15 (12.5%)
Whataburger
2 (1.7%)
In-n-Out
5 (4.2%)
Other (discuss in comments)
19 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Author Topic: Best Fast Food  (Read 30330 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Best Fast Food
« Reply #665 on: June 23, 2023, 12:28:25 PM »
I don't know who here suggested it, but doing the Big Mac with extra meat is a fucking stroke of genius and my go to now.

They have a double big mac in Canada that is so good, has the extra meat.

OK...I went down a rabbit hole with this.

They introduced that (the "Mega Mac") in the U.S. a few years ago.

Apparently, McDonald's locations in Alaska sell (or sold) the "Denali Mac," which is a Big Mac made with two quarter pound patties.

In 2022, they apparently tested the "Chicken Big Mac" (exactly what it sounds like).

Japan has (or had) a "Giga Big Mac," with 3x the meat of a regular BM "for patrons who want 'a satisfied sense of accomplishment.'"   :lol

A Bacon Big Mac has been sold in selected markets.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #666 on: June 23, 2023, 03:33:11 PM »
I don't know who here suggested it, but doing the Big Mac with extra meat is a fucking stroke of genius and my go to now.

They have a double big mac in Canada that is so good, has the extra meat.

OK...I went down a rabbit hole with this.

They introduced that (the "Mega Mac") in the U.S. a few years ago.

Apparently, McDonald's locations in Alaska sell (or sold) the "Denali Mac," which is a Big Mac made with two quarter pound patties.

In 2022, they apparently tested the "Chicken Big Mac" (exactly what it sounds like).

Japan has (or had) a "Giga Big Mac," with 3x the meat of a regular BM "for patrons who want 'a satisfied sense of accomplishment.'"   :lol

A Bacon Big Mac has been sold in selected markets.

The kiosks allow you to add the patties one by one, and I seriously doubt there's a limit  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #667 on: June 23, 2023, 04:13:26 PM »
I tried the chicken Big Mac a couple months back. It was shyte.

Once, in my 20s, I ordered a double quarter pounder off of a buy 1 get 1 free coupon.  My boss teased the fuck out of me that day … “you purposely ordered and ate a POUND of meat!?!?”
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jammindude

« Reply #668 on: June 23, 2023, 09:16:56 PM »
Math was not his strong suit.

EDIT - or did the “buy one get one free” mean you got 2 double quarter pounders?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

« Reply #669 on: June 24, 2023, 08:34:29 PM »
The kiosks allow you to add the patties one by one, and I seriously doubt there's a limit  :lol

I didn't place an order, but the app allows no more than 4 patties on any burger, which means you can get a double QP with 2 extra patties.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #670 on: June 25, 2023, 09:21:02 AM »
Bummer.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #671 on: June 26, 2023, 06:15:43 AM »

EDIT - or did the “buy one get one free” mean you got 2 double quarter pounders?

Correct.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #672 on: June 26, 2023, 11:37:36 AM »

Correct.
That's a lot of McDonald's burger.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #673 on: June 26, 2023, 11:38:58 AM »

Correct.

He did start the story with, "in my 20s."  'Nuff said.  I miss those days.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #674 on: June 26, 2023, 11:40:05 AM »

Correct.

True
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #675 on: June 26, 2023, 01:37:26 PM »

Correct.

True

Right??  Given my the job I was working for and the boss that made the comment about it, this would've been in the summer of '94, so 23 years old.  I'd probably struggle to stuff down a single Royale with Cheese these days.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #676 on: January 25, 2024, 12:22:12 PM »
So I grabbed Taco Bell for lunch today; first time in probably 20 years. I've been happily avoiding the place in favour of better options. It honestly wasn't bad. Not sure I'd call it good, but it certainly wasn't awful. I'm also not sure I'd call it food. Very few of the components are actually recognizable as proper foodstuff, and it all combines to make more of a "goop," but halfway tasty goop.

I can certainly see why people eat at the place. I got a good sized lunch for $7.5 (no drink), and from the time I left the shop and got back with my food two songs had played (half an Overkill song, a Slayer song, and a third of a Metal Church song), so certainly less than 10 minutes. At the same time, that speed actually was the worst part about it. They're cranking stuff out so fast that it's just thrown together halfassedly. You can't just plop scoops of stuff on chips and call it nachos. Spending 30 seconds on my nachos rather than <10 would have gone a long-ass ways.

