15 (12.5%)
Whataburger
2 (1.7%)
In-n-Out
5 (4.2%)
Other (discuss in comments)
19 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Author Topic: Best Fast Food  (Read 30439 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Best Fast Food
« Reply #455 on: January 17, 2023, 01:00:47 PM »
Also if you aren't used to consuming that much sugar, it kind of messes with your stomach too.

I went like 6 or so years without drinking soda but I started again.  Don't know why, but Coke is really the only soda I have a desire to drink.  And i don't know what it is, but a can of coke is better than a bottle of coke too. I've been treating myself to a coke once a week.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #456 on: January 17, 2023, 01:03:37 PM »
I'm partial to a McD's fountain Coke as well.  Mexican Coke in the glass bottle is pretty nice too. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #457 on: January 17, 2023, 01:45:21 PM »
Also if you aren't used to consuming that much sugar, it kind of messes with your stomach too.

I went like 6 or so years without drinking soda but I started again.  Don't know why, but Coke is really the only soda I have a desire to drink.  And i don't know what it is, but a can of coke is better than a bottle of coke too. I've been treating myself to a coke once a week.

This is me; I try to avoid soda where I can (I'm on a semi-unofficial kick to avoid high fructose corn syrup) and if I have a craving I make my own (it's basically a watered down ginger ale).   But every once and again, I NEED an ice cold Coca-Cola, and nothing is going to stop me from getting it.  :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: January 17, 2023, 01:46:28 PM »

This is me; I try to avoid soda where I can (I'm on a semi-unofficial kick to avoid high fructose corn syrup) and if I have a craving I make my own (it's basically a watered down ginger ale).   But every once and again, I NEED an ice cold Coca-Cola, and nothing is going to stop me from getting it.  :)

And it's not out of possibility, when that urge comes and I'm on the road, to get that coke at a McDonalds. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #459 on: January 17, 2023, 01:54:06 PM »
Right there with you guys.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #460 on: January 17, 2023, 04:59:34 PM »
As someone who hasn't had soda really in the last 20+ years, how does one coca cola taste better than another?

The same way one steak tastes better than another or one cooks eggs taste better than another's.

I'm partial to a McD's fountain Coke as well.  Mexican Coke in the glass bottle is pretty nice too. 

Yup.  Also, Jarritos (lime, fruit punch and orange are great).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #461 on: January 17, 2023, 06:09:04 PM »
The odd part is that it's supposedly because the syrup comes in stainless steel tanks, rather than plastic bags (which Coca Colo Co. does because McD's is its biggest customer by a huge margin).

Fascinating. I did not realize this McD's having the best Coke was a thing.

...until my early 20s when I liked long island iced teas for a few weeks. 

I liked long island iced teas for the majority of my 20s, I am sad to say.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #462 on: January 17, 2023, 06:13:05 PM »
Why wouldn't you? They are delicious.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #463 on: January 17, 2023, 07:23:11 PM »

To what are you responding to?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #464 on: January 17, 2023, 07:57:02 PM »
I gotta say the best fountain soda is still McD's soda. When I'm hungover (happens a lot less frequently now) my go to would be to wake up and get a large coke from McD's.

McDonald's coke is the best fountain coke

THIS.

Ditto.  The odd part is that it's supposedly because the syrup comes in stainless steel tanks, rather than plastic bags (which Coca Colo Co. does because McD's is its biggest customer by a huge margin).

That is interesting. Their Coke tastes better to me because it tastes less harsh & sweet almost as if it's watered down slightly. And I get that flavor whether it has ice or not. I think Coke is also better at non-fast food restaurants too. But I read some of those articles you mentioned and they say ShitDonald's Coke has more syrup  ???
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #465 on: January 18, 2023, 05:56:59 AM »

Liking long island ice teas.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #466 on: January 18, 2023, 07:54:48 AM »

Indeed they are. However their inebriating effects caused me to leave some wreckage over the years.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #467 on: January 18, 2023, 08:06:30 AM »
Ah.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: January 18, 2023, 08:32:17 AM »
I gotta say the best fountain soda is still McD's soda. When I'm hungover (happens a lot less frequently now) my go to would be to wake up and get a large coke from McD's.

THIS.

Ditto.  The odd part is that it's supposedly because the syrup comes in stainless steel tanks, rather than plastic bags (which Coca Colo Co. does because McD's is its biggest customer by a huge margin).

