Poll

Which decade of studio albums would you take for the rest of your life?

70's (Rush through Hemispheres)
80's (Permanent Waves through Presto)

Voting closes: September 22, 2026, 07:08:25 PM

Author Topic: Rush for the rest of your life: 70's vs 80's  (Read 9011 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Rush for the rest of your life: 70's vs 80's
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2020, 10:11:49 AM »
I hesitated, then went with 70s.  It'd kill me to mis out on Red Barchetta, but while all the 80s albums are rock solid start to finish, my most preferred individual tracks are from the 70s - Xanadu, La Villa, 2112, Cygnus.

Either way, there's just too much left out.  How about "75-85" then "85-95"?   :)

That would be the biggest no-brainer in the history of anything.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2020, 12:07:11 PM »
I hesitated, then went with 70s.  It'd kill me to mis out on Red Barchetta, but while all the 80s albums are rock solid start to finish, my most preferred individual tracks are from the 70s - Xanadu, La Villa, 2112, Cygnus.

Either way, there's just too much left out.  How about "75-85" then "85-95"?   :)

I might be the weird one but I find myself listening to the albums of 85-95 more than the albums 75-85...

No?

Ok I'm the weird one
any rock can be made to roll

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2020, 12:18:50 PM »
Based on which I like more, I could go either way. Both eras have 4 albums that I really dig. I think I'd probably have to roll with the 80s, though. The reason is that even though I don't like Power Window through Preso at all, I'm also not particularly familiar with them. There's a great deal I could learn, and no doubt plenty of tiny bits that I'd adore if I were to really hunker down with those albums. At this point they might as well be new music to me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2020, 12:18:59 PM »
I can’t vote. I just can’t.

Online HOF

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2020, 12:24:24 PM »

I might be the weird one but I find myself listening to the albums of 85-95 more than the albums 75-85...

No?

Ok I'm the weird one

Hmmm, that’s a weird break in the discography. 1975-1985 gets you Fly By Night through Power Windows (10 albums), whereas 1985-1995 gets you Power Windows through Counterparts (only 5 albums).

A better question would be 1975-1983 (Terry Brown era, 8 albums) v. 1984-2012 (everything else, 10 albums).

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2020, 12:28:28 PM »
Based on which I like more, I could go either way. Both eras have 4 albums that I really dig. I think I'd probably have to roll with the 80s, though. The reason is that even though I don't like Power Window through Preso at all, I'm also not particularly familiar with them. There's a great deal I could learn, and no doubt plenty of tiny bits that I'd adore if I were to really hunker down with those albums. At this point they might as well be new music to me.

Give Presto a fire. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2020, 12:30:33 PM »

No?

Ok I'm the weird one

Hmmm, that’s a weird break in the discography. 1975-1985 gets you Fly By Night through Power Windows (10 albums), whereas 1985-1995 gets you Power Windows through Counterparts (only 5 albums).

A better question would be 1975-1983 (Terry Brown era, 8 albums) v. 1984-2012 (everything else, 10 albums).

Yeah, you're right; it was more of a statement than an actual question.  I think for me, and no disrespect to Fritz, but 75-83 is an easy one.  That takes zero thought, I'm giddy with joy I don't get GUP, and I'm only sparing about 90 seconds of lament that I don't get Presto. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2020, 12:31:17 PM »

Give Presto a fire.

Set Power Windows on fire.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2020, 12:43:53 PM »
It already is since it's a bright star of an album.  :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2020, 12:45:13 PM »
The one with A Farewell to Kings
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2020, 01:05:07 PM »
The only Rush music I have any interest in at all are the albums up to and including Moving Pictures.  They morphed into a very different group after that. 

But if I'm being totally honest, if you told me I couldn't listen to any Rush ever again it wouldn't bother me all that much since I honestly can't remember the last time I actually put on a Rush album.  Might have been to listen to the first few tracks of that Clockwork album they released a while back.  It just confirmed for me that modern Rush doesn't do anything for me.

All of that said, I have always admired Rush for sticking together for so long.  Very, very few bands stay together as long. 

