15 (12.5%)
Whataburger
2 (1.7%)
In-n-Out
5 (4.2%)
Other (discuss in comments)
19 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Author Topic: Best Fast Food  (Read 30365 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Best Fast Food
« Reply #490 on: January 29, 2023, 04:39:36 PM »
That is a big convenience store! When I think "convenience store" I think of this:

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #491 on: January 30, 2023, 06:34:34 AM »
Have you guys seen buc-ee's, that's one hell of a "convenience store'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #492 on: January 30, 2023, 07:31:51 AM »
I always stop at Wawa when I'm in the Philly area.  GREAT hoagies.

Quick story: so when I took my daughter to school each morning in Philly, I had to swing onto Columbus Boulevard, and do a u-turn at the Home Depot to get on the highway.  There were two homeless guys that always sat there (one was in a wheelchair).  So one morning, I stopped at Wawa to get breakfast for my kid - pancakes! - and I got a breakfast sandwich that they make and keep by the register.  I go out and I'm at the light, and I notice that the guy in the wheel chair has a "Good News Bible" on his lap. Now, I'm not religious, but that's the exact bible I had as a kid (and still have it).  So I rolled down the window and said "Good morning" and "Good book! That's the version of the Bible I had when I was a kid".   And he said something like "great book" or whatever.  So I said "are you guys hungry?"  "Yep".  I said "it's not much, but here, take my breakfast sandwich".   

He looked at it, turned it around a bit, and handed it back: "I wouldn't eat that shit and neither should you!".   True story.

:) :)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #493 on: January 30, 2023, 08:35:06 AM »
Culver's

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #494 on: January 30, 2023, 08:56:49 AM »
That is a big convenience store! When I think "convenience store" I think of this:

Funny enough, both this exact store and WaWa are not too far away from each other.  (I live very close to this)   :lol

Wawa's or Sheetz or Quickchek (or similar) are more of these bigger convenience stores that have basically taken over the old school ones like pictured here.  These new ones have hot food made to serve and usually gas stations (there was a local WaWa for example that's been around for a very long time, finally closed last year just to move down the street so it can re-open with a gas station).  The food is often usually pretty decent too with lots of options for reasonable prices. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #495 on: January 30, 2023, 09:00:16 AM »
Have you guys seen buc-ee's, that's one hell of a "convenience store'
I drive past one on a halfway regular basis. Never actually gone inside. Because of where it is it's where you often have to stop for gas between Dallas and Austin, but I always hit one of the no-name places across 35. When their pumps wouldn't take my card last time through I had to hit Buc-ees for gas and it was hellish. They've got a hundred fucking pumps, and it's still a traffic jam to get to one. Kind of pissed me off, honestly.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #496 on: January 31, 2023, 01:01:39 PM »
One thing I’ve always said is that McDonald’s has completely cornered the breakfast sandwich market. Even though a few other places have their own version, there’s just no one who can compete with the egg McMuffin. (In my case, the sausage with egg) That, along with the fact that McDonald’s opens up earlier than anyone else (most of them at 5am)
My favorite breakfast sandwiches from a fast food chain are from Bojangles.  The steak and egg biscuit is tasty, as is the cajun chicken filet biscuit.  Love the Bo Rounds on the side (basically huge round tater tots).

EDIT: Just realized that a lot of you are in the Northeast or in the West and may not know what a Bojangles is.  I bet Stads and bosky know, though.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #497 on: January 31, 2023, 01:09:03 PM »
One thing I’ve always said is that McDonald’s has completely cornered the breakfast sandwich market. Even though a few other places have their own version, there’s just no one who can compete with the egg McMuffin. (In my case, the sausage with egg) That, along with the fact that McDonald’s opens up earlier than anyone else (most of them at 5am)
My favorite breakfast sandwiches from a fast food chain are from Bojangles.  The steak and egg biscuit is tasty, as is the cajun chicken filet biscuit.  Love the Bo Rounds on the side (basically huge round tater tots).