That is interesting. Their Coke tastes better to me because it tastes less harsh & sweet almost as if it's watered down slightly. And I get that flavor whether it has ice or not. I think Coke is also better at non-fast food restaurants too. But I read some of those articles you mentioned and they say ShitDonald's Coke has more syrup  ???

It's not "more" though; there's a sparkly-ness to McDonald's Coke.  That's not the way to say it; it's hard to sort of articulate, but there s a FEEL difference as well as a taste.  That stainless steel answer could be a big part of it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: January 18, 2023, 08:37:37 AM »

Indeed they are. However their inebriating effects caused me to leave some wreckage over the years.

So...  when I got remarried, even though I was in my mid-40's, and my girlfriend/fiancé/wife was in her 40's, she was married to a piece of crap for 15 years.  So I thought I would do the right thing and ask both her mom and dad (they're divorced) for permission.  Dad's was meeting at TGIFriday's for a couple Long Island Iced Teas with her brother.  That's been a thing ever since.  My FiL and stepson now always find time to have a LIIT when we travel.

Funny story, though:  when my stepson got married, there was a rule at the bar that no drinks with multiple alcohols would be served.  I pulled one of the bartenders aside and said "look, I got $40 and the fact I'm the stepfather of the groom that says you can figure out a way to get me a couple Long Islands to celebrate" and I told the story.  He says "no problem; in the future, with me, ask for a "whiskey sour" and you'll get that exact same drink!"   I went over to my stepson and my father-in-law, and we toasted, and I told them "ask the tall bartender for a whiskey sour and this is what you'll get".    About an hour later, my stepson comes up and says "taste this Long Island".  It was disgusting.  Apparently, the tall bartender didn't know who the groom was, and when he asked for a whiskey sour, wink wink, he actually got a whiskey sour.  :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #470 on: January 18, 2023, 09:08:50 AM »
I pulled one of the bartenders aside and said "look, I got $40 and the fact I'm the stepfather

Don't cross the crooked step!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #471 on: January 18, 2023, 09:11:38 AM »

THIS.

It's not "more" though; there's a sparkly-ness to McDonald's Coke.  That's not the way to say it; it's hard to sort of articulate, but there s a FEEL difference as well as a taste.  That stainless steel answer could be a big part of it.

"The water and Coca-Cola® syrup are pre-chilled before entering our fountain dispensers with the ratio of syrup set to allow for ice to melt". Doesn't that mean more syrup?

https://thetakeout.com/why-mcdonalds-coke-tastes-better-1848594098

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #472 on: January 18, 2023, 09:16:19 AM »

https://www.rd.com/article/mcdonalds-coke/

According to this readers Digest article, McD use not only steel cans but also chill the water and syrup lines which improves the quality of the carbonation, since colder liquids retain more dissolved CO2.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #473 on: January 19, 2023, 06:26:54 PM »
did Culvers just get rid of their Home Brewed Root Beer? they switched from Pepsi to Coke products I guess, but some posts on FB were saying they don't sell it anymore. If that's the case, it's a shame.

Although I can't really have it anymore given I'm diabetic, it's too bad per it was 1 of the signature things there. Maybe Coke made them remove it as part of their contract?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: January 20, 2023, 07:02:23 AM »
Slightly off topic but my brother raves about Culvers and even though I have one a couple miles from my house I've never tried it. I should give it a go.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #475 on: January 20, 2023, 09:49:15 PM »
You should. I guess some people aren't so much for the "Butter Burger," and how healthy they are can be a concern (but that goes with any Fast Food). But they can be pretty tasty.

My go-to is the North Atlantic Cod Filet. It's the right blend of a crispy fish sandwich with a sauce that is less-is-more.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #476 on: January 22, 2023, 08:41:20 AM »
For those that don’t know, Culver’s butter burger means they just toast their buns with butter.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #477 on: January 26, 2023, 08:51:00 PM »
I decided to have McD's for lunch today to check out this whole Coke situation. It was good, but I was ready for a cold drink and would have enjoyed any carbonated soda at that point. Not something I would ever specifically crave, and I am not sure I'd pick it out of a blind taste-test.

I never eat there so wasn't sure what food to order. I saw they had a Bogo $1 Quarter Pounder so got 2 of those. They hit the spot. I wasn't paying attention, but I think they were $6 each, which is ridiculous, but getting 2 for $7 plus a $1 coke was alright in terms of value, filling me up, and taste. The experience didn't do anything to bump McD's up from being toward the bottom of my list of fast food spots.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #478 on: January 27, 2023, 09:44:15 AM »
I get the Jones for McD's about twice a year.  My family calls it my semi-annual McDonald's craving.  My wife also refers to it as CrapDonald's, but sometimes it's just what you want.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #479 on: January 27, 2023, 09:55:48 AM »
I get the Jones for McD's about twice a year.  My family calls it my semi-annual McDonald's craving.  My wife also refers to it as CrapDonald's, but sometimes it's just what you want.

