15 (12.5%)
Whataburger
2 (1.7%)
In-n-Out
5 (4.2%)
Other (discuss in comments)
19 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Author Topic: Best Fast Food  (Read 30418 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Best Fast Food
« Reply #385 on: December 07, 2022, 03:06:08 PM »
Funny you should mention that in particular. I’m not sure how many people know about that company policy. They are actually NOT ALLOWED to say “no problem” or “sure” in response to a customer saying “thank you”. They actually have to say “my pleasure”.

Some people might cringe, I kinda like it. It just feels a bit like old fashioned manners, and that’s not always a bad thing.
I'd rather hear it from people who mean it. And I can tell you that a "you bet" or "no problem" from me means more than a canned "my pleasure" (which I also us). Down here you can actually judge people's manners. If people are forced to use platitudes and friendly expressions then what's the point.

The way that I look at it is that they are still kids. They are still being trained. That is why we teach our children to say please and thank you. When they are four or five years old, they may not mean it, but we train them to do it, so that it becomes natural later. These kids are not finding a permanent career at Chick-fil-A. But they are being trained with etiquette skills that are a bit above and beyond. I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing. Set the standards for politeness in the workplace place a little higher, and even when it gets relaxed down to reality a bit, it will be higher than it was.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline dparrott

« Reply #386 on: December 07, 2022, 03:30:10 PM »
WENDY'S ITALIAN CHICKEN SANDWICH!  OMG!  :metal
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #387 on: December 07, 2022, 03:40:47 PM »
Something Bosk said earlier about In and Out being a well put together operation reminded me of something I wanted to touch on.

We don’t have In and Out up here in Washington, but I will ALWAYS frequent Chick-Fil-A if for no other reason than their cleanliness.

CFA is VERY similar to I&O in that they hire the best.  Getting in at the I&O near me requires knowing someone who's already in there.  I believe they both start employees above minimum wage, but they're very clearly looking for quality.

The hiring method you mentioned for Hollywood Video makes tons of sense.  Especially when you're dealing with unskilled labor, you have to do something to thin the heard.  Considering most applications are online these days (so you can't see writing and they can't submit without completing the application), you can't really do that anymore.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #388 on: December 22, 2022, 12:22:49 PM »

Offline T-ski

« Reply #389 on: December 22, 2022, 01:23:57 PM »
McDonalds run by Machines?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kjeEygtoUw

Seems like a ploy to get people to go his Instagram.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #390 on: December 22, 2022, 01:57:04 PM »
All if shows is a conveyer system at the drive-thru and the automated ordering kiosk that already exists in a number of McDs locations.

I recall seeing a video of a prototype automated fast food kitchen...probably 5ish years ago.  Don't remember if it was McDs or any particular fast food franchise.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #391 on: January 12, 2023, 11:46:34 AM »
Just want to bitch about Five Guys for a sec.   

My best bud and his wife had a baby last week and we went over to meet it. I asked them if they wanted food or anything and they said they were craving Five Guys. I haven't been there in a while because I find the fries shitty and the burgers nothing to write home about, but I said sure.   

4 burgers, 3 fries, and 3 shakes was $93 before tip. What in the actual flying fuck is that? How does that place stay in business with prices like that? If it was stellar, that'd be one thing. But the fries are soggy by the time you get out the door and the burgers are mediocre at best for what you're paying. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #392 on: January 12, 2023, 11:53:41 AM »

My best bud and his wife had a baby last week and we went over to meet it. I asked them if they wanted food or anything and they said they were craving Five Guys. I haven't been there in a while because I find the fries shitty and the burgers nothing to write home about, but I said sure.   

4 burgers, 3 fries, and 3 shakes was $93 before tip. What in the actual flying fuck is that? How does that place stay in business with prices like that? If it was stellar, that'd be one thing. But the fries are soggy by the time you get out the door and the burgers are mediocre at best for what you're paying.

Brian, I had the same complaint a while ago. It's been almost two years since I ate there, for that very reason. One afternoon I stopped for a burger and a dog - I didn't even order fries or a drink - and it was $19 and change.  I said no, went to Subway and got an 11 3/4"* long sub for like $8.00.

