced to a Sabbath second when Ozzy and/or Dio aren't able or willing to participate.    I think he's an excellent singer, and while he's a little derivative of Dio, he's unique enough where I know it's him when he sings. 

Why some of these other guys (not naming names, because I don't want to be mean; Jeff Scott Soto is a nice enough guy and doesn't need shots from me) keep getting gigs and Martin doesn't is fascinating to me.  Is he hard to work with?   Is he not as good as I think he is?   Is he just not up for a big gig?  Are his tastes just that different?   I'd LOVE to hear Martin on an Ayreon record, for example. I'd love Martin in a Sons Of Apollo type band.   I don't know... but I'd love to ask him.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2021, 08:40:20 AM »

Based on the comments on YouTube, you'd think so.  Musically, it was decent, but those lyrics... :\ ???
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2021, 09:50:13 AM »

Based on the comments on YouTube, you'd think so.  Musically, it was decent, but those lyrics... :\ ???

I liked it more as it went on but the lyrics were dire. It's certainly lacking in some magic dust.
Maybe people are just stoked to have him back.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2021, 01:28:43 PM »
Objectively  id give it a B-     where is the solo?  a tad too plodding
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2021, 01:41:26 PM »
Objectively  id give it a B-     where is the solo?  a tad too plodding

I was disappointed there was not much of a solo also.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2021, 01:42:48 PM »

The YouTube comments were kind of the reason for me asking.  Thought I must have been missing something.  :lol

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2021, 07:31:50 AM »
According to everybody's favorite, Eddie Trunk, who has been communicating over the past few weeks, he never had any intention of releasing this song now.  It was at his son's insistence (he put the lyric video together) because of the song's theme that he put it out.  Apparently, this isn't the beginning of a media push for a new album.  He's still very soured on the whole music industry.

Looks like he'll just go back into his cave for another 5 years.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member