Author Topic: IMAGES, WORDS & BEYOND LIVE IN JAPAN 2017 Online video stream 30/01/21 7pm EST  (Read 25844 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I absolutely loved this show when I saw it live.  I will probably wind up getting this, but honestly, I would pay double that price, or more, for a good blu-ray release of the show with some special features.

Same

Indeed.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
If it was any other year, I'd think it was a little strange to stream this concert like this.
But this is 2020, bands are going on permanent hiatus and breaking up left and right... aren't they?
But DT's "pandemic plan" has been filled with oddities and things we didn't expect.

Distant Memories - audio, blu-ray, box sets
New album - in studio now
Terminal Velocity - with MP
LTE3
Holiday Spirit Carries On
Jorden's mini moog concert
Japan 2017 stream
...and I think JLB is in the studio for a solo album too.

How many times have we gone all year wishing for stuff like this?
I'm really just glad DT can withstand having no ticket sales for a while.

Yeah, it's like they are releasing everything this year except anything relating to The Astonishing tour. :facepalm: :facepalm:

They are doing it right then.  ;D

Offline Architeuthis

If it was any other year, I'd think it was a little strange to stream this concert like this.
But this is 2020, bands are going on permanent hiatus and breaking up left and right... aren't they?
But DT's "pandemic plan" has been filled with oddities and things we didn't expect.

LTE3
Japan 2017 stream

Yeah, it's like they are releasing everything this year except anything relating to The Astonishing tour. :facepalm: :facepalm:

They are doing it right then.  ;D
Wrong!  ;)
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
You could purchase a ticket to the stream, send me the receipt and I will send you the show for you to have it.

I AM KIDDING!!!!

Offline erwinrafael

I.looked at the other streams on offer in that streaming website. They are much smaller bands but they charge around 40 USD a stream. So I guess DT really is just testing the waters here, maybe not letting that unreleased live video to waste, raise some revenue, maybe even momey for the crew.

So I am not complaining. I paid around 50 USD to watch thisnshow here in Manila and it's just balcony. From that perspective, 16 USD is not expensive at all.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
The amount of complaints in this thread is remarkable.

The band is going out of their way to release something that people have been clamoring for for three years, and there are so many people saying stuff like, "What the hell, I gotta pay for this??" Yeah, streams cost money. As much as people don't want to admit it, Dream Theater is not Metallica. They can't stream old shows for weeks on end for free.

Yeah, it's a stream. Oh well. I wanted a physical release too, but that's not happening (yet), so I'll gladly fork over $16 (maybe I won't get coffee that week) to the band I've supported since 2003. I've paid a lot more for a lot less when it comes to DT stuff, and a lot of that money didn't go to the band (ie, buying old Fan Club CDs on ebay). $16 to support my favorite band? Easy. I'll probably get a buddy or two over to watch it too. Compared to going to the movies with a few friends, $16 is a friggin' steal.

To be fair, I haven't seen most of this. Probably a song or two back when it was first uploaded. So I get not wanting to pay for this if you saw it already. But the band didn't make money on those youtube streams. They deserve to be paid for their work. Ask Lars, he'll tell you.

And what about this suggests that the band is out of touch? Are they the only band doing streams of older shows? Nope. Are they the only ones asking for money for streams? Nope. This is what a lot of bands are doing. Is it because they're doing this instead of putting out a DVD? If that's the case, then maybe it's not them who's out of touch.

My 2¢. I'm excited.

I'm just as astonished about the complaints, that I also find it remarkable.

They're complaining, about it not being Live, an old show they saw (and that is no fault other than your own if you watched that video, and went out of your way to download it or find a bootleg dvd of that show), it costing money, or it not being a physical release instead.

I didn't watch any videos, because I could find any on youtube, and didn't want to dig further for them. I just said, "oh well, I hope they'll release it sometime in the future."....The future is now, and they are releasing it, albeit a stream, but I'll take that as I can still watch it.

