Poll

What Songs Would You Include on FII (Limit Yourself to 80 Minutes)

New Millennium (8:20)
You Not Me (4:58)
Peruvian Skies (6:43)
Hollow Years (5:53)
Burning My Soul (5:29)
Hell's Kitchen (4:16)
Lines in the Sand (12:05)
Take Away My Pain (6:03)
Just Let Me Breathe (5:28)
Anna Lee (5:51)
Trial of Tears (13:06)
Don't Look Past Me (6:23)
To Live Forever (4:36 or 4:55)
Raise the Knife (11:35)
Where Are You Now (7:26)
The Way It Used to Be (7:45)
Cover My Eyes (3:21)
Speak to Me (6:10)
Eve (5:10)

Author Topic: Reconfigure Falling Into Infinity  (Read 6164 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Reconfigure Falling Into Infinity
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2020, 01:31:43 PM »
FII is so, so good.

I feel bad for people that can't see that.

You "feel bad" for people whose opinions differ from your own?  What a strange outlook on things.  It's not that people "can't see that" it's "so, so good;" it's that we have a different opinion.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 12:02:02 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2020, 01:44:46 PM »
The poll has been up for a little more than 48 hours.

38 people have voted.  No song has gotten 38 votes.  The songs that got the most votes and which would fit onto an 80 minute CD are as follows:

Trial of Tears (13:06) -- 36 votes
Lines in the Sand (12:05) -- 35 votes
Hell's Kitchen (4:16) -- 34 votes
Raise the Knife (11:35) -- 31 votes
Peruvian Skies (6:43) -- 30 votes
Hollow Years (5:53) -- 29 votes
New Millennium (8:20) -- 25 votes
Take Away My Pain (6:03) -- 24 votes
Speak to Me (6:10) -- 20 votes
To Live Forever (4:55) -- 14 votes

Total run time -- 79:06

We'd be losing You Not Me, Burning My Soul, Just Let Me Breathe and Anna Lee in favor of Raise the Knife, Speak to Me and To Live Forever.  For my money, that wouldn't improve the album as a whole by much.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online HOF

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2020, 02:40:39 PM »

38 people have voted.  No song has gotten 38 votes.  The songs that got the most votes and which would fit onto an 80 minute CD are as follows:

We'd