* I threw that in to make you laugh. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #393 on: January 12, 2023, 12:09:18 PM »
I think it's a top tier burger among fast food/fast casual places, but don't generally eat there because of the price. Dig the fries, too. The thing is, it seems like you're getting a good deal because the selection of add-ons is all free. If I can get free grilled onions and shrooms on a burger I'm all in. When you start at 12 bucks for the burger and 5 for the fries, though, you're not saving anything. Every time I eat there (only when I'm on the road) I'm out about $20 for burger, fries and drink plus tax. So, yeah, fuck that place. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: January 12, 2023, 12:21:42 PM »
I think the burgers and fries are really good, but the price is insane.  There's one near work so I'll suck it up and pay the price if I'm craving that food, but due to the price, it can never be a consistent lunch spot for me.

Also, I went to Jersey Mikes yesterday for lunch.  Got a giant sub.  $19.  WTF.  They raised their prices since I last went in December. And it bothers me because their normal sized sub is a bit too small to fill me up and the giant is too big.  So it puts me in a shit spot to over spend on lunch.  Like Five Guys, it's so damn good that I'll get it every once in awhile, but it's too expensive to be a consistent lunch spot.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #395 on: January 12, 2023, 12:36:40 PM »
Also, I went to Jersey Mikes yesterday for lunch.  Got a giant sub.  $19.  WTF.  They raised their prices since I last went in December. And it bothers me because their normal sized sub is a bit too small to fill me up and the giant is too big.  So it puts me in a shit spot to over spend on lunch.  Like Five Guys, it's so damn good that I'll get it every once in awhile, but it's too expensive to be a consistent lunch spot.
Yeah, I stopped doing JM's because it'd gotten so pricey. That said, the giant does work for me in specific situations. If I've got a concert in the evening early enough to preclude a pre-show meal,  I might do that for lunch so I'll have the second half in the fridge for when I get home. Nineteen bones for a sandwich still pisses me off, but not so much if it's for two meals.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #396 on: January 12, 2023, 12:58:15 PM »
One great thing that happened to me was when I found an offer to get 15% cashback on my card on my next Jersey Mike's order is that when I went into the app, I found that I had enough points on their rewards program to get a free regular sub.  That plus a $2 burrito from Taco Bell makes that one an easy satisfied meal to have that day.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #397 on: January 12, 2023, 01:04:02 PM »
One great thing that happened to me was when I found an offer to get 15% cashback on my card on my next Jersey Mike's order is that when I went into the app, I found that I had enough points on their rewards program to get a free regular sub.  That plus a $2 burrito from Taco Bell makes that one an easy satisfied meal to have that day.

My local JM (not sure it's something other stores do) have double points on Mondays.  So if I do go, I get lots of points and it does add up to a free sub fairly quickly.  I also get those cash back offers with my credit card that helps, get like a dollar and change back to make it a little easier on the wallet. 

They also just opened a new taco bell near work.  The only thing worth mentioning there is that this new one is actually cheaper than the one 10 minutes further away.  Like I can actually get the spicy potato tacos for $1 and the beefy burrtio for $3.  While not healthy, it's actually a very cheap option which is what I tend to go for if I had JM or 5G the same week to kind of even it out.  It's just gotten so expensive to eat out these days.  I really should go back to bringing lunch, but I do value the time to get out of the building for a bit.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #398 on: January 12, 2023, 03:48:47 PM »
Does pizza hut count?

I could eat pizza hut all day every day and my god do I love those breadsticks and sauce  :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: January 12, 2023, 08:46:53 PM »
I think it's a top tier burger among fast food/fast casual places, but don't generally eat there because of the price. Dig the fries, too. The thing is, it seems like you're getting a good deal because the selection of add-ons is all free. If I can get free grilled onions and shrooms on a burger I'm all in. When you start at 12 bucks for the burger and 5 for the fries, though, you're not saving anything. Every time I eat there (only when I'm on the road) I'm out about $20 for burger, fries and drink plus tax. So, yeah, fuck that place. 

