Author Topic: Ytsejam Records shutting down... little help?  (Read 6336 times)

Offline zappafrank2112

Ytsejam Records shutting down... little help?
« on: December 31, 2020, 03:08:09 PM »
Crap, right when I was gonna buy some stuff.

I'm looking for:

WDADU demos cd
live WDADReunite (James on vox) cd
live WDADReunite dvd
Live in NYC 3/4/93 cd
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 05:36:05 PM by zappafrank2112 »

Offline zappafrank2112

Re: Ytsejam Records shutting down... little help?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 04:16:00 PM »
I did head to ebay and found these actually; thanks.

My concern on these is that they're the Russian knockoffs (who has 22 of the WDADReunite DVD?  Plus it's coming from "outside the US").  Functionally the same, but... ya know.  But I realize this is a me thing.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 04:27:55 PM »
Yeah, I wondered the same thing. If they're bootlegs, they look pretty good. I have to admit, I actually just ordered a bunch of bootlegs of some other bands because legit copies are impossible to find. There are zero available even at ridiculous prices. Just...none. So weird. But they're quality copies so whatever.

If you just want the music I'm sure somebody here could help you but official copies will be difficult.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 04:44:53 PM »
Or if anyone knows how to get in touch with the Ytsejam folks, that'd help, too (all pages now redirect to a generic "taking a break" page, with no info).

Online HOF

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 05:33:10 PM »
Now that DT is on Bandcamp they need to get all of these up there for download. It’s silly to me when bands sit on material that could be out there generating income.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 08:27:02 PM »
Now that DT is on Bandcamp they need to get all of these up there for download. It’s silly to me when bands sit on material that could be out there generating income.

sounds like the best way to go for these type of releases nowadays

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 12:37:22 PM »
There's now an e-mail address listed on the default page, which I've contacted to see if anything might still be possible.

I understand that it's their* business to run their... er, business as they see fit, but a little advance warning of "we will be ceasing operations on this date" would have been nice.  It was literally an overnight thing - I had opened the page on Dec 30 to start thinking, and then when I navigated through the site on Dec 31, the default message started popping up.

*And I know that "they" =/= the band.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2021, 07:37:20 AM »
Is it me, or is this maybe a good thing? Maybe it's a sign that they're looking into a way of getting some "bonus material" out there some other way (bandcamp, etc...) I mean, I love the ytsejam stuff, but it's been 10+ years since I've bought anything from there (only because I have everything and they haven't released anything new). Hopefully this just means a change in how they're distributing "new" releases.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2021, 08:13:57 AM »
If they go to downloads:   :tdwn

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2021, 08:54:09 AM »
not necessarily IMHO. If they were to offer CD quality downloads or 24 bit (FLAC), it would work out well (for me anyway)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2021, 09:17:51 AM »

I would hope, they would offer, the physical cd as an option as well.

But with Unleash The Archers, and they are a first I saw doing this on Bandcamp, is not offering the album for free and only allowing certain songs to be played, resulting in you actually having to buy the album, just to listen to it fully and download the album.

But then, Ytsejam is the product of MP. And it seems, it's just becoming a thing that isn't worth the hassle. As sad as it is, it happens, and there is nothing to be done about it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online HOF

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2021, 10:02:23 AM »

I mean, I’m all for physical product, but if they don’t want the cost of operating a shop and otherwise intend to just shut it all down, at least throw it up on Bandcamp so people can still buy it in some format.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2021, 10:57:32 AM »
If they don't want to run Ytsejam anymore, they should have at least had a clearance sale!

(And like I said, advance warning of the shutdown.  Unless I missed something somewhere, it was literally an overnight thing.)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2021, 10:58:19 AM »

I mean, I’m all for physical product, but if they don’t want the cost of operating a shop and otherwise intend to just shut it all down, at least throw it up on Bandcamp so people can still buy it in some format.

At the very least they should do some type of physical format in a limited run. Lots of DT fans are still physical collectors

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2021, 10:59:40 AM »
At the very least they should do some type of physical format in a limited run. Lots of DT fans are still physical collectors

*raises hand*

Which is why I went to the site to pick up some stuff in the 1st place.  Late Christmas present to myself, too. :(

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2021, 11:17:49 AM »
If they don't want to run Ytsejam anymore, they should have at least had a clearance sale!