EDIT: Just realized that a lot of you are in the Northeast or in the West and may not know what a Bojangles is.  I bet Stads and bosky know, though.

I sure do.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #498 on: January 31, 2023, 01:54:38 PM »

That cajun chicken filet biscuit is good stuff, I haven't tried the steak and egg biscuit though.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #499 on: February 01, 2023, 07:09:26 AM »

I sure do.
:tup

That cajun chicken filet biscuit is good stuff, I haven't tried the steak and egg biscuit though.
I love it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #500 on: February 01, 2023, 09:43:46 AM »
Bojangles is, hands down, my favorite fast food fried chicken.  (although my memory of it goes back to 1988-1992, so a lot could have changed in 30 years, including my own tastes)  I wish we had them out here, as I would eat there all the time.  ...and I'm glad we do'nt have them out here, as I would eat there all the time.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #501 on: February 01, 2023, 10:04:48 AM »
Bojangles is, hands down, my favorite fast food fried chicken.  (although my memory of it goes back to 1988-1992, so a lot could have changed in 30 years, including my own tastes)  I wish we had them out here, as I would eat there all the time.  ...and I'm glad we do'nt have them out here, as I would eat there all the time.
Your memory is just fine.  My favorite fast food fried chicken as well, although I must admit I like a little Popeye's every now and then.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #502 on: February 01, 2023, 02:44:28 PM »
Ah..we're onto breakfast sammies? The McDonald's Sausage McGriddle always gives me a chubby. Love those things.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #503 on: February 01, 2023, 02:48:16 PM »
Ah..we're onto breakfast sammies? The McDonald's Sausage McGriddle always gives me a chubby. Love those things.
They never really agreed with me.  Like it's trying to do too much.

I don't know.  I think it's just me, because plenty of people love those things.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #504 on: February 01, 2023, 03:35:40 PM »
I do like those Sausage, Egg & Cheese McGriddle.  Like most things when it comes to McDonald's breakfast, I just wished they were better priced for my budget so that I can get them more often.  Probably for the best if they don't lower the price.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #505 on: February 01, 2023, 03:51:46 PM »
they raised the price of their breakfast items recently.

I used to go there and get 2 breakfast sandwiches and hashbrowns and it would cost me maybe $6. I think I paid around $9 or $10 the last few times.

damn inflation.

I wish they would at least bring it back as an all-day thing again.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #506 on: February 01, 2023, 04:39:28 PM »
Never tried a McGriddle.  The idea just doesn't appeal to me.  In general, I don't like sweet and savory together.  It's just an odd combination to me.  For example, I have always loved cottage cheese, but HATE it with fruit, which is how a lot of people eat it.  Same with cheesecake.  I love cream cheese.  I love fruit, chocolate, and just about any other sweet thing that you would flavor a cheesecake with.  But I hate them together in a cheesecake. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #507 on: February 01, 2023, 05:57:03 PM »
Never tried a McGriddle.  The idea just doesn't appeal to me.  In general, I don't like sweet and savory together.  It's just an odd combination to me.  For example, I have always loved cottage cheese, but HATE it with fruit, which is how a lot of people eat it.  Same with cheesecake.  I love cream cheese.  I love fruit, chocolate, and just about any other sweet thing that you would flavor a cheesecake with.  But I hate them together in a cheesecake.

You're just weird man.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #508 on: February 01, 2023, 06:01:51 PM »

Are you saying cheesecake is savory?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #509 on: February 01, 2023, 10:17:18 PM »

You're just weird man.

Yeah, what else is new.  But at least I'm not Tim, so I comfort myself with that.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #510 on: February 01, 2023, 11:26:51 PM »

You're just weird man.

Yeah, what else is new.  But at least I'm not Tim, so I comfort myself with that.

Tim has never even heard of a McGriddle.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline T-ski

« Reply #511 on: February 02, 2023, 06:55:15 AM »

You're just weird man.

Tim has never even heard of a McGriddle.