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2020, 01:27:27 PM »

I'd give Power Windows another shot. I promise that all the bad things people say about it are completely wrong.  :)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2020, 01:34:24 PM »

I'd give Power Windows another shot. I promise that all the bad things "3" people say about it are completely wrong.  :)

FTFY :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline pg1067

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2020, 01:57:37 PM »

No?

Ok I'm the weird one

It doesn't make sense to count POW for both groups, so doing 75-84 and 85-94 would make more sense.  If you do it that way, while it's 9 albums versus 5 albums, it's almost the same amount of music.  FBN through GUP is 313:21, and POW through Counterparts is 289:07 (using album lengths as listed on Wikipedia).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online HOF

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2020, 02:00:36 PM »

No?

Ok I'm the weird one

It doesn't make sense to count POW for both groups, so doing 75-84 and 85-94 would make more sense.  If you do it that way, while it's 9 albums versus 5 albums, it's almost the same amount of music.  FBN through GUP is 313:21, and POW through Counterparts is 289:07 (using album lengths as listed on Wikipedia).

It makes sense to include Power Windows for both groups because it’s the best Rush album and essential listening no matter what. ;-)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2020, 03:09:39 PM »

It makes sense to include Power Windows for both groups because it’s the best Rush album and essential listening no matter what. ;-)

I like the way you think.  :tup :tup

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2020, 03:28:56 PM »
Power Windows is outstanding

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2020, 03:31:10 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2020, 03:37:06 PM »
No

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2020, 03:39:06 PM »
Tim is to Power Windows what a certain prominent poster years ago was to Scarred: he never misses an opportunity to shit all over it.

:lol :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2020, 03:43:05 PM »
One day Tim will be obsessed with Power Windows and Promised Land

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2020, 03:44:51 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2020, 04:02:00 PM »
Tim is to Power Windows what a certain prominent poster years ago was to Scarred: he never misses an opportunity to shit all over it.

:sadpanda:

I miss Blob.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2020, 04:36:33 PM »

It makes no sense to include Power Windows for both groups because it’s one of the most skippable Rush albums no matter what. ;-)

Agree.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2020, 04:46:54 PM »
The Power Windows debate is pretty interesting. People either love it or hate it. Interesting

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2020, 04:53:07 PM »

It makes no sense to include Power Windows for both groups because it’s one of the most skippable Rush albums no matter what. ;-)

Agree.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2020, 11:17:16 PM »

:sadpanda:

I miss Blob.

Oh man, I was wondering who he was talking about. I completely forgot about BVD.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2020, 05:32:04 AM »
I miss Blob too. Anyone knows what he's up to?

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2020, 05:56:16 AM »
I miss Blob too. Anyone knows what he's up to?

I think King follows him on Twitter.  I'm FB friends with him, but he never posts there.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2020, 06:10:55 AM »
Yeah, he is active on Twitter.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2020, 09:07:41 AM »
Note: my post was not intended to be a criticism of Blob, just so no one thinks I was trying to take a shot at him.  He just had a knack for ripping Scarred, just like Tim does for Power Windows.  And to be fair, like I used to for Kiss, but I decided that Kiss isn't even worth the keystrokes to type anymore (this sentence notwithstanding). :P :P

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2020, 09:43:45 AM »
Where did people find Permanent Waves released on January 1st, 1980?

everything I find says January 14th, 1980.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2020, 09:57:17 AM »

I saw January 1st the other day. I'll try and find it. It's still a 70's album. :P

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2020, 10:25:51 AM »

I saw January 1st the other day. I'll try and find it. It's still a 70's album. :P

I only found 1 site that showed that date, https://rush.fandom.com/wiki/Discography

Yet Wikipedia, Rateyourmusic, and many others sites, including their Official Site say January 14th
https://www.rush.com/albums/permanent-waves/

Permanent Waves is the band’s seventh studio album, released on January 14th, 1980.

I mean it's not such a big deal, other than when people cite anniversaries and for myself, I have made, and am remaking a list of Historical Album Release Date Calendars, I like to have things as accurate as possible. At this point, i am assuming it was released on January 14th, 1980.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2020, 10:43:56 AM »

Your parents had sex the year before you were born.  Do you celebrate the conception?  LOL