Author Topic: Distance Over Time - TWO Years on...  (Read 30908 times)

Online billboy73

Re: Distance Over Time - TWO Years on...
« Reply #315 on: June 18, 2021, 02:36:58 PM »
Gave D/T a good listen for the first time in 6 months or so, and I still think it is one of their most consistent albums.  No super highs or big lows for me, but everything is solid.  That is not a bad thing.  I remember when I first picked it up, I would have liked a longer, proggy track on it, but that doesn't bother me much now.  It is definitely my favorite of the MM era, and a nice rebound after the bloated Astonishing. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #316 on: June 18, 2021, 08:53:26 PM »
I did this as well. At Wit's End is still awesome. I had this feeling it would have fit well on Awake (I love Awake so I consider that high praise). I knew Fall into the Light was solid, but it ratcheted up a few notches up this listen. That could be Top 25 material for me. A great song that doesn't try to be more than it should be, unlike many of DT's songs since 8VM.

The rest of that album was what I thought it was. My initial opinions haven't changed. Paralyzed and Barstool Warrior are good songs, but don't quite reach the upper echelon of their material. Pale Blue Dot should be much better than it is. Out of Reach is a nice tune. Untethered Angel is alright. S2N and R137 would be cutting room floor material from FII.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Trav86

« Reply #317 on: June 19, 2021, 11:36:21 AM »
It’s a good album.  Some songs are awesome; Fall Into the Light, Barstool Warrior, At Wit’s End, Out of Reach.  Untethered Angel, Paralyzed, Room 137, and Viper King seem like they were thrown together in the same afternoon. They’re not bad though.  S2N and Pale Blue Dot both feel like they’re reaching farther than can achieve. 

Overall, it’s enjoyable. I think it shows a lot of potential for the next album. And considering it’s their 14th album, 30 years into their career, they should be quite proud. And for what it’s worth, as a 20 year long fan, I’m quite proud of them as well.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: June 24, 2021, 11:41:06 AM »

Overall, it’s enjoyable. I think it shows a lot of potential for the next album. And considering it’s their 14th album, 30 years into their career, they should be quite proud. And for what it’s worth, as a 20 year long fan, I’m quite proud of them as well.

I'll echo that as well as an almost 30-YR fan... I'm proud of them and I'm stoked that they're still making music!  I have no problem at all being 41 and still headbanging like I'm 21.  :biggrin:

This thread being the impetus, I put on D/T while working outdoors a few days ago and the same thing that always happens happened... once I start listening to it, I can't stop.  That's a good thing I guess.  PBD, AWE, and FITL are highlights for me; I find myself restarting/re-listening to AWE two and three times in a row.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #319 on: June 25, 2021, 01:14:39 AM »
Coming back to this album, i think what i love the most is Mike's drumming. He's such a tasteful player and so unique and it really tickles my ears and brain.
Still feel like Barstool Warrior is one of the best songs DT have written after 2000, could use a better title though  :lol

Offline darkshade

« Reply #320 on: June 25, 2021, 04:09:41 PM »
Coming back to this album, i think what i love the most is Mike's drumming. He's such a tasteful player and so unique and it really tickles my ears and brain.
Still feel like Barstool Warrior is one of the best songs DT have written after 2000, could use a better title though  :lol

My main gripe with BW is the name. It sounds like a working title, similar to 'The Shaman's Trance'.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #321 on: June 25, 2021, 04:25:16 PM »

My main gripe with BW is the name. It sounds like a working title, similar to 'The Shaman's Trance'.

I agree guys.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online nick_z

« Reply #322 on: June 25, 2021, 05:13:16 PM »

I agree guys.

So true  ;D In fact, when the tracklist for D/T came out, I was positive that was a working title. I guess they were going for a Fish-era Marillion vibe with that too...

Offline BlacklistJones

« Reply #323 on: July 28, 2021, 10:26:24 AM »
• How did you feel about it two years ago?

Very excited, as I always am for a Dream Theater. I've been a fan since I was 5, and they have always been a major connection between my brother and I. A tradition, in terms of album releases, seeing them in concert, etc. - so naturally, as it is tradition, it was a big deal for me.

• How do you feel about it now?

Most of the album maintains its rotation. There are a few songs that have since fallen off the radar, like with any album, that just didn't age well for my ears (Pale Blue Dot, Out of Reach, Untethered Angel). I remember when the initial tracklisting came out and being weary about a song called "Barstool Warrior". Ironically, for me, it turned out to be the best track on the album and one that is most definitely still in rotation two-years on.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #324 on: July 28, 2021, 05:00:00 PM »
I can still get into the first 4 songs, but it drops off fast from there.  I've given the latter 2/3rds of the album a try plenty of times, but they're just not catchy songs.

