15 (12.5%)
Whataburger
2 (1.7%)
In-n-Out
5 (4.2%)
Other (discuss in comments)
19 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Author Topic: Best Fast Food  (Read 30424 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: Best Fast Food
« Reply #210 on: January 10, 2021, 07:02:42 PM »
Culvers?

I also voted for Popeye's per their impossible to resist Classic Chicken Sandwich. However, unfortunately the Green Beans w/ Turkey Bacon that my wife and I can't get enough of, may have been removed from their menu per an employee we asked last week. WTF  :tdwn :\ :huh:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: January 10, 2021, 07:15:23 PM »
Green beans? Turkey Bacon? There's two foods that do not belong on any restaurant's menu. Not sure if there is a Popeye's here. I know I've never been to one.

Went to Jersey Mike's for the first time yesterday. Thought the sandwich was quite good, but 1) I was pretty hungry and 2) I had a coupon so it was free.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #212 on: January 10, 2021, 07:42:53 PM »
They're building a Jersey Mike's in my town. FIRED UP.

Offline frogprog

« Reply #213 on: January 11, 2021, 08:18:12 AM »
The Big Kahuna cheese steak is REALLY good but my wife and daughter don't like the Jersey Mike's food for some reason so its very rare treat.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: January 11, 2021, 11:17:43 AM »
The Big Kahuna cheese steak is REALLY good but my wife and daughter don't like the Jersey Mike's food for some reason so its very rare treat.

I love the chipotle cheesesteak too; I should grab one for dinner.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: January 11, 2021, 11:29:05 AM »

I love the chipotle cheesesteak too; I should grab one for dinner.

I go to Jersy Mikes for the italian sub, but their cheesesteaks are pretty good.

They're building a Jersey Mike'sChick-Fil-A in my town. FIRED UP.

Fixed that for my town.  We already have a Jersey Mikes luckily.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #216 on: January 11, 2021, 03:23:08 PM »
I almost always get the Italian sub at Jersey Mike's.  Mike's Way, baby.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: January 11, 2021, 05:49:24 PM »
Mouth is already watering.  I would get it for lunch when I traveled to Melbourne, FL, but I haven't done that in over a year, so...

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #218 on: January 11, 2021, 07:19:05 PM »
I love the Wendy's Baconator

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #219 on: January 11, 2021, 07:48:35 PM »
I love the Wendy's Baconator

I'm with you although i usually go with the Son of Baconator from a Sodium/Calorie standpoint. Sadly, since COVID, I've had it maybe twice per I now work from home and there isn't a Wendy's in my neighborhood. But I would go pick up 1 of those near my work, once every couple of weeks for lunch, and along with a Baked Potato + Butter/Sour Cream, it would totally hit the spot.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: January 12, 2021, 08:08:45 AM »

Mikes way add mayo add jalapeno

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: January 12, 2021, 08:10:18 AM »

Mikes way add mayo add jalapeno

for me, add pickles and banana peppers

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: January 12, 2021, 08:33:48 AM »
I LOVE the banana peppers, but they sometimes overwhelm the sandwich, so I either get them on the side, or - and I get weird looks for this - ask them to put them on like a quarter of the sandwich.  Then I either eat that last or (and maybe I've done this once or twice) eat the pieces in tandem.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: January 12, 2021, 08:38:30 AM »
If there's too much (which I don't recall being an issue at Jersey Mikes, but some sub places (cough subway cough) do put too much on them) I've got no issue taking them off myself.  I never understood why a sandwich maker would overload a sandwich with any single condiment or topping unless asked to.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: January 12, 2021, 08:40:20 AM »
If there's too much (which I don't recall being an issue at Jersey Mikes, but some sub places (cough subway cough) do put too much on them) I've got no issue taking them off myself.  I never understood why a sandwich maker would overload a sandwich with any single condiment or topping unless asked to.

Yup; I was thinking Subway the entire time I wrote that.   Nailed it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #225 on: January 12, 2021, 11:42:45 AM »
Since JM's tends to drown their sandwiches in vinegar and oil I'm not sure how banana peppers could overwhelm it. In any case, Mike's way doesn't work for me. Ditch the tomatoes and the seasoning, which is mostly salt anyway. Add mayo and banana peppers (and I do have them bury it with those). I also have them add pickles, but I take those off and eat them separately, as they should be.

I've never even considered getting a hot sub from there. For one thing, the Wreck from Potbelly's is my go-to hot sandwich (with the hot pepper mix). More importantly, though, since they're essentially a deli with good deli meats, it only makes sense to stick with what they do. Besides which, they're one of the few places with really good deli roast beef, so whichever club it is that has that is what I order.

