Author Topic: IMAGES, WORDS & BEYOND LIVE IN JAPAN 2017 Online video stream 30/01/21 7pm EST  (Read 26095 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
This makes me hyped it might be possible we get a show from The Astonishing at least.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
This makes me hyped we get a show from The Astonishing at least.
I hope so. I like that album and want to see a DVD-level production of that album.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Ben_Jamin

I hope so. I like that album and want to see a DVD-level production of that album.

Yeah, the way they described how we haven't got a lot of stuff from them since MP left, and cool they acknowledge that they haven't been doing much on Ytsejam.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
JP acknowledges natural catastrophes follow the band because of the amount of notes (referencing a Mt. Etna eruption after a DT show in Sicily).

Offline geeeemo

Yeah, the way they described how we haven't got a lot of stuff from them since MP left, and cool they acknowledge that they haven't been doing much on Ytsejam.
Ya. JP (I think) said there is soo much material during the Mangini era. Soo, maybe we will get some!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Lost Not Forgotten Archives is the new Ytsejam

:metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
MM is such a nerd. lol.

Offline Ben_Jamin

MM is such a nerd. lol.

I consider him a Musical Nerd. And him being in Dream Theater is perfect, as Dream Theater is considered the band for music nerds.  :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

There' still a lot to do with the new album...and that's it.

Offline geeeemo

MM is such a nerd. lol.

I consider him a Musical Nerd. And him being in Dream Theater is perfect, as Dream Theater is considered the band for music nerds.  :lol
..and endearing :heart

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Lost Not Forgotten Archives is the new Ytsejam

:metal

Neat-o. Thank you to all who are updating the info here.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
That's it, folks. A lot of stories, but no other major updates outside what's been mentioned already ITT.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Maddi was clearly avoiding questions about the new album or JP's 8-string.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
I think its hard to establish intent here.

There were an absolute insane amount of questions and they probably did 9-10 total?

For the people who couldn't attend, not too many questions overall for a 1+ hour Q&A, but they elaborated on a lot and had some stories in between questions.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 09:31:26 PM by ResultsMayVary »

Offline gzarruk

Bummer. I suspect they (JP and JR mostly) don't want to announce a whole lot of stuff about DT15 with LTE3 still being promoted/hyped, so that they don't spread themselves too thin promoting two releases for the same-ish fanbase. Hope we get something in the following months, though.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!

Bummer. I suspect they (JP and JR mostly) don't want to announce a whole lot of stuff about DT15 with LTE3 still being promoted/hyped, so that they don't spread themselves too thin promoting two releases for the same-ish fanbase. Hope we get something in the following months, though.
All we know about DT15 is that the drums are done, its coming out later this year, and they took in the least amount of ideas ahead of time for a DT album since MM joined (he brought it up).

Offline evilasiojr

All we know about DT15 is that the drums are done, its coming out later this year, and they took in the least amount of ideas ahead of time for a DT album since MM joined (he brought it up).

I wish this meant this new album will be more jam driven, although I know it doesn't necessarily mean it.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Yes, there were an insane amount of questions so you are right, it could be a coincidence that he didn't see any. But I wouldn't be surprised if there were in agreement before the Q&A to avoid specific questions about the new album.

Only thing they touched on was the writing process. The whole thing was enjoyable.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Peter Mc

Glad people enjoyed it, that tour was one of the best DT shows I’ve been to and, yes, JP’s tone was incredible on the night. La Brie was also in amazing form, not just his singing but it’s the most engaging I’ve seen him as a frontman.

Interesting to hear about LNF archives.  Looking forward to what is coming but I will definitely be buying this show (hopefully physical media).  Hope it was successful for them.

Offline MirrorMask

Glad people enjoyed it, that tour was one of the best DT shows I’ve been to and, yes, JP’s tone was incredible on the night. La Brie was also in amazing form, not just his singing but it’s the most engaging I’ve seen him as a frontman.

That tour was indeed great - lot of explanations about the I&W songs, James as you said being more engaging, the little fun stuff like Enter Sandman and the Jacob Pastorius cover thrown in even in a click-oriented show.... given the format of the latest tour they didn't have much occasions to repeat it (after all with SFAM you can only pause once, after Through Her Eyes), but I hope this looser approach will come back for the next tour.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Skeever

I definitely enjoyed everything from the second set and beyond. I actually don't think I knew some of the songs on the first set, probably because I almost never listen to DT13 or the Astonishing. A few moments had me thinking I should give them another chance, but the heavier emphasis still paled in comparison to Images, etc.

Overall, fun night. It definitely did make me miss going to concerts.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
The LNF archives have got me interested

Offline don_waka

Bought the ticket and missed the show  :facepalm:

Offline RaiseTheKnife

You should be able to watch the Limited VOD stream starting tonight until Feb 6, although I have no idea what "limited" means.  Based on my research on the site, limited might refer to edited, although I'm curious why they would need to edit any of the show - and what parts?

Offline don_waka

You should be able to watch the Limited VOD stream starting tonight until Feb 6, although I have no idea what "limited" means.  Based on my research on the site, limited might refer to edited, although I'm curious why they would need to edit any of the show - and what parts?

That’d be great! There was a major power outage in my area due to a heavy storm + landslides. Hopefully I get to watch something from the concert. 

Offline erwinrafael

It is limited in the sense that you can only watch up to Feb 6.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Thanks for clarifying.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
The LNF archives have got me interested
It was about time, very happy with it! And really cool name! :tup
Anyone knows if JP clarified why they will release only the I&W part of this show on LNF?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 07:47:50 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Siddhartha

Saw the show, very cool. I enjoyed a lot the Astonishing parts and a Change of Seasons.

Offline geeeemo

I have just been watching it again. I missed the first half last night. What a show! It may be my favorite and it is far from my favorite set-list. I love the light show and no graphics on the screen. Its like a classic rock concert. It sounds real. You can hear all the drums - kind of echoey, like in a club. And the band seems relaxed and free and fun. James is killing it. AIA was so, so good and all the little extra or different ways some parts were played. Just fun. I would like to see more concerts just like this. I may be enjoying this more than the Distant Memories,  :o and Images isnt even close to my top album. Just a good concert. I really cannot understand the gripes about James. :huh: He is sounding fantastic! :yarr

Offline jadiggerdt

https://youtu.be/ZQP1HDXcQD4

Is this the same day?

Offline Skeever

Is this the same day?

The guy who runs that channel needs urgent psychiatric help and should be ignored.

Other than that, it's amazing what an actual mix can do!

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni

Is this the same day?

The guy who runs that channel needs urgent psychiatric help and should be ignored.

Other than that, it's amazing what an actual mix can do!

Just listened to the first three and a half minutes... Not James's strongest performance.

Had the version streamed at the weekend been firkled with? I had no interest in it myself but pleased people enjoyed it.

Edit: really is a curious mix, this. Wonder where it's from? (Listening to Surrounded as I type... this is painful.)

(And yes, it does look like that chap needs help! :lol)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 05:54:58 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
I did not see the video stream myself, and have no inside knowledge on this at all, so this is just my opinion but;

Nobody releases a live album that hasn't been touched up in some way. If they do, they call it "an official bootleg".

DT has the benefit of having recorded every show they've done for decades now. For the past ten years or so, it's multitrack protools sessions... Which means, if they need to fix a flub when they compile a live release, they can actually just go down in the archive and fetch a track from a show where it sounded good. This is why they recorded two shows for the Distant Memories tour, so what you hear is actually a compilation of the two nights, although most of it is the night that is most filmed. That also allowed them to get a multitude of alternate camera angles with a smaller camera crew...

Budokan was never even supposed to be a dvd/live release, it was meant for TV only. So the attention to detail wasn't AS HIGH as it would be on recording a show for a full on physical release like Distant Memories. The TV version had a very noticeable effect layer on James voice, and I would assume they wanted to fix that for the stream. How they did, dunno. But yeah, there's all the common tools everyone uses - alternate takes, overdubs, pitch correction. Let's not pretend that's not industry standard at this point...

Offline jadiggerdt

alternate takes, overdubs, pitch correction is extremely used on this production. BUT the production is very good. Remember that i watch this consert when it was on youtube in 2018 for couple of weeks. Didnt watch the stream either.