15 (12.5%)
Whataburger
2 (1.7%)
In-n-Out
5 (4.2%)
Other (discuss in comments)
19 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Author Topic: Best Fast Food  (Read 30355 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Best Fast Food
« Reply #595 on: March 07, 2023, 01:03:58 PM »
Panera used to be good before they got acquired by in 2018 (I think), since then it feels like overpriced hospital cafeteria food.
Looks like they were bought out by a holding company in 2017. Since I've never found it particularly good I don't have a frame of reference, but it never surprises me when investors buy a company and promptly ruin it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #596 on: March 07, 2023, 01:46:26 PM »
Had a McGriddle this morning.

Still not my thing.

BACON EGG AND CHEESE BISCUIT OR BUST FOR ME..    THEN PUT HALF THE HASHBROWN ON IT.. ASK FOR THEIR HOT SAUCE,  ADD HOT SAUCE  FROM THEIR EGG SAUSAGE BURITO ,,... BOOM
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #597 on: March 07, 2023, 03:16:36 PM »
For the CT folks out there I've been finding myself at Nardelli's during my work travels. Something about the Italian with Everything on it just hits the spot. I think it's the diced pickles.

YES!!!!!!!!

That's my exact order when I go; I used to eat there more often when my daughter was at school in Wallingford.  I will still sometimes stop on my way to Ridgefield to see a show.

Hell yeah, glad to see I'm in good company. Which one do you stop at? I'm guessing like most places there may be some locations better than others. I've only been to the Newtown Road one in Danbury and the Main Avenue one in Norwalk.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #598 on: March 08, 2023, 06:17:53 AM »
For the CT folks out there I've been finding myself at Nardelli's during my work travels. Something about the Italian with Everything on it just hits the spot. I think it's the diced pickles.

YES!!!!!!!!

That's my exact order when I go; I used to eat there more often when my daughter was at school in Wallingford.  I will still sometimes stop on my way to Ridgefield to see a show.

Hell yeah, glad to see I'm in good company. Which one do you stop at? I'm guessing like most places there may be some locations better than others. I've only been to the Newtown Road one in Danbury and the Main Avenue one in Norwalk.

I've been to the Danbury one; but usually I go to the one in Wallingford (I think it's Wallingford; it's on Rte. 5) and the one right off I-84 in Waterbury.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #599 on: March 08, 2023, 07:05:33 AM »
They opened a new sub shop near my house, Capriotti's. I gave it a chance and wasn't terribly impressed, spent nearly $17 capastrami sandwich that was largely coleslaw. There is a Jimmy John's opening up a few doors down so I'll end up going there.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #600 on: March 13, 2023, 08:18:00 AM »
Haven't eaten KFC in a bit back home, so not sure if it's a local thing or not, but in Singapore I had a wrap with chicken strips, bacon, and mac and cheese.  SO good.  Also, they have normal fries (I think in the US, they just have potato wedges?) and you can add cheese to them which has a slight spice.  I'm honestly impressed how good this KFC meal was.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #601 on: March 13, 2023, 08:23:39 AM »
Haven't eaten KFC in a bit back home, so not sure if it's a local thing or not, but in Singapore I had a wrap with chicken strips, bacon, and mac and cheese.  SO good.  Also, they have normal fries (I think in the US, they just have potato wedges?) and you can add cheese to them which has a slight spice.  I'm honestly impressed how good this KFC meal was.

I haven't had KFC in the US since 2008 or so, but I did have it when I was in Ireland back in 2018. I was shocked how good it was.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #602 on: March 13, 2023, 08:38:08 AM »

I haven't had KFC in the US since 2008 or so, but I did have it when I was in Ireland back in 2018. I was shocked how good it was.