Right there with you.  I know it's not "good" food.  But sometimes, that's okay.  Thankfully, I at least came to a place where I recognize that the craving will probably be satisfied with less of a quantity than I might otherwise be inclined to order, so instead of 2 quarter pounders or 2 big macs, and supersize fries and drink, a hamburger, small fries, and small drink will probably satisfy.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #480 on: January 27, 2023, 05:22:44 PM »

Ha ha! I call it something similar even though I eat it much more than 2 times a year.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #481 on: January 27, 2023, 05:43:12 PM »
One thing I’ve always said is that McDonald’s has completely cornered the breakfast sandwich market. Even though a few other places have their own version, there’s just no one who can compete with the egg McMuffin. (In my case, the sausage with egg) That, along with the fact that McDonald’s opens up earlier than anyone else (most of them at 5am)

So many other places try to get in on the breakfast sandwich market and they end up just giving up.  Subway tried to do breakfast for a while, but I never hear about it anymore. I think Taco Bell tried to enter the market for a bit but I’m pretty sure that failed.

Jack-in-the-Box is the only one who even comes close. Their ultimate breakfast sandwich is pretty gross, and yet good at the same time. And I guess it’s been around long enough where obviously people like it.  But I think they are distant second place

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #482 on: January 27, 2023, 05:56:05 PM »
Taco Bell still has breakfast.  Got some decently priced small breakfast burritos, but yeah, McDonald's has breakfast covered pretty good.  When it will be the most busy is near the end of breakfast hours.  I do like Carl's Jrs Breakfast burrito and Burger.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #483 on: January 27, 2023, 06:55:43 PM »
I guess it was because I worked construction for so long. The job usually starts at 6am and McDs and the occasional 24hr Jack in the Box is the only thing open before then.

I only just recently got to try Chick-fil-A’s breakfast sandwich because I work an office job and they open at 7am.  It was pretty good, but the only have “small” coffee which is lame.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: January 27, 2023, 07:14:59 PM »
One thing I’ve always said is that McDonald’s has completely cornered the breakfast sandwich market. Even though a few other places have their own version, there’s just no one who can compete with the egg McMuffin. (In my case, the sausage with egg) That, along with the fact that McDonald’s opens up earlier than anyone else (most of them at 5am)

Jack-in-the-Box is the only one who even comes close.

I am not a breakfast guy, even at home I rarely eat a real breakfast. But those Egg McMuffins are so good. When I was younger sometimes I'd get some sort of breakfast sandwich on sourdough from Jack in the Box. I remember really liking those.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #485 on: January 28, 2023, 02:50:13 PM »

So many other places try to get in on the breakfast sandwich market and they end up just giving up.  Subway tried to do breakfast for a while, but I never hear about it anymore. I think Taco Bell tried to enter the market for a bit but I’m pretty sure that failed.

Jack-in-the-Box is the only one who even comes close. Their ultimate breakfast sandwich is pretty gross, and yet good at the same time. And I guess it’s been around long enough where obviously people like it.  But I think they are distant second place

I'm not a big fan of breakfast sandwiches, but the Jack-in-the Box bacon, egg & cheese biscuit destroys the Egg McMuffin (especially the original with nasty-ass Canadian bacon).  And JITB is open 24 hours (and also serves everything on its menu any time).

Taco Bell still has breakfast, although it did just run an advertising campaign talking about scaling back the breakfast menu because it went a bit too far (I can't speak to it with personal knowledge, though).

The best fast food breakfast item is French toast sticks (JITB, Carl's Jr. and Burger King have them), although you can't eat them in a car.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #486 on: January 28, 2023, 08:38:16 PM »
I really enjoy McDonald's breakfast, but my main go to is wawa.

They have ready to go breakfast sandwiches called sizzlis

And then you can also order breakfast hogies that I love

Offline pg1067

« Reply #487 on: January 29, 2023, 01:56:18 PM »
Wawa?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #488 on: January 29, 2023, 01:57:47 PM »
Never even heard of Wawa. Must not be in the northwest?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #489 on: January 29, 2023, 03:52:09 PM »
Yeah, wawa is a northeast coast conveniences store you go in to shop, but they also make food and you order it to go.

I've always enjoyed them