Author Topic: Mundane But True Stories!  (Read 24999 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Mundane But True Stories!
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2021, 06:07:31 PM »
This thread has officially jumped the shark dick

So mundane but true?😆😆😆
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2021, 06:10:27 AM »
We’ll find out if my sweater is jacked up or not when it comes out of the wash I guess.

Well?!
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2021, 10:13:37 AM »
This seems like as good a place for this.

All four of my grandparents were born in the 1800s (specifically, 1880, 1883, 1875 and 1885).  Just curious if this is true of anyone else here.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2021, 10:22:25 AM »
Wow.  No.  May Grandparents were born in the early 1900's
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2021, 10:36:08 AM »
Wow.  No.  May Grandparents were born in the early 1900's

Wow is right!!  Earliest mine was born was 1907.  The others were in the teens
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2021, 12:35:34 PM »

All four of my grandparents were born in the 1800s (specifically, 1880, 1883, 1875 and 1885).  Just curious if this is true of anyone else here.

Holy shit, either you are a hell of a lot older than me or you are the youngest or one of the youngest of a group of siblings, some of whom are in their....late 70's?  amirite?

I'm 57, my mother is 76 (born in '43) and her father (my grandfather) was born in 1917.  My great grandmother on my mother's side was born on St. Michael in 1889 she died in 1983 at the age of 93. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2021, 12:44:07 PM »
oh, um, mundane but true - also a true story, my great grandmother who was named Josephine killed her abusive, alcoholic husband with a hatchet about 5 years after they arrived here in the United States.   They lived in an unincorporated part of western MA in the late 1890's and early 1900's and one night my great grandfather John came home hammered and started beating on Josephine but this time she was ready for him and she grabbed a hatchet she had hidden in their ice chest and buried it in the middle of his chest, killing him.  The sheriff came, evaluated the scene and then helped Josephine drag the body outside where her brother, my great uncle Louie dug a grave and they buried John there.  She was never charged for killing him since it was a clear case of self-defence and the sheriff was also the county magistrate and judge so he got to call the shots on who went to jail. 

My great grandmother revealed this information to her granddaughter (my mother) when she was in hospice and near death.  She said she had not spoken of it since the night it happened and she wanted to get it off her chest before she died. 

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2021, 12:56:38 PM »
Jesus.  If that's mundane, I'd hate to see what you call exciting, Kirk.  Damn... :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2021, 01:00:02 PM »
oh, um, mundane but true - also a true story, my great grandmother who was named Josephine killed her abusive, alcoholic husband with a hatchet about 5 years after they arrived here in the United States.   They lived in an unincorporated part of western MA in the late 1890's and early 1900's and one night my great grandfather John came home hammered and started beating on Josephine but this time she was ready for him and she grabbed a hatchet she had hidden in their ice chest and buried it in the middle of his chest, killing him.  The sheriff came, evaluated the scene and then helped Josephine drag the body outside where her brother, my great uncle Louie dug a grave and they buried John there.  She was never charged for killing him since it was a clear case of self-defence and the sheriff was also the county magistrate and judge so he got to call the shots on who went to jail. 

My great grandmother revealed this information to her granddaughter (my mother) when she was in hospice and near death.  She said she had not spoken of it since the night it happened and she wanted to get it off her chest before she died.

So to speak.  ;) :):)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2021, 01:01:43 PM »
Jesus.  If that's mundane, I'd hate to see what you call exciting, Kirk.  Damn... :lol

Right?!?!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2021, 01:12:23 PM »
If we're talking families....  my middle name is "Michael", and my younger brother's first name is Michael.

As is:
My dad
HIS dad (my grandfather)
HIS dad (my great grandfather)
My mom's brother (my uncle)
My mom's brother's son (my cousin)
My mom's DAD (my OTHER grandfather)
HIS dad (my OTHER great grandfather)
My brother's son (my nephew).

Here's the kicker:   my mom and dad had the same last name BEFORE they were married (no, they weren't related and Ancestry DNA proves it!, the families know each other from the old country, though) so all of them have the same full name as well.   There are a couple other Michael's in the family tree, all with the same last name, and there's an entire line, starting with a Michael, that I have yet to fit into the tree, though my dad used to work with the guy and they both thought they were related.  I just can't figure out how.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2021, 02:02:12 PM »
Speaking of families and names...

