Author Topic: New LTE - LTE 3 2021!!  (Read 55521 times)

Offline lanemeyer

Re: New LTE teased?
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2020, 12:48:23 PM »
Honestly, just getting another full album of JP on guitar is enough to get me stupidly excited.
Scientia fortitudo venit.

Online HOF

« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2020, 12:48:50 PM »
Both MP and JP have now posted the full picture! I love that it's still as weird and low-budget as the pictures/covers for the first two albums  :lol

It occurred to me yesterday that they may have actually already recorded this. Since it looks like they are all together for this picture, that may be the case.

Online faizoff

« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2020, 12:51:37 PM »
It occurred to me yesterday that they may have actually already recorded this. Since it looks like they are all together for this picture, that may be the case.

Yeah it's possible they recorded it back in August when MP posted a teaser of sorts on an Instagram story.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2020, 12:52:11 PM »
I assume that it's either completely recorded or mostly recorded with just a few dubs being needed. Who knows how the mixing/mastering is coming though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2020, 01:15:36 PM »
Both MP and JP have now posted the full picture! I love that it's still as weird and low-budget as the pictures/covers for the first two albums  :lol

And yet, probably the picture was taken with a high-end camera.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2020, 01:32:00 PM »
I didn't spend much time listening to LTE, but a new album coming out is definitely a cultural event, so I'm very excited to have a new one.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Mladen

« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2020, 03:01:24 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of the first two, but yeah, this is quite an event. I will be checking it out.  :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2020, 07:07:22 PM »
Bold statement time: I still think both LTE albums are better than every Dream Theater studio album not named Images and Words, Awake, Scenes from a Memory or Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2020, 08:00:13 PM »
CTTE with LTE and TA

Online HOF

« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2020, 08:10:39 PM »
Bold statement time: I still think both LTE albums are better than every Dream Theater studio album not named Images and Words, Awake, Scenes from a Memory or Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.

I’d rank them above everything since FII at least.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2020, 08:52:23 PM »

There's too much "filler" stuff on both LTE albums to make them better that DT's (imo, of course) and there's obviously different approaches for both bands (crazy instrumentals/improvs vs songs with vocals) to even compare them well.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2020, 09:36:11 PM »
I can't think of a single song on either LTE album that I would call filler. 

Note: not liking a song does not automatically make it filler. ;)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2020, 09:58:49 PM »

Three Minute Warning.

(I know this is all subjective anyway ;D)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2020, 06:23:36 AM »

Three Minute Warning.

(I know this is all subjective anyway ;D)

The more jam orientated songs. I much preferred the more "composed" tracks.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2020, 08:50:11 AM »
Awesome news. I put LTE1 and LTE2 above half of DT's discography, so no high expectations or anything.
Having said that, I don't know what to expect. All the band's equipment is different, their writing has changed a bit over 20 years, but at the same time, Petrucci and Rudess working with Portnoy for the first time in 10 years could lead to a lot of fresh ideas, and MP and JP had a warm up with Terminal Velocity.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2020, 08:57:20 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of the first two, but yeah, this is quite an event. I will be checking it out.  :tup

This.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline darkshade

« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2020, 09:04:04 AM »

Throw in Train of Thought with that list and you got yourself a deal. ToT is at least equal to the LTE albums to me. Really, much of Scenes, and Six Degrees and ToT, bring that LTE energy where albums since do not.

I like jams, and while I enjoy it some times, Three Minute Warning does drag down the first LTE album a little, but the rest is solid, and I think LTE2 is untouchable. Both are still more enjoyable listens for me than most of DT's output after ToT/8vm.

I'm hoping for a double disc, either a double album, which would be fantastic, or a single album with a bonus disc with extra jams.

Offline gborland

« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2020, 09:06:32 AM »
Mangini must be getting more nervous by the day.
Graham Borland

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2020, 09:10:59 AM »

Never say never, but I'm confident the band is happy with the way things are. JLB and Myung don't want Portnoy back, and Petrucci and Rudess can satisfy their artistic itches with a longtime friend and (ex) bandmate without having to face all the headaches that the last years of Portnoy's tenure would bring.

I repeat, never say never, but my odds are on the band being in its final lineup until some unexpected retirement comes along.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2020, 09:14:43 AM »

Never say never, but I'm confident the band is happy with the way things are. JLB and Myung don't want Portnoy back, and Petrucci and Rudess can satisfy their artistic itches with a longtime friend and (ex) bandmate without having to face all the headaches that the last years of Portnoy's tenure would bring.

I repeat, never say never, but my odds are on the band being in its final lineup until some unexpected retirement comes along.

Not trying to detour this thread, and correct me if I'm wrong, but from my understanding the only one who seems to be indifferent or even against MP re-joining is JLB.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2020, 09:21:39 AM »
That's what's great about Myung's silence. Anyone can interpret into it what they want.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2020, 09:53:59 AM »
That's what's great about Myung's silence. Anyone can interpret into it what they want.

JLB is the only one who's had no contact with MP since the split, we know that.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2020, 10:02:38 AM »
Wait, wait, wait.

So,

no Lars?

Seriously, this is AWESOME news! Long overdue!

