Author Topic: Make a Dream Theater Mix CD  (Read 3806 times)

Offline jammindude

Make a Dream Theater Mix CD
« on: December 25, 2020, 12:41:00 PM »
I suppose this will be mostly for the old fogeys in the audience. LOL

But over the last couple of days I was chatting with a couple of newer friends. One was a musician (mostly newer punk) who had never heard of Dream Theater, and another guy who had only heard a few songs and loved them.

So I did something I absolutely LOVE doing.

“I’ll make you a tape.” - High Fidelity

I worked on getting just the right “flow” for literally hours. In fact, I put together some ideas the night before. So my brain literally labored over getting this perfect for almost 24hrs. But what I came up with made me so happy that I wanted to share it.

1. The Root of All Evil
2. Fatal Tragedy (edit)
3. Peruvian Skies
4. The Looking Glass
5. Wither
6. Misunderstood (edit)
7. Lifting Shadows Off a Dream (live from the ‘99 FC CD)
8. Barstool Warrior
9. Vacant
10. Stream of Consciousness
11. Wait for Sleep
12. Learning to Live

Total time - 79:03

The Fatal Tragedy edit is from a 3-track prerelease promo called “Selections from Scenes From a Memory”. The song itself is complete, but it just omits the “...alone at night” section at the beginning, and psychiatrists narrative at the end, so that the complete track just opens with the first chord, and ends on the final chord. It’s a much cleaner version as a stand alone track, and fits in better when you want to put it with other songs. It also shortens the length of the track to 6:11, which can be helpful if you’re bumping up against the 80 min mark.

Am I the only one who will labor for an entire day or more getting just the perfect “flow” of music on a mix?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

Re: Make a Dream Theater Mix CD
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2020, 01:24:11 PM »
This brings a lot of memories..even trying to make metal tapes back in the day for, well, special girls..I'll give it a shot, as I had many tapes made from friends of mine that introduced me to bands like Metallica, Nirvana, Megadeth, Slayer and of course DT!

1.In the Presence of Enemy Pt1
2.Caught in a Web
3.These Walls
4.Stream of Consciousness (Live at Budokan)
5. Hollow Years (Live at Budokan)
6.The Mirror/Lie
7.Peruvian Skies
8.About to Crash (reprise)/Losing Time (Score)

I guess this will fit on both sides of an old tape or tapes!..I tried to keep it short and sweet!   ;)

« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 01:34:06 PM by IgnotusPerIgnotium »

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2020, 02:09:48 PM »
Am I the only one who will labor for an entire day or more getting just the perfect “flow” of music on a mix?
You aren't the only one. A lot of us do this all the time participating in roulettes when we make EP's or Concept Albums.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2020, 02:10:46 PM »
Depends on what kind of style of music your friend likes.  Prog?  Melodic?  Pure Metal?

I'd labor for about 7-8 minutes over this, that's about it.  I made a playlist 10 years ago after they opened for Iron Maiden, and thought about what kind of (60-minute) setlist would/could/should they do if they ever had the opportunity to open for Rush:

Under A Glass Moon
Voices
Surrounded
A Fortune in Lies
The Way It Used to Be
Metropolis Pt. 1
Learning to Live
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2020, 02:35:48 PM »
I spent hours as a kid making mix tapes for friends I wanted to impress (sometimes worked) or girls I was hoping would fall for me (never worked - 14 year old girls tend not to love Pink Floyd's Animals, the uncultured swine). I pity the younger generation who are reduced to WhatsApping a Youtube link, there was something really personal and beautiful about the time, thought and effort that went in to making  a mix tape.

Anyway, as for a Dream Theater tape - I'm sorry this is so boring but I'd go with this:

A Change of Seasons
Octavarium
The Count of Tuscany
Breaking All Illusions

Comes to about 79:20, and to me it's the essence of the band. It's impossible to cram all of DT's greatness onto a single disc, it'd take around 4 discs just to cover their best songs, so I ask myself which songs I'd send to someone in order to show what they're all about. To me those 4 tracks do it.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 04:06:53 PM »
I always tend to do this. Not just with a single band either. I have playlists I make, that tend to flow extremely well. I don't know why, but I've tend to make them a cds length or a double albums length.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2020, 04:38:41 PM »
Unless your friends are already big fans of longer songs (10 minutes plus), avoid anything too long at first.  I find it is always better to ease someone into those kinds of songs rather than hitting them over the head with them right away.  I would also avoid any live stuff.

