15 (12.5%)
Whataburger
2 (1.7%)
In-n-Out
5 (4.2%)
Other (discuss in comments)
19 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Author Topic: Best Fast Food  (Read 30308 times)

Offline pg1067

Best Fast Food
« on: December 15, 2020, 12:33:45 PM »
Yeah...yeah...fast food isn't good for you and you try to avoid it.  We know.

But what really gets you going?

I limited it to burger, chicken and Mexican places because including pizza and sandwich places would make the list too long.  If I left off your favorite place, then "Other" is the choice for you.  I also set it so you can vote for two (in case you really can't decide or if your favorite burger and favorite fries don't come from the same place).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Best Fast Food
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 12:35:12 PM »
I went with Chipotle and "other" being Subway.

I used to actually enjoy Taco Bell before they took off all the potato dishes since, as a vegetarian, that was kind of my go to.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 12:35:22 PM »
I voted other.

I rarely get fast food, but when I do, I find myself almost exclusively at Wayback Burger.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 12:43:35 PM »
I have categories of best fast food.

From what limited I've tried

Burgers
Five Guys
Chick Fil-A

Pizza
Marcos
Rise Pies

Other
Chipotle

Some of the options that have Beyond and Impossible burgers are pretty good as well.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 12:52:51 PM »
Other...

Within these categories, it's our local place called Blake's Lotaburger. Great Fries, good simple greasy burgers, and breakfast burritos that are amazing.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 12:53:33 PM »
Of the ones listed I'll go with Wataburger (Five Guys is too expensive to be considered fast food). Had Taco Bueno been included I'd probably have gone with that. Hard to beat the 4 dollar nacho salad. Truth is, though, the last time I was in any of those places was probably 3 years ago. Arby's in Wyoming would be my guess.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 01:01:49 PM »
Taco Bell is my favorite and I also hate how they removed the potato items from the menu

As for 2nd pick, I don't know, could be any of them but I choose McDonalds because that's always been solid fast food while all the other options change a lot of aren't even available where I live. 

I have a hard time including things like Chipotle with drive through fast food though. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2020, 01:06:09 PM »
Taco Bell is my favorite and I also hate how they removed the potato items from the menu

As for 2nd pick, I don't know, could be any of them but I choose McDonalds because that's always been solid fast food while all the other options change a lot of aren't even available where I live. 

I have a hard time including things like Chipotle with drive through fast food though.
I considered picking McD's simply because of coffee. It's important that no matter where in the world you are you can always get a big American sized cup of decent coffee for less than $2.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2020, 01:12:58 PM »

I considered picking McD's simply because of coffee. It's important that no matter where in the world you are you can always get a big American sized cup of decent coffee for less than $2.

Yea, that goes along with the consistency thing.  It hasn't strayed much from the same food I ate as a kid.  Coffee is solid too and cheap.  It's everywhere, its convenient, it's consistent.  It's not my favorite food by any means, but I felt like I should give it some points for the consistency after making it known what my actual favorite fast food is.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2020, 01:58:46 PM »
Arby’s.

All day, every day.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2020, 02:03:59 PM »
I rarely eat this kind of stuff, but my son made me try Chick-fil-a when I was visiting him during Thanksgiving week and it was pretty tasty  :tup

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2020, 02:08:47 PM »
Popeye's chicken sando is dope af. My other vote went with McD's for across the board consistency and best fries.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2020, 02:31:45 PM »
I voted Taco Bell and other as a vote for Subway.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2020, 02:44:48 PM »
My vote went towards Carl's Jr and In-N-Out.

Jack in the Box and Del Taco I like as well.  Popeye's does have a pretty good chicken sandwich, indeed.  Sonic's has good shakes, but the food is ok, but they are better selections out there with a better bang for your buck.  Taco Bell is ok, but they need to stop raising the prices on Crunchwrap Supreme (which is always my go-to item from them.  If they remove that, I'm done with them.)  When I was in college, about a decade ago, they were like $2.50.  Now it's $4.00+.

I don't even know when's the last time I went to McDonald's and honestly, when it comes to close fast-food places to go to on a whim for a burger, I'm always choosing Carl's Jr.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2020, 02:53:10 PM »
Picked Chipotle and Five Guys from the list, but afterwards, I was thinking there were a couple more local places growing up in Salt Lake City that were amazing.

For a burrito, Cafe Rio was awesome with fresh tortillas made daily in house. And as far as burger joints went, I loved Apollo/Crown/Astro Burgers. Probably different owners, but they all sold the exact same stuff in the same style. Nothing beat their self-titled burger as they were served with pastrami on top of the patty, and their fries were the thick cut kind, always cooked just right. Every time I visit there, I make a point to go to one of those places as I haven’t found a pastrami burger since moving away. They’re expensive, but worth it.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2020, 02:58:52 PM »
I also got to give a shout-out to Lee's Sandwiches as well.  They make good Bahn Mi sandwiches (a choice of grilled or BBQ pork, cold cuts, chicken, you can include pate on it, pickled veggies, cilantro, jalapenos if you want (I don't).)  Great sides (egg rolls, spring rolls, pate chaud, etc.) and drinks (you can either get coffee or fruit smoothies with boba or jelly).

