Author Topic: Distance Over Time - TWO Years on...  (Read 30912 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: Distance Over Time - TWO Years on...
« Reply #280 on: April 18, 2021, 11:43:00 AM »
I'm listening to it for the first time today, and I'm going to be honest: I'm not a fan. I have not really loved a DT album since Systematic Chaos and I have kind of disliked the albums from the self-titled onward, and unfortunately this has not been any different. It's so overly aggressive that it never really feels like you get time to breathe or even think about what you're listening to.

Also I miss proggy DT, like on BCSL or Octavarium. Fuck. /rant

You're not alone.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #281 on: April 18, 2021, 12:52:31 PM »
So has "LTE = the good DT" already started?  :lol

Who would have guessed?  :biggrin:
That's not what I meant by my post. But I will say this: listening to the new LTE definitely feels like a continuation of where they left off in 1998. And it also gives me the same feeling as listening to all the DT from SDoIT on back. So having just finishing that album, it's not hard to imagine that some of that experience may rub off on the new DT.  ;)

And can the miracle happen without the saint?

Fear not...Petrucci, the band's MVP since the start, will be there. :metal :metal

Apparently his powers are only manifested when in contact with superior forces.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #282 on: April 18, 2021, 02:27:14 PM »

That's not what I meant by my post. But I will say this: listening to the new LTE definitely feels like a continuation of where they left off in 1998. And it also gives me the same feeling as listening to all the DT from SDoIT on back. So having just finishing that album, it's not hard to imagine that some of that experience may rub off on the new DT.  ;)

Fear not...Petrucci, the band's MVP since the start, will be there. :metal :metal

Rudess will be there as well, so no worries.  :hat :hat

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #283 on: April 18, 2021, 07:05:04 PM »
Back to D/T  (old schooler here) 
SIDE ONE   Untethered Angel / Paralyzed / Fall Into The Light / Barstool Warrior
SIDE TWO  Room 137 / At Wit’s End / Out Of Reach / Viper King / Pale Blue Dot

Fits onto ye ancient 60 minute cassette for a garage boombox (the CD played doesn't read cdrs).  And I just like the overall flow
(no offense intended whatsoever to S2N).  It still gets multiple plays monthly.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline NoFred

« Reply #284 on: April 18, 2021, 10:15:06 PM »

And just maybe, slightly untethered Rudess. Didn’t realize that might be a thing until LTE3. Looking forward to this most due to his excitement

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #285 on: April 19, 2021, 12:25:13 AM »

Nice answer.  :lol

But OK.

We await DT back on the path of the virtuous.   :angel:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: April 19, 2021, 01:43:51 AM »
If you mean MP will rejoin Dream theater - that's not going to happen.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #287 on: April 19, 2021, 06:37:20 AM »
It's definitely not.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #288 on: April 19, 2021, 07:21:03 AM »
I find it very ironic that many people view MP working with JP on both his solo album and LTE somehow means that an MP reunion with DT is on the cards soon... when it's probably the opposite. Not only did Portnoy already have an outlet for progressive metal type music before this time (which feels like it's eased the resentment on his end), but now he's able to interact with one of his best musical friends on both of their terms in a low pressure environment. We have to remember that this is a guy who's always itching to do different projects and not work within the limitations of a normal full-time schedule.

He has The Neal Morse Band, Sons of Apollo, Flying Colors, Transatlantic, Metal Allegiance, The Winery Dogs, John Petrucci's solo stuff (in regards to recent collaboration, not necessarily that it'll be ongoing) and Liquid Tension Experiment. I doubt he has the same pull towards DT that he may have done in like that 2011-2014 period because of this and Dream Theater are doing perfectly fine, both in terms of chemistry and relevance, for not having him. It's been 10 years, MM is fixed in the band with what seems like no inner drama whatsoever and is more inseparable with each album cycle. His continued presence is likely a far more assured thing now than it was during the cycle of ADToE.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #289 on: April 19, 2021, 07:25:44 AM »
I find it very ironic that many people view MP working with JP on both his solo album and LTE somehow means that an MP reunion with DT is on the cards soon... when it's probably the opposite. Not only did Portnoy already have an outlet for progressive metal type music before this time (which feels like it's eased the resentment on his end), but now he's able to interact with one of his best musical friends on both of their terms in a low pressure environment. We have to remember that this is a guy who's always itching to do different projects and not work within the limitations of a normal full-time schedule.

