Author Topic: New LTE - LTE 3 2021!!  (Read 55801 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: New LTE Coming Spring 2021!!
« Reply #630 on: April 16, 2021, 08:02:37 PM »
DT Facebook page it’s promoting the new LTE album, very classy.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #631 on: April 16, 2021, 08:05:06 PM »
The bonus disc jams are also great, they actually feel like with a little rework they could have fit on the main disc. I'm so glad they decided to release it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online HOF

« Reply #632 on: April 16, 2021, 08:31:26 PM »
My CD was delivered this evening and had to run some errands so got to listen to the first 4 tracks in the car. Think it’s gonna be a fun driving album. Of those 4 tracks, the middle two blew me away while the other two were also cool but a bit heavy handed. Nothing bad, just not as interesting to me. But I do really like the sound of this, and it definitely captures the vibe and spirit of what made LTE so exciting back in the day.

Edit: heh, just realized track 4 was The Passage of Time (the one track I had already heard). Wasn’t looking at the track list while driving and hadn’t really internalized the song enough to recognize it I guess. Checking out the CD liner and I’m a little bummed there aren’t any liner notes like in the first two albums. Always thought that was a fun touch.

Second edit: what’s up with Inside Out releases not having the artwork uploaded to the Microsoft database for when you rip a CD? Surprisingly The Absolute Universe did, but the last two IO albums I got before that didn’t and neither does LTE3. Annoying.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 09:17:35 PM by HOF »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #633 on: April 16, 2021, 09:47:00 PM »
My CD was delivered this evening and had to run some errands so got to listen to the first 4 tracks in the car. Think it’s gonna be a fun driving album. Of those 4 tracks, the middle two blew me away while the other two were also cool but a bit heavy handed. Nothing bad, just not as interesting to me. But I do really like the sound of this, and it definitely captures the vibe and spirit of what made LTE so exciting back in the day.

Edit: heh, just realized track 4 was The Passage of Time (the one track I had already heard). Wasn’t looking at the track list while driving and hadn’t really internalized the song enough to recognize it I guess. Checking out the CD liner and I’m a little bummed there aren’t any liner notes like in the first two albums. Always thought that was a fun touch.

Second edit: what’s up with Inside Out releases not having the artwork uploaded to the Microsoft database for when you rip a CD? Surprisingly The Absolute Universe did, but the last two IO albums I got before that didn’t and neither does LTE3. Annoying.

The CD-only set doesn't have the liner notes?? I'm glad I got the artbook then! There's a printed foreward/intro, interview and tidbits for each song.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online HOF

« Reply #634 on: April 16, 2021, 10:10:01 PM »

The CD-only set doesn't have the liner notes?? I'm glad I got the artbook then! There's a printed foreward/intro, interview and tidbits for each song.

-Marc.

Nope. It's the song tidbits I was hoping for. I get needing to keep some stuff exclusive to the special package, but those song blurbs were a bit of an LTE tradition. There's just photos of the band (which are pretty cool) with a few thanks/acknowledgements by each guy.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #635 on: April 16, 2021, 10:32:46 PM »
Yea those liner notes or "lyrics" ;D  on the artbook are great. I have to go through the essay as well. I'm loving these artbooks everyone has been putting out.
There's no mention of the video of the guys jamming Ya Mon, you have to click the '3' on the bluray menu to view it. It's not even listed anywhere and is a nice surprise honeslty.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #636 on: April 16, 2021, 10:40:15 PM »
Yea those liner notes or "lyrics" ;D  on the artbook are great. I have to go through the essay as well. I'm loving these artbooks everyone has been putting out.
There's no mention of the video of the guys jamming Ya Mon, you have to click the '3' on the bluray menu to view it. It's not even listed anywhere and is a nice surprise honeslty.

Wait...there's a legit on-disc Easter Egg?! What is this, 1999? Hot damn, I'll have to check this out! Thanks for the heads up!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #637 on: April 16, 2021, 10:40:57 PM »
Blink of an Eye is fucking insane.

