Author Topic: Mundane But True Stories!  (Read 24838 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Mundane But True Stories!
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2020, 11:20:47 PM »
So they were olives stuffed with anchovies instead of pimento?  That's some crazy shit there!

Tell me about it!  And it wasn't 14 or 20 pt font with the normal 'Lite' or 'No Salt Added' description, but 4 or 6 pt font sized print.   I opened the jar and thought the olives were rotten due to the smell.  I have no clue how they tasted.  Closed the jar, and into the outdoor trash it went.

I did listen to Side One of 'Love Stinks' later that night for some reason.....

If people eat those things, I wonder if they like spotted dick?

I had dinner at Emeril's once in New Orleans, and they made the Caesar dressing at the table.   There are anchovies in their recipe.  One of my party (not me) said nuh-uh to the anchovies, so the guy made it both ways.  We got to taste the difference.   All of us ate it WITH the anchovies (even the woman who made a stink - no pun intended). 

I like a good Caesar salad, and a good Caesar dressing.  I only learned maybe two or three years ago that the secret ingredient is anchovies.  Anchovies are okay when mixed with a bunch of other flavors, like on a pizza or in a salad dressing.  I just can't imagine sitting down and chowing a bunch of them as a snack, though.  But diff'rent strokes, right?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2021, 06:17:12 AM »
So, about a year ago I bought these noise canceling ear buds from a company called Jabra.  I got the best ones they had, the Jabra Elite 75t model because I was kind of put off by the $249.99 price tag on the Apple Ear Buds Pro.  The Jabra Elite 75t were only $129 and when I got them I was extremely satisfied with my purchase, these things sounded pissah!  Fast forward 13 months.  I'm at the gym doing my daily thing when all of a sudden the left ear bud stops working.  I looked it up and the manual said this can happen when they're low on power.  When I got home I checked to make sure that the dock that these ear buds get parked in when they're not in use was properly plugged in to a USB charging tower I have.  They were, indeed plugged in correctly and allegedly charging.  Next day at the gym, after about an hour, same problem, the left ear bud stops working.   >:(   

I spent half the day yesterday looking at articles online about how and why these things may have stopped working.  Some of the suggestions seemed pretty standard, "reload the software" or "upgrade the firmware" were the predominant suggestions so I upgraded the firmware to the latest version.  Now BOTH ear buds weren't working.  After many hours toiling online and trying to figure out what the fuck was wrong with them, I threw in the towel and said fuck it, and went over to Best Buy and picked up the Apple Ear Buds Pro.  They are quite a bit better sounding than the Jabra brand, or more accurately, they have more volume.  A LOT more volume and they sound at least as good if not better than the Jabra brand.  So, I'm happy with my new purchase but decided to return the Jabra's for a replacement and maybe I'd give the replacement pair to someone for Christmas this year.  But the warranty had expired 3 weeks ago  :censored  so I have to eat them.

Fast forward to this morning.  I decided to give it one more shot at fixing the Jabra ear buds so I pick them out of the dock and put them in my ears and BOTH of them work fine.  :lol

Now I have an extra set of ear buds that I probably won't use.  Mundane but true.  :corn

By the way, anyone who has been thinking about getting the Apple ear buds, they are really great.  Incredible sound quality, excellent active noise reduction and the battery life is good for at least 6 hours because I used them yesterday for 6 solid hours and they never ran out of juice.  Highly recommended if you can afford them.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2021, 08:09:24 AM »
I've found my wireless buds (either 'true wireless', or the ones with some kind of neck strap) to be hit and miss, and the bigger the brand name, they worse they are.  My Bose Soundsport (which I thankfully got for free) suck ass.  They are so inconsistent at taking a full charge (I can plug them in and instantly get a green light, only to turn them on and get the announcement "Battery at 20% :lolpalm:), and they suck at holding a full charge, and have terrible life anyway (2-3 hours, tops).  My knock-off brand names are the best, to be honest.  I refuse to spend more than $40/$50 (CAD) for ear buds.  Hell, the $10 pairs of wired earbuds I'd get from Marshall's would sound just fine to my ears.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2021, 08:18:00 AM »
I've found my wireless buds (either 'true wireless', or the ones with some kind of neck strap) to be hit and miss, and the bigger the brand name, they worse they are.  My Bose Soundsport (which I thankfully got for free) suck ass. 

