Author Topic: New LTE - LTE 3 2021!!  (Read 55782 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Novo LTE Coming Spring 2021!!
« Reply #665 on: April 17, 2021, 03:33:29 PM »
A note line from Mike regarding the bonus disc
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YC4Y65yp3UKy5YVq7
(For some reason I can't post the photos directly here)  :-\

Does this work?

-Marc.

Yes, now it's worked. Do you know what happened?  ???

In order to use the img tags, you need to have the actual .jpg file address, but your link just goes to the photo viewer page, not the actual image itself.

As for the note itself, I assume this is under the bonus disc in the 2CD digipak, right? I meant to bring it up in my review of the artbook earlier in the thread when I got it this past Monday but I probably forgot. I would love to hear all of those jams, unedited and raw, or even watch them if they have all of the jam sessions video recorded (which seems they might, or at least Mike does).

-Marc.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 03:59:56 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #666 on: April 17, 2021, 03:54:16 PM »
As for the note itself, I assume this is under the bonus disc in the 2CD digipak, right? I meant to bring it up in my review of the artbook earlier in the thread when I got it this past Monday but I probably forgot. I would love to hear all of those jams, unedited and raw, or even watch them if they have all of the jam sessions video recorded (which seems they might, or at least Mike does).

-Marc.

Yep, it’s hiding under the CD. So there is at least some commentary from MP in the regular CD package!

Offline Hypnotherapist

« Reply #667 on: April 17, 2021, 04:06:35 PM »
Does this work?

-Marc.

Yes, now it's worked. Do you know what happened?  ???
[/quote]

In order to use the img tags, you need to have the actual .jpg file address, but your link just goes to the photo viewer page, not the actual image itself.

-Marc.
[/quote]
Thanks for the tip, I was not aware of it  ;)
Exactly, it is printed there as it has also confirmed HOF  :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: New LTE Coming Spring 2021!!
« Reply #668 on: April 17, 2021, 04:35:54 PM »
So I stated that I was finding it hard to get excited about the new LTE.
Well, I heard gave it a listen today and I must say...It's amazing!!

It is so nice to finally hear MP again playing this style. I've had basically zero interest in anything he's done since he left DT, and listening today, it's almost bittersweet.

I love his playing and I miss it in DT. JP is fucking smoking on this as well. They really make a great team.

I also like the sort of insight that MP used to deliver for DT in the blurb about the jam tracks in the picture posted above. It actually explains what I don't like about the first two LTE albums.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 07:09:24 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline dvargas

« Reply #669 on: April 17, 2021, 06:40:12 PM »
Hypersonic - fantastically thrilling
Beating the Odds - meh
Liquid Evolution - the most LTE song on the album. Brings back memories.
Passage of Time - meh
C & K odyssey - what a waste of 5 min
Rhapsody in Blue - as some have pointed out , I would’ve preferred this as a bonus track and have another original instead.
Shades of Hope - sweet
Key to Imagination - Phenomenal!

Some fun runs and interesting bits in the jams.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #670 on: April 17, 2021, 07:04:16 PM »
Loving the album so far, just purchased MP Drum Cam version download, brilliant.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #671 on: April 17, 2021, 09:08:22 PM »
Oh man, that last tune, Key to the Imagination is so good. There's a lot to chew on with that one.

Yep, that is definitely a standout.  Levin's groove in that one is bad ass as hell.

I actually really like the Chris & Kevin track, and Liquid Evolution is amazing. Probably my favorite so far. Beating the Odds is really good too though. I’d say my early favorites are:

1. Liquid Evolution
2. Beating the Odds
3. Key to the Imagination

But I also think the jams from the second disc may top some of those.

Liquid Evolution is really good, but I definitely wish it was longer.  Feels like it is just getting great when it ends. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #672 on: April 17, 2021, 11:16:35 PM »
Can anyone with the BD handy tell me if there is some loud static/popping noise at around 31:16 into the album, not far into the beginning of "Rhapsody In Blue", in the STEREO mix of the album?

I double checked the 5.1 Mixes and they both sounded clean, but for SOME reason, in the stereo mix at that time stamp, there is some invasive loud popping static for about 8-10 seconds. It's It's only blemish I've heard on the BD's stereo mix so far as I'm giving it giving it better watch/listen tonight.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #673 on: April 18, 2021, 01:32:30 AM »
Did anyone order the 3LP boxset and has received it already? Does that version include the liner notes?

