Author Topic: Crack The Sky  (Read 1536 times)

Offline ConstantMotion

• The Scientist
  • Shine, lake of fire
Crack The Sky
« on: July 21, 2010, 10:43:22 PM »
This might be a band that you've never heard of, but I'd highly recommend you guys checking them out.  :metal They completely rock.

The best way to describe their music is hard rock, with progressive elements thrown in. They're highly influenced by bands like The Beatles, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Queen, Rush, and etc.

Their 15th studio album, "Machine", is up for preorder and Glenn Workman (who's a band member - the band presses their own cds, isn't that cool?) said that he sent the cds out yesterday, so I'm really looking forward to hearing it.

They've had many lineup changes over the years, but have retained the same classic sound. Their first album was released in 1975.
Live dates

July 15th, 2010 - Blossom Music Center, Cleveland OH, USA
June 25, 2012 - Taft Theater, Cincinnati OH, USA

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Crack The Sky
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 11:42:27 PM »
Crack the Sky is epic. 'Safety in Numbers' was the first album I ever listened to on vinyl  :metal Nuclear Apathy =  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline ConstantMotion

• The Scientist
  • Shine, lake of fire
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 07:43:08 AM »
Crack the Sky is epic. 'Safety in Numbers' was the first album I ever listened to on vinyl  :metal Nuclear Apathy =  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

I agree, Safety In Numbers was a great album.

I think they had a period where they could do no wrong. 1975-1984 (Crack The Sky/Animal Notes/Safety In Numbers/Live Sky/White Music/Photoflamingo/World In Motion I/The End) was the first period. Then they had a dry period (1986-1997, Raw/From The Greenhouse/Dog City) where they put out lackluster albums.

Now they're back on track. Cut, Recher Theater Live, Ghost, Dogs From Japan, The Sale, Safety In Numbers Redux...all great albums. I never imagined they could re-record Safety In Numbers, with John Palumbo's singing, and make it sound so great. Almost makes up for him leaving the band in the first place.

Machine is one of my most anticipated cds of the year. If they're still on that 'roll', it's gonna be great!
Live dates

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 03:55:24 PM »
The Last Baron is a kick ass track. :neverusethis:

Offline ConstantMotion

• The Scientist
  • Shine, lake of fire
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 12:49:33 AM »
The Last Baron is a kick ass track. :neverusethis:

Yes, but obviously not by Crack The Sky. Do you mean Crack The Skye?
Live dates

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 09:14:14 AM »
I think this thread deserves to be revived.  I remember listening to Safety in Numbers back around '82 and I thought it was fantastic.  Just recently took another look at them and after listening to a couple other albums I'm really surprised they haven't garnered more interest here?  Definitely see their roots in 70's prog.  They remind me a lot of early Rush, Genesis and others.  If you haven't heard them, give them a whirl!