Online HOF

« Reply #638 on: April 16, 2021, 11:18:36 PM »

I’m two tracks in on the jam disc, and both of these are great so far. In some ways I’m enjoying these more than the main disc.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #639 on: April 17, 2021, 01:06:00 AM »

Why wouldn’t they when 2 members of DT are in the band?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #640 on: April 17, 2021, 05:15:46 AM »

I’m two tracks in on the jam disc, and both of these are great so far. In some ways I’m enjoying these more than the main disc.

That's how I feel, the main disc is good and enjoyable but the jams capture their chemistry so perfectly and it reflects throughout in a very organic way.

Blink of an eye, Solid resolution and Your Beard is Good are my favorite so far.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline darkshade

« Reply #641 on: April 17, 2021, 07:37:04 AM »
LTE3 is really giving me the SFAM/6DoIT vibes, but with something a little extra in there. The energy level is so high on this album.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #642 on: April 17, 2021, 07:57:13 AM »
You knew it was coming. Where do you rank LTE3 among the other LTE studio albums and DT studio albums? I stuck in the JP solo albums as well..

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Images and Words
Awake
Scenes From A Memory
Liquid Tension Experiment 2
Octavarium

Train of Thought
Liquid Tension Experiment 3
Liquid Tension Experiment
Black Clouds & Silver Linings
Falling Into Infinity

A Dramatic Turn of Events
Terminal Velocity
Suspended Animation
Systematic Chaos
Distance Over Time

When Dream and Day Unite
DT12
Spontaneous Combustion
The Astonishing

LTE2 is hard to top for me, but I think LTE3 is at least as good as LTE1. I'm giving it the edge because I am just loving this entire release.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #643 on: April 17, 2021, 08:00:21 AM »
It is waaaay too soon for me to rank LTE3, but I know that LTE1 and LTE2 would rank ahead of every DT album for me not named Awake, Scenes from a Memory or Images and Words.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #644 on: April 17, 2021, 08:21:25 AM »
Oh man, that last tune, Key to the Imagination is so good. There's a lot to chew on with that one.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #645 on: April 17, 2021, 08:40:18 AM »
I've only heard LTE3 once, so I couldn't reasonably rank it yet. That said, LTE + DT for me is as follows:

1. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
2. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
3. Octavarium
4. Liquid Tension Experiment 2
5. Liquid Tension Experiment
6. Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory
7. A Dramatic Turn of Events
8. The Astonishing
9. Distance Over Time
10. Systematic Chaos
11. Images & Words
12. Awake
13. Dream Theater
14. Train of Thought
15. Falling Into Infinity
16. When Dream and Day Unite
17. Spontaneous Combustion

Online HOF

« Reply #646 on: April 17, 2021, 08:55:31 AM »
Oh man, that last tune, Key to the Imagination is so good. There's a lot to chew on with that one.

Yep, it’s kind of the When The Water Breaks of this album. Some really cool and unique passages. It has some amazing playing by Tony. Someone said they though he was too low in the mix, but I thought he came through really well on both discs and might be the star of the album.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #647 on: April 17, 2021, 08:58:11 AM »

Yep, it’s kind of the When The Water Breaks of this album. Some really cool and unique passages. It has some amazing playing by Tony. Someone said they though he was too low in the mix, but I thought he came through really well on both discs and might be the star of the album.

On my good speakers, Levin's bass cuts right through. I think he's mixed better here than on the first 2 albums.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #648 on: April 17, 2021, 09:13:48 AM »
This album contains the spirit of the music I felt dissipated over time in DT. There's a freshness to the music that seemed to not be there as much when DT signed over to Roadrunner. This album surely ranks up there with the first two LTE albums, but the energy of those two albums carried over to DT world and stayed there until Octavarium imo. After that album, while there have been great moments throughout, and I have a soft spot for BC&SL, to me, musically, the last 6 DT albums have either felt stale/uninspired, overly complex for the sake of it without regard to composition, contain more than one awkward transition in their songs, and/or sound like DT-by-numbers.

LTE3 is none of that. Throw in some JLB vocals on a few of the tunes somewhere, and this is what should have followed up Octavarium.

Funny thing for me is, That is the sound that I felt got stale in Dream Theater, and the sound I was kind of getting tired of hearing, every album had that, oh, here's another LTE inspired type of instrumental.

And what's even funnier, is that LTE 3 has certain sections that are really reminiscent of Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds and Silver Linings...