I think this could be a good starter CD:

Pull Me Under
Take the Time
Surrounded
The Silent Man
Peruvian Skies
Fatal Tragedy
The Spirit Carries On
Solitary Shell
As I Am
The Looking Glass
Our New World
Fall into the Light

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2020, 05:04:22 PM »
I've turned more people on to Dream Theater with the Octavarium album. Believe it or not,  the song Never Enough really grabbed their attention.  It's a fun song with a nice groove.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2020, 05:58:16 PM »
Iove making playlists. This is my single-CD sampler consisting of songs from the current incarnation of the band:

Dream Theater: NOW

Bridges in the Sky
Barstool Warrior
Our New World
At Wit's End
Chosed
The Gift of Music
S2n
Breaking All Illusions
Illumination Theory

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2020, 07:32:26 PM »
Iove making playlists. This is my single-CD sampler consisting of songs from the current incarnation of the band:

Bridges in the Sky
Barstool Warrior
Our New World
At Wit's End
Chosed
The Gift of Music
S2n
Breaking All Illusions
Illumination Theory
That's a great list.  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2020, 08:12:10 PM »
I spent hours as a kid making mix tapes for friends I wanted to impress (sometimes worked) or girls I was hoping would fall for me (never worked - 14 year old girls tend not to love Pink Floyd's Animals, the uncultured swine). I pity the younger generation who are reduced to WhatsApping a Youtube link, there was something really personal and beautiful about the time, thought and effort that went in to making  a mix tape.

Anyway, as for a Dream Theater tape - I'm sorry this is so boring but I'd go with this:

A Change of Seasons
Octavarium
The Count of Tuscany
Breaking All Illusions

Comes to about 79:20, and to me it's the essence of the band. It's impossible to cram all of DT's greatness onto a single disc, it'd take around 4 discs just to cover their best songs, so I ask myself which songs I'd send to someone in order to show what they're all about. To me those 4 tracks do it.
I'd do something similar, but instead of The Count of Tuscany and Breaking All Illusions, I'd do....

A Change of Seasons
Under A Glass Moon
Octavarium
In the Presence of Enemies (both parts)
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jammindude

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2020, 08:26:26 PM »

Bridges in the Sky
Barstool Warrior
Our New World
At Wit's End
Chosed
The Gift of Music
S2n
Breaking All Illusions
Illumination Theory

I agree, but probably would have sequenced it:

Bridges in the Sky
The Gift of Music
Barstool Warrior
Chosen
Breaking All Illusions
S2N
Our New World
At Wit’s End
Illumination Theory

Tastes vary, but I think I would enjoy that flow better. But I think I would also experiment with switching the first 2 back and forth to see which order I liked better.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2020, 08:31:42 PM »
If I were to do an “epic” disc, I would probably go with

A Change of Seasons
A Mind Beside Itself
Octavarium

In that order. That would run about 68:30ish.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2020, 10:06:20 PM »
The Glass Prison
6:00
Pull Me Under
Barstool Warrior
Hollow Years
Caught In A Web
Endless Sacrifice
Octavarium

I think that gives you a good sense of what DT are about, covering mostly their classic period, and even if they do or don't listen to longer songs, it's just tough to keep the lengths short IMO because so much of DT's best stuff averages longer than 5 minutes, and if you made it to the last track, you just might like 8vm, I think it's an easier epic to get into than the other ones, especially ACOS. The rest were picked based on how good I think they are but also tried to keep the song lengths shorter, have some variation in moods, but I wanted to make sure to include songs with awesome parts, awesome melodies, and try to cover a good range of their stuff and leave off stuff like SFAM songs because if they want to get into DT, that whole album will be sitting there for them, waiting for every note to be discovered. Obviously leave off WDADU and I'm always wary of focusing too much on newer stuff if a band has a bunch of albums. Are you gonna show a potential new Metallica fan a whole bunch of songs from Load, Reload, St Anger round my neck, Death Magnetic, Hardwired, or you gonna show them some of the best stuff from Ride the Lightning, Master, or Justice, and Black album?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2020, 11:23:10 PM »
I have a tough time stacking “openers”.