Can't you get a good burger, fries, and soda from a chain like Red Robin for less than $20?

They also just opened a new taco bell near work.  The only thing worth mentioning there is that this new one is actually cheaper than the one 10 minutes further away.  Like I can actually get the spicy potato tacos for $1 and the beefy burrtio for $3.  While not healthy, it's actually a very cheap option which is what I tend to go for if I had JM or 5G the same week to kind of even it out.

I pack a lunch just about every work day but on those rare days I don't Taco Bell is my usual go-to place for lunch. I generally don't want to spend more than $5-6 for lunch on a work day, and can always find something tasty at Taco Bell that fits the bill.

Does pizza hut count?

As fast food? No. As pizza? Barely.  :biggrin:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #400 on: January 12, 2023, 09:41:31 PM »

Can't you get a good burger, fries, and soda from a chain like Red Robin for less than $20?

Yes, you could.  There was even an offer promotion from Red Robin for like a couple of weeks where if you opt to dine-in, you get to have a burger, fries, and soda for $10.00 (that's without tax or tip, though).  I do like Red Robin and I wished they offer more favorable coupons for me to go though.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #401 on: January 12, 2023, 11:05:59 PM »

No such thing as Red Robin down here. Couldn't tell you. However, according to their website I can get a perfectly good bacon-cheese Wataburger with large fries and drink for $12, so yeah, your point stands. The thing is, if I'm going to splurge and eat a burger/'fries I'll go to a proper burger place and get something much better than either for about the same price as 5g. On the infrequent occasion I eat a burger I'd rather pay $20 for exceptional than $12 for acceptable.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: January 12, 2023, 11:15:31 PM »
No such thing as Red Robin down here.

It was a popular place for us in high school when we had enough money for an actual meal out, and the one by where I live now always seems packed. We go there occasionally.

When I was in high school, they offered unlimited french fries (I think they still do) - they are nice, thick, seasoned steak fries - and I could pack the food away. When they took my order, I would tell them to I was going to want a refill on the fries about 10 minutes after they brought out my initial order, just so they could plan ahead.

I agree with you on your burger pricing philosophy. If I need a quick burger fix for lunch, I usually opt for a couple off the value menu and accept I am net getting a gourmet burger.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 05:41:01 AM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: January 13, 2023, 06:19:25 AM »
I live in Charlotte where every direction you look is some gastropub that thinks putting pimento cheese on a burger and charging your $25 without a side is some revolutionary idea, by comparison Five Guys is a good price for a quality burger.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #404 on: January 13, 2023, 07:01:49 AM »
Five guys is my favorite of the chain burger places, I've never been disappointed by it. But yeah the price has become insane of late. I like Red Robin too, their Love burger with the fried Jalapeno chips used to be my favorite.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: January 13, 2023, 07:58:58 AM »
I have a very large dislike of Red Robin.  I'd rather pay more for Five Guys personally.  But yeah, if I want a burger there's plenty of options that would come in cheaper than 5G.  Most wouldn't be as good IMO, like chain restaurants burgers (including Red Robin) aren't as good IMO. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #406 on: January 13, 2023, 09:12:02 AM »

A GOOD burger from Red Robin?  I haven't been there in quite a while, but it used to be a fairly common destination for my family.  I pretty much ALWAYS left with the feeling that I overpaid for the quality of what we got.  Nowadays, I imagine the price for a burger fries and a drink is comparable to 5G, and I'd rather have 5G 100x out of 100 over RR (unless things have SIGNIFICANTLY changed).  You also have to factor in that RR will take as much as 3x as long depending on whether you have to wait for a table and you have to add in a tip.  Islands has really good burgers.  I've never been there solo, but I imagine it'd be slightly more expensive than 5G - especially when you factor in the tip.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #407 on: January 13, 2023, 10:38:43 AM »
If I had to make my ideal fast food meal, it would consist of:

Burger King original chicken sandwich
McDonalds fries
Taco Bell nachos supreme
And some pop from wherever

Offline pg1067

« Reply #408 on: January 13, 2023, 11:54:05 AM »
If I had to make my ideal fast food meal, it would consist of:

For me, it would be a pre-recipe change Wendy's double, 1980s Carl's Jr. fries (made from the Frispo pellets), a 3-2-2-3 mix of Coke, Sprite, orange soda and rootbeer, and an old-school deep-fried McDonald's apple pie.