(And like I said, advance warning of the shutdown.  Unless I missed something somewhere, it was literally an overnight thing.)

What if....They sold all they had...And now since there is no more stock, they shut it down, and that was the message to people that, that is it.

But, also...They could be switching them over to Bandcamp, and offering them that way. Which is a great way for bands to offer these things. It also is a good way for fans to get, bonus stuff, instead of having to buy expensive box-sets. Porcupine Tree, is the best example of a band taking this full on. And they are offering some great stuff. I am a sucker for live stuff, especially songs that were rarely played.

Also, I could see them, still having physical cds. But, in order for them to offer them on Bandcamp, or any other medium, they have to first close down the site, and could be some odd business contract they had to get rid of, first.

I don't think Ytsejam Records, is gone. Just the website that is Ytsejam Records. The Ytsejam Products may still live on in the future, just things are still being settled first.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2021, 07:46:15 AM »
I would also add that this stuff has been available for over 10 years.  People have had plenty of time to get what they wanted.  If you’ve waited 10 years, I doubt it’s anything you were desperate to own.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2021, 08:33:07 AM »
I would also add that this stuff has been available for over 10 years.  People have had plenty of time to get what they wanted.  If you’ve waited 10 years, I doubt it’s anything you were desperate to own.

It's entitlement that is related to how we can, "own" things now. People want to own and have everything that was available and what to hear everything that is available, that is called being a fanboy or in nicer terms, a hardcore fan.

The part people can't accept is, there are things that are LIMITED. It's why you should seize the moment, seize the opportunity, when it arrives, because you may never have that chance again.

This site being shut down is a prime example of that. And now those who can't accept it are hurt because either they didn't seize the moment. I am more sorry for the newer fans, but hey we have the internet now and these Ytsejam releases are on YOUTUBE.

To me, the band has no obligation to tell the fans something like this. I am sure, only a handful, if at that, really care about these extra special Bootlegs.

Offline sylentman

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2021, 10:12:47 AM »
If/when those ytsejam bootlegs are not officially sold anymore by the band, would assume they could be freely shared as with any other unofficial bootleg?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2021, 08:37:49 AM »
The only things I never got were the LTE DVDs.  Always figured I eventually would "some day," but never did.  Oh well.  As Peter MC said, they were never anything I "needed" all that badly.  So while I would like to have them for completeness sake, not a big deal.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2021, 09:33:30 AM »
The only things I never got were the LTE DVDs.  Always figured I eventually would "some day," but never did.  Oh well.  As Peter MC said, they were never anything I "needed" all that badly.  So while I would like to have them for completeness sake, not a big deal.

That's where I was at and then pulled the trigger about two years ago.

While everyone had "plenty of time" to buy these, not everyone was in a position where they could. A little warning from the band would have been nice.
If/when those ytsejam bootlegs are not officially sold anymore by the band, would assume they could be freely shared as with any other unofficial bootleg?

I would assume so.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2021, 10:05:07 AM »

While everyone had "plenty of time" to buy these, not everyone was in a position where they could. A little warning from the band would have been nice.

I don't disagree that some warning would have been nice.  But any lack of notice isn't on "the band."  As pointed out, they didn't control YJR.  That was a Portnoy thing.  So I would slightly modify what you wrote to say "a little notice from MP would have been nice."  That said, I'm fairly confident that he simply didn't see the need for any advance notice because there was probably zero traffic in recent months, if not years, to lead him to believe that anyone was still remotely interested in buying anything from there.  So while I don't really disagree with you, I also fully get why it happened as it did.

I would assume so.

Not necessarily.  Those are still official releases with content owned by YJR.  The fact that they are out of print and not being commercially sold doesn't alter that.  I get the argument for why folks would feel justified freely distributing it.  And if I'm not the administrator of this site and doing this for the band, I might very well make that argument myself.  But just the same, I can't really allow pirating of that material here.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2021, 10:11:59 AM »
there was probably zero traffic in recent months, if not years, to lead him to believe that anyone was still remotely interested in buying anything from there. 

The message on the website was amended to read "For questions on existing orders please contact us at ytsejaminfo@gmail.com," which in my mind at least signals that there are active orders in the system.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2021, 10:33:30 AM »

I would assume so.