I'm in zero hurry for a return visit, but it probably won't be 20 years this time. I could see an instance where I wanted fast, tasty decent goop for cheap and wouldn't have a problem with going back. Although in a few hours I might have a change of heart on that.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: January 25, 2024, 01:09:17 PM »
I love Taco Bell, easily my favorite fast food.  But like McDonalds burger, it's hardly a legit mexican place.  The "goop" sounds legit, but it's damn good.  I just also like how they constantly change items so there's a lot of options for me.  It's like the only fast food place where I could eat anything on the menu.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #678 on: January 25, 2024, 01:14:13 PM »
I just hate that the moment I wanted to go vegetarian for one week, they removed the friken Fiesta Veggie Burrito.  That was a pretty darn good (for the $2 cost) burrito I would eat every now and then from Taco Bell.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #679 on: January 25, 2024, 01:18:56 PM »
It honestly wasn't bad. Not sure I'd call it good, but it certainly wasn't awful. ...it all combines to make more of a "goop," but halfway tasty goop.

My assessment as well.  I very rarely seek it out.  But when I do, it's not bad.

...in a few hours I might have a change of heart on that.

:lol

I just also like how they constantly change items so there's a lot of options for me.

But do they really?  It's basically 4 items:  ground beef, chicken, beans, and sometimes steak.  And they just mix and match that in various ways with various textures (soft tortilla, crunchy tortilla, thicker fried chewy tortilla, chips) to create a huge menu with those same items that are just called by different names.  It's basically just choosing your meat and then deciding what shape and texture you want the vehicle (and adding condiments). 

And I'm not saying that's necessarily a "bad" thing.  Just good/creative marketing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #680 on: January 25, 2024, 01:31:09 PM »
I just hate that the moment I wanted to go vegetarian for one week, they removed the friken Fiesta Veggie Burrito.  That was a pretty darn good (for the $2 cost) burrito I would eat every now and then from Taco Bell.

Yeah, I'm not even vegetarian but this was a go to item for me.

I just also like how they constantly change items so there's a lot of options for me.

But do they really?  It's basically 4 items:  ground beef, chicken, beans, and sometimes steak.  And they just mix and match that in various ways with various textures (soft tortilla, crunchy tortilla, thicker fried chewy tortilla, chips) to create a huge menu with those same items that are just called by different names.  It's basically just choosing your meat and then deciding what shape and texture you want the vehicle (and adding condiments). 

And I'm not saying that's necessarily a "bad" thing.  Just good/creative marketing.

Oh you are 100% right.  Different combos of the same ingrediants.  But there are a few different things from time to time, like their fries for example and right now they have a flatbread and no fries.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #681 on: January 25, 2024, 01:40:44 PM »

And if you order online you customize any item with anything you like. The menu really is crafted exactly as you describe. And I'm not sure how much of it actually tastes any different. I had a burrito, a taco, and nachos, and honestly it all just tasted like Taco Bell. There was nothing really distinct about any of it.

One thing I'll throw out is that using a flour tortilla to hold a crunchy taco together is a pretty good idea. It's really quite functional functional. At the same time it only further makes everything taste the same. It's like when kids go to a soda fountain and combine every single flavour (suicide), except with taco bell fixins.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #682 on: January 25, 2024, 02:21:54 PM »
I don't think I've had Taco Bell in over 20 years.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #683 on: January 25, 2024, 03:39:54 PM »
Haven’t had Taco Bell since maybe early 2019. Been craving it actually but there’s not a ton in Brooklyn. Was planning on having some last year when I was in Jersey recording drums but ended up having Covid and figured those two wouldn’t mix well.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #684 on: January 25, 2024, 06:12:49 PM »
When I was younger, Taco Bell and Jack in the Box were my frequent fast food stops at 2am after leaving the clubs, due to 1) them being open, 2) them being cheap, and 3) them being tasty. After not going there for a few years I had a hard time ordering as they didn't have the dollar menu I had basically memorized in my 20s.

I had a burrito, a taco, and nachos, and honestly it all just tasted like Taco Bell. There was nothing really distinct about any of it.

Exactly. So if you like Taco Bell's flavor, you'll like just about everything on the menu. If you don't, you won't like anything. Also, I have often said what you did about how the items are assembled. The distribution of ingredients is never right, like one bite of burrito you get mostly beans, the next one as too much sour cream, etc...

I still think their greatest contribution to the culinary world is the Fritos Burrito. The Taco Bell guys and Friots guys who got together on that one deserve a Nobel Prize.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #685 on: January 25, 2024, 06:33:07 PM »
I love TB but the two in my city are kinda not worth the 12 minute drive in either direction. I will hit it up when I go play games with my buddies, who live 2 minutes away.

Also, try this once and thank me later: Cheesy Gordita Crunch with the Dorito shell.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #686 on: January 25, 2024, 06:40:52 PM »
When I was younger, Taco Bell and Jack in the Box were my frequent fast food stops at 2am after leaving the clubs, due to 1) them being open, 2) them being cheap, and 3) them being tasty.

If I were to edit this post, I would put point #1 in 72 pt. font, point #2 in 12 pt. font, and point #3 in 4 pt. font.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #687 on: January 25, 2024, 07:31:47 PM »
In the Pacific Northwest we have a local chain called Taco Time that destroys TB, but it is admittedly a tad more expensive. I just rarely eat at TB unless I’m craving a Nachos Bell Grande as comfort food.  But Taco Time has daily fresh ingredients and terrific food, and I also think it’s kind of cool that every thing they give you is compostable. The bags, wrappers, cups, lids, straws…all made of compostable materials.

There’s also the less popular Taco Del Mar which is set up a bit more a Subway. You start at one end of the counter, pick out your burrito or taco ingredients one by one, and they make it in front of you as you go down the line.  But that one is a bit more “it depends on which one you go to”. Some of them are amazing and others are shady and I think it depends on the owner and how much business they do.

But with the far better “Mexican food” choices we have, Taco Bell is a rarity.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #688 on: January 25, 2024, 07:39:07 PM »
There’s also the less popular Taco Del Mar which is set up a bit more a Subway. You start at one end of the counter, pick out your burrito or taco ingredients one by one, and they make it in front of you as you go down the line.  But that one is a bit more “it depends on which one you go to”. Some of them are amazing and others are shady and I think it depends on the owner and how much business they do.

Sounds like Chipotle.  Not my favorite, but I'll eat there if people I am with (usually either of my two sons) want to.  I prefer a proper taqueria or taco truck, preferably run by people who speak little if any English, which we have in abundance here.  But that's not really "fast food" in the traditional sense.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #689 on: January 25, 2024, 07:50:01 PM »

Sounds like Chipotle.  Not my favorite, but I'll eat there if people I am with (usually either of my two sons) want to.  I prefer a proper taqueria or taco truck, preferably run by people who speak little if any English, which we have in abundance here.  But that's not really "fast food" in the traditional sense.

I haven’t been to a chipotle in a long time, but as I recall you’re pretty close with this assessment. I just think that chipotle might carry a bit more variety? Whereas Taco Del Mar pretty much just sticks to burritos, tacos, and nachos. Their signature food is their fish taco (which I’ve never actually tried) but their burritos are MASSIVE and are wrapped up tight in foil, and the only way to eat them is to “peel as you go”.  If you try to take it out of the tightly wrapped foil, you’ll be wearing it.  But man are they GOOD!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #690 on: January 25, 2024, 07:56:11 PM »
Same concept.  The only additional "item" is a bowl, which is just the burrito fillings in a bowl without the tortilla.  And similar in how they wrap them as well.  Every time, as they are heaping the filling ingredients on, I'm thinking, "there's no way she's/he's going to be able to wrap that."  And sometimes, it takes them a couple of tries.  :lol  The foil is structurally essential.  :lol  But they don't have fish.  They have carne asada, shredded beef, carnitas, chicken, and some vegetarian concoction that looks sort of like quinoa and chorizo.  It seems to be pretty popular in these parts, as I think I've seen someone in line ordering it almost every time I've been in a Chipotle in the last few years (which is only a little above a handful, but still). 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: January 25, 2024, 08:43:02 PM »
In the Pacific Northwest we have a local chain called Taco Time that destroys TB, but it is admittedly a tad more expensive. I just rarely eat at TB unless I’m craving a Nachos Bell Grande as comfort food.  But Taco Time has daily fresh ingredients and terrific food, and I also think it’s kind of cool that every thing they give you is compostable. The bags, wrappers, cups, lids, straws…all made of compostable materials.