I got a free pair of these too. Picked them out of a catalog for my 30 year service award at work. I actually just started using them. They sound pretty good.

I had a pair of Bose (wired) ear buds, and they were great, except the left ear stopped working, which I found out was pretty common. On a recommendation, I got a pair of 1More ear buds (wired) and they are real nice.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2021, 08:19:50 AM »
I've found my wireless buds (either 'true wireless', or the ones with some kind of neck strap) to be hit and miss, and the bigger the brand name, they worse they are.  My Bose Soundsport (which I thankfully got for free) suck ass. 

I got a free pair of these too. Picked them out of a catalog for my 30 year service award at work. I actually just started using them. They sound pretty good.

Too funny.... that's exactly how I got them too.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2021, 10:26:07 AM »
I have a pair of Klipsch wired headphones that are EXCELLENT, but I find I have to tuck the wire down my shirt sometimes if I'm doing something else I rip the buds out of my ears.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2021, 10:38:27 AM »
They have this program where I work where you can "reward" a coworker for doing something above and beyond.  Recognize accomplishments, reward good work ethic, all that.  Anyway, I received an email saying that I'd done something that somebody thought was amazing, and it had a link to the rewards site.  Apparently I'd earned a $50 credit, and they had a bunch of stuff with the prices.  There weren't many options for $50 and under, but one of them was wireless Bluetooth earphones, so I ordered them, since I don't have any.  This was last year some time.

They were about the stupidest thing I'd ever seen in my life.  There was a "headband" piece that fit on top of your head, like old school headphones only really thin.  Attached to it were the two earpieces, dangling from little wires.  The receiver was built into the headband.  I tried it anyway, and couldn't get it to pair with my phone.  It refused.  Between that and the fact that even if I got it working, I would look stupid wearing them, it wasn't worth the effort.  I threw them in the garbage.  Didn't cost me anything, so no problem.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2021, 11:02:12 AM »
You don't pay for the coffee at work ? Is it one of those - Big Urn of hot water and polystyrene cups of coffee granules type deal ?

We have a coffee machine and team are supposed to pay for the drinks they make themselves. But nobody ever does  ;D ;D

Actually I do cause on a morning shift - I pay for 3 coffees up front - using my team discount - then just help myself throughout the day.

Plus we have a grocery store on site which has a Costa Coffee Kiosk and i like my lattes from there too :-)

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2021, 11:11:26 AM »
Well if we're talking about Bluetooth headphones, in the three years since we moved up hear I have gone through 7 pairs of headphones. I am on my 8th and 9th pair respectively. With each pair a headphone on one side stopped working or the unit wouldn't power up. I was getting roughly six months use before the broke. Yes they were under warranty and they honored the warranty but holy fuck man, can't they manufacture anything anymore?  >:( 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2021, 12:08:53 PM »
They have this program where I work where you can "reward" a coworker for doing something above and beyond.  Recognize accomplishments, reward good work ethic, all that.  Anyway, I received an email saying that I'd done something that somebody thought was amazing, and it had a link to the rewards site.  Apparently I'd earned a $50 credit, and they had a bunch of stuff with the prices.  There weren't many options for $50 and under, but one of them was wireless Bluetooth earphones, so I ordered them, since I don't have any.  This was last year some time.

They were about the stupidest thing I'd ever seen in my life.  There was a "headband" piece that fit on top of your head, like old school headphones only really thin.  Attached to it were the two earpieces, dangling from little wires.  The receiver was built into the headband.  I tried it anyway, and couldn't get it to pair with my phone.  It refused.  Between that and the fact that even if I got it working, I would look stupid wearing them, it wasn't worth the effort.  I threw them in the garbage.  Didn't cost me anything, so no problem.

Lamfao!!!  Bob, that’s a neck band, not a head band. You let it rest across the back of your neck. I’ve got two of these (not “name” brand), and had two past LG models that crapped out. Excellent headphones.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2021, 05:47:47 PM »
Oh.  Silly me.