I have the deluxe LP/blu-ray version. It contains a 12" booklet with the liner notes. Suspect the 3LP version is the same but can't conclusively confirm.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #674 on: April 18, 2021, 01:49:54 AM »
Can anyone with the BD handy tell me if there is some loud static/popping noise at around 31:16 into the album, not far into the beginning of "Rhapsody In Blue", in the STEREO mix of the album?

I double checked the 5.1 Mixes and they both sounded clean, but for SOME reason, in the stereo mix at that time stamp, there is some invasive loud popping static for about 8-10 seconds. It's It's only blemish I've heard on the BD's stereo mix so far as I'm giving it giving it better watch/listen tonight.

-Marc.

Can confirm mine exhibits the same behaviour from 31:15 to about 31:22, so looks like we're all going to be affected. Time for a reissue. (Have reported to Burning Shed.)

The 'back' arrow on the blu-ray between the section and option you're choosing also needs to be changed since if you're using a mouse and run over the arrow, it automatically pops you back to the section title.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 01:58:00 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline faizoff

« Reply #675 on: April 18, 2021, 04:06:32 AM »

-Marc.

Can confirm mine exhibits the same behaviour from 31:15 to about 31:22, so looks like we're all going to be affected.
Time for a reissue. (Have reported to Burning Shed.)

The 'back' arrow on the blu-ray between the section and option you're choosing also needs to be changed since if you're using a mouse and run over the arrow, it automatically pops you back to the section title.

Yup, just checked. It's there on my stereo mix as well. Bummer.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #676 on: April 18, 2021, 05:05:29 AM »
Hypersonic - like the first 2:46 of it, which all seems to flow really well, it then just degenerates into noodling territory for me.  Petrucci’s melodic solo is ok but the rest isn’t for me.

Beating The Odds - solid instrumental with some really nice melodic Petrucci moments.

Liquid Evolution - very nice little interlude, very Satriani-esque.

The Passage Of Time - Really good, some of the intense riffing of Hypersonic with the more structured feel of Beating The Odds.  Nice melodic passages from Petrucci and Rudess with some noodling (it is LTE after all) but never ruins the flow of the song.

Chris and Kevin’s Amazing Odyssey - never been into any of these and this is no different.  It’s probably the most listenable one they’ve done though.

Rhapsody In Blue - haven’t changed my opinion that this should have been a fun bonus track rather than taking up 12-13 min of the album.  It was something that I used to always skip on the 2008 live releases and will probably end up being the same on this.  I can see that there is some great playing in this and can see why they may do it as a fun live showcase but not on their long awaited new album.  Just my opinion though.

Shades Of Hope - yawn.  I was listening to this wondering why I could pretty much guess every note Petrucci was going to play before he played it and then realised that he was basically just playing a duller version of The Best Of Times.

Key To The Imagination - I can see this eventually becoming my favourite on the album.  I still keep drifting off in the middle of it but some awesome riffs and solos and genuine goosebump inducing melodies from Petrucci.

Overall then, similar to all LTE records, it’s up and down but I don’t think it’s ups are quite on the level of the other two albums.  It’s a bit similar to the Transatlantic album to me in that it’s a decent effort and I’m enjoying it  but doesn’t quite recapture the magic of the old albums.  I can see some on here suggesting it’s better than anything DT have done, post Portnoy.  Not for me, not even close.  I am someone who would quite like a Portnoy return for nostalgia reasons and because he was a founder member of the band but this album doesn’t really add to the argument one way or the other.  I actually enjoyed the chemistry between Petrucci and Portnoy more on his solo album last year.

I haven’t given the jams too much attention yet, just kind of background listens but it does sound like there’s some really good stuff in there which may elevate this album a bit more.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #677 on: April 18, 2021, 06:11:01 AM »
I listened to the entire package start to finish yesterday with headphones while cleaning the house with Mrs. NoseHair and I really enjoyed all of it. 

Offline JPX

« Reply #678 on: April 18, 2021, 07:38:47 AM »
Hypersonic - like the first 2:46 of it, which all seems to flow really well, it then just degenerates into noodling territory for me.  Petrucci’s melodic solo is ok but the rest isn’t for me.

Beating The Odds - solid instrumental with some really nice melodic Petrucci moments.

Liquid Evolution - very nice little interlude, very Satriani-esque.

The Passage Of Time - Really good, some of the intense riffing of Hypersonic with the more structured feel of Beating The Odds.  Nice melodic passages from Petrucci and Rudess with some noodling (it is LTE after all) but never ruins the flow of the song.