My Uncle George and Aunt Cora have the same last name as me, but Aunt Cora was my mom's sister; she just happened to marry a guy with the same last name as ours (a pretty common Chinese surname).  Uncle George and my dad could almost pass for brothers, but they're not related as far as we know.  My mom had two brothers and two sisters and they all lived in the Detroit area, so every Christmas we'd all get together for the big family thing.  Eventually I met some extended family on my mom's side, too, as they would come to some of the big family things.  Among them are Uncle Bill and Aunt Lil and their kids.  Uncle Bill is George's brother, so again the same last name as me, but still not related.  Bill for some reason went by the nickname Whammy and George's nickname was Gizmo.

Fast forward to the 90's, when I'm working at the headquarters of the nation's largest airline.  One of my co-workers asks me if I'm related to Grace <same last name as me> who works in the next department over.  She's from the Detroit area and I'd mentioned that my family was from Detroit.  I tell her No because my dad only had one brother and he died when they were little.  A week or so later, my co-worker comes back and says she's pretty sure Grace is my cousin, and we've even met before.  No, but okay, I'll go meet her and talk to her.

We head over to Grace's cubicle, and damn if she doesn't look like we could be sister and brother.  We figure out that her dad is "Uncle Bill".  That makes her my mom's sister's husband's brother's daughter.  Not related by blood, despite having the same last name.  It also means that I did meet her when I was like eight years old, somewhere in the the Detroit suburbs.  Right now we're in the Chicago suburbs.  Whoa.

I tell my dad this whole story, because I think it's pretty cool.  He says "Oh so you met Whammy's daughter."  Well, yeah, I guess that summarizes it pretty well.  Somehow I'd thought it was a better story than that.  Instead, it is...

Mundane But True!!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 10:21:10 AM by Orbert »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2021, 02:20:09 PM »

Holy shit, either you are a hell of a lot older than me or you are the youngest or one of the youngest of a group of siblings, some of whom are in their....late 70's?  amirite?

I'm younger than you (turned 53 last October).

My father's parents were born in 1880 and 1883.  My father was the youngest of four and was born in 1921, so his parents were a few months shy of 41 and 38.

My mother's parents were born in 1875 and 1885.  My mother was the younger of two and was born in 1923, her parents were 48 and 38.

My parents were 46 and just shy of 44 when I was born.  I'm the youngest of 5.  The age gap between my four siblings was 10 1/2 years (Sept. 1945 to April 1956).  The gap between my youngest sibling and me is 11 1/2 years (April 1956 to October 1967).

My father was on a ship that was hit by a Japanese kamikaze plane in May 1945 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Terror_(CM-5) .  I have pictures of the ship after the attack at home.  At the time of the attack, my mother was 5-ish months pregnant with my oldest sibling and took a train from New York to San Francisco to meet my father, who was being discharged.  Somewhere, I have a long, handwritten recounting of that trip that she wrote several decades after the fact.

If we're talking families....  my middle name is "Michael", and my younger brother's first name is Michael.

As is:
My dad
HIS dad (my grandfather)

My mother's mother was Mary.
My mother was Mary.
My middle sister was Mary Katherine (but went by Katherine).
My father's mother was Mary, and one of her daughters (my aunt) was Mary Beatrice (but went by Bea -- yes, I had an Aunt Bea).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2021, 02:25:21 PM »

:lol   I've got a few whoppers from when I was in high school, like the time I woke up from a drunken blackout on Martha's Vineyard island, laying half in and half out of a water-fountain/sculpture thing on the front lawn of Carly Simon & James Taylor's (at the time empty) estate.   I literally lost my car that weekend.  And never found it.   :lol

Fuck, that was like 35 years ago  :loser:

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2021, 02:26:11 PM »
Nope, on second thought it was 38 years ago  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2021, 05:38:06 PM »
I want a nickname like "Whammy".    (You can't pick your own nickname, though, it's against the rules.)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2021, 05:43:09 PM »
Whamler!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2021, 06:04:59 PM »
HAHA.  Imagine me trying to explain that one to the fam.   :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2021, 06:26:44 PM »

As is:
My dad
HIS dad (my grandfather)

My mother's mother was Mary.
My mother was Mary.
My middle sister was Mary Katherine (but went by Katherine).
My father's mother was Mary, and one of her daughters (my aunt) was Mary Beatrice (but went by Bea -- yes, I had an Aunt Bea).