Your movie analogy makes a crapload of sense. It's almost the same thing we are experiencing with these live streams. The bands are premiering their live shows, whether actually live or something from the archives. It's exactly like going to the movie theater. You're paying to watch a movie on the big screen, and with good sound, you don't own it. Later on, you can own it as the DVD/Blu-rays get released. This is what I am noticing happening with these live streams. Fans are demanding a dvd/blu-ray of the actual live stream show, like Katatonia. Or one of the pre-recorded show like IQ with A Show of Resistance and Ever, which they are doing a bundle of both pre-recorded shows on DVD/Blu-ray.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Your movie analogy makes a crapload of sense.

No it doesn't. It's a concert, not a movie. I mean, if you go to a theater to watch a concert film, then fine.

But for most of us, it's asking us to watch a concert on our computer for a finite time. I'd be all over this if I could download it and watch when I want.

And saying this product isn't worth it isn't complaining.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Trav86

LTE3
Japan 2017 stream

There isn’t a high demand for it. Outside of a few people on this forum, I haven’t seen anyone clamoring for a live release of The Astonishing. The Images and Scenes anniversary tours were better received. I know there are fans that have said they liked The Astonishing concert more than the album.  But still, the band probably doesn’t want to get burned by it again.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline OpenYourEyes311

No it doesn't. It's a concert, not a movie. I mean, if you go to a theater to watch a concert film, then fine.

But for most of us, it's asking us to watch a concert on our computer for a finite time. I'd be all over this if I could download it and watch when I want.

I've seen plenty of concerts at movie theaters. Live at Luna Park, Through The Never, Linkin Park's Live In Texas... And I've also streamed brand new movies in my house for a finite time. I paid $20 so my kid could watch Trolls World Tour the day it came out. I had 48 hours to watch it once it started. We watched it twice. I feel like I got my money's worth.

Probably all of those cost more than what this does. And this gives you a week to watch it on demand!

And also, any PS3-5, and Xbox whatevers have built in browsers that you can stream on straight to your TV.  A computer is not necessarily necessary.

But if it's not worth it to you, Tim, that's fine, that's up to you. It's totally worth it to me. I think of it as spending $16 to have a great night of entertainment with a few friends. I can't go out with my friends, and I sure as hell can't go to any concerts. This is a cheap night I'm going to be looking forward to.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Ben_Jamin

Re: Big Announcement coming tomorrow Dec 22nd, 2020
« Reply #149 on: December 23, 2020, 09:36:16 PM »
Live at Budokan 2017?!?!

Yes :metal :metal :metal

Don't know how they're going to offer this, but I'm glad they're doing something with it, as all the heavy lifting (mixing/editing) was already done and it looks/sounds amazing.

This is also why, I feel, they are streaming the Live at Budokan 2017 show...and not a video of The Astonishing tour. I doubt they have/want to take the time to get all that set up, and that takes some time. I also doubt they would want to present an actual Live Stream, in the same way that Trivium and Dream Evil did their live streams. To do it like the other bands, it takes someone to present the graphics for the green screen, and as I said, why would you want to put funds into that when you are recording an album and also trying to save for the future of the band.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Wasn't up on this show at the time, and didn't care much to follow it. I am sure I checked out the setlist at some point, but looking at it again... man that is a random first set.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

This.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #152 on: December 23, 2020, 09:50:29 PM »
It wasn't meant to be so literal as to all the lyrics, just those 2 words. From what I read here and on social media, it's like so many are never satisfied with whatever by the band. Maybe I am looking at it this way because I am a newish fan and haven't had past cool goodies. I have a DVD of this... But really, I am happy to support them.
I understand everyone's point, but just all quite negative and really most of the time lately, nothing's enough :huh:
The D/T thread. Not that positive. Or some.."its good, but"..Or James singing, or MM blah blah. Nothing feels like a Fan page, just an editorial. Maybe it's just the nature of people now....

I've been a fan for over 20 years and I agree. You're right.

And it's not about the specific point of this thread, it's the whole set.
I always thought that the surrounding environment would be irrelevant, as long as I was satisfied with the music / band. After all, I was able to have fun with Dream Theater these past few years, even with negativity as a big background noise.
But ... negativity won. It's not  so fun anymore.

It is also not a matter of not being critical. I was / am a great critic of the TOT-BC&SL period, but even during that time, it was more fun to belong to the band's fan base than nowadays.