Chris and Kevin’s Amazing Odyssey - never been into any of these and this is no different.  It’s probably the most listenable one they’ve done though.

Rhapsody In Blue - haven’t changed my opinion that this should have been a fun bonus track rather than taking up 12-13 min of the album.  It was something that I used to always skip on the 2008 live releases and will probably end up being the same on this.  I can see that there is some great playing in this and can see why they may do it as a fun live showcase but not on their long awaited new album.  Just my opinion though.

Shades Of Hope - yawn.  I was listening to this wondering why I could pretty much guess every note Petrucci was going to play before he played it and then realised that he was basically just playing a duller version of The Best Of Times.

Key To The Imagination - I can see this eventually becoming my favourite on the album.  I still keep drifting off in the middle of it but some awesome riffs and solos and genuine goosebump inducing melodies from Petrucci.

Overall then, similar to all LTE records, it’s up and down but I don’t think it’s ups are quite on the level of the other two albums.  It’s a bit similar to the Transatlantic album to me in that it’s a decent effort and I’m enjoying it  but doesn’t quite recapture the magic of the old albums.  I can see some on here suggesting it’s better than anything DT have done, post Portnoy.  Not for me, not even close.  I am someone who would quite like a Portnoy return for nostalgia reasons and because he was a founder member of the band but this album doesn’t really add to the argument one way or the other.  I actually enjoyed the chemistry between Petrucci and Portnoy more on his solo album last year.

I haven’t given the jams too much attention yet, just kind of background listens but it does sound like there’s some really good stuff in there which may elevate this album a bit more.

Finally, I realistic review instead of it being "the best LTE album" after one listen. Totally agree about RiB - if you take away the 3 singles, the transitional pieces and the cover, I feel like I was only left with 2 real tracks to dig into. Thank God for the bonus disc I guess. I wish they has just released one single so at least it would have felt fresher .

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #679 on: April 18, 2021, 09:31:53 AM »
I think the Rhapsody is the highlight of the album  :hefdaddy
any rock can be made to roll

Offline HOF

« Reply #680 on: April 18, 2021, 09:39:07 AM »
I’m more or less in the camp of people who don’t care for Rhapsody and think it should have been left off the main album. There are parts of it which are pretty cool but on the whole it’s a long listen without a ton of payoff. Replace it with Blink of an Eye from the bonus disc maybe. I also don’t care for Shades of Hope which is a yawner much like State of Grace. The other somewhat weak spot is Hypersonic. It’s one you sort of put up with because it exists as a show off piece (much like Paradigm Shift and Acid Rain). Those songs are fun on a certain level but not terribly interesting. I think the jams are all more interesting than that one.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #681 on: April 18, 2021, 09:41:35 AM »
Hypersonic definitely seems like a much lesser version of Acid Rain, but I don't mind if as a way of kicking off the record by slamming you in the face with a ball-rattler.  :metal :metal

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #682 on: April 18, 2021, 09:45:45 AM »
I've never been a huge C&K fan either - I tend to skip the one on the first LTE album, and am not missing the second installment from not appearing on LTE2.

However, I gotta say, that while this is not my favorite track on LTE3, I really do like it! Reminds me a bit of the extended part of Rush's By-Tor and the Snow Dog that only appears on All the World's a Stage, and the introductory track Intruder that was used to set up Van Halen's cover of Pretty Woman on Diver Down - both of which I love.

Hope whatever form C&K takes on the next LTE album will be more in line with what they did on this one.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline HOF

« Reply #683 on: April 18, 2021, 09:49:17 AM »
Hypersonic definitely seems like a much lesser version of Acid Rain, but I don't mind if as a way of kicking off the record by slamming you in the face with a ball-rattler.  :metal :metal

Yeah, I don’t hate it and it was fun just to be sort of blown away right when you put the CD on the first time. Just not something I see myself listening to often (I actually often skip both Paradigm Shift and Acid Rain too).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #684 on: April 18, 2021, 09:52:08 AM »

Yeah, I don’t hate it and it was fun just to be sort of blown away right when you put the CD on the first time. Just not something I see myself listening to often (I actually often skip both Paradigm Shift and Acid Rain too).

I love Paradigm Shift too much to ever skip that one, but Acid Rain has never been one of my favorites.   I like it, but I don't love it like I do many of the other songs from the 2nd record.  The 51-minute stretch of Another Dimension through Liquid Dreams will be difficult for them to ever top.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #685 on: April 18, 2021, 10:05:12 AM »
I actually enjoy Acid Rain and Paradigm Shift a lot.  Yes they are kind of show off pieces but they work as face-melting openers and still feel like proper composed tracks.  Hypersonic starts off in that vein but at about the 2:45 mark it just goes totally off the rails and the remaining 6 min or whatever is just pointless wankery imo.