Still couldn't get the damned thing to pair with my phone, so still useless.

Seriously though, I might have tried harder if I'd realized the correct way to wear them, because my wife has wireless earbuds, and it always seems to me like they could fall out and get lost really easily.  Or if she's using them, she has to take them out and either hold on them (or just one) or put it down.  If they're wired to the headband neckband, they can just dangle for a minute, then you can pop them back in.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2021, 03:11:17 AM »
The other great thing about the $249 Apple Ear Buds Pro is they sync right up with my iPhone and iPad as you'd expect.  I didn't have a ton of problems with Jabra brand, but once in a while they'd refuse to connect via bluetooth.  The Apple ones just work.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2021, 07:40:31 AM »
I like my Samsung Buds+ earphones, they sound really good (won't replace traditional wired mid to high-end headphones) and pair with my Note8 very well. I also pair them to my windows 10 desktop and Fire 10 Tablet. quite seamless I might add, though not automatic for the desktop which I'm glad about.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2021, 07:55:03 AM »
I know a kid whos a friend of a friend and I never see him without his airpods in - even if hes not listening to anything.

Must be a status thing. Like - look at me I have Airpods.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2021, 11:55:26 AM »
I know a kid whos a friend of a friend and I never see him without his airpods in - even if hes not listening to anything.

Must be a status thing. Like - look at me I have Airpods.

That's probably true for some people. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2021, 12:23:56 PM »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2021, 01:03:57 PM »
Yeah, status symbols like that are definitely more common with the younger crowd.  Then again, why is it that EVERY dude who owns a Corvette is at least my age?  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2021, 01:08:07 PM »
I like my iMac and my iPhone but i've always HATED Apple earphones. They dont stay in and they have zero bass.

I always get the in ears with the rubber diaphragms so they stay in your ears and have loads of low end.

But when i'm indoors it's my expensive over - the ear headphones . I guess I car more about audio quality

then people who play music on YouTube on their phone speakers on the bus.

I'm sure that's why a lot of pop songs now don't even bother with basslines - cause kids only listen to music on their phone speakers.  :tdwn

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2021, 01:11:29 PM »
Yeah, well the Earbuds Pro, no shortage of bass response at all.  Listened to "A Perfect Shade of Grey" this morning and it was fucking glorious  :hat

Those old white wired earbuds that used to come with the iPhones definitely sounded like shit, though. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2021, 01:05:09 PM »
I am six feet tall.

Wait, let me explain.  When I was little, my dad was six feet tall.  I got it into my head that that was some kind of standard.  It seemed a good number.  Someday I too would be six feet tall.  As I grew older and went to the doctor for my annual physical, I kept an eye on that.  I was five-10 by junior high, and sometime around high school I'd apparently peaked at five feet, 11 3/4 inches tall.  One-quarter inch shy of six feet.  Annoyed the hell out of me.  When I went for my physical to get into the Coast Guard, I was 18 years old and stood five 11 3/4".  Shit.  Clearly, this was it.  I would forever have to live with the knowledge that Mother Nature just wasn't willing to give this one to me.  I would tell people that I'm six feet tall, I look it, they believe it, but I've always lived with the knowledge and shame that I'm rounding it up.

I still go to the doctor for my annual physical, they check my weight and height, and while the weight fluctuates, the height remains constant.  Five eleven and three-quarters.  Last year I started having back problems, and my chiropractor couldn't find any subluxation (misaligned vertebrae), and concluded that it was my posture.  She gave me one of those big stretchy belts that you put on, tighten up, and walk around standing straight up.  It enforced good posture, and had the added benefit of actually feeling pretty good, after the initial pain in the ass of putting it on.

So anyway, at my annual physical the other day, I'm down 26 pounds (yay!), and I'm six feet tall.  What?  I asked him to check again.  Six feet exactly.  I stepped off the scale/ruler thing and looked.  Six feet exactly.  Good posture finally doing the trick?  More likely a scale/ruler thing that's slightly out of calibration.  But I'll take it.  At the tender age of 58, I am officially six feet tall.  Achievement!  Bonus level unlocked.