I can understand you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I've seen plenty of concerts at movie theaters. Live at Luna Park, Through The Never, Linkin Park's Live In Texas... And I've also streamed brand new movies in my house for a finite time. I paid $20 so my kid could watch Trolls World Tour the day it came out. I had 48 hours to watch it once it started. We watched it twice. I feel like I got my money's worth.

Probably all of those cost more than what this does. And this gives you a week to watch it on demand!

And also, any PS3-5, and Xbox whatevers have built in browsers that you can stream on straight to your TV.  A computer is not necessarily necessary.

But if it's not worth it to you, Tim, that's fine, that's up to you. It's totally worth it to me. I think of it as spending $16 to have a great night of entertainment with a few friends. I can't go out with my friends, and I sure as hell can't go to any concerts. This is a cheap night I'm going to be looking forward to.

That's cool people thinking it's worth it, but those of us that don't, it doesn't mean we are complaining.  I've spent my fair share on the band but this doesn't cut it for me.  Great for those that it does though.

Offline Shadow2222

The conspiracy theorist in me is that they wanted to find a way to release it but not have it permanently out there due to the way Labrie sounds (which is only okay and has some weird effect on it) and not wanting to pay to retouch and bring it up to typical DVD release standards.

I don’t honestly expect a DVD/Blu-ray release after this.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Oof, totally not interested in paying for a stream of an old concert.  So many people did FREE streams of old concerts.  I'd watch it for free, or maybe if they had an option to donate that would be cool..... but $16 is an insane price.  The highest I've paid for a live stream was $20 and it was LIVE with a Q and A.  I even felt that was a bit much as most live streams are around $10, but it was a band I really like so I paid in.  This just seems like a money grab and totally missing what the fans want/expect from a band of their magnitude.  Don't they have the studio now?  How bout $16 for an hour or two session of watching them perform songs from the studio? 

I got to say, DT's management is like the worst I've seen from any band I follow closely.  They always seem to just be out of touch.

Now that would be worth paying for. Great idea.

Couldn't agree more re being out of touch, either, although I suspect that's not just down to management.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline erwinrafael

Oof, totally not interested in paying for a stream of an old concert.  So many people did FREE streams of old concerts.  I'd watch it for free, or maybe if they had an option to donate that would be cool..... but $16 is an insane price.  The highest I've paid for a live stream was $20 and it was LIVE with a Q and A.  I even felt that was a bit much as most live streams are around $10, but it was a band I really like so I paid in.  This just seems like a money grab and totally missing what the fans want/expect from a band of their magnitude.  Don't they have the studio now?  How bout $16 for an hour or two session of watching them perform songs from the studio? 

I got to say, DT's management is like the worst I've seen from any band I follow closely.  They always seem to just be out of touch.

Now that would be worth paying for. Great idea.

Couldn't agree more re being out of touch, either, although I suspect that's not just down to management.

What is out of touch is thinking that bands charge only 16 USD for an hour or two of livestream of a new performance.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
What is out of touch is thinking that bands charge only 16 USD for an hour or two of livestream of a new performance.
But they do. Nothing I've watched was over that amount, and most had some production values put in - they staged it somewhere other than their own studios (DT has the advantage there), there were multiple cameras, etc.

I get how they would think 16USD to have a week to watch a show everyone said they wanted but that they can't release is fair, but they're missing out what's happening in the rest of the music market. Maybe all of their industry friends are content to just sit in their houses until they can play, but other bands have been hustling pretty hard to try this livestream thing out.

DT has been doing some cool stuff on other fronts, but it's all about communication. "Hey guys, we can't do a live show because James can't make it to our location, but we wanna release something for you, and what we earn from that will help us with production costs if we wanna do one down the road when it's safer to travel but not safe enough to tour", that would have been acceptable. Instead of "the band is releasing this product and you can buy it if you want, along with the other stuff you may have bought, or not".
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 06:23:49 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
I'm really curious to see how the sales of this live streaming will be, since it has been sometime this has been out on internet. Personally, I would love to buy a physical product of this - to me, it's one of DT's best live videos "releases" from MM era (as Distant Memories) and I'm DT collector.
I guess I will pay for this live streaming because, well, first it's the right thing to do - it's the way DT choose (for whatever reason) to make it officially avaible to the fans, second, I really want to support the band throught these times.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Ben_Jamin

But they do. Nothing I've watched was over that amount, and most had some production values put in - they staged it somewhere other than their own studios (DT has the advantage there), there were multiple cameras, etc.