Also, the problem with Jersey Mike's is that they don't do soup. I always prefer a cup of soup to a bag of chips. While they're probably the best of the sandwich chains, I'll often hit Jason's Deli or Macalister's instead, specifically to get a cup of soup along with the sandwich.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: January 12, 2021, 01:08:22 PM »
Since JM's tends to drown their sandwiches in vinegar and oil I'm not sure how banana peppers could overwhelm it. In any case, Mike's way doesn't work for me. Ditch the tomatoes and the seasoning, which is mostly salt anyway. Add mayo and banana peppers (and I do have them bury it with those). I also have them add pickles, but I take those off and eat them separately, as they should be.

I've never even considered getting a hot sub from there. For one thing, the Wreck from Potbelly's is my go-to hot sandwich (with the hot pepper mix). More importantly, though, since they're essentially a deli with good deli meats, it only makes sense to stick with what they do. Besides which, they're one of the few places with really good deli roast beef, so whichever club it is that has that is what I order.

Also, the problem with Jersey Mike's is that they don't do soup. I always prefer a cup of soup to a bag of chips. While they're probably the best of the sandwich chains, I'll often hit Jason's Deli or Macalister's instead, specifically to get a cup of soup along with the sandwich.

Soup and sandwich is a lost art.   I don't really have anyone around me that's good like that.   As it is now, I'm getting my grinders from a local Italian joint near me, and they don't have soup either.  Panera is the only one I know of, and that's not really my speed; the sandwiches are a little to foofy for me (and it's expensive).  There used to be an old school deli near where I used to work (I was still in school) and I could get a good sandwich on Italian bread, and a hot chicken noodle, tomato, or Italian wedding soup.  In winter? Lights out.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: January 12, 2021, 01:12:21 PM »
I do enjoy Panera's soup, but I kind of agree about the sandwiches and price.  I almost never go there.

I think you got to go to a local deli or restaurant (non fast food) for good soup these days.  Houlihans has a really good baked potato soup for example. 

Wendy's Chili isn't terrible, but I really don't go there for that.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #228 on: January 12, 2021, 02:21:34 PM »
I'm contemplating one day going to this place at a nearby mall called Boudin SF that gives you a half sandwich and soup combo and you have the option to upgrade it to a bread bowl for the soup.  I could go for some clam chowder.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: January 12, 2021, 07:28:03 PM »
I'm contemplating one day going to this place at a nearby mall called Boudin SF that gives you a half sandwich and soup combo and you have the option to upgrade it to a bread bowl for the soup.  I could go for some clam chowder.

Chowder or bisque in a bread bowl is bomb.  That's last meal territory for me.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #230 on: January 13, 2021, 11:59:54 AM »

I would prefer a goulasch of some description, but these are good options as well.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: January 13, 2021, 12:32:33 PM »

I would prefer a goulasch of some description, but these are good options as well.

What do you call a goulasch?  My mom and her mom would often make what they called a "Hungarian goulasch" and I ate that a lot growing up; but I've found that what I ate is not really usually what others did.   Ours was beef - not high end cuts, but not stew meat, either - in a mushroom and onion sauce thickened with flour or sour cream (or both).  No heavy spices - no parika and (unusually for my grandmother, who put it in EVERYTHING) not a lot of garlic.  Served over egg noodles, usually.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #232 on: January 13, 2021, 12:43:12 PM »

What do you call a goulasch?  My mom and her mom would often make what they called a "Hungarian goulasch" and I ate that a lot growing up; but I've found that what I ate is not really usually what others did.   Ours was beef - not high end cuts, but not stew meat, either - in a mushroom and onion sauce thickened with flour or sour cream (or both).  No heavy spices - no parika and (unusually for my grandmother, who put it in EVERYTHING) not a lot of garlic.  Served over egg noodles, usually.
That would be stroganoff. Goulash seems to be more of a Northern thing, don't see it much down here, but when I've had it it's been heavily paprika oriented. Really, though, I figure it's just one of the many Eastern European dishes that's common in every country but with a slight variation and a different name. I suspect disputes over whether or not paprika belongs in goulash has probably been the source of much bloodshed. 

edit: Oh, and insofar as Eastern European stews go, your crew got it right. Bigos is where it's at.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: January 13, 2021, 01:17:42 PM »

That would be stroganoff. Goulash seems to be more of a Northern thing, don't see it much down here, but when I've had it it's been heavily paprika oriented. Really, though, I figure it's just one of the many Eastern European dishes that's common in every country but with a slight variation and a different name. I suspect disputes over whether or not paprika belongs in goulash has probably been the source of much bloodshed. 

edit: Oh, and insofar as Eastern European stews go, your crew got it right. Bigos is where it's at.

I love all those hearty stew-like dishes.   I don't remember it in the "stroganoff", but I do know my grandmother had a big tin of paprika that she used a LOT.

We never called it "bigos", but both her (Hungarian) and my DAD'S mom (Polish) made versions that we would also look forward to.  None of the family were especially GREAT cooks, but they did know their way around a stew pot.  And it's a cliche, but rooted in truth: always better the second or third day.

I may actually make a stew; I haven't done that in a while.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #234 on: January 13, 2021, 01:32:05 PM »

I love all those hearty stew-like dishes.   I don't remember it in the "stroganoff", but I do know my grandmother had a big tin of paprika that she used a LOT.

We never called it "bigos", but both her (Hungarian) and my DAD'S mom (Polish) made versions that we would also look forward to.  None of the family were especially GREAT cooks, but they did know their way around a stew pot.  And it's a cliche, but rooted in truth: always better the second or third day.

I may actually make a stew; I haven't done that in a while.

I have been yearning for stew for months. Mom would take stew beef, take flour and gently pan fry but not completely. Then she would put whatever veggies she had in the fridge, potatoes, carrots, whatever it was . Add water and red wine and spices!

Fuckin A man!  :metal

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #235 on: January 13, 2021, 01:41:00 PM »
My stepbrother had me over the other night and served up honest to goodness beef bourguignon that was one of the best things I've eaten in ages. At the end of the day it really is just beef stew, I can do something similar, but when you take the time to lovingly prepare it, minding every detail, it really is a wonderful thing.

We seem to have moved away from fast food. Uh, anybody know a fast food joint that serves beef bourguignon?
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: January 13, 2021, 01:44:17 PM »
Was thinking about the soup a bit more, I used to work at a Saladworks for a bit and they had some pretty solid soups as well as paninis for those who like a soup and sandwich.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #237 on: January 13, 2021, 02:54:49 PM »

As Barto said, that sound more like a stroganoff. Goulash to me is more the central European style stews from Czechia or Hungary; meat based, and typically lacking in grains or potatos (though can be served alongside them).
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #238 on: January 14, 2021, 12:22:59 PM »
in Minnesota,

Davanni's would also go on to my list. Although it's not exactly Fast Food as it's a sit-down restaurant, but it's sort of like Fast Food given you don't get waited-on or pay a tip. And a large percentage of their business is Take Out and Catering.

but the HOAGIES is as consistent as food I've ever had. Been going there for the better part of 30+ or more years.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #239 on: January 14, 2021, 12:36:58 PM »
What is the name of that Chinese chain in Minnesota (or at least, in the Minneapolis metro area)?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: January 14, 2021, 12:47:04 PM »
What is the name of that Chinese chain in Minnesota (or at least, in the Minneapolis metro area)?

Panda Distress?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #241 on: January 14, 2021, 12:53:18 PM »
I wasn't sure where else to post this outside of the food thread, but it seemed fitting.

Has anyone tried Dunkin's new Sourdough breakfast sandwich? I must confess, they're pretty freaking good and I find myself getting one or two of them a week. Don't get me wrong, it's not as good as a fresh BEC off the grill, but it's damn near perfect as far as fast food goes. The sourdough is awesome in both texture and flavor. There's a healthy amount of bacon that's actually good tasting, and you get two eggs instead of one like all the other sandwiches. It's hot and filling, and I would highly recommend. 4.5/5 stars.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: January 14, 2021, 12:59:23 PM »

Panda Distress?

;D :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #243 on: January 14, 2021, 01:00:31 PM »

Panda Distress?

No.  It's a local chain.  Or, at least, was in the mid and late '90s.  I just can't remember the name.  So, when I was there in '95, I ate at what I think is the original restaurant, which was a pretty nice Asian bistro.  When I went back there with my wife in '98, I asked some friends if we could go there, and they took us to another location, which was not at all like what I had eaten at before, and was just cafeteria-style counter service fast-food "Chinese," very much akin to Panda Express.  I guess the main restaurant spun off a fast food chain?  I don't know. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #244 on: January 14, 2021, 01:07:07 PM »
I wasn't sure where else to post this outside of the food thread, but it seemed fitting.

Has anyone tried Dunkin's new Sourdough breakfast sandwich? I must confess, they're pretty freaking good and I find myself getting one or two of them a week. Don't get me wrong, it's not as good as a fresh BEC off the grill, but it's damn near perfect as far as fast food goes. The sourdough is awesome in both texture and flavor. There's a healthy amount of bacon that's actually good tasting, and you get two eggs instead of one like all the other sandwiches. It's hot and filling, and I would highly recommend. 4.5/5 stars.
*snip*
Jack in the Box does pretty much the same thing (including two fried eggs) but also includes a slice of ham. Haven't had one in 20 years, but I was pretty fond of them back in the day. Insofar as breakfast sandwiches go, there's was the tops. I like a sausage, egg, and cheese biscuit as much as the next guy, but it doesn't come close to that sandwich.
E.F. Benson