Taco Time SLAYS. It is more expensive but you get a fresh, healthy (relatively), filling meal for only a couple more $$. Also, I just heard the other day they are now selling their hot sauce by the bottle?!?! If I could i would buy that by the gallon.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #692 on: January 25, 2024, 09:12:25 PM »

Taco Time SLAYS. It is more expensive but you get a fresh, healthy (relatively), filling meal for only a couple more $$. Also, I just heard the other day they are now selling their hot sauce by the bottle?!?! If I could i would buy that by the gallon.

Could not agree more. My wife grew up near the first one in White Center. I’m glad they are all over now, but part of me doesn’t want them to go nationwide because I’m paranoid the quality would suffer.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #693 on: January 25, 2024, 09:50:13 PM »

Could not agree more. My wife grew up near the first one in White Center. I’m glad they are all over now, but part of me doesn’t want them to go nationwide because I’m paranoid the quality would suffer.

Did not know that was where the fist one was. There was one in Lakewood where I grew up, and a couple between where I live and where I work.

I cannot honestly say I've ever been to Taco Del Mar. I don't care much for Qdoba or Chipotle. If I want cheap mexican food, it's Taco Bell. If I want good, quick mexican food, it's Taco Time.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #694 on: January 26, 2024, 08:16:06 AM »
Also, try this once and thank me later: Cheesy Gordita Crunch with the Dorito shell.

Yeah that's a good combo.  For me, I also like to get the chicken instead of beef with a gordita crunch. I feel the chicken goes better with gordita shell and the sauce they use on it. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #695 on: January 26, 2024, 09:16:46 AM »
Since fast food is bumped already, I’m going to put in a plug for Krispy Krunchy Chicken.

I had never heard of it before, but an Instagram comedian from Mississippi said it was the best chicken anywhere and they were all over down south. I was in Daytona at the time, so I found one to try it out. They don’t have their own stores, they are just a chain that sets up shop in gas stations around the country.  And I gotta say, the description of “crack chicken” was not wrong. That was amazing fried chicken! And their honey butter biscuits are out of this world.

When I came back to Washington, I found out they have some up here too…but they are not as popular here as they are in the south, so most of the ones near me are only open for lunch. But DANG! If you like fried chicken, try and find one.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #696 on: January 26, 2024, 10:36:41 AM »
Since fast food is bumped already, I’m going to put in a plug for Krispy Krunchy Chicken.

I had never heard of it before, but an Instagram comedian from Mississippi said it was the best chicken anywhere and they were all over down south. I was in Daytona at the time, so I found one to try it out. They don’t have their own stores, they are just a chain that sets up shop in gas stations around the country.  And I gotta say, the description of “crack chicken” was not wrong. That was amazing fried chicken! And their honey butter biscuits are out of this world.

When I came back to Washington, I found out they have some up here too…but they are not as popular here as they are in the south, so most of the ones near me are only open for lunch. But DANG! If you like fried chicken, try and find one.

I think I may have been there.  My son and I stopped at a place like that on our way to Phoenix several years ago.  I don't remember it because I was trying to eat and drive at the same time.  I'll have to see if there are any closer to me.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #697 on: January 26, 2024, 10:45:54 AM »
^^ Just checked right now.  There are some stores, by itself or in gas stations, in the LA region.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #698 on: January 26, 2024, 02:44:49 PM »

Yeah that's a good combo.  For me, I also like to get the chicken instead of beef with a gordita crunch. I feel the chicken goes better with gordita shell and the sauce they use on it. 

If I remember, I will try that next time, though I like the beef kinda nestled and packed in at the bottom of the shell.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #699 on: February 15, 2024, 11:36:46 AM »
So I have some Popeye coupons and left them on my desk at work for the last few weeks, my coworker today says lets go get some popeyes and use those coupons for lunch today.  OK cool, lets do it.

Well, we get there and there's a long line. When we order, turns out they are out of fried chicken and there's a 15 minute wait.  OK, not a big deal, we can wait so we do along with a bunch of other people.  The person who was in front of us finally gets their order and he says it's missing fries, the lady working fixes it after a bit of an argument because she thought she gave him the fries before the wait.  Anyway, she was wrong, gives him the fries and he says "fuck you, you are fucking ugly!" and leaves. 

Wow, just wow.  Reminds me of how people got killed over popeyes a couple years ago.  So ridiculous.