So two things...

People have been calling me Mike my whole life when they can't remember my actual name, and my grandmother's name was Mary.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2021, 07:03:13 PM »

What in the fuck? How is that mundane?

That story deserves its own damn thread! :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2021, 07:57:03 PM »
My nickname as a 9 year old was Arm Pit Slapper.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2021, 08:33:32 PM »
This is now the "Official Family Secrets Thread?"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2021, 08:34:34 PM »
 :lol

*scans family tree for axe murderers*

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2021, 05:42:45 AM »
Whamler!

Please mod in heaven. If you're reading this, please make it so.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2021, 11:11:30 AM »
:lol

*scans family tree for axe murderers*

When my mother told me this story a few years ago I honestly thought it was some kind of gag she was pulling on me because I did get to meet my great grandmother - we called her "Vavo" but she died when I was 19 - I always knew my great grandmother as a very quiet and laid back person but you never know about what's really inside another person.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2021, 09:49:08 AM »
Last night, SHMBA and I were re-watching season 5 of The Expanse. I forget which episode it was but there was a scene where Frankie Adams (Bobbie Draper) was lying in her bed watching her boyfriend dress for the morning. They were having a semi-serious conversation about their relationship, Martian politics, and the Ring Gates. Toward the end, the boyfriend mentions that he'll see her later and bring waffles for breakfast. He leaned over the edge of the bed for a good bye kiss when I mumbled, "Lucky bastard."

Mrs. P looks over to me and raises one eyebrow while her mouth tuned down in a half frown. Confused, I wonder what I did, and gave her my best innocent look. "What?", I said.

"Do I need to be jealous," she asks in one of her patented tones.

I paused, thinking back on recent events. Quickly running it back over in my head. Genuinely confused, "...of waffles?"

She thinks about it for a quick second and busts out with a huge laugh, "Oh, my god, Gregg. That's when you know you're an old man on a keto diet!" We giggled about that for a few hours. This morning, she made waffles for Valentine's day.

Mundane but true!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2021, 10:03:30 AM »
Waffles!

Online faizoff

« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2021, 10:15:12 AM »
Last night, SHMBA and I were re-watching season 5 of The Expanse. I forget which episode it was but there was a scene where Frankie Adams (Bobbie Draper) was lying in her bed watching her boyfriend dress for the morning. They were having a semi-serious conversation about their relationship, Martian politics, and the Ring Gates. Toward the end, the boyfriend mentions that he'll see her later and bring waffles for breakfast. He leaned over the edge of the bed for a good bye kiss when I mumbled, "Lucky bastard."

Mrs. P looks over to me and raises one eyebrow while her mouth tuned down in a half frown. Confused, I wonder what I did, and gave her my best innocent look. "What?", I said.

"Do I need to be jealous," she asks in one of her patented tones.

I paused, thinking back on recent events. Quickly running it back over in my head. Genuinely confused, "...of waffles?"

She thinks about it for a quick second and busts out with a huge laugh, "Oh, my god, Gregg. That's when you know you're an old man on a keto diet!" We giggled about that for a few hours. This morning, she made waffles for Valentine's day.

Mundane but true!

That's hilarious.

Man that episode is from the latest season? I seem to remember it from ages ago.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2021, 05:19:13 PM »
Back when I was a contract programmer, I'd eventually kissed enough ass to be offerred a salaried position at the company, complete with benefits and all that.  Yay!  Around this same time, they were redoing some of the office, removing a big moveable-shelf contraption and putting in some more cubicles.  Because of the way the space worked out, these new cubicles were a little bigger than the current "regular" cube, though still smaller than a manager's cube.  My manager confided in me that he wasn't positive, but he was pretty sure that these new cubes were for the recent hires, of which I was one.