Us Coheed and Cambria fans, had no warning they were shutting down their Transmission site, that they used so people whom bought the boxset, could download Descension and The Descension Demos. I downloaded it before, but found out later that they released the full demo of Gravity's Union, they originally released that demo unfinished, so had to reupload the full one. I didn't do that, and when I went to to that site one day, it was like a year I think since Descension was released, and came to find, it was gone. So I basically have a unique boxset.  :lol :lol

I didn't rip the tracks onto my Descension blank cd-r's, so those are blank.

there was probably zero traffic in recent months, if not years, to lead him to believe that anyone was still remotely interested in buying anything from there. 

The message on the website was amended to read "For questions on existing orders please contact us at ytsejaminfo@gmail.com," which in my mind at least signals that there are active orders in the system.

Yeah, I thought that as well. If people are so concerned. I would've sent an email to that address, and asked about at least.

But the site also does say "Ytsejam Records is taking a break, watch Dream Theater's social media acconts for things to come in the future!"
And yes, they didn't bother editing before posting... :lol

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2021, 10:38:23 AM »
Us Coheed and Cambria fans, had no warning they were shutting down their Transmission site, that they used so people whom bought the boxset, could download Descension and The Descension Demos. I downloaded it before, but found out later that they released the full demo of Gravity's Union, they originally released that demo unfinished, so had to reupload the full one. I didn't do that, and when I went to to that site one day, it was like a year I think since Descension was released, and came to find, it was gone. So I basically have a unique boxset.  :lol :lol

I didn't rip the tracks onto my Descension blank cd-r's, so those are blank.

Oooh, this is good to know.  I often throw around the idea of getting the deluxe set on Ebay if the price is right, but I've always wondered if I even could fill the Descension cd's anymore.  So now I know: make sure at least the demo cd is filled if I ever buy it on Ebay!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2021, 11:26:06 AM »

I don't disagree that some warning would have been nice.  But any lack of notice isn't on "the band."  As pointed out, they didn't control YJR.  That was a Portnoy thing.  So I would slightly modify what you wrote to say "a little notice from MP would have been nice." 

Portnoy has had nothing to do with it since he left the band. He's said so multiple times.

Prior to that it was solely his thing as far as compiling the releases. JP handled the business end with getting the CDs printed and pressed, also noted by MP.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2021, 11:32:16 AM »

Exactly the same with me. 

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2021, 12:51:07 PM »
I’m similar in that there was the odd thing I was going to get “one day” for completist sake but like I said, I’ve had more than 10 years to get around to it.  There’s no excuse that you couldn’t afford to get everything when you’ve had over 10 years.  Some of them are probably 15-20 years old, not sure how long YJR ran for but they’ve certainly not released anything new since MP left.

Luckily I got the WDADU bootleg last year.as that was something I thought about getting loads of times and finally bit the bullet.  I’ve not actually watched it though!

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2021, 01:33:07 PM »
There were one or two releases that I've been wanting to get, but they've been "out of stock" for, I think, literal years. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2021, 01:44:59 PM »
There were one or two releases that I've been wanting to get, but they've been "out of stock" for, I think, literal years.
Same with me.  I got the ones I "had to have".
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2021, 01:45:36 PM »
There’s no excuse that you couldn’t afford to get everything when you’ve had over 10 years.

Just stop.  This is the 2nd time you've said this.  Stop telling people how to collect or what their circumstances are.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2021, 01:53:21 PM »
There’s no excuse that you couldn’t afford to get everything when you’ve had over 10 years.

Just stop.  This is the 2nd time you've said this.  Stop telling people how to collect or what their circumstances are.

I agree. It took me 16 years to get the full collection. Granted, the last 8 or so was just because I didn't necessarily need to have those particular ones. There was still 8 years in which I wanted a bunch but could only justify spending 60 bucks here and 60 bucks there.

I've also been a fan since 2000. Not everybody has.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2021, 02:12:08 PM »
I will say though. I feel for you that are collectors.

Online HOF

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2021, 09:23:02 AM »
Speaking of things going away suddenly, I just tried to visit the old MP forum (which had existed in archive form since he closed it) and it looks like the archive is now gone as well.