Author Topic: DT show in Rock in Rio 2022  (Read 9360 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: First DT show in 2021
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2021, 10:20:29 AM »
Well we already got Iron Maiden / Dream Theater to tour the US.  But of course, I wouldn't complain if they did it again (and added Megadeth as the opener   ;D )
And Sepultura.. :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2022, 04:24:07 PM »
Since this thread is about DT playing at Rock in Rio (now 2022), I though I should mention here that both DT and MP (with Metal Allegiance) are confirmed to play at the very same day for the festival. I'm not expecting them to do anything "special" for the show, but would love to see them just hanging around backstage and reconnecting there.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2022, 06:49:43 PM »
Since this thread is about DT playing at Rock in Rio (now 2022), I though I should mention here that both DT and MP (with Metal Allegiance) are confirmed to play at the very same day for the festival. I'm not expecting them to do anything "special" for the show, but would love to see them just hanging around backstage and reconnecting there.
They're playing two different stages, so maybe they won't if the stages are in different locations. But if close by, I can see MP going to visit the other guys - maybe just maybe he might have the opportunity to speak with JL in person and put whatever bad blood still exists between them behind them, assuming JL would even give him the chance in the first place.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2022, 06:56:11 PM »
They're playing two different stages, so maybe they won't if the stages are in different locations. But if close by, I can see MP going to visit the other guys - maybe just maybe he might have the opportunity to speak with JL in person and put whatever bad blood still exists between them behind them, assuming JL would even give him the chance in the first place.

I'd love to see just a pic of all 6 of them having a nice time. It's been 11+ years since the split and still they haven't all been in the same room together.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2022, 08:31:30 PM »
I’m also curious if they will meet or if MP will watch the DT show… The stages are near and sure the shows will be at different times (the schedule is made to make possible for the audience to watch all the shows).
After the split, DT and MP already shared the same festival?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 05:47:45 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2022, 09:17:43 PM »
I’m also curious if they will meet or if MP will watch the DT show… The stages are close and sure the shows will be at different times (the schedule is made to make possible for the audience to watch all the shows).
After the split, DT and MP already shared the same festival?

IIRC, DT and TWD both played at Sonisphere 2014, but on different days. This is the first time they're performing the same day.

Honestly, I'll be happy with just a new pic of MP and MM together.

Offline devieira73

Re: DT show in Rock in Rio 2022
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2022, 04:29:31 AM »
Cool, I didn't remember that.
Yeah, it's not my business, but I also just wish MP could have a good relationship with all the band - not expecting to play together or anything. I'm happy with DT they way they are now and I understand that maybe DT understands MP playing a song or two with the band could send the wrong message to the fans and the press.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2022, 05:17:10 AM »
I hope this Rock in Rio really happens. From what I remember the last 2 bands in the main stage can make its shows in full. So, if DT miss the chance to release its own RiR blu-ray, at least we'll have a high quality bootleg from the tour, with the complete show.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2022, 02:52:35 PM »

I'd love to see just a pic of all 6 of them having a nice time. It's been 11+ years since the split and still they haven't all been in the same room together.
Damn, that really hit me.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2022, 03:25:40 PM »
But why?  They don't work together anymore and haven't all been in the same place together.  MP, JP, and JR have been together because they worked on something together.  MP and JM have been together, at Mike's house, if I remember correctly, because they live close to one another.  But JM has not been together in a room with JP, JR, and MP.  And why would he be?  The four of them haven't been in or near the same location at the same time.  JLB not only has NOT worked on a project with MP, but lives in a completely different country.  So he has not been in the same room with MP.  So far, none of the above is all that surprising.

Yeah, there's the dynamic of the conflict between James and Mike.  But there's also the simple fact that they just haven't had any occasion to be in the same place at the same time.  But if DT and a band that Mike is in are at the same festival at the same time, maybe that will change.  Maybe Mike will come see the other guys.  Maybe some or all will go see him.  Maybe none of the above.  We'll just have to wait and see. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2022, 03:33:15 PM »
But there's also the simple fact that they just haven't had any occasion to be in the same place at the same time.

And they also haven't (as far as we know) actually even tried to make an occasion happen where all 6 would be together.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2022, 04:11:22 PM »
Funny enough the Portnoy family minus MP (he was on tour, forget with who) were at the last DT show in NYC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2022, 04:12:15 PM »
That's right.  Forgot about that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2022, 04:45:37 PM »
But there's also the simple fact that they just haven't had any occasion to be in the same place at the same time.

And they also haven't (as far as we know) actually even tried to make an occasion happen where all 6 would be together.

Why would they?  Every story online about the band had something about Portnoy in it for years. They finally started to shake it but Terminal Velocity and LTE3 kinda brought it back up. You can’t see a FB post or a YouTube video without comments about Portnoy. Appearing together even to just all hang out, or jam on one song would make all of that 10 times worse.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 04:51:47 PM by Trav86 »
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2022, 11:36:24 AM »
Yeah, but Mike could have come to one DT show in 11 years, or they could have arranged to do something with him related to a show. Kevin Moore attended a DT show in 1997, and only five years have passed between Derek's firing and WDADR, for Charlie it was a bit longer but not that much longer than 11 years. So this is atypical for ex DT members to take that long.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2022, 11:54:03 AM »
Yeah, but Mike could have come to one DT show in 11 years, or they could have arranged to do something with him related to a show. Kevin Moore attended a DT show in 1997, and only five years have passed between Derek's firing and WDADR, for Charlie it was a bit longer but not that much longer than 11 years. So this is atypical for ex DT members to take that long.

So?  It’s not like Ex-DT member requirement.  He may never go to a DT show, and that’s okay. The world keeps turning.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2022, 12:34:29 PM »

I agree with the post above this one.  Bar as far as the examples you gave, we are talking about very different personalities.  KM was pretty apathetic about DT and chose to leave because he just wasn't into it anymore.  Mike's situation was entirely different.  Both because of his 25 year history in building the band from the ground up, and because of his personality in general, it is a lot harder for him emotionally to go to a DT show.  That isn't a negative reflection on him or anyone else.  It just is what it is.  Kev wasn't nearly as emotionally invested.  And the other two were even less so.  (and I believe Charlie was actually at the very next show DT did, when they introduced Steve Stone)

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2022, 12:44:44 PM »
There's something very strange about a festival that has Iron Maiden and Guns n' Roses headlining two nights, and then has Justin Beiber headlining another night.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2022, 01:19:39 PM »
There's something very strange about a festival that has Iron Maiden and Guns n' Roses headlining two nights, and then has Justin Beiber headlining another night.

Clearly.  Axl Rose hasn't been able to carry a tune for years, and clearly does not belong in that trio.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2022, 01:33:15 PM »
So?  It’s not like Ex-DT member requirement.  He may never go to a DT show, and that’s okay. The world keeps turning.

That isn't a negative reflection on him or anyone else.  It just is what it is.
I'm not saying that the world will stop turning or that the way this shook out is a negative reflection on MP or DT. Just that reading it and thinking about it made me sad. We should be allowed to be sad about their personal relationships and missed opportunities/chances and current lack of camaraderie given their history without being corrected that feeling like this is irrational or that it's not obligatory or a requirement :)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2022, 02:16:19 PM »
Let's just wait until September to see what happens :tup

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2022, 06:12:26 PM »
I know MP loves his Guaraná Diet soda in Brazil, so maybe that will get him in a good mood for that encounter, who knows?

- Hey James, have you tried this soda?
- Oh yeah Mike, it's phenomenal. Cheers.
*photo op* *fans scream*

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2022, 11:23:58 AM »

this is the internet  :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2022, 11:33:56 AM »

:lol :lol :lol

Well, in that case...

Apparently, MP won't be out on tour around March 4th, the date of DT's show in NYC...

:corn

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2022, 02:15:09 PM »

Well, in that case...

Apparently, MP won't be out on tour around March 4th, the date of DT's show in NYC...

Now this is the kind of speculation I visit this part of the board for :heart ;D

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2022, 03:45:44 PM »

Well, in that case...

Now this is the kind of speculation I visit this part of the board for :heart ;D

Happy to help! :rollin

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2022, 08:24:41 AM »
 :lol

Offline devieira73

« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2022, 11:03:19 AM »

Well, in that case...

I'm not american, maybe I can be really off base here, but I think MP lives in Upper Saucon Township in the Lehigh Valley region of Pennsylvania nowadays:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Portnoy#Personal_life
By car, it seems around 1hr and 40 minutes far from NY.
So... I think at Rock in Rio, he'll be more near! ;D

My guess? We'll have a photo of him and DT together, cool words and that's it.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2022, 07:37:26 PM »

And I reckon that’s all we really need. I’m not looking to see the band change because of a chance meeting between them all, but I’d be thankful to see a nice photo together as a bit of “we had a great time together, we’re still friends ” kind of thing
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2022, 08:36:29 PM »

And I reckon that’s all we really need. I’m not looking to see the band change because of a chance meeting between them all, but I’d be thankful to see a nice photo together as a bit of “we had a great time together, we’re still friends ” kind of thing

Ah, but that is the hair in the soup: they aren't still all friends, unless LaBrie and Portnoy have made up recently and it hasn't gone public yet.  People move on, it happens. Most friendships are not for life.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2022, 08:46:32 PM »

This is all I'd like to see, really :tup

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2022, 03:53:38 AM »

Ah, but that is the hair in the soup: they aren't still all friends, unless LaBrie and Portnoy have made up recently and it hasn't gone public yet.  People move on, it happens. Most friendships are not for life.

Well, most of em anyway. Maybe they have, I doubt it. Maybe they also haven’t had the chance to try and resolve their issues in a face to face circumstance. This could be really special. This could be a non-event. This could be an all out brawl and both MP and JLB hit the stage beat up.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2022, 06:28:00 AM »
Do you know what maybe would be crazier than MP playing with DT? What if JP, JM (and maybe JLB) showed up in Metal Allegiance show to play some Maiden song? After all, MA shows are known by a lot of guest appearences (as the Sunset stages shows in Rock in Rio).

But, being realistic, I also would be really happy with just a photo of all of them together and kind words.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2022, 07:49:53 PM »
On facebook someone said MP and his family are at the theater. That's cool.
Where? Got the link?

I suppose it's possible since MP's family caught a d/t show in 2019 without MP, but I still have some doubts. I would imagine if it was true, then it would be all over social media already. I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'll wait for verifiable proof before I believe it completely.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dreamtheaterworld/permalink/1183576312175439/

There is some photos of him in the post.

Hoping for a pic of all 6 of them. Please DT/MP make it happen!

:tup

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2022, 10:12:50 AM »
 :lol