Well, my paperwork went through, and I was an employee (Yay!) but other than that, not much changed.  I still sat in the same cubicle as before, and my job didn't change, either, other than that I was salaried and not hourly.

A week or two later, I noticed that people were moving into those nice, larger-than-normal cubes.  All except one were now occupied.  Another week passed, then another.  Then one day, someone was in there.  I kinda knew the guy, as he and I had started around the same time as contractors, so I was a little pissed off that he'd gotten the last new cube, but I stopped by all friendly-like to make small talk and find out what the deal was.

I looked around in faux-amazement and said something like "Hey, I like the new place!"  He said yeah, since he was a new employee, he'd moved up, blah blah blah.  He didn't know that I also had been moved up.  But whatever, I didn't get the cube.  I was still annoyed, but now mostly toward my manager, because if he'd never said anything in the first place, I wouldn't have had any idea.  Also, these new cubicles were right in the middle of the floor, in pretty much the noisiest place, with people walking by on all sides all the time.  My current cube was way off to the side, much quieter, plus I had a window.  I was actually better off where I was, once I thought about it.

Also, the guy was fired three months later after they found a bunch of kiddie porn on his computer.  His work computer.  Fucking moron.  Apparently he didn't realize that people were now walking past his cube all the time, and it didn't take long for someone to notice his "extracurricular viewing habits".

Mundane But True!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2021, 05:26:00 AM »
The grass is sometimes greener when you view it from your neighbor's fence.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2021, 12:35:44 PM »
Speaking of cubicles, my company is expanding into the space next door so we're effectively doubling our footprint, but the interim was really going to suck because the wall that MY department is currently against was scheduled to be the very first piece of demolition and would be coming down so all 7 of the cubes along that wall (i.e. all 7 of the people who work for me) were going to be displaced with no cubes to work in for "about 2 to 4 weeks" which really meant 3 months minimum.  It's construction.  When they tell me how long I multiply x 3. 

I was not happy about this and I made it known to my boss (the owner/President) and within 10 minutes of telling him about my concerns the entire project plan was tossed and they're going "back to the drawing board" to figure out a less disruptive way to do the job.  So I said, instead of demoing that wall, go into the new space and build out the I.T. cubes.  I'll move my people over to the new space once you build out those cubes, then you can knock down the wall and it won't be disruptive to anyone.  Problem solved.  This decision was made last night after I explained the logistics to the guy they had running the project.  I went home quite happy with myself.

Well, as of this morning guess who is now running the renovation project?  :lol   Like I don't have enough shit to do already, fuck  :facepalm: 

Mundane but true!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2021, 07:38:26 PM »
John, one of my oldest friends and star of many stories I've posted here, has some guys he jams with when he gets the chance, including this guitarist named Tracy.  Tracy is from the burbs way north of town where John lives now, and I've jammed with him a few times over the years.  He's pretty good.  He sings and plays guitar and writes some songs that aren't bad, and some that are.  Anyway, Tracy decided to make a CD, like a "real" CD produced at a local studio and pressed on real CDs, not CD-Rs, and the whole package, just to do it.  He did it.  And he was posting about it on Facebook, and thanking all the folks that helped him with it, and played on it, and all that good stuff.  Among those he names is a drummer named Phil.  Tracy actually gives first and last names in his post, so it's the same guy, no question.

Phil was the drummer from the very first band I was in back in the 80's, after I'd dropped out of college and quit my day job to be a rock and roll superstar.  That last part didn't quite work out, but the band lasted a few years and we did manage to make a living at it for a while.  Phil was the original drummer for that band, and through him we got our first soundman, Dave.  Dave invited us all out to his house one time, and it happened to be his little sister's birthday.  His little sister was cute, and after we all had some cake, she and I disappeared for a while to make out.  She is now Mrs. Orbert, and has been for over 30 years.  So Hooray for birthdays.

Anyway, another wacky "small world" story from Orbert, which I swear is...

Mundane but true!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2021, 07:44:54 PM »
You DOG!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2021, 08:15:42 PM »
Great story!!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2021, 12:12:49 AM »
Way better than "Met my wife on a dating website."

Yes, that's my story.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'