Lots of times I’ve sacrificed what I felt were far better songs for the sake of “I need a ‘3rd song’ type of song here. I’ve already got a killer opening song.”

For example. I actually think As I Am is the best possible “introduction” song. It’s easy to digest for a new fan. It’s great at getting the hook in. But in my case, I had already decided to set the mood with the slightly more brooding opening of TROAE. Once I did that, all other “opening” songs were off the table, which is why I settled on the Vacant/SOC representation. It “feels” like something that is near the end of an album, and sets you up for the epic finish.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2020, 12:32:39 AM »
I once tried introducing somebody to DT with the song As I Am,  and he said they sound too much like Metallica.

If I were to try to get someone into DT with a cd mix. That's a tough call because I really don't know where to start. Everyone has such different tastes in music, I'd have to make a different cd for each based on what I allready know
about them personally.
I'll do my best to make a universal list that could be accessible to any newcomer. I need to think about that for a while and I'll post later.   :justjen

Online Polarbear

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2020, 01:54:16 AM »
Dream Theater: Memories in Reverse

Mix CD:s or Best of packages don't make much nowadays, because everyone can make a best of list in Spotify with ease. Having said that, if they were to make a best of double CD, I think this would make a lot of sense. This is IMO a good vertical slice of the discography. And I went with the same concept as the final Rush tour, with the song list being somewhat of a reverse chronological journey through Dream Theater history.

CD:1

1. On The Backs of Angels
2. The Looking Glass
3. S2N
4. The Gift of Music
5. At Wit's End
6. Barstool Warrior
7. A Nightmare to Remember
8. Out of Reach
9. In The Presence of Enemies - Part II

CD:2

1. The Glass Prison
2. These Walls
3. Endless Sacrifice
4. Innocence Faded
5. Hollow Years
6. Fatal Tragedy
7. Metropolis–Part 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper
8. Under a Glass Moon
9. Pull Me Under
10. One Last Time
11. Afterlife

Edit: Kinda misunderstood what jammindude was going for with this thread, but this turned out pretty great regardless. ;D
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 02:42:03 AM by Polarbear »

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2020, 04:51:53 AM »

Bridges in the Sky
Barstool Warrior
Our New World
At Wit's End
Chosed
The Gift of Music
S2n
Breaking All Illusions
Illumination Theory

Bridges in the Sky
The Gift of Music
Barstool Warrior
Chosen
Breaking All Illusions
S2N
Our New World
At Wit’s End
Illumination Theory

Tastes vary, but I think I would enjoy that flow better. But I think I would also experiment with switching the first 2 back and forth to see which order I liked better.

This is almost the first sequence I made, but I found that listening to two songs with fake endings back to back disrupts the flow. So I started thinking of dividing the album into three acts.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2020, 05:22:16 AM »
Ha ha, yes I remember doing this for friends years ago.  You’d spend hours working out the perfect songs and almost without fail, when you ask the person what they thought of it, “uh, yeah it was ok”. You just knew they’d either not listened to it or never would again!  Great days!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2020, 05:58:43 AM »

Nope!

For whatever reason I've come to organize my compilations as setlists, rather than greatest hits. When I was going to work before Covid (now I'm at home) basically all my compilations were like setlists, as if the band of the compilation was playing a show, so I was planning the entire pace of the "show", encore included (yes, I put encores in my compilations). Much more fan and "challenging", if we see it as a musical hobby, than just throwing 15 random good songs in the folder and be done with it.

From time to time I even change things up with new albums, and change the old stuff to make room for songs I havent, ehr, "played live" in the previous "tour". Basically I'm the Mike Portnoy of setlists, only my setlists are imaginary and are oriented to the compilations I listen to  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2020, 09:31:43 AM »
How about this for a compilation of "short and accessible" songs?