I get how they would think 16USD to have a week to watch a show everyone said they wanted but that they can't release is fair, but they're missing out what's happening in the rest of the music market. Maybe all of their industry friends are content to just sit in their houses until they can play, but other bands have been hustling pretty hard to try this livestream thing out.

DT has been doing some cool stuff on other fronts, but it's all about communication. "Hey guys, we can't do a live show because James can't make it to our location, but we wanna release something for you, and what we earn from that will help us with production costs if we wanna do one down the road when it's safer to travel but not safe enough to tour", that would have been acceptable. Instead of "the band is releasing this product and you can buy it if you want, along with the other stuff you may have bought, or not".

Those bands are not DT and do not do business the same way Dream Theater does. You have to take that into account as well.

As I said, if it's business. Why would you spend more money doing all that, in a time of uncertainty, especially while recording a new album.

As much as we don't like it, the truth is all bands are businesses that make products for the labels. It's why some have created their own labels. So they won't have to answer to those executive people that have no understanding of the musicians involved.

There areany things involved. That's why bands hire Managers and a variety of other people to handle that stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #160 on: December 24, 2020, 07:49:09 AM »
It wasn't meant to be so literal as to all the lyrics, just those 2 words. From what I read here and on social media, it's like so many are never satisfied with whatever by the band. Maybe I am looking at it this way because I am a newish fan and haven't had past cool goodies. I have a DVD of this... But really, I am happy to support them.
I understand everyone's point, but just all quite negative and really most of the time lately, nothing's enough :huh:
The D/T thread. Not that positive. Or some.."its good, but"..Or James singing, or MM blah blah. Nothing feels like a Fan page, just an editorial. Maybe it's just the nature of people now....

I've been a fan for over 20 years and I agree. You're right.

And it's not about the specific point of this thread, it's the whole set.
I always thought that the surrounding environment would be irrelevant, as long as I was satisfied with the music / band. After all, I was able to have fun with Dream Theater these past few years, even with negativity as a big background noise.
But ... negativity won. It's not  so fun anymore.

It is also not a matter of not being critical. I was / am a great critic of the TOT-BC&SL period, but even during that time, it was more fun to belong to the band's fan base than nowadays.

I can understand you.

I mean this cooperatively and as a friend and peer in this same fanbase:   Then support those that are positive and that are having fun.  I've bought four studio albums and three live albums from a band that isn't my go-to anymore.  I've only seen one of the tours (but that's more circumstances than conscious decision), but I'm going out of my way to support a band to whose direction I'm not as closely aligned as I once was, primarily in recognition of all those years where I WAS aligned with them.   Yet it seems when the time comes to sort of "cut" the negativity, there's crickets (or more negativity about the negativity). 

I FULLY support the band doing this, even if I'm not going to participate.  I don't know their management, but surely from all we've seen from this band over the years, they put thought into what they do, whether we agree with it or not.   I hope they sell brazilians of these packages; FOR ME, who is a Luddite of sorts when it comes to streaming, it's not for me.   I get the analogies to movies and whatnot, but the movies I stream are largely $3.00 and $4.00 and because I have a family (read:  kids) to entertain.  For me, the transcience of a live show is offset by the sweat, pushing, cameraderie, beer and memories of a live setting.  I paid whatever to see The Astonishing live and I have nothing to show for it like a DVD or CD, but I have the memory of being with friends, of meeting new people, of sneaking around the venue trying to get a glimpse of the band as they left the arena with a couple members here.

TL;DR:  I agree with Mora.    ;D

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #161 on: December 24, 2020, 09:34:37 AM »
I FULLY support the band doing this, even if I'm not going to participate.

This just sums up my thoughts perfectly, so I don't think I need to say anything else :biggrin:

Btw, I'll just say I'd love to be able to buy access to the Q&A without paying for the show. That'd be quite an interesting thing and I bet more fans who already watched this would want to at least participate in the aftershow Q&A.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
TL;DR:  I agree with Mora.    ;D

Same. 