:lol  I saw someone on FB say "No Mangini?...skip."   :rollin
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2020, 11:23:55 AM »

Not trying to detour this thread, and correct me if I'm wrong, but from my understanding the only one who seems to be indifferent or even against MP re-joining is JLB.
There's also Mike Mangini :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2020, 11:27:03 AM »
I thought he didn't get along with Myung either...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2020, 11:27:48 AM »

Meh. Petrucci put out that statement to clarify that Portnoy is definitely NOT coming back to Dream Theater.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2020, 11:29:59 AM »
I thought he didn't get along with Myung either...
Whatever issues were between them appear to have been mended since MP commented that they spent New Years eve together last year.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #97 on: December 16, 2020, 12:23:25 PM »
Nope
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2020, 01:12:25 PM »
You know what would be really fucking cool is if Dream Theater did reunite with Mike Portnoy and they made a big progressive metal double-concept album with Mangini and Portnoy both on the album, followed by a tour of "An Evening With Dream Theater" where they do 2 sets of 1 hour each playing all the Portnoy-era stuff with Portnoy and the Mangini-era stuff with Mangini, followed by a huge 45-minute encore where they have both drummers on the stage.

If the last decade or so has taught me anything it's that you should never say 'never'  :hat

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2020, 01:56:42 PM »
To this day the 08 show in Downy is the single best show I've seen. While I'm certainly interested in new music, I'm more interested in being able to go somewhere and see them play again. That's one I'd travel to hell to see if it were the only option. That said, Mangini would be a dealbreaker. Thankfully there's no chance in hell that would happen. It's Portnoy or it's nobody.
I was there too!  We shoulda hooked up!  Helluva show in a nice small(ish) venue!  SOOOO excited to see the LTE3 pop up on my FB page!!!!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2020, 02:23:34 PM »
I don't expect that they are imminently getting back together, but two thoughts:

- one, I don't know him, I've never met him, but Mangini strikes me as a practical guy.  I would expect him to handle any changes like Bruce Kulick did with Kiss.  You don't enter a band like that with the history they've had, obliviously.
- two, there are too many variables to play with.   Three of the four are socially connected again, but while I'm now friends with my ex-wife I don't want to marry her again.  Conversely, it's not out of the question that Mangini is tired of bad drum sounds, answering the question, and not being able to teach.  Who knows what goes on in the hearts of men?    I never in a million years thought I would ever see Kiss IN makeup with the four original guys, and I did, four times. I got into Yes with 90120, and never in a million years thought I would see them with the classic Anderson/Wakeman lineup, but I did.   Page/Plant.  Ozzy Sabbath.  Asia with John Wetton.   Van Halen with Dave.  And I can name as many that I would have expected to reform, and haven't (or missed the opportunity).   It's impossible to forecast.

I'm going to live in the LTE3 moment and enjoy what I get, musically.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2020, 03:29:43 PM »

The more jam orientated songs. I much preferred the more "composed" tracks.

I do as well for the most part, but I can appreciate the jam tracks for what they are, and Three Minute Warning is a beast of a jam. I love that they left it as is and did zero editing to it.

Throw in Train of Thought with that list and you got yourself a deal. ToT is at least equal to the LTE albums to me. Really, much of Scenes, and Six Degrees and ToT, bring that LTE energy where albums since do not.

I like jams, and while I enjoy it some times, Three Minute Warning does drag down the first LTE album a little, but the rest is solid, and I think LTE2 is untouchable. Both are still more enjoyable listens for me than most of DT's output after ToT/8vm.

I'm hoping for a double disc, either a double album, which would be fantastic, or a single album with a bonus disc with extra jams.

I go back and forth on which LTE album I prefer.  The songs are stellar on both, but the first has a production that is a bit warmer and more organic, at least to my ears.  Then again, the second has Chewbacca, which somehow has become my favorite LTE song.  I am still more than pleased with both. :metal :metal

Online HOF

« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2020, 07:02:07 AM »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2020, 07:12:52 AM »
“Spring” release date and teaser trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRvCuDIMIzo&feature=youtu.be

Some words and a new pic of the band here:

https://m.facebook.com/#!/story.php?story_fbid=5215045421846391&id=116713035013014

Wow, that teaser is intense and heavy! I can't wait to hear what Jordan and John can do outside of DT, and with Mike and Tony again. I hope there are some of more uplifting and major-scale sounding pieces as well. Cannot wait to hear and see more!
A spring release is good, right between Transatlantic and Big Big Train for me!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online HOF

« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2020, 07:21:17 AM »
“Spring” release date and teaser trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRvCuDIMIzo&feature=youtu.be

Some words and a new pic of the band here:

https://m.facebook.com/#!/story.php?story_fbid=5215045421846391&id=116713035013014

Wow, that teaser is intense and heavy! I can't wait to hear what Jordan and John can do outside of DT, and with Mike and Tony again. I hope there are some of more uplifting and major-scale sounding pieces as well. Cannot wait to hear and see more!
A spring release is good, right between Transatlantic and Big Big Train for me!

-Marc.

I’d bet money (if I were that kind of guy) that this clip is the lead track in the vein of Paradigm Shift or Acid Rain.