1. Pull me under
2. Caught in a web
3. Hollow years
4. The Spirit carries on
5. Solitary shell
6. As I am
7. I walk beside you
8. Forsaken
9. Wither
10. On the backs of angels
11. The Looking glass
12. Our new world
13. Paralyzed

Offline jammindude

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2020, 12:33:18 PM »

Bridges in the Sky
Barstool Warrior
Our New World
At Wit's End
Chosed
The Gift of Music
S2n
Breaking All Illusions
Illumination Theory

Bridges in the Sky
The Gift of Music
Barstool Warrior
Chosen
Breaking All Illusions
S2N
Our New World
At Wit’s End
Illumination Theory

This is almost the first sequence I made, but I found that listening to two songs with fake endings back to back disrupts the flow. So I started thinking of dividing the album into three acts.

Good call actually. I was going off memory, so I hadn’t thought of that.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2020, 03:52:06 PM »
I made an iTunes playlist recently that I call “DT Hits”. It’s songs that I think are generally popular among the fan base (including outside this forum).  They also seem to be popular with the band and have been played live on multiple tours. It’s like an hour and a half so it wouldn’t fit on a single CD. But I don’t use CDs anymore so..

1. Pull Me Under
2. Metropolis Pt. 1
3. Lie
4. Peruvian Skies
5. Hollow Years
6. The Spirit Carries On
7. As I Am
8. The Dark Eternal Night
9. On The Backs of Angels
10. Breaking All Illusions
11. Barstool Warrior

I could have put Panic Attack here also but...I just don’t like it as much as these other songs.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online HOF

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2020, 05:54:02 PM »
Just threw together this two disc set:

Disc 1 (74 minutes)

1. Take the Time
2. Surrounded
3. Wait for Sleep
4. Learning to Live
5. 6:00
6. Innocence Faded
7. The Silent Man
8. Lifting Shadows off a Dream
9. Scarred
10. Space-Dye Vest
11. Hollow Years

Disc 2 (74 minutes)

1. Hell’s Kitchen
2. Lines in the Sand
3. Take Away My Pain
4. Trial of Tears
5. Overture 1928
6. Strange Deja Vu
7. The Dance of Eternity
8. A Change of Seasons

That covers 92% of the necessary DT catalog probably.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2020, 07:33:13 PM »
I think I'll try one again...Hmm...what theme should I go with, or what should I start with?

Whenever I usually do these things, It's conceived from a shuffle mix, when one DT song would go into the other. Or, when one of these types of threads pops up.

This should be fun... I did the shuffle and besides the first song being the cover of Won't Get Fooled Again ( :lol :lol), the next one was Take Away My Pain...So we'll see where this ends up at.

I worked on getting just the right “flow” for literally hours. In fact, I put together some ideas the night before. So my brain literally labored over getting this perfect for almost 24hrs. But what I came up with made me so happy that I wanted to share it.

I am about to do just this...

I want to also say, I only do these mixes for Dream Theater, and not other bands. I don't know why, maybe it's because I don't have enough songs/albums from them. :shrug: But, I will spend hours and days tweaking playlists I have in Itunes, and making them flow into each other, and listen to them with Crossfade on, it's great as it creates a continuous play sometimes. That's what I try to do, make it like one continuous piece or have a great flow with lows and highs, with the energy as well. I can go on and on about making mix's.  :lol
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 08:07:26 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2020, 10:02:53 PM »
Shuffle Mix (This is what shuffle decided to come up with starting with...TAMP):

1. Take Away My Pain (studio)
2. Behind The Veil
3. The Gift of Music
4. Under A Glass Moon
5. Status Seeker
6. I Walk Beside You
7. Scene Seven: l. The Dance of Eternity ( I guess a mix can't be complete without TDOE right... :lol)
8. The Mirror (w/Reprise)
10. Another Day
11. Disappear
12. Surrounded
13. A Change of Seasons

I am working on the one that is going to be a nice transition style album with good flow and it is turning out pretty cool...I will post it when I'm done with it. It's also done with Take Away My Pain being the starting point....

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2020, 12:09:37 AM »
I actually went through a lot of different variations of the songs in the #2 - #5 spots, and came to this final flow. These songs in these spots can really be interchanged. And at the last moment, I decided The Bigger Picture would be better placed before Stream of Consciousness and I'll explain why...

