Author Topic: Distance Over Time - TWO Years on...  (Read 30894 times)

Offline lovethedrake

Re: Distance Over Time - TWO Years on...
« Reply #210 on: February 18, 2021, 07:39:29 AM »
ADTOE is the only DT album I can never make it through all the way.

For me it’s breaking all illusions and one part on lost not forgotten,  the rest is throwaway. 

D/T.... still loving it.   I don’t like Room 137 and don’t love untethered angel but the rest of the album is very good to great.

IMO At Wits End is the closest thing to a top 10 DT song since 6DOIT.

When ADTOE first came out I kind of liked it because it was less metal but it’s aged poorly.  Sounds totally lifeless.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #211 on: February 18, 2021, 08:56:10 AM »
ADTOE is the best album since Octavarium, but doesn't come close to the magic of the band's first 8 albums.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #212 on: February 18, 2021, 09:42:49 AM »
All i can say about ADTOE is being a fan since 97.  i really felt the rot setting in with SC and BC&SL.  i cannot like those any less than i already do.

so ADTOE may not be new or ground breaking, but i heard a band able to breathe again.  and too follow that up with DT12 just made me fall in love with DT all over again.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: February 18, 2021, 09:55:34 AM »
For me - Distance Over Time fully recaptured the "magic" of the Scenes From A Memory to Octavarium era of Dream Theater.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #214 on: February 18, 2021, 02:56:49 PM »
ADTOE is the best album since Octavarium, but doesn't come close to the magic of the band's first 8 albums.
For me, it's easily better than at least 3 of those first 8 (WDADU, FII, and 8VM), as are the other 3 MM albums.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #215 on: February 18, 2021, 11:29:13 PM »
For me, it's easily better than at least 3 of those first 8 (WDADU, FII, and 8VM), as are the other 3 MM albums.

plus ToT.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #216 on: February 19, 2021, 09:16:42 AM »
Have to go with a hard disagree on that one, minus WDADU. I can listen to 8vm and most of FII any day, whereas I have to psyche myself into listening to most Mangini era DT. TOT is way better than all 4 Mangini albums.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #217 on: February 19, 2021, 10:43:46 AM »
I really Don't like WDADU at all.  but starting to Images and hoing all the way to Octavarium.  all gold to me.  the last two portnoy albums i can't stand.  those make me angry, lol

i've loved the Mangini era myself.  taking out TA which is a big steaming pile of mediocrity.  but the rest.

ADTOE-weak production.....but i still i love it.

DT12-ADORE!!!!! since day 1.  it's top 3 DT for me.

DoT-took me a while to come around.  but another great one.  give or take a song or two.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #218 on: February 21, 2021, 05:09:08 AM »
Have to go with a hard disagree on that one, minus WDADU. I can listen to 8vm and most of FII any day, whereas I have to psyche myself into listening to most Mangini era DT. TOT is way better than all 4 Mangini albums.

Yeah, I have to agree.  Train of Thought is easily superior to at least 3 of the Mangini era albums. (S/T, The Astonishing and Distance over Time)  I put it on about the same level as ADTOE, which I think is quite a bit more solid than at least 3 and possibly 4 of the Portnoy era albums.  In fact I still find ADTOE to be the best Mangini era album and it's not even close. 

Offline darkshade

« Reply #219 on: February 22, 2021, 07:55:14 AM »
I don't know, I have a soft spot for BC&SL. It has its flaws, but it also has its charms. Same can be said for SC, except I think THAT is the album where they flipped the script and took a detour, never to find their way back to the main route except on the follow-up. The last two songs on BC&SL are some of the best songs musically that they've put out since Octavarium, or ever.
Once Portnoy left, the best moments are still lacking something, seem undercooked, such as on ADTOE or DoT, retreading old ground, such as on ADTOE, DT12, or DoT, or taking a known risk with making the Aladdin & The Return of Jafar's Beauty & The Beast soundtrack, I mean, The Astonishing.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: February 22, 2021, 01:44:51 PM »
I like BC&SL quite a bit.  For the Portnoy era of the group it was a definite step up from what came before it.    Every track on that album is either good or great.   The lyrics to The Count of Tuscany are, um, well, the music is quite good  :)    But other than those lyrics I don't really have any issues with that album. And since I prefer the longer songs I would have been a happy camper if Dream Theater always put at least one or two epics on their albums.  I can't get enough of the epics.  Love all of them, except Illumination Theory which they utterly destroyed by putting that completely out of place classical section in it.  I have no idea WTF they were thinking when they did that.  It ruined an otherwise decent song.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #221 on: February 22, 2021, 02:17:40 PM »
I like BC&SL quite a bit.  For the Portnoy era of the group it was a definite step up from what came before it.    Every track on that album is either good or great.   The lyrics to The Count of Tuscany are, um, well, the music is quite good  :)    But other than those lyrics I don't really have any issues with that album. And since I prefer the longer songs I would have been a happy camper if Dream Theater always put at least one or two epics on their albums.  I can't get enough of the epics.  Love all of them, except Illumination Theory which they utterly destroyed by putting that completely out of place classical section in it.  I have no idea WTF they were thinking when they did that.  It ruined an otherwise decent song.