Are we sure Tim has heard of McDonalds?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #512 on: February 02, 2023, 07:37:14 AM »

You had me up to "cheesecake". That is the food of the Gods.   When I have a nice meal, the perfect capper is a cup of hot coffee and a slice of cheesecake.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #513 on: February 02, 2023, 07:39:12 AM »
Agreed.  Cheesecake is just wonderful.

I've had it made all kinds of ways, with chocolate or other flavors, or topped with all kinds of fruit, but my favorite cheesecake is just plain cheesecake.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: February 02, 2023, 07:41:26 AM »
Agreed.  Cheesecake is just wonderful.

I've had it made all kinds of ways, with chocolate or other flavors, or topped with all kinds of fruit, but my favorite cheesecake is just plain cheesecake.

Word.  I even made it once and it wasn't bad.  Not world class, but good enough.  I made it in a regular cake format, then made smaller versions to save/freeze.   Wonderful. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #515 on: February 02, 2023, 07:54:54 AM »

Cheesecake can absolutely be savory... I used to do a white cheddar cheesecake with a potato chip crust as an appetizer that was unfuckingbelievably good.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #516 on: February 02, 2023, 08:07:35 AM »

Cheesecake can absolutely be savory... I used to do a white cheddar cheesecake with a potato chip crust as an appetizer that was unfuckingbelievably good.

That sounds insane and I want it.

But while it CAN be savory, it's generally a sweet thing. I'd imagine finding a savory cheesecake is much more rare.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #517 on: February 02, 2023, 08:10:35 AM »
Adami wants RJ to prove him wrong by making a Meatloaf cheesecake. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #518 on: February 02, 2023, 08:17:37 AM »

I actually agree with this. I'm pretty similar.  And while I don't really like syrup, for some reason, I enjoy the mcgriddle.  But it's not my go to for McDonald's breakfast, that would be the bacon egg and cheese biscuit.  I just really enjoy their biscuit sandwiches there way more.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #519 on: February 02, 2023, 08:35:07 AM »

But while it CAN be savory, it's generally a sweet thing. I'd imagine finding a savory cheesecake is much more rare.

No, cheesecake itself is not savory.  But the cream cheese is.  That's what I'm saying--taking something savory and sweetening it is generally something I don't like.  But as with a lot of things, it's subjective.  Or maybe "context specific" is a better descriptor.  Gimme a sweet BBQ sauce or sweet and sour sauce with just about any kind of meat, and I'm with it.

I actually agree with this. I'm pretty similar.  And while I don't really like syrup, for some reason, I enjoy the mcgriddle.  But it's not my go to for McDonald's breakfast, that would be the bacon egg and cheese biscuit.  I just really enjoy their biscuit sandwiches there way more.

Yeah, exactly.  I don't feel any need to try to overcome my initial inclination to dislike a McGriddle because if I go to McD's for breakfast, there are plenty of options that I really like.  I'm thrilled with a biscuit sandwich or a McMuffin any day.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: February 02, 2023, 08:50:46 AM »

Do tell....

Offline pg1067

« Reply #521 on: February 02, 2023, 09:54:21 AM »
Adami wants RJ to prove him wrong by making a Meatloaf cheesecake.

How 'bout this instead:

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #522 on: February 02, 2023, 10:05:48 AM »

Of course...very rare...also knew a chef who did a bleu cheese cheesecake as a side for a filet mignon. Not a bleu cheese with steak guy myself, but according to others it worked.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #523 on: February 02, 2023, 10:11:15 AM »
@adami... here's a recipe for a white cheddar one that seems pretty solid... for the crust just crush the chips and line the pan with them, maybe just a touch of butter but not too much since the chips are so oily on their own...

https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/sharp-cheddar-cheesecake/678f5be3-eac8-45b5-89ab-02c10e045d1c

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: February 02, 2023, 10:12:32 AM »

Of course...very rare...also knew a chef who did a bleu cheese cheesecake as a side for a filet mignon. Not a bleu cheese with steak guy myself, but according to others it worked.

I DO like bleu cheese with my steak, but that seems a bit rich even for me.