This is where I ended up taking this mix:

1. Take Away My Pain (Demo for time or else it'd be the Old Bridge, NJ Ytsejam version)
2. About To Crash (Just ignore the fade in the intro and just imagine it starting quiet with piano. I guess like in Score, but that is one track and not separate or else I might have used that  :biggrin: )
3. Barstool Warrior
4. A Better Life
5. Metropolis Pt.1: The Miracle and The Sleeper
6. Home (In order to keep it under 80 min. I had to use the GreateSt HIT edit) (If I use the full song, it is the Making of Scenes version, as it doesn't transition into The Dance of Eternity, and ends on a fade and makes for a cool transition into TROAE piano note)
7. The Root of All Evil
8. The Bigger Picture
9. Stream of Consciousness
10. Breaking All Illusions

1:18:58 ---- With CD Limit
1:26:53 ---- Without CD Limit

Bonus/Hidden Track: The Spirit Carries On

Playlist on Spotify:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6bW51BptOgCGpHODA1m61j?si=hN9okc-ZRZaODhUiHUioIQ

I am actually very, very proud of this one a lot. It flows good, and has a couple of "fan favorites" like Met. and BAI. Although my choices look odd on paper (words on screen), I think they actually transition into each other pretty well, give or take a few edits that could be done, but I can imagine them without it and those minor quibbles don't bother me much.

If you look at the lyrics in a really vague way, it could be a neat story. Starting about a person dealing with the death of a loved one(Take Away My Pain), as they are in the hospital with them. They develop a harsh depression(About to Crash), and then end up becoming a Barstool Warrior (like the people the song describes), and then come to realize where they belong. Upon realizing, they vow to the deceased loved one their promise to them (A Better Life), But as things turn out, life is hard and these past troubles return (in the last verse of Metropolis Pt.1, these lyrics describe what this person has to face, which is the eternal Third and Last Dance). As the demons begin to drown the person (Home) they struggle with themselves and their habits. as they find the key to unlock the dreams from their memories that cause these obsessions, stemming from the death of the loved one in TAMP. The person then is now "ready to let it all go" (The Root Of All Evil). Upon letting go they come to a realization they have to face it alone, and can only ask for guidance (The Bigger Picture). And while drifting in deep thought (Stream of Consciousness), they come to an understanding (Breaking All Illusions) as they come to "Unlearn to Learn" to "Embrace the days" and to "Don't turn away" as "Life's true intent needs patience" and that "Karma starts the signal". You can also add in The Spirit Carries on and make the ending more epic and have the character be happy his spirit will carry on... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :corn

(And when I was reading the lyrics to Metropolis. I noticed, we did get Metropolis Pt.3 with The Astonishing, with it being a theme involving love. And according to the lyrics in Metropolis Pt.1..."It can only take place when the struggle between our (our being Arhys, Ravenskill, and Nefaryus, TGNE) children (children being Xander and Faythe) has ended" and "The Third is Love"...   :heart :biggrin:)

TL;DR: This is my mix, and this is why I like making mixes/playlists, which began when I got a computer and started making mix cd's.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 01:00:15 AM by Ben_Jamin »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2020, 06:38:50 PM »
I love that playlist. A bit odd starting on a ballad, but I’m going to give that one a shot this weekend.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2020, 01:25:20 AM »
I made another playlist of Mangini-era songs, but unlike my first playlist which leans towards the  more prog side of DT, this is...METAL!

Dream Theater: Metal

False Awakening Suite
The Enemy Inside
Paralyzed
On The Backs of Angels
Three Days
Pale Blue Dot
This is the Life
Fally into the Light
Moment of Betrayal
The Bigger Picture
Behind the Veil
Outcry

1 hour 20 minutes

I also did my ultimate Dream Theater mix CD. If I have only one Dream Theater CD on hand, this would be it:

We Are Dream Theater

Metropolis Pt. 1 (basically defined the Dream Theater brand of prog metal. I remember when I first listened to this, I went WTF did I just hear?)
Peruvian Skies (a template of so many later DT songs with a slow deliberate guitar plucking first part then goes faster and heavier in the end like Endless Sacrifice, ITPOE Pt. 2)
Trial of Tears (captured Portnoy's drumming perfectly. actually a highlight song for all of the instrumentalists of the band)
Barstool Warrior (DT's music is strongly influenced by Rush and this is by far their best attempt to sound like Rush)
Scarred (Labrie's best vocal performance)
Surrounded (this song is what got me into DT, coming from the hair metal fandom)
At Wit's End (just perfect, Labrie's lyrics is so powerful and that outro guitar solo is to die for)
The Spirit Carries On (so much emotion in this one)
Breaking All Illusions (my favorite DT song)

1 hour 20 minutes

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2020, 10:03:06 AM »
I love that playlist. A bit odd starting on a ballad, but I’m going to give that one a shot this weekend.