Since 3 of those 4 things don't exist anymore, I'd go with a 5 Guys burger, McDonald's fries, the soda mix, and a half chocolate/half vanilla Frosty from Wendy's.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #409 on: January 13, 2023, 12:04:03 PM »
Mine will be

Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supreme
In-N-Out Animal Style fries
McDonalds McFlurry
I'm not too picky on soda, so wherever has root beer, I'll just take that.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #410 on: January 13, 2023, 02:39:05 PM »
You'd take a Crunchwrap over a Mexican Pizza? Wow...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: January 13, 2023, 03:04:53 PM »

I would too, Mexican pizza is just OK IMO

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #412 on: January 13, 2023, 03:10:39 PM »
Last time I was in Taco Bell the Mexican Pizza was still halfway new. What's a crunch wrap?
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #413 on: January 13, 2023, 03:11:30 PM »
Last time I was in Taco Bell the Mexican Pizza was still halfway new. What's a crunch wrap?

Last time I was in a Taco Bell, Falling Into Infinity was halfway new.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #414 on: January 13, 2023, 03:16:11 PM »

Was that a delivery order or did you pick it up?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #415 on: January 13, 2023, 03:38:42 PM »

I can't put a Mexican pizza as part of the cravings box deal on the app, but I can put a crunchwrap supreme.  When Taco Bell brought back the Mexican Pizza, they gave me a coupon for a free one.  I had it.  It was ok. Crunchwrap Supreme would be the item where if they don't sell it anymore, I wouldn't go to Taco Bell anymore.

It's basically a wrap and stuffed in it is ground beef and melted cheese and then they put a tostada in it and top it off lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream before wrapping the tortilla and toasting it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 03:45:07 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #416 on: January 13, 2023, 04:02:12 PM »

I can't put a Mexican pizza as part of the cravings box deal on the app, but I can put a crunchwrap supreme.  When Taco Bell brought back the Mexican Pizza, they gave me a coupon for a free one.  I had it.  It was ok. Crunchwrap Supreme would be the item where if they don't sell it anymore, I wouldn't go to Taco Bell anymore.

It's basically a wrap and stuffed in it is ground beef and melted cheese and then they put a tostada in it and top it off lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream before wrapping the tortilla and toasting it.
So it's a burrito with crunched up chips in it? Taco Bell amuses me because they only have like 12 different things to work with but they've got 8.9161004e+12 some-odd things to do with them.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #417 on: January 13, 2023, 04:30:42 PM »
Isn't Taco Bell's entire menu just (1) beans, ground beef and/or chicken, together with (2) cheese and (3) some veggies in a (4)crunchy or soft tortilla?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: January 13, 2023, 04:33:30 PM »
The crunchwrap supreme is not a burrito, but not far off really.  I might rate it closer to a quesadilla because it gets the hot press.  Definitely one of my favorite TB items. 

Isn't Taco Bell's entire menu just (1) beans, ground beef and/or chicken, together with (2) cheese and (3) some veggies in a (4)crunchy or soft tortilla?

They really only have a handful of food items that get mixed and matched differently to create the items so you are basically right but there's a few items missing here, but you get the idea.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #419 on: January 13, 2023, 04:48:34 PM »
Ah, it's a tostada quesadilla. That's honestly a pretty decent idea.

The crunchwrap supreme is not a burrito, but not far off really.  I might rate it closer to a quesadilla because it gets the hot press.  Definitely one of my favorite TB items. 
Good burritos always get a heat press. For some reason it's mostly only Californites that understand that. You need a light browning on there for several reasons. Lightly crispy is always better than soggy. Lightly crispy will hold up better for hand-held food. Lightly crispy flour tortillas taste great. The best breakfast burrito I've ever had was actually waffled for a minute or so. Best of all worlds.

E.F. Benson