I should go get to Lee's Sandwiches at some point again.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2020, 03:15:09 PM »
I went with Five Guys (even though Bart is right) and McDonald's.   In terms of consistency, there are times when their Quarter Pounder just hits the spot.   I like Wendy's.  I don't eat fast food all that often, but I do stop in for a burger now and again and it's usually McDonald's.

I'd much rather get a grinder; I like Subway.  Jersey Mike's is a favorite (though expensive) and there's a place called Nardelli's around me that is VERY good.

But my daughter works for Chipotle, so if anyone asks, that's what I said.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2020, 03:26:39 PM »
On the list, I love Five Guys. Yeah, it's expensive, but their burger is still better than any sit down restaurant. Plus, their product has been very consistent. And their fries fucking rule.

I never get McDonald's or Burger King. Ever...unless we are travelling (driving), and then I'll allow myself the treat.
Is it even possible to go to McDonald's and them not fuck up your order.

I have't had Popeyes in over 25 years, but I remember liking it. I had Arby's once and thought it was gross. Been ages since I had KFC, but i always liked them.

Haven't had anything else on the list.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2020, 03:31:03 PM »
I selected Taco Bell and Popeye's. Taco Bell for bean burritos and Popeye's for their red beans and rice and biscuits. Yummy! :)

That said, I haven't had either in many years and I would have to travel 30 minutes one way to get them.

One thing I really miss is good Mexican food from Texas! This shithole town I live in Missouri has one Mexican food joint and and they are run by Columbians!  :tdwn
But one good thing about the covids is that they are now allowed sell margaritas to go.  :tup
But they put orange juice in their margaritas!  :tdwn

Offline pg1067

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2020, 03:55:54 PM »
I was sort of trying to steer clear of local places that only have a handful of locations.  I could've put Volcano Burger on there, but I'd probably be the only one to vote for it (although I think someone else here might be close enough to know that place).

I went with Five Guys.  It's more expensive than the other places, but I'd rather pay $15 for Five guys than $8-10 for In-n-Out (which, IMO, is massively overrated).  The Five Guys burger is hands-down the best of any of the major chains, and their fries are usually pretty good.

there are times when their Quarter Pounder just hits the spot.   I like Wendy's. . . .

But my daughter works for Chipotle, so if anyone asks, that's what I said.

My son worships at the altar of Chipotle, and I agree that a Quarter Pounder has a particular taste is sometimes exactly what you want.

Wendy's is a sad tale.  If someone asked me 15 years ago which national burger chain was my favorite, Wendy's would've been the answer.  However, sometime in the last 10 or so years ago, they changed their meat and buns, and now they pretty much suck.

Best fast food fries I ever had were the fries that Carl's Jr. had through at least the mid-1980s.  I worked at one in the spring of 1985, and a box of those fries fresh out of the fryer (along with a burger than was less than a minute removed from the char-broiler) was about the best thing next to sex.  The funny thing is how they were made.  The product was called "Frispos," which came in pellet form in a large bag.  You would dump a big of the pellets into a hopper and, when you wanted a batch of fries, you pushed a button, and a quantity of pellets would go into a small tube that would be injected with water -- thereby reconstituting the dried potato pellets into a sort of "dough."  The dough would be extruded through a crinkle cutter that had a wire that would go back and forth cutting the the dough into French fry shape (with two flat sides and two crinkle-cut sides).  The fries would go down a conveyer belt into the deep frier.  Right out of the frier they were the perfect combo of crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.  I know it sounds weird, but they were awesome!

For chicken, Chick-fil-A nuggets and Popeye's spicy chicken are excellent.

Another one that I didn't include because it definitely isn't fast food is Fuddruckers.  My sister introduced me to Fudds in the mid-80s.  The location we went to had sides of beef hanging in the windows, which I thought was cool.  Best buns ever.  Unfortunately, within the last year, they've closed all of their southern California locations.

Use the app.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2020, 03:59:41 PM »
It occurs to me that I haven't actually gotten food a McD's in 11˝ years. Late night, drunk off my ass in the Hamburg Hauptbahnhof, and that was mostly so I could order a Royale with cheese.

I'd much rather get a grinder; I like Subway.  Jersey Mike's is a favorite (though expensive) and there's a place called Nardelli's around me that is VERY good.
I'm a Jersey Mike's guy, too. Haven't been in a Subway since before my last McD's experience, mostly because there are just so many better sandwich options. JM's for cold, and Potbelly for hot. Jason's is also good.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2020, 04:00:48 PM »

Use the app.

:lol :lol :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2020, 04:04:05 PM »
Jersey's Mikes is pretty good.  if I want a hot sandwich, I go to this place called Charleys Philly Steaks.  I like their prices for their sandwiches and their fries.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2020, 04:04:22 PM »

Use the app.