Also, if you've been following Devin Townsend, you'll see someone who is trying to be creative and consistently does these paid live streams.  I didn't watch his Christmas show yesterday, but I paid for a few of the others and he's always trying to do something unique.  I don't have any issues with DT actually doing this stream, it's just not something I am interested in given how all these other bands have done something more unique for less or equal price. The fact I've seen some of this concert on youtube has no impact of my decision, I only didn't want to watch the whole thing so I could eventually buy it and I'll continue to just wait for that potential release.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #163 on: December 24, 2020, 10:17:36 AM »
I FULLY support the band doing this, even if I'm not going to participate.

This just sums up my thoughts perfectly, so I don't think I need to say anything else :biggrin:

Btw, I'll just say I'd love to be able to buy access to the Q&A without paying for the show. That'd be quite an interesting thing and I bet more fans who already watched this would want to at least participate in the aftershow Q&A.

:lol
That's the point.

Also, I bet you anything the sound will be better on the Streaming Service they use. Most YouTube vids have pretty crappy quality. I say most because the Official Version of Distant Memories songs sound louder and more clearer than the fan uploaded ones. Pale Blue Dot is actually has 4K resolution on the YouTube vid, the others don't they're 1080 at max. And the fan uploaded songs are more quieter and I have to turn up my volume when listening from the Official Versions. I really noticed this with the Toms.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #164 on: December 24, 2020, 01:51:55 PM »
I mean this cooperatively and as a friend and peer in this same fanbase:   Then support those that are positive and that are having fun. 

Oh.. I got it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

That's cool people thinking it's worth it, but those of us that don't, it doesn't mean we are complaining.  I've spent my fair share on the band but this doesn't cut it for me.  Great for those that it does though.

Yeah, that's all I'm personally saying,.

And Kev, Always worth it for the kids! :)

If this was an actual release, I'd buy it no questions asked.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I haven't purchased Distant Memories yet, but if this I&W concert was released, I'd buy that first, no question.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I haven't purchased Distant Memories yet, but if this I&W concert was released, I'd buy that first, no question.

I wasn't wicked excited about it, so when that and Maiden's new live album came out at the same time, I bought the Iron Maiden one. But after listening to Distant Memories on Spotify, I thought it sounded great. So I know Santa is bringing me one tomorrow. ;D

Offline Trav86

I just got it yesterday and I thought it was great!  I’ve enjoyed Metropolis 2000: Scenes From New York since it was released, and I feel like this version SFAM was represented well. The performances are great. The production is great. It’s totally worth it.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I wasn't wicked excited about it, so when that and Maiden's new live album came out at the same time, I bought the Iron Maiden one. But after listening to Distant Memories on Spotify, I thought it sounded great. So I know Santa is bringing me one tomorrow. ;D

Yeah, the few vids I've watched on YouTube have been awesome.  I will get it eventually.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

I saw that tour here in Toronto on April 04th 2019. These two years have been so crazy that the show is now a distant memory.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
Just wanted to make a slight correction to a point I've seen iterated so many places that does not correspond to reality;
Dream Theater didn't ever plan to release this on DVD/Blu-Ray. It was always intended for a release in a limited fashion done by a third party (i.e. not the band making the creative choices), similar to the Awake show done by Wowow in 1995, the SFAM show done by HOB in 2000, the Bucharest show in 2002, the Santiago show in 2005 etc etc etc. It was never about "not being good enough for release" that was the reason for it not making it to blu-ray, it was plain and simple a timing issue combined with the fact that this was not the intention in the first place.

Offline Ben_Jamin

Just wanted to make a slight correction to a point I've seen iterated so many places that does not correspond to reality;
Dream Theater didn't ever plan to release this on DVD/Blu-Ray. It was always intended for a release in a limited fashion done by a third party (i.e. not the band making the creative choices), similar to the Awake show done by Wowow in 1995, the SFAM show done by HOB in 2000, the Bucharest show in 2002, the Santiago show in 2005 etc etc etc. It was never about "not being good enough for release" that was the reason for it not making it to blu-ray, it was plain and simple a timing issue combined with the fact that this was not the intention in the first place.

So it's likely that the Third Party were the ones to request the YouTube videos to be taken down, and not necessarily the band?

That's some great info though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah, I think that was how I figured it anyway.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Looks like I need to find a DVD one way or another.