He has The Neal Morse Band, Sons of Apollo, Flying Colors, Transatlantic, Metal Allegiance, The Winery Dogs, John Petrucci's solo stuff (in regards to recent collaboration, not necessarily that it'll be ongoing) and Liquid Tension Experiment. I doubt he has the same pull towards DT that he may have done in like that 2011-2014 period because of this and Dream Theater are doing perfectly fine, both in terms of chemistry and relevance, for not having him. It's been 10 years, MM is fixed in the band with what seems like no inner drama whatsoever and is more inseparable with each album cycle. His continued presence is likely a far more assured thing now than it was during the cycle of ADToE.

Word. :tup
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #290 on: April 19, 2021, 12:02:14 PM »

Oh no, I didn't mean that.

Things will continue as they have been. Internally and externally.

Offline RAIN

« Reply #291 on: April 20, 2021, 08:43:58 AM »
• How did you feel about it two years ago ?
On it's own, it's a pretty solid album.  And by far my favourite of the MM era.  And after the horrific Astonishing, it was a monumentally better album. 

• How do you feel about it now ?
Given that I've been listening to it alot these past two weeks, coincidentally, I feel the same as two years ago.  The best MM era album, and the best sounding, all around pretty solid.  It's great.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 09:22:04 AM by RAIN »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #292 on: April 20, 2021, 09:38:00 AM »
Revisited the album and reminded me how much I enjoy S2N and At Wind's End. Those are killer tracks and I hope both of them are included in future setlists. Love the Rush vibe on S2N and AWE sounds like a FII era song to me. Love that vibe as well.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #293 on: April 20, 2021, 10:04:35 AM »
Revisited the album and reminded me how much I enjoy S2N and At Wind's End. Those are killer tracks and I hope both of them are included in future setlists.

I think AWE could potentially replace BAI as the "classic" MM era epic that closes set 1 in future tour setlists.

As for S2N, it definitely needs to be played live, along with STR :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: April 20, 2021, 12:21:34 PM »
Because I tend to listen to new albums a lot when they first come out and then barely again after that - Distance Over Time still feels new to me

so when DT15 comes out it will seem like barely any time has passed.

I try to do that with all my fave bands. I feel like Emperor Of Sand just came out last year.

It makes the wait easier when you're not listening to the most recent album constantly or on their website every day looking for news.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #295 on: April 20, 2021, 01:44:30 PM »
Because I tend to listen to new albums a lot when they first come out and then barely again after that - Distance Over Time still feels new to me

so when DT15 comes out it will seem like barely any time has passed.

I try to do that with all my fave bands. I feel like Emperor Of Sand just came out last year.

It makes the wait easier when you're not listening to the most recent album constantly or on their website every day looking for news.

I'm usually the opposite, when Untethered Angel was first released I played the crap out of it because I was so excited about the new album :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #296 on: April 21, 2021, 12:38:52 PM »
I stopped listening to pre-release singles a long time ago.  I am not a fan of the trend to release a handful of tracks in the months leading up to the album's official release date.  If you listen to those tracks for 3 months, when the album finally does come out, it's like you're only getting half a new album because you already know 3 or 4 of the album's tracks from the pre-release singles.  I found that it really diminished my personal "new album experience."

I really prefer to hear a new album all at one time. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #297 on: April 21, 2021, 12:41:25 PM »
I will generally allow myself ONE listen to a prerelease single.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: April 21, 2021, 01:04:28 PM »
I stopped listening to pre-release singles a long time ago.  I am not a fan of the trend to release a handful of tracks in the months leading up to the album's official release date.  If you listen to those tracks for 3 months, when the album finally does come out, it's like you're only getting half a new album because you already know 3 or 4 of the album's tracks from the pre-release singles.  I found that it really diminished my personal "new album experience."

