15 (12.5%)
Whataburger
2 (1.7%)
In-n-Out
5 (4.2%)
Other (discuss in comments)
19 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Author Topic: Best Fast Food  (Read 30264 times)

Offline Anguyen92

Re: Best Fast Food
« Reply #140 on: December 19, 2020, 01:25:58 PM »
The shakes at Sonic are good (especially if they have it half off if you order it on their app).  The Slushy was not as good.  It felt like it was more ice than juice and hard to drink at times.  The food, itself, is bland, but I would prefer eating their hot dogs there than Wienerschnitzel (which surprisingly we haven't mentioned yet in this thread).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #141 on: December 19, 2020, 01:47:33 PM »
I picked other and chipotle. My favorite fast food burger is Steak ‘n Shake. And I prefer Moe’s to Chipotle.

I have heard that Steak 'n Shake is great, but I have not tried them.  Haven't seen them here.  Not sure where the closest one is.

I've heard the same.  Looks like the only NoCal location is in San Jose, and there are a couple in Reno.  Not much better down here.  Maybe I'll seek one out next time I go to Vegas.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #142 on: December 19, 2020, 02:40:33 PM »
Steak and Shake has a very nice selection of diverse burgers. It's not just some bullshit like how Taco Bell and Denny's make 50 items from the same base of 15-20 ingredients. Also, their Wisconsin Buttery sandwich is fucking amazing for something that only has a bun, beef patty, gallon of melted butter, and finely chopped candy-sweet onions that were cooked down in butter.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #143 on: December 19, 2020, 03:56:10 PM »
One place I don't think I've seen mentioned here is Checkers/Rallys. I think it's a southeast thing I love Checkers, the best fast food fries.

This is a factual statement. Also if I'm buying frozen fries at the grocery store I go with the Checkers ones.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #144 on: December 19, 2020, 05:45:53 PM »
The best frozen french fries are these:

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #145 on: December 19, 2020, 06:47:24 PM »
A close second but I could never really get them crispy enough.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #146 on: December 19, 2020, 06:50:05 PM »
I don't prefer my fries to be crispy. I like a thicker fry, like steak fries.

We have an air fryer that crisps them up pretty good though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: December 19, 2020, 09:22:57 PM »
I picked other and chipotle. My favorite fast food burger is Steak ‘n Shake. And I prefer Moe’s to Chipotle.

I have heard that Steak 'n Shake is great, but I have not tried them.  Haven't seen them here.  Not sure where the closest one is.

Steak and shake has some good burgers and shakes but their fries are terrible. I'm just not a fan of shoestring fries.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #148 on: December 20, 2020, 08:17:07 AM »
Where fries are concerned, my preference is crinkle-cut nice and crispy, deep fried. But I prefer to DIP mine in ketchup rather than POUR ketchup over the fries (so unsophisticated  :yeahright).

But some people prefer to dip their fries in mayonnaise or mustard to which I say -  :tdwn

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #149 on: December 20, 2020, 08:31:28 AM »

Steak and shake has some good burgers and shakes but their fries are terrible. I'm just not a fan of shoestring fries.

Their fries are phenomenal when they are hot and fresh. But then because they are so thin they get cold fast and they lose that good flavor quickly.

My favorite burger is the garlic steak burger. Garlic butter on the bun. So freaking good.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #150 on: December 20, 2020, 08:32:48 AM »
Where fries are concerned, my preference is crinkle-cut nice and crispy, deep fried. But I prefer to DIP mine in ketchup rather than POUR ketchup over the fries (so unsophisticated  :yeahright).

But some people prefer to dip their fries in mayonnaise or mustard to which I say -  :tdwn

Does a good garlic aioli count as Mayo?
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #151 on: December 20, 2020, 09:04:11 AM »

Does a good garlic aioli count as Mayo?

YOU CAD!!  :tdwn

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #152 on: December 20, 2020, 10:13:51 AM »

There’s a few on the west coast but you really need to head to the Midwest to get the good stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #153 on: December 20, 2020, 10:14:59 AM »

Mayonaise!

I also make my own fry dip at home:  mayo, ketchup (NOT CATSUP), brown mustard, couple drops of either Worcestershire sauce or sometimes horse radish, some garlic powder and a little salt.  I just eyeball the quantities, but there is as much mayo as the ketchup and mustard combined, a couple drops or so of the Worcestershire, and to takes on the rest.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #154 on: December 20, 2020, 10:21:43 AM »
Sounds very close to the burger sauce I make which I also use to dip fries into although I add a little bit of pickle juice and black pepper to it as well.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: December 20, 2020, 10:59:38 AM »
Sounds very close to the burger sauce I make which I also use to dip fries into although I add a little bit of pickle juice and black pepper to it as well.