Yeah. I just went to my itunes and went to Dream Theater and hit shuffle Dream Theater. I laughed my ass off, when out of all the songs it could've chosen, it decided to go with a cover song first.  :lol Then when I clicked next and saw, TAMP. I said hmm....Let me see what I could do with this song as the first song in the mix. Or else I would've mixed it all up, and came up with a different mix of songs entirely.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2020, 10:06:27 AM »
I made another playlist of Mangini-era songs, but unlike my first playlist which leans towards the  more prog side of DT, this is...METAL!

Dream Theater: Metal

False Awakening Suite
The Enemy Inside
Paralyzed
On The Backs of Angels
Three Days
Pale Blue Dot
This is the Life
Fally into the Light
Moment of Betrayal
The Bigger Picture
Behind the Veil
Outcry

1 hour 20 minutes

I also did my ultimate Dream Theater mix CD. If I have only one Dream Theater CD on hand, this would be it:

We Are Dream Theater

Metropolis Pt. 1 (basically defined the Dream Theater brand of prog metal. I remember when I first listened to this, I went WTF did I just hear?)
Peruvian Skies (a template of so many later DT songs with a slow deliberate guitar plucking first part then goes faster and heavier in the end like Endless Sacrifice, ITPOE Pt. 2)
Trial of Tears (captured Portnoy's drumming perfectly. actually a highlight song for all of the instrumentalists of the band)
Barstool Warrior (DT's music is strongly influenced by Rush and this is by far their best attempt to sound like Rush)
Scarred (Labrie's best vocal performance)
Surrounded (this song is what got me into DT, coming from the hair metal fandom)
At Wit's End (just perfect, Labrie's lyrics is so powerful and that outro guitar solo is to die for)
The Spirit Carries On (so much emotion in this one)
Breaking All Illusions (my favorite DT song)

1 hour 20 minutes

I like your "We Are Dream Theater mix" Great choices of songs. I would've put Trial of Tears after TSCO, but it still flows great where it's at.  :tup

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2020, 04:27:30 AM »
1: Pull Me Under (8:14)
2: The Looking Glass (4:53)
3: Constant Motion (6:55)
4: Peruvian Skies (6:43)
5: These Walls (7:36)
6: S2N (6:21)
7: Caught in a Web (5:28)
8: The Spirit Carries On (6:38)
9: Breaking All Illusions (12:25)

Total Runtime: 65:13
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Skeever

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2020, 01:15:00 PM »
I did this awhile ago, but it's more like a double album, since I set myself a 3 hour limit...

1. Pull Me Under
2. Learning to Live
3. Voices
4. Hell's Kitchen
5. Lines in the Sand
6. The Spirit Carries On
7. A Change of Seasons (Live Scenes)
8. The Glass Prison
9. Disappear
10. As I Am
11. Octavarium
12. Hollow Years (Live at Budokan)
13. Bridges in the Sky
14. At Wit's End

Offline adastra

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2021, 06:06:15 AM »
When I was kid, I used to make my own Dream Theater Mix CD´s to listen to.
I guess I made like 3 of them and it was crucial that the whole 74 or 80 mins on the CD would be used.
If I´d make a Mixtape now, it would look something like this.

1. The Glass Prison (13:52)
2. I Walk Beside You  (4:29)
3. Take Away My Pain (6:03)
4. Just Let Me Breathe (5:28)
5. Vacant (2:58)
6. Stream Of Consciousness (11:16)
7. Out Of Reach (4:04)
8. Scarred (11:00)

That a little bit less than hour and has heavy and mellow songs.
I LOVE IT!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline JLa

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2021, 03:25:27 PM »
I'd just get him a copy of I&W and SFAM. If he doesn't like any of that, well, DT is likely not for him.