Barstool Warrior is one of their best of the Mangini era, and Fall into the Light is not far behind.  Paralyzed is a cool little changeup from what they normally do--not too complex.  Untethered Angel is good, but it sounds too much like a paint by number DT song that they've released 8 times before.  The rest of the album just seems to me to be too much un-focused noodling and filler.

I really feel like DT would benefit from hiring an outside producer, but Petrucci has made it pretty clear that they don't want to do that.  Their best albums are their early albums, and I think they all benefited from having an outside producer preventing them from getting too much groupthink and cutting down on excessive musical wankery.  Nothing wrong with wankery per se, as DT is the best band in the world at it, but sometimes there's just too much.  Focus on composing songs.  DT 12 was headed in the right direction with this, but the second half of DOT reverted back to the unfocused noodling.

I really liked The Astonishing--it was a refreshing change of pace, and it is really aging well with me.  Too much of their other stuff for the last 15 years has been the same prog jam, remixed 12 different ways.  I hope this new album offers up some new creative ideas.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #325 on: July 30, 2021, 12:57:15 PM »
Just out of curiosity I was searching in which order they composed the songs.  So far I've found the following,

Song 1 AWE
Song 2 PAR
Song 4 UA
Song 6 FITL
Song 8 VK
Song 10 S2N

Does anybody knows when the other songs were written?

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #326 on: July 30, 2021, 03:04:31 PM »
Just out of curiosity I was searching in which order they composed the songs.  So far I've found the following,

Song 1 AWE
Song 2 PAR
Song 4 UA
Song 6 FITL
Song 8 VK
Song 10 S2N

Does anybody knows when the other songs were written?
AWE is quite an intense song to start with.  They must have been on fire, ready to go. :metal

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #327 on: July 30, 2021, 09:57:47 PM »
I can still get into the first 4 songs, but it drops off fast from there.  I've given the latter 2/3rds of the album a try plenty of times, but they're just not catchy songs.

Barstool Warrior is one of their best of the Mangini era, and Fall into the Light is not far behind.  Paralyzed is a cool little changeup from what they normally do--not too complex.  Untethered Angel is good, but it sounds too much like a paint by number DT song that they've released 8 times before.  The rest of the album just seems to me to be too much un-focused noodling and filler.

See, this is where DT are so great, with so many differing opinions on their material. I'm almost the opposite - loving the back half of D/T the most. The beginning of the album starts a bit "standard" for me, then Fall into the light and Barstool Warrior are a brilliant 1-2 punch of what I love about the band. Room 137 is a little like the first couple of tracks for me - fine, but nothing I have a constant urge to revisit frequently. From there, it just keeps getting stronger for me. S2N is a ripper, At Wits End is one of their finest songs full of great lyrics and emotion and Out of Reach is not only underrated, I feel for me, it could be the finest ballad the band have done. I love that song. Pale Blue Dot also closes the album out with a bang, and is another of my faves. For some reason, I've always felt that song would sound more complete, if the outro included some of the samples of the astronauts that feature at the start of the song. but that's minor. Viper King I don't really include, as its a bonus track and for me doesn't fit the album feel and is exactly that - a cool little extra bonus.

In any case, it's an album I really enjoyed on release, and still really enjoy to this day, revisiting many of the songs frequently. To me, every album - not just DT's discography, but every album in existence - have tracks I don't revisit. But this is a great album overall. Being a longtime fan from the early days, I really have enjoyed the MM era albums more than many. I prefer his drumming and feel and find I revisit these albums a lot. And D/T is no exception.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #328 on: July 31, 2021, 07:33:20 PM »
Distance imo is a "good" album, but certainly NOT one of their best.

Hello Stadler!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #329 on: August 02, 2021, 01:21:20 PM »
I call it a safe album, nothing overly controversial, there are some good moments, but I'm left feeling like they could have done more with it.
I think Barstool Warrior and At Wit's End are the only two 'classics' from this album, and I find little fault in those songs. S2N and Viper King are fun songs, too fun to dislike, but the compositions are choppy. The rest sounds like old ground covered, influences on sleeve (first 3 tracks), a not very good song imo (Room 137) or incomplete (PBD)

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #330 on: August 02, 2021, 02:13:17 PM »
I call it a safe album, nothing overly controversial, there are some good moments, but I'm left feeling like they could have done more with it.

EXACTLY!