There's a KFC in Amsterdam I hit up when I work out there since its one of the few spots locally to my hotel that's open late, but it's almost like a less greasy US version with a similar menu.  It's good, but doesn't stand out to me or is any better than the US version. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #603 on: March 13, 2023, 09:26:21 AM »
I like sampling fast food overseas. It's always interesting to see the differences/similarities. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #604 on: March 13, 2023, 09:35:54 AM »

They got rid of the potato wedges a few years ago in favor of these:

They're well above average unless they've been sitting a while.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #605 on: March 13, 2023, 09:42:20 AM »
KFC is absolutely awful.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: March 13, 2023, 09:56:42 AM »

Not their bowls.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #607 on: March 13, 2023, 10:21:29 AM »
I do like KFC bowls.

Speaking of international chains of fast food places, I was curious to see if there is a McDonald's in India and what would they have instead of beef items, and someone pointed out the menu to me and some of it looks pretty interesting.  Of course, they still keep stuff like the McChicken, the Sausage McMuffin with Egg, the filet o fish, etc.

https://www.mcdonaldsindia.com/products.html

It's pretty sad when NA doesn't have as many interesting vegetarian options.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 10:27:00 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #608 on: March 13, 2023, 10:52:12 AM »
I wouldn't go that far, but Bojangles is better.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #609 on: March 13, 2023, 10:55:53 AM »
I do like KFC bowls.

Speaking of international chains of fast food places, I was curious to see if there is a McDonald's in India and what would they have instead of beef items, and someone pointed out the menu to me and some of it looks pretty interesting.  Of course, they still keep stuff like the McChicken, the Sausage McMuffin with Egg, the filet o fish, etc.

https://www.mcdonaldsindia.com/products.html

It's pretty sad when NA doesn't have as many interesting vegetarian options.

I was in India last year and while I didn't have McDonalds when I was there, I did have KFC, Pizza Hut and Burger King. IMO they are miles better than the version we have here in the US. I'm talking about the localized options, they are very creative and taste so much better. Not sure if it's a product of the ingredients used or how they're prepared. Either way the fast food over there with the big named chains taste really great.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #610 on: March 16, 2023, 07:09:06 AM »
The best mcds I've ever had was in London and France. Even the items that are sold worldwide taste significantly better over there than here.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #611 on: March 16, 2023, 09:15:06 AM »
The best mcds I've ever had was in London and France. Even the items that are sold worldwide taste significantly better over there than here.

I can't remember McDs in London, but when my wife and I first visited in 2001, we ate a lot of KFC - mostly because it was the closest food to our hotel.  The popcorn chicken was totally solid.  We ate McDs in Florence (which, in retrospect, seems like blasphemy, but I think it was just once) and in Berlin.  I vaguely recall it not being very good in Berlin.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #612 on: March 16, 2023, 09:49:07 AM »
I once had Pizza Hut in Vietnam. It was....an experience.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Harmony

« Reply #613 on: March 16, 2023, 10:16:22 AM »
I've largely avoided this thread because I probably have "fast food" about once a year - if that.

But no love for Panda Express?  Really?
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #614 on: March 16, 2023, 10:19:46 AM »
I've largely avoided this thread because I probably have "fast food" about once a year - if that.

That's an interesting example of a place that exists to do only one thing. They serve 15 different dishes, and only sell one of them with any regularity. "Yes, I'd like the combo plate with orange chicken, orange chicken, and can I get orange chicken instead of rice, please?" The other fourteen are for people who've never been there before.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #615 on: March 16, 2023, 10:20:16 AM »
I wouldn't go that far, but Bojangles is better.

I tried BoJangles for the first time last summer while in PA, really good chicken
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #616 on: March 16, 2023, 10:22:10 AM »

I remember once in LA I was driving to a home session with a client and was like 20 minutes early so I stopped by a local stand-alone panda express for a quick bite. I'm a vegetarian so I got fried rice, lo mein and maybe a spring roll or something. I've eaten at Pandas in malls and stuff and it was....serviceable, given the situation, but this time? I actually threw the food away after 2-3 bites. It tasted like it was cooked in dirty dishwater. Won't go back anymore. Left, literally, such an awful taste in my mouth.