In Beating The Odds, they basically do a re-do of In The Presence of Enemies Pt. 2 end instrumental section at 2:14, especially MP's drum parts, they sound exactly the same  :lol ...and at about 1:30, and 4:30 they do something that reminds me of Ministry of Lost Souls. But the main riff and groove remind me of the "My brother gabriel...music is the gift he brings" part of The Gift of Music.  :lol

I wouldn't mind it at all, if MP played Drum Parts that are not reminiscent of those past songs, almost even playing an identical drum pattern for those sections.  :lol

But, I do enjoy it a bit. Not as much as the other two, because of this reason that most of these songs sound like Dream Theater songs. And not vice-versa, My favorites are Liquid Evolution and The Keys to The Imagination. Now these are what I wanted to hear from LTE.

Shades of Hope was vastly disappointing to me because it sounds so similar to The Best of Times, and it doesn't have that same impact as Hourglass, State of Grace or Freedom of Speech. I do hear this though in Liquid Evolution...

Rhapsody In Blue is a great cover. I just wish it was relegated to the bonus disk or left off the album completely. This would've left room for another full composition.

I haven't listened to the bonus disk yet, but I am starting to think I may end up enjoying those more than the actual album...

For my first listen ranking it'd go:

1. Liquid Evolution
2. Keys to The Imagination
3. Hypersonic
4. Beating The Odds
5. The Passage of Time
6. Rhapsody In Blue
7. Chris and Kevin's Amazing Odyssey

Edit: I am listening again, and the ITPOE pt.2 sections are also in The Passage of Time as well. And it's due to Portnoys drum patterns being pretty similar.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline JPX

« Reply #649 on: April 17, 2021, 09:30:26 AM »
In LTE, Rudess has more freedom. I think he used to have more freedom in DT when he first joined too, but both he and MP have stated "things are different in DT" in regards to LTE comparisons.

In general Rudess sounds way more creative outside of DT these days. Listen to Rudess/Minnemann/Levin and the same is true.

Offline JPX

« Reply #650 on: April 17, 2021, 09:32:46 AM »
You knew it was coming. Where do you rank LTE3 among the other LTE studio albums and DT studio albums? I stuck in the JP solo albums as well..

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Images and Words
Awake
Scenes From A Memory
Liquid Tension Experiment 2
Octavarium

Train of Thought
Liquid Tension Experiment 3
Liquid Tension Experiment
Black Clouds & Silver Linings
Falling Into Infinity

A Dramatic Turn of Events
Terminal Velocity
Suspended Animation
Systematic Chaos
Distance Over Time

When Dream and Day Unite
DT12
Spontaneous Combustion
The Astonishing

LTE2 is hard to top for me, but I think LTE3 is at least as good as LTE1. I'm giving it the edge because I am just loving this entire release.

Album ranking after less than 24 hours ROFL

Online HOF

« Reply #651 on: April 17, 2021, 10:07:41 AM »

On my good speakers, Levin's bass cuts right through. I think he's mixed better here than on the first 2 albums.

Some of what I’m hearing might be JP’s bottom string (not sure if he’s playing 7 string or what). I do think the sound and mix are pretty great overall.

Online HOF

« Reply #652 on: April 17, 2021, 10:15:10 AM »
This album contains the spirit of the music I felt dissipated over time in DT. There's a freshness to the music that seemed to not be there as much when DT signed over to Roadrunner. This album surely ranks up there with the first two LTE albums, but the energy of those two albums carried over to DT world and stayed there until Octavarium imo. After that album, while there have been great moments throughout, and I have a soft spot for BC&SL, to me, musically, the last 6 DT albums have either felt stale/uninspired, overly complex for the sake of it without regard to composition, contain more than one awkward transition in their songs, and/or sound like DT-by-numbers.

LTE3 is none of that. Throw in some JLB vocals on a few of the tunes somewhere, and this is what should have followed up Octavarium.

Funny thing for me is, That is the sound that I felt got stale in Dream Theater, and the sound I was kind of getting tired of hearing, every album had that, oh, here's another LTE inspired type of instrumental.