Offline HOF

« Reply #686 on: April 18, 2021, 10:10:10 AM »
I actually enjoy Acid Rain and Paradigm Shift a lot.  Yes they are kind of show off pieces but they work as face-melting openers and still feel like proper composed tracks.  Hypersonic starts off in that vein but at about the 2:45 mark it just goes totally off the rails and the remaining 6 min or whatever is just pointless wankery imo.

Yeah, I think Hypersonic needed a stronger hook/theme once the introductory wanking stops. I can more or less recall how it starts and ends but the middle is all just a bit mushy without much I can remember.

Offline HOF

« Reply #687 on: April 18, 2021, 10:13:11 AM »
Currently being blown away by Your Beard is Good. These jams are a ton of fun. I know not everyone likes that kind of thing, but they’re super impressive to me.

Offline DT89

« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 04:32:17 PM by DT89 »

Offline darkshade

« Reply #689 on: April 18, 2021, 11:29:35 AM »
if you take away the 3 singles, the transitional pieces and the cover, I feel like I was only left with 2 real tracks to dig into. Thank God for the bonus disc I guess. I wish they has just released one single so at least it would have felt fresher .

This is why I didn't listen to the singles leading up to release (aside from one listen to The Passage of Time when it first got released.)

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #690 on: April 18, 2021, 01:07:44 PM »
As suspected, the jam songs do elevate this a lot now that I’m sitting down and listening to them.  Not got through all of it yet but I could listen to them in full flow like this all day.  Petrucci in particular just seems to have and endless supply of brilliance just at his fingertips whenever he needs it.  That entire improvised show that they recorded (When The Keyboard Breaks) was incredible and this is so great too.  It’s hard to believe that he (and I know it’s not just Petrucci but he is the lead player in a lot of it) just makes this up as he’s going along.  I’d buy a ticket to watch a show where these just improv for 2 hours.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #691 on: April 18, 2021, 02:29:44 PM »
The most impressive thing about LTE is how they manage to create such quality music just jamming along. What a chemistry! Although I love the jams songs from LTE1 and 2, I think the jams in LTE3 succeed to have even more musicality than in those albums. Well, they all have more 20 years as musicians, so, no surprise.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #692 on: April 18, 2021, 05:27:45 PM »
I guess I’m the only one who absolutely loves Hypersonic. I find every single part enjoyable and memorable so to me it’s not just mindless wankery.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #693 on: April 18, 2021, 06:06:52 PM »
Hypersonic and Key to the Imagination are my favorites from LTE3 and up there with the best songs of the band :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline NoFred

« Reply #694 on: April 18, 2021, 10:17:32 PM »
Hypersonic and Key to the Imagination are my favorites from LTE3 and up there with the best songs of the band :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

That last minute of Key to the imagination... bittersweet is the correct word

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #695 on: April 19, 2021, 04:43:28 AM »
I guess I’m the only one who absolutely loves Hypersonic. I find every single part enjoyable and memorable so to me it’s not just mindless wankery.

No, I think a lot of people like it and that’s awesome, I wish I did too.  Maybe it will grow on me, that’s just how I feel at the moment.

Online the_silent_man

« Reply #696 on: April 19, 2021, 07:00:23 AM »
Love hypersonic, rhapsody and key. Classic LTE tracks.
Really like liquid evolution and shades too. Well needed breaks and great melodic tracks.

C&K is ok but I could also live without. Its interesting enough and something a little different though.

Beating the odds and passage are nice but nothing too special for LTE. Beating the odds almost sounds like a JP solo track. These may be the weakest 2 for me.

Love most of the jam stuff on disk 2.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #697 on: April 19, 2021, 07:20:53 AM »
I love every single song on both discs, don't know what it is but I'm really enjoying every note of it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #698 on: April 19, 2021, 09:35:28 AM »
I love every single song on both discs, don't know what it is but I'm really enjoying every note of it.
Same with me.  My least favorite is Shades of Hope, but it is still really good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DT89

« Reply #699 on: April 19, 2021, 10:18:55 AM »
This transcription completes LTE3! Always a blast to transcribe JP's stuff.

Liquid Tension Experiment | Liquid Evolution | Guitar Tab

LTE3 tabs playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNYXfMfhF-A9bxJNK46S8GhWeulkfwWl8