Then again, I'm a big fan of Subway, so what do I know?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Harmony

« Reply #617 on: March 16, 2023, 10:24:09 AM »

That's an interesting example of a place that exists to do only one thing. They serve 15 different dishes, and only sell one of them with any regularity. "Yes, I'd like the combo plate with orange chicken, orange chicken, and can I get orange chicken instead of rice, please?" The other fourteen are for people who've never been there before.

You expected me to read the whole thread?!?  :lol

But in reality - at least in my area (YMMV) they do a nice job with the proteins and veggies.  I can't speak to the orange chicken (looks good, too many calories for me) but the chicken mushroom with a side of greens is *chef's kiss*

Offline Harmony

« Reply #618 on: March 16, 2023, 10:26:20 AM »

I remember once in LA I was driving to a home session with a client and was like 20 minutes early so I stopped by a local stand-alone panda express for a quick bite. I'm a vegetarian so I got fried rice, lo mein and maybe a spring roll or something. I've eaten at Pandas in malls and stuff and it was....serviceable, given the situation, but this time? I actually threw the food away after 2-3 bites. It tasted like it was cooked in dirty dishwater. Won't go back anymore. Left, literally, such an awful taste in my mouth.

Then again, I'm a big fan of Subway, so what do I know?

Yeah, I've heard there can be wide variability as to quality.  I'm certainly no connoisseur of fast food, that's for sure.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #619 on: March 16, 2023, 10:55:15 AM »

But in reality - at least in my area (YMMV) they do a nice job with the proteins and veggies.  I can't speak to the orange chicken (looks good, too many calories for me) but the chicken mushroom with a side of greens is *chef's kiss*
In fairness, the orange chicken actually is tasty for what it is. Kind of like JitB tacos. I'd probably stop short of calling it "food," but it was tasty. My problem was that the other stuff was wildly inconsistent. Sometimes the rice would be under or over cooked, and sometimes the lo mein would taste funky. And even when they're done right they're not great. Even the egg rolls were bland.

In truth, though, Chinese food is pretty much an ancient relic (or Chinese secret) at this point. You've either got crappy American Chinese places, or authentic, real Chinese places, and the latter, while tasty, isn't really what I want, either. That's something people of our generation remember that kids wouldn't understand. Lunch special with egg roll, soup, and an entree for five bucks, max, and it was great. Now the food's overpriced and bland, made for Americans who only want to taste salt.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #620 on: March 16, 2023, 11:07:06 AM »
Being married to a Chinese immigrant, I'm exposed to real, authentic Chinese food.  And in most cases, it is wildly different from anything you would get in what Americans would consider a "Chinese restaurant."  It's a bit like trying to compare Taco Bell to real Mexican food.  Anyone who has had the real thing understands that Taco Bell is a counterfeit that is Mexican largely in name (and shape) only.  That doesn't mean it can't taste good or fill you up in a pinch, but it's not "Mexican food."  Similar concept, but I would say the gulf is even a bit wider. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Harmony

« Reply #621 on: March 16, 2023, 11:28:21 AM »
Oh yeah, I totally get that.  This is the "Best Fast Food" thread after all.  I would never consider Taco Bell Mexican food and certainly understand the difference between Panda Express and authentic Chinese food (having traveled to China for a 2 week vacation in 2016, believe me, I know).  I didn't crave Chinese food for about 6 months after that!

I like cooking.  I took a Thai cooking class once and have made my own Sushi after taking a class in that as well.  I wouldn't say I am anywhere close to authentic, but I'd much rather prepare these foods myself than eat fast food versions.  I just like Panda in a pinch and would choose that over McDs or pretty much any other form of fast food.  Because I like veggies.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #622 on: March 16, 2023, 11:29:33 AM »
@bosk1 how good would you say the Chinese Restaurants are in Chinatown San Fran? When I visited back in 2013, I went to a couple of them, trying mostly to avoid the big famous ones and the two that I ended up going to were amazing. They definitely tasted very different from the typical American Chinese chains and were delicious and a ton more flavorful.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #623 on: March 16, 2023, 12:22:18 PM »
I'm a dumbbell when it comes to Chinese food; I probably wouldn't know the difference (by looking) between authentic and "American" Chinese food.  I do know that in New England, there is a lot of crappy Chinese food, but when you find a good one, ooh la la.  There's a place just over the border in Mass that is to die for; it's a 30 to 45 minute drive now from where we live, depending on traffic, but my stepson used to work there, and we make it work, usually for special occasions.  That's our current "Thanksgiving Tradition"; I go on Wednesday, buy a bunch of food, then we sit on the couch all afternoon and eat that.  I know, I know, this is what divorce does to families.  :) :) :) :):)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #624 on: March 16, 2023, 02:10:14 PM »
Oh yeah, I totally get that.  This is the "Best Fast Food" thread after all.  I would never consider Taco Bell Mexican food and certainly understand the difference between Panda Express and authentic Chinese food (having traveled to China for a 2 week vacation in 2016, believe me, I know).  I didn't crave Chinese food for about 6 months after that!