That Instrumental is integral for the overall concept of the song. That instrumental represents the warming Embrace of the Light, it is called "The Embracing Circle" for this reason. It's "The beauty we wish to behold". It's finding the reason for Live, Die, Kill and why it is before The Pursuit of Truth where the reasons for why people Live, Die, Kill are shown, "Mothers for their children, Husbands for their wives," and why they "lay down our lives for the cause"

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: February 23, 2021, 01:56:56 PM »
You're entitled to your opinion, for me it ruins the song to the point that I never listen to it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #223 on: February 23, 2021, 02:49:04 PM »
You're entitled to your opinion, for me it ruins the song to the point that I never listen to it.

I have that part edited out for both the Studio and Fourth Wall version. That middle section is useless, and after the swell version of TCOT, and the Dark Master section of ITPOE, it felt quite formulaic. The first half of IT is amazing, in fact the minute right before that quiet section is so good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline emtee

« Reply #224 on: February 23, 2021, 03:16:31 PM »
I love that section.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #225 on: February 23, 2021, 03:20:28 PM »
You guys are absolutely wrong about that section in IT.  :tdwn

That's like saying that the middle section in Rush's The Trees is unnecessary. It's the very essence of prog music!

IT is brilliant!!  :metal :metal :metal

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #226 on: February 23, 2021, 03:33:54 PM »
I love it too! It is part of the story.  Watch the video illustrating rejection, then acceptance... To really feel the joy in life, you must suffer through the pain...

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #227 on: February 23, 2021, 06:27:09 PM »
i've heard it said a lot that the instrumental section ruins IT.  i don't agree in the least but tis life i guess, lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #228 on: February 23, 2021, 07:12:39 PM »
It doesn't "ruin" the song for me, but I have to be in the mood to listen to it. Most times I just skip that section, honestly :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #229 on: February 24, 2021, 03:53:20 AM »
It doesn't "ruin" the song for me, but I have to be in the mood to listen to it. Most times I just skip that section, honestly :lol
That's exactly how I feel too. The arrangement, the melody is really great but it puts the listener in a different state for longer than necessary and you kind lose interest after that. If it was a little bit shorter maybe that would be better for the flow of the song.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #230 on: February 24, 2021, 09:10:29 AM »
That's exactly how I feel too. The arrangement, the melody is really great but it puts the listener in a different state for longer than necessary and you kind lose interest after that. If it was a little bit shorter maybe that would be better for the flow of the song.

That says more about the listener than the song. I love that section because it's calm and soothing. And I think it's a nice pace that prepares you for the onslaught of The Pursuit of Truth.

The Embracing Circle, is like that moment where you are considering that question, and I see it as a state of contemplation through music.

How does that section make you feel mood wise?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #231 on: February 24, 2021, 10:26:08 AM »

That says more about the listener than the song. I love that section because it's calm and soothing. And I think it's a nice pace that prepares you for the onslaught of The Pursuit of Truth.

The Embracing Circle, is like that moment where you are considering that question, and I see it as a state of contemplation through music.

Yes and no.  I think what the band was going for was really clever and creative.  The way the structure of the song ties in with the lyrics and overall concept is brilliant.  Intellectually, I get that.  And yet, even knowing that, that section of the song does not have the emotional resonance with me and a lot of other fans that the band was going for.  That isn't necessarily a problem with the song or a problem with the fans.  There is simply a disconnect on an emotional level between the concept and the execution of that concept.  And that's okay.  Art is so subjective that that is bound to happen frequently, even with the most talented artists.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #232 on: February 24, 2021, 11:06:49 AM »

Mood wise, it's very serene and reflective to me but also kinda sad and hopeful at the end. It does take time to get use to it and honestly I might will, it's just weird to me at least for now!  :P