Like when we heard A Rite of Passage and Wither a long time before Black Clouds came out. that's literally 33% of the album you've heard already. And only FOUR songs would be new.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #299 on: April 21, 2021, 01:27:50 PM »

I'm quoting you, primarily because you release new music, and there has to be some strategy to it, and some "give and take" in terms of what gets released when, but I stopped listening because it turned out that I didn't feel I was getting a good look at the final project with the prereleased stuff.   I found I HATED the prereleased stuff and it was coloring my enjoyment of the real record when it came out.  I remember hearing Tattoo by Van Halen and thinking "WOW does that blow".  I wasn't going to buy the album, then - not kidding - my OCD kicked in and I bought it.  It was my album of the year that year, and now it's my second favorite VH record, and I even LIKE Tattoo in the context of the album.  Same with DT15.  Arc Of Life (the Yes offshoot); I heard the first track on a YouTube video and it SUCKED.  HARD.   I got the album in early form to do a review, and in the context of the album it was really good, and I ended up loving the record.    There are a couple others.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #300 on: April 21, 2021, 03:34:52 PM »

Like when we heard A Rite of Passage and Wither a long time before Black Clouds came out. that's literally 33% of the album you've heard already. And only FOUR songs would be new.

If you go by track number and not total music time...

Doesn't matter how many tracks for me. As long as it's a good length that doesn't feel too short or too long, and sometimes long albums tend to feel short, and short albums sometimes tend to drag. (Haken - Virus is an example of a short album that drags)

I'm quoting you, primarily because you release new music, and there has to be some strategy to it, and some "give and take" in terms of what gets released when, but I stopped listening because it turned out that I didn't feel I was getting a good look at the final project with the prereleased stuff.   I found I HATED the prereleased stuff and it was coloring my enjoyment of the real record when it came out.  I remember hearing Tattoo by Van Halen and thinking "WOW does that blow".  I wasn't going to buy the album, then - not kidding - my OCD kicked in and I bought it.  It was my album of the year that year, and now it's my second favorite VH record, and I even LIKE Tattoo in the context of the album.  Same with DT15.  Arc Of Life (the Yes offshoot); I heard the first track on a YouTube video and it SUCKED.  HARD.   I got the album in early form to do a review, and in the context of the album it was really good, and I ended up loving the record.    There are a couple others.

I hear ya. It's why I will listen to album regardless if I heard the released songs or not. It's good to hear a new song, but also, I try not to over do it before the album comes out.

But then, I end up not listening to the album for a while anyways, and to the songs that were released, so when I do come back to the album, it sounds a bit fresh. But that's not like until way later, like, 2 years.  :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #301 on: April 21, 2021, 04:27:20 PM »
Yeah that's the thing, I don't tend to mind listening to some pre-release singles because I only tend to listen about once or twice, so it's still pretty fresh in my mind by the time the full album releases. Plus, I find that if you come back to it after a while, it begins to slot in even smoother.

And yeah, Wither and ARoP are less than 20% of the album, so it's still fine in that case imo. While Black Clouds only has 6 songs as well, it's worth noting that the longer ones pretty much have the content of multiple songs (TBoT has two different sections with different choruses, ANtR has the Beautiful Agony section, The Shattered Fortress has 3 parts and TCoT has a different vibe for everything from the spacey break onwards). With how they structure the longer songs as multi-part suites, Black Clouds has more of the feeling of an 11 song album than a 6 song one for that reason. If they pulled an Altered State and split all of those suite structures up into tracks, that's probably what it would've looked like.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #302 on: May 08, 2021, 06:42:03 PM »

Words to live by. Makes for a much more rewarding listening experience for me.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #303 on: May 13, 2021, 02:05:57 PM »
New drum playthrough for Untethered Angel by Mike Mangini :metal :metal :metal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI2B9q8yFjU

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #304 on: May 13, 2021, 04:19:32 PM »
Wow. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #305 on: May 14, 2021, 12:48:18 AM »
So happy that Mike has started doing these videos. I think it gives a new appreciation of the way he plays the instrument.

Another new video with Mike
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2GF2D2Eu98
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 04:33:26 AM by nikatapi »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #306 on: May 14, 2021, 07:08:58 AM »
So happy that Mike has started doing these videos. I think it gives a new appreciation of the way he plays the instrument.