Oh, sure.  I get that as well.  I was more responding to what Barto posted, and basically trying to say that, even what he was referring to as good Chinese restaurants probably aren't really Chinese either.  And to your point, yeah, nothing wrong with the fast food angle either. 

I like cooking.  I took a Thai cooking class once and have made my own Sushi after taking a class in that as well.  I wouldn't say I am anywhere close to authentic, but I'd much rather prepare these foods myself than eat fast food versions.

:tup

@bosk1 how good would you say the Chinese Restaurants are in Chinatown San Fran? When I visited back in 2013, I went to a couple of them, trying mostly to avoid the big famous ones and the two that I ended up going to were amazing. They definitely tasted very different from the typical American Chinese chains and were delicious and a ton more flavorful.

Depends on which ones, but there are definitely good ones there.  I'm painting with a broad brush here, but as a general rule of thumb, if you see a lot of Chinese people in there and the menus are posted in Chinese and they have to give you a separate one printed in English, it's probably legit.  If it is filled with tourists, probably not.  The farther you get away from the Chinese Cultural Center and closer to Stockton, the better.  But I would say better (and cheaper) ones in S.F. are in the Sunset district along Judah, west of 19th.  Not nearly as touristy.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #625 on: March 16, 2023, 02:13:17 PM »
The ... closer to Stockton, the better.

Something which is almost never true in any other context.   :biggrin:

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #626 on: March 16, 2023, 02:33:12 PM »

Oh, sure.  I get that as well.  I was more responding to what Barto posted, and basically trying to say that, even what he was referring to as good Chinese restaurants probably aren't really Chinese either.  And to your point, yeah, nothing wrong with the fast food angle either. 
I said "real" Chinese, not good Chinese, and they were. If not, they're doing a really terrible job at marketing to us laowai.  :lol

Something that really cracked me up was when I learned that most written Chinese at restaurants means something completely different than what we assume it does. Kind of like They Live. We see "daily lunch special" and the Chinese print under it says "We serve real food, too!" And when you look at the menu and see D37-spicy chicken with broccoli the Chinese D37 might be soup with tendon and fish ball.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #627 on: March 16, 2023, 04:52:55 PM »
When my wife is out of town, or having dinner with friends, I often tell my kids to give me their top 3 picks for dining out/take-out for our dinner. Invariably, their #1 option is Panda Express.

And then my wife is all "Aw, you got Panda Express without me?"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Harmony

« Reply #628 on: March 17, 2023, 08:16:23 AM »
I can only surmise that the quality of PE varies greatly from location to location.  I have a friend who is an extremely picky eater and he regularly gets lunch at PE.  Although I have it on authority from his wife that a Jumbo Jack would be his first choice.  So to me, that's not being picky.  But when we go out with them to a nice restaurant he does seem pretty careful about what he orders from the menu.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #629 on: March 17, 2023, 01:37:35 PM »

+1 on the chicken mushroom dish.  I also usually get the teriyaki chicken that they actually cut in front of you.  It's been awhile since I went to one though. From my experience, they are kind of inconsistent between portion sizes and quality.  I regularly go to the one at a mall in Denver when I work out there (it's been awhile now) because the quality and size were great, but the one near work locally is never that good on both accounts.