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: February 24, 2021, 11:26:30 AM »
I listened to it over and over again because I thought I had to be missing something.  Some...context.  I mean if the melody was, say, the vocal melody of the chorus section of "The Looking Glass" or the pre-chorus vocal melody to "Along For The Ride" or some other nugget from earlier in the album, and they cut the duration by about 50% - in other words, if it had a clearer context, I think it probably would have been kind of cool, but as is it just feels like it doesn't belong there.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #234 on: February 24, 2021, 11:27:29 AM »

Yes and no.  I think what the band was going for was really clever and creative.  The way the structure of the song ties in with the lyrics and overall concept is brilliant.  Intellectually, I get that.  And yet, even knowing that, that section of the song does not have the emotional resonance with me and a lot of other fans that the band was going for.  That isn't necessarily a problem with the song or a problem with the fans.  There is simply a disconnect on an emotional level between the concept and the execution of that concept.  And that's okay.  Art is so subjective that that is bound to happen frequently, even with the most talented artists.

At first I would skip the middle.  But then, after listening and understanding the lyrics meaning and giving thought to the whole thing, it changed. (one aspect I love about DT music is that giving thought to the music/lyrics makes the songs better, more interesting) Now, it sets met up emotionally for the 2nd half of the song. The answer, then the proclamation about joy and pain.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #235 on: February 24, 2021, 11:30:12 AM »
I don't want all of DT music to be easily understood. I want to guess, think, be left with   :justjen or just something I don't understand - which keeps it fresh longer.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #236 on: February 24, 2021, 02:04:50 PM »
I don't mind the break all that much; it reminds me a bit of the interlude on Awaken, actually.   

I have other problems with the song that I'm not going into right now, since it's tangential to the discussion, as well as potentially opening worm cans.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #237 on: February 24, 2021, 03:17:54 PM »
I don't mind the break all that much; it reminds me a bit of the interlude on Awaken, actually.   

I have other problems with the song that I'm not going into right now, since it's tangential to the discussion, as well as potentially opening worm cans.

The break is a beautiful piece of music.  Whether it's too long or misplaced is a matter of opinion I suppose.  Personally, I don't think it fits in with the rest of the song and like you, I have other problems with the song.  Many other problems that I won't get into either.  If certain people find the structure of the song appealing based on lyrics and concept, that's great.  For me, the music must flow and be appealing to my ears and IT just doesn't do that for me.  I guess my expectations were just too high because all of their other long epics are fantastic.  Oh well... :-\
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #238 on: February 24, 2021, 04:14:31 PM »
Here's hoping DT15 has a great 20+ minute epic that becomes an immediate fan favorite :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #239 on: February 24, 2021, 04:45:27 PM »

The break is a beautiful piece of music.  Whether it's too long or misplaced is a matter of opinion I suppose.  Personally, I don't think it fits in with the rest of the song and like you, I have other problems with the song.  Many other problems that I won't get into either.  If certain people find the structure of the song appealing based on lyrics and concept, that's great.  For me, the music must flow and be appealing to my ears and IT just doesn't do that for me.  I guess my expectations were just too high because all of their other long epics are fantastic.  Oh well... :-\

Can you please stop posting perfectly reasonable things?  That isn't helpful to the present pointless argument. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #240 on: February 25, 2021, 11:47:53 AM »
Just a quick curiosity about Viper King, that I didn't read anywhere before: Jordan Rudess recently did an interview for a brazilian magazine (https://roadiecrew.com/veja-a-nova-revista/) and told that the song started from a MM's riff, that are on the verses (he don't said that, but now I suspect that the very beginning of the song is actually MM showing (and shouting :laugh:) the riff for the band).
Also, nothing new to report about the next album, JR just made a very generic comment about it. He talked more about Distant Memories Live in London.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #241 on: February 25, 2021, 11:51:31 AM »
now I suspect that the very beginning of the song is actually MM showing (and shouting :laugh:) the riff for the band).

I think it is just James yelling, "Yeah, baby!  Wooo!," or something like that.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #242 on: February 25, 2021, 12:24:39 PM »
I don't know, but it sounds like MM to me (and like the voice was recorded by the drums's microphones). Anyway, it's the closest from all their voices, from what I remember. But, also it could be James making a fun voice anyway...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #243 on: February 25, 2021, 12:37:59 PM »
I'm pretty sure it Mike saying 'Yeah Wizard, wooo". I also saw somewhere recently that MM also wrote the ending riff to S2N.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 01:41:33 PM by jonny108 »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #244 on: February 25, 2021, 12:48:41 PM »
I've always thought that voice was Mangini. It does sound like drum mics caught it.