Holy crap! As much as I dislike Mike's setup, can't deny that the guy is a monster player. The kit sounds gorgeous. Still baffled at the drumsound that was used for DT12. Really wish they made the drums sound more natural. Maybe DT12 is  DT's "Vapor Trails" and could be remixed sometime in the future (WWRD).

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #307 on: May 14, 2021, 07:45:52 AM »

Holy crap! As much as I dislike Mike's setup, can't deny that the guy is a monster player. The kit sounds gorgeous. Still baffled at the drumsound that was used for DT12. Really wish they made the drums sound more natural. Maybe DT12 is  DT's "Vapor Trails" and could be remixed sometime in the future (WWRD).

Yeah i think both ADTOE and DT12 have significant sonic issues, at least DoT was a great sounding album compared to them, and i'm hoping the improvements will continue for the upcoming album.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #308 on: May 14, 2021, 12:08:46 PM »

Finally! Thank's, I'll watch it!
Mike playing Untethered Angel in his studio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI2B9q8yFjU
Talk about well thought drums parts! :metal :hefdaddy
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #309 on: June 09, 2021, 03:27:51 PM »
As for the D/T discussion, I still love it, as almost everything done by the band, though I'm still not able to properly rank it among the other albums (it's at the top half for sure, tho). The only thing that it's missing imo are longer songs/epics. I like the shorter/no-nonsense song format they've been doing for a while now, but longer songs don't just have to be a 5 minute song with other 5 minutes of instrumental wanking in it. I've been in a big Neal Morse/Transatlantic epic mood lately, where I'm mostly listening to the 20 or 30 minute epics while going out for walks and there's just so much you can do with song structures in lenghty epics in prog rock/metal, and DT can do that well. I'm hoping for some of that on DT15.

Could have been my own reaction. I listen to the full album at least each month, but still I’m unable to compare it with the others. Althought to me it is getting better over time. And performed live was an incredible experience. They still are at top of there genre. To me, Dream Theater is 95% of all music I listen.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline nick_z

« Reply #310 on: June 10, 2021, 11:53:23 AM »
Just revisited D/T after a little while. Happy to report I still enjoy it very much.

Not reinventing the wheel, obviously, but it does sound like there was a bit more fun/spontaneity in the writing and performances. Fall into the Light, Barstool Warrior, S2N and At Wit's End are really strong songs (the latter two fighting for my favorite's spot on the album). Paralyzed is a good, single-like catchy tune (in my opinion better than, say, Forsaken - to mention something in a similar vein), and I particularly like Jordan's work in the chorus. Untethered Angel is a very good opener (and its guitar-keys harmonized run is kinda refreshing) and Out of Reach is a pleasant ballad.

Not too crazy about Room 137 - it's an interesting experiment between the grooviness and the Beatlesque vocal effects, but I'm not 100% sold...and Pale Blue Dot, while instrumentally impressive, didn't quite stick with me.

All in all, I'd currently place it second in my personal MM's era album ranking:

DT12
Distance over Time
A Dramatic Turn of Events
The Astonishing

...although the ranking does sometimes switch with ADTOE. Also note I actually enjoy The Astonishing...I just find I don't go back to it quite as often.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #311 on: June 10, 2021, 01:30:43 PM »
All in all, I'd currently place it second in my personal MM's era album ranking:

DT12
Distance over Time
A Dramatic Turn of Events
The Astonishing

To me, A Dramatic Turn of Events and DT12 are much, much better then both The Astonishing and Distance over Time. But I have to admit both ADToE and DT12 will be in my top 10 overall.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #312 on: June 10, 2021, 01:44:35 PM »
I put D/T at #3 or #4 in the Mangini era.  But that isn't a knock on the album at all.  I love it.  I just love those others more.  ADTOE and DT12 are my #3 and #4 overall (behind Six Degrees and SFAM), and it'll take a lot to top them.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #313 on: June 11, 2021, 08:30:11 AM »
I put D/T at #3 or #4 in the Mangini era.  But that isn't a knock on the album at all.  I love it.  I just love those others more. 
Same for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #314 on: June 11, 2021, 09:17:20 AM »
I think DT12 is a great album. I think, if the mix wasn't a bit weird, the album would be more appreciated. Strangely the isolated drums don't sound so bad as in the album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oA7sj_NVik
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)