That’s assuming that the employee making your food is able to read which might be asking a lot of them.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2020, 04:34:13 PM »
Jersey Mikes is amazing sandwiches, but that's closer to a deli than fastfood.  It's not cheap at all either, but you pay for quality meats.  I've actually been crazing it a lot recently, but I find it hard to justify the price for a cold sandwich (I do like the hot ones too).

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2020, 04:38:00 PM »
Dunkin Donuts isn't on the list of shitholes?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2020, 04:52:42 PM »
Jersey Mikes is amazing sandwiches, but that's closer to a deli than fastfood.  It's not cheap at all either, but you pay for quality meats.  I've actually been crazing it a lot recently, but I find it hard to justify the price for a cold sandwich (I do like the hot ones too).

I think I've paid ok prices as Jersey Mike's, nothing less than $15.00 for two mini-sized sandwiches (which is still good portions).  Then again, I've taken advantage of the deals that Grubhub gave me.  I recall around election week that Grubhub gave a perk that gave me a free sandwich from Jersey Mike's.  Nabbed two regular sandwiches and paid $12.00, overall.  Felt good about that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2020, 05:05:31 PM »

I think I've paid ok prices as Jersey Mike's, nothing less than $15.00 for two mini-sized sandwiches (which is still good portions).  Then again, I've taken advantage of the deals that Grubhub gave me.  I recall around election week that Grubhub gave a perk that gave me a free sandwich from Jersey Mike's.  Nabbed two regular sandwiches and paid $12.00, overall.  Felt good about that.

Mini aint big enough for me, even their normal size is filling but I usually get Giant and can eat 3/4 of that in one sitting.  BUt it was like $18 I think when I last checked? It's delish for sure, but I just can't put that in fast food catagory for one, the meats are legit, and two, the prices reflect that.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2020, 05:31:12 PM »
I was sort of trying to steer clear of local places that only have a handful of locations.  I could've put Volcano Burger on there, but I'd probably be the only one to vote for it (although I think someone else here might be close enough to know that place).

I went with Five Guys.  It's more expensive than the other places, but I'd rather pay $15 for Five guys than $8-10 for In-n-Out (which, IMO, is massively overrated).  The Five Guys burger is hands-down the best of any of the major chains, and their fries are usually pretty good.

This is a very reasonable point, but the logic goes both ways. I'd rather pay $20 for a top notch burger from a real restaurant than $15 for a pretty good burger from 5G. Perhaps the best burger in Dallas, with half fries and half rings, plus a drink is only $18.50. Right now Dallas is having a kind of burger renaissance, and there are several places turning out excellent burgers and sides for about what you'd pay for 5G.

I agree that I-n-O is massively overrated, though. Not since Trump has something so godawful been so adored by so many.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2020, 05:35:49 PM »
This is the problem, IMO, of having 5 guys listed here with the likes of McDonalds and whatnot.  I don't consider 5 guys fast food. Just like Jersey Mikes is not the same as Subway.  One is legit meat product and the other is the cheap stuff that is even questionable if it's truly meat.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2020, 05:47:17 PM »
This is the problem, IMO, of having 5 guys listed here with the likes of McDonalds and whatnot.  I don't consider 5 guys fast food. Just like Jersey Mikes is not the same as Subway.  One is legit meat product and the other is the cheap stuff that is even questionable if it's truly meat.

Wow.  Didn't know about that regarding Subway.  I know that's the case for McDonald's meat.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2020, 05:48:38 PM »

One thing I really miss is good Mexican food from Texas! This shithole town I live in Missouri has one Mexican food joint and and they are run by Columbians!  :tdwn
But one good thing about the covids is that they are now allowed sell margaritas to go.  :tup
But they put orange juice in their margaritas!  :tdwn

Story by M. Knight Shyamalan

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2020, 05:50:33 PM »

Wow.  Didn't know about that regarding Subway.  I know that's the case for McDonald's meat.

That was an exaggeration, not specific to any restaurant. My brother worked at a Subway and was always horrified specifically with the Tuna but also the chicken is a bit odd.  I worked at a Boston Market and the meat always seemed legit, and everything took significant time to cook.  My manager would always complain if a customer came in and said we were fast food, she would always say "The food takes a long time to cook, we just serve it fast"

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2020, 05:52:51 PM »
I agree about 5G, I think I was the first to raise that point, but not about Jersey Mikes. A regular sandwich is $8.5 down here and that's not unreasonable. And if you're going to flag them for using real meat, you'd have to do the same for Arby's. They slice their meat to order, too.

Subway's meat is highly processed and includes a lot of fillers. My hunch is that it's probably at least a third paper.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2020, 06:03:35 PM »
I agree about 5G, I think I was the first to raise that point, but not about Jersey Mikes. A regular sandwich is $8.5 down here and that's not unreasonable. And if you're going to flag them for using real meat, you'd have to do the same for Arby's. They slice their meat to order, too.

I really like arbies, but that's only the roast beef.  I don't know about their chicken or anything else, although I really like Arby's generally.  They are scarce here, but the curly fries are so good plus horsey sauce on the roast beef is solid.