And... I'm stealin' that!

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #156 on: December 20, 2020, 11:31:11 AM »

Mayonaise!

I also make my own fry dip at home:  mayo, ketchup (NOT CATSUP), brown mustard, couple drops of either Worcestershire sauce or sometimes horse radish, some garlic powder and a little salt.  I just eyeball the quantities, but there is as much mayo as the ketchup and mustard combined, a couple drops or so of the Worcestershire, and to takes on the rest.

OK - that recipe could turn me to the dark side but it sounds like it would be outstanding with seafood.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: December 20, 2020, 01:13:45 PM »
Burger King stomps all over Maccy D.

A Fresh Double Whopper that's actually hot - cannot compare to a wimpy Big Mac ( no pun intended )  ;D

But my fave fast / junk food is probably the Donor Kebab Wraps I used to get in Guildford, Surrey.

Not served on top of a pitta bread but wrapped in a tortilla. They're so good.

There is a place literally next door from my house. I get takeaway like twice a year cause afterwards I always

need to drink about 6 pints of water and go for a long run to work it off.

But yeah - Kebab Wraps. When I lived in Dubai - there was a "Shwarma" place near our house and we left Dubai in '88

And I still remember how they taste.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #158 on: December 20, 2020, 01:44:10 PM »
Kibbeh wraps and grape leave wraps are the bomb.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

• DT.net Member
« Reply #159 on: December 20, 2020, 03:54:51 PM »
LOVE grape leaves.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #160 on: December 20, 2020, 08:49:56 PM »

And... I'm stealin' that!

Hell yeah. That little bit of brine really does add to the sauce.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #161 on: December 21, 2020, 08:08:45 AM »
Kibbeh wraps and grape leave wraps are the bomb.

Do you eat your Kibbeh raw?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: December 21, 2020, 10:05:42 AM »
But yeah - Kebab Wraps. When I lived in Dubai - there was a "Shwarma" place near our house and we left Dubai in '88

Lately I've been loving this kind of food.  I have a shwarma marinade I use on chicken.  However, other than "street meat" in NYC, there isn't too much of that style of food in fast food around here.  I do miss street meat in NYC, that was becoming my go to for after concerts. So much food for cheap and usually really tasty.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #163 on: December 21, 2020, 10:20:51 AM »

Mayonaise!

My wife harvested about 20 pounds of sweet potatoes from our garden, so we've been having air fryer sweet potato fries a lot, and I came up with a couple of quick sauces that are similar.  Mayo, Siracha, and garlic powder is REALLY good, especially for how simple it is. 

She threw some in the air fryer the other night when we were having nacho night, and she needed to stretch it out a bit (having a 17-year-old boy in the house often leads to those moments of, "shoot, I don't think this is going to be enough food! What else can I whip up in 5 minutes to add in?").  I wanted something similar, but with more of a Mexican flavor profile, so I just mixed some sour cream, Tapatillo, and some picante sauce we had lying around so the chopped onions and peppers would give it more of a chunky texture, and that worked just fine (we also used that as a dipping sauce for fried plantains). 

I think either one of those (or any reasonable variation) would work well with regular fries.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #164 on: December 21, 2020, 10:34:26 AM »
You guys ever been to Cook Out?  It's mostly in the Southeast US.  Their food is pretty good and cost-effective, and they have easily the best fast food milkshakes on the planet.  My favorite is the peanut butter & banana.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: December 21, 2020, 11:28:38 AM »

Mayonaise!

My wife harvested about 20 pounds of sweet potatoes from our garden, so we've been having air fryer sweet potato fries a lot, and I came up with a couple of quick sauces that are similar.  Mayo, Siracha, and garlic powder is REALLY good, especially for how simple it is. 

She threw some in the air fryer the other night when we were having nacho night, and she needed to stretch it out a bit (having a 17-year-old boy in the house often leads to those moments of, "shoot, I don't think this is going to be enough food! What else can I whip up in 5 minutes to add in?").  I wanted something similar, but with more of a Mexican flavor profile, so I just mixed some sour cream, Tapatillo, and some picante sauce we had lying around so the chopped onions and peppers would give it more of a chunky texture, and that worked just fine (we also used that as a dipping sauce for fried plantains). 

I think either one of those (or any reasonable variation) would work well with regular fries.

That sounds amazing.

I'm a HUGE fan of sweet potatoes, generally.  I like the air fries (I call them) and I've been known to just put one or two in the oven for an hour or so, and then mash them into a bowl and eat them like that.   Just love that silky sweet taste/texture to them. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: December 21, 2020, 06:13:50 PM »
Sweet potatoes can just get the fuck out of the french fry business as far as I am concerned.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #167 on: December 21, 2020, 06:49:01 PM »
Sweet potatoes can just get the fuck out of the french fry business as far as I am concerned.
Yeah, I have to agree. Every once in a while I think to myself "hey, that sounds good, I'll give them a try," and I'm always sorely disappointed. They just don't fry well. Roasted with other veggies? Hell yeah. Not fried, though.

The worst part of sweet potatoes is that every holiday gathering somebody has to bring "the best sweet potatoes you've ever eaten! My late grandmother's recipe. You'll love them!" When I mention that I never like those things because they're always too sweet, EVERY SINGLE TIME they say "oh, mine aren't like that. You'll love mine. They're not sweet at all."  Of course there's always a 1 1/8" layer of praline topping all over it. And worse still, sometimes marshmallow. Half gallon of Aunt Jemima? Of course. Fucking savages. These people ruin an otherwise tasty starch.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• DT.net Member
« Reply #168 on: December 21, 2020, 06:55:09 PM »
You guys ever been to Cook Out?  It's mostly in the Southeast US.  Their food is pretty good and cost-effective, and they have easily the best fast food milkshakes on the planet.  My favorite is the peanut butter & banana.

Their Reese's shake is fuckin N I C E.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #169 on: December 21, 2020, 08:01:47 PM »
There's a Portillo's in southern California (near Knott's Berry Farm).  I heard great things about it.  My son and I went there and it was AWFUL.  Had both a burger and a dog, and both were among the worst I've ever had.

Well, I decided to go to that Portillo's today because of this thread.  It's like less than 10 miles where I live.  Got an Italian Beef sandwich and a Char-Grilled Polish Sausage hot dog.  It's ok.  I'm not certain if I want to make the drive there again for it (unlike a sushi place that's nearby that Portillo's).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #170 on: December 21, 2020, 09:49:21 PM »
Anyone ever hear of Mr. Beast Burger?  My kid just said he wants to order from there tomorrow.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline dparrott

« Reply #171 on: December 22, 2020, 01:14:17 AM »
Another real important post!  :tup

I LOVE KFC's original recipe chicken.  Their potato wedges and biscuits are great too.  That's my favorite.

I love Sonic's variety.  They have stuff that no one else has (that I've seen).  Chili cheese dog and chili cheese tots is my go-to meal.  I used to get the foot long chili cheese when I was younger and my body could tolerate it.   :lol

I grew up on Taco Bell, so I'm used to the taste.  I actually prefer that over authentic Mexican food.  Plus it's cheap!

Arby's has awesome onion rings.

Five Guys is good, burger has a choice of toppings.  And they have a BLT.  Generous with the fries.

In-n-out is good because the toppings are fresh.  Burger itself...meh.

At MCD, I like McRib, fish sandwich and fries.  No burgers.

"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: December 22, 2020, 06:31:29 AM »

YES! I remember when I first moved to Charlotte a few years back and everyone kept telling me to go to cook out. I got a burger with a side of nuggets and fries and a large coke for like $6. It was all really good too.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: December 22, 2020, 07:06:11 AM »
Yeah, I have to agree. Every once in a while I think to myself "hey, that sounds good, I'll give them a try," and I'm always sorely disappointed. They just don't fry well. Roasted with other veggies? Hell yeah. Not fried, though.

The worst part of sweet potatoes is that every holiday gathering somebody has to bring "the best sweet potatoes you've ever eaten! My late grandmother's recipe. You'll love them!" When I mention that I never like those things because they're always too sweet, EVERY SINGLE TIME they say "oh, mine aren't like that. You'll love mine. They're not sweet at all."  Of course there's always a 1 1/8" layer of praline topping all over it. And worse still, sometimes marshmallow. Half gallon of Aunt Jemima? Of course. Fucking savages. These people ruin an otherwise tasty starch.

I'm with you; as much as I love sweet potatoes, if it has sugar or maple syrup in them, I'm out.  They are sweet enough for me right out the ground.   I may - MAY - use a little honey butter (one of the steakhouses does that; Outback?) but in my home, it's a little butter, salt and pepper and that's it. 

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #174 on: December 22, 2020, 08:07:22 AM »

I'm with you; as much as I love sweet potatoes, if it has sugar or maple syrup in them, I'm out.  They are sweet enough for me right out the ground.   I may - MAY - use a little honey butter (one of the steakhouses does that; Outback?) but in my home, it's a little butter, salt and pepper and that's it.

I'm with ya'll on the too sweet potato casserole. It's just gross! I used to hate sweet potatoes and now I know why. Now I love them with just a little butter salt and pepper. I also had a recipe that included orange juice as opposed to butter but I need find that.