I always felt like the band struggled to incorporate the LTE style into Dream Theater when Jordan joined the band. It’s more fun when it’s just a crazy instrumental thing and less fun when you try to turn it into actual songs with a singer. I do hear a lot of the same over-the-top stylings as modern DT on this album, but I can deal with it better in this context. No James trying to sing about the smell of stale sweat and shit over it.

Offline DT89

Offline Hypnotherapist

Re: Novo LTE Coming Spring 2021!!
« Reply #654 on: April 17, 2021, 10:40:51 AM »
My Japanese edition arrived yesterday (waiting for my artbook, which hasn't even left Germany ..... crazy world). Very minimalist insert, some photos and thanks, but the content of the CDs (and particularly in this edition in BSCD2) makes up for everything that was missing, in this case I didn't really need a word.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjd9lngwirivr09/20210417_130822.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qtju6348x14ecw1/20210417_130838.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dr1g3rkt88eo94k/20210417_130939.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mmucbqn48v7is72/20210417_131136.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qr5xqfib846in7w/20210417_131210.jpg?dl=0
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 10:48:24 AM by Hypnotherapist »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #655 on: April 17, 2021, 10:51:23 AM »

-Marc.

Nope. It's the song tidbits I was hoping for. I get needing to keep some stuff exclusive to the special package, but those song blurbs were a bit of an LTE tradition. There's just photos of the band (which are pretty cool) with a few thanks/acknowledgements by each guy.

Did anyone order the 3LP boxset and has received it already? Does that version include the liner notes?

Because under every post, there's always half a million annoying comments about Portnoy having to return to Dream Theater and once they post something that's actually about Portnoy, those half a million become a full million.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #656 on: April 17, 2021, 11:44:43 AM »
Because under every post, there's always half a million annoying comments about Portnoy having to return to Dream Theater and once they post something that's actually about Portnoy, those half a million become a full million.
Ummmm - didn't DT's Facebook page also promote JP's last solo album, which also had MP?  :omg:

I think they've learned to deal with and accept that.  ;)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #657 on: April 17, 2021, 12:39:10 PM »
Song ranking time!

1: Key to the Imagination
2: Beating the Odds
3: Hypersonic
4: The Passage of Time
5: Rhapsody in Blue (I only have it this low because it’s a cover but I absolutely love it)
6: Liquid Evolution
7: Shades of Hope
8: Chris & Kevin’s Amazing Odyssey
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online HOF

« Reply #658 on: April 17, 2021, 12:59:01 PM »
Song ranking time!

1: Key to the Imagination
2: Beating the Odds
3: Hypersonic
4: The Passage of Time
5: Rhapsody in Blue (I only have it this low because it’s a cover but I absolutely love it)
6: Liquid Evolution
7: Shades of Hope
8: Chris & Kevin’s Amazing Odyssey

I actually really like the Chris & Kevin track, and Liquid Evolution is amazing. Probably my favorite so far. Beating the Odds is really good too though. I’d say my early favorites are:

1. Liquid Evolution
2. Beating the Odds
3. Key to the Imagination

But I also think the jams from the second disc may top some of those.

Offline Hypnotherapist

« Reply #659 on: April 17, 2021, 01:29:06 PM »
A note line from Mike regarding the bonus disc:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #660 on: April 17, 2021, 01:33:19 PM »
https://shop.mikeportnoy.com/collections/dvds/products/mike-portnoy-lte-3-liquid-tension-experiment-3-drum-cam-dvd

Mike has listed his Drum Cam DVD up for sale! I ordered it as fast as I possibly could! Cannot wait to watch it!

-Marc.

Offline Hypnotherapist

« Reply #661 on: April 17, 2021, 01:34:46 PM »
A note line from Mike regarding the bonus disc
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YC4Y65yp3UKy5YVq7
(For some reason I can't post the photos directly here)  :-\

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #662 on: April 17, 2021, 01:40:32 PM »

Does this work?

-Marc.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #663 on: April 17, 2021, 01:52:42 PM »
I also really like Chris and Kevin's Amazing Odyssey, it reminds me a lot some drums/bass jams that Primus does live.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Hypnotherapist

Re: Novo LTE Coming Spring 2021!!
« Reply #664 on: April 17, 2021, 03:10:00 PM »

Does this work?

-Marc.

Yes, now it's worked. Do you know what happened?  ???