Mundane but true!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2021, 01:32:23 PM »
I am the only lefty in my family.  We, not quite true.  My grandmother was born a leftie but you know the evil days.  Early 1900's when they would tie your left arm behind you to force you to use your right hand.

My dad is the only blue eyes in our family.  My mom, brother and I have brown eyes.  He used to tell us we were all full out shit up to our eyeballs.

My grandfather (Dad's side) had one blue eye and one brown eye.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2021, 01:54:56 PM »
I am six feet tall.

Wait, let me explain.  When I was little, my dad was six feet tall.  I got it into my head that that was some kind of standard.  It seemed a good number.  Someday I too would be six feet tall.  As I grew older and went to the doctor for my annual physical, I kept an eye on that.  I was five-10 by junior high, and sometime around high school I'd apparently peaked at five feet, 11 3/4 inches tall.  One-quarter inch shy of six feet.  Annoyed the hell out of me.  When I went for my physical to get into the Coast Guard, I was 18 years old and stood five 11 3/4".  Shit.  Clearly, this was it.  I would forever have to live with the knowledge that Mother Nature just wasn't willing to give this one to me.  I would tell people that I'm six feet tall, I look it, they believe it, but I've always lived with the knowledge and shame that I'm rounding it up.

I still go to the doctor for my annual physical, they check my weight and height, and while the weight fluctuates, the height remains constant.  Five eleven and three-quarters.  Last year I started having back problems, and my chiropractor couldn't find any subluxation (misaligned vertebrae), and concluded that it was my posture.  She gave me one of those big stretchy belts that you put on, tighten up, and walk around standing straight up.  It enforced good posture, and had the added benefit of actually feeling pretty good, after the initial pain in the ass of putting it on.

So anyway, at my annual physical the other day, I'm down 26 pounds (yay!), and I'm six feet tall.  What?  I asked him to check again.  Six feet exactly.  I stepped off the scale/ruler thing and looked.  Six feet exactly.  Good posture finally doing the trick?  More likely a scale/ruler thing that's slightly out of calibration.  But I'll take it.  At the tender age of 58, I am officially six feet tall.  Achievement!  Bonus level unlocked.

Mundane but true!!

:tup :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2021, 02:11:29 PM »
New doors will now open.  A secret door for those 6 feet will open where you watch movies where no one is in your way.  6 Foot Club awaits you Bob!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2021, 05:07:16 PM »
I know!  I'm psyched.   :biggrin:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2021, 08:44:34 AM »
New doors will now open.  A secret door for those 6 feet will open where you watch movies where no one is in your way.  6 Foot Club awaits you Bob!

I hear they have smoking jackets and premium vodka, too.   (Said the guy that works 5'7" and 5'8" like Orbert worked 5'11" and 6').

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2021, 10:05:48 AM »

I hear they have smoking jackets and premium vodka, too.   (Said the guy that works 5'7" and 5'8" like Orbert worked 5'11" and 6').

Not quite.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2021, 12:59:16 PM »
The club is actually the more than 6' club. Being exactly 6' doesn't get you in. Keep trying.  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2021, 01:29:33 PM »

We have delights that sub 6" people only can dream of.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2021, 09:18:21 AM »

We have delights that sub 6" people only can dream of.

Wait??  6 INCHES, or 6 FEET?  What club are we talking about now?? 

:zydarscouch:  ??

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2021, 09:23:37 AM »
 :rollin
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2021, 02:02:24 PM »
This thread has officially jumped the shark dick

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2021, 02:29:37 PM »
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2021, 02:32:23 PM »
:JayOctavarium: :JayOctavarium: :JayOctavarium: :JayOctavarium: :JayOctavarium:

Whilst i'm here - what's the code for the emoticon - where it looks around then runs offscreen ? I used to know it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2021, 02:47:46 PM »
:JayOctavarium: :JayOctavarium: :JayOctavarium: :JayOctavarium: :JayOctavarium:

Whilst i'm here - what's the code for the emoticon - where it looks around then runs offscreen ? I used to know it.
:ontome:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2021, 05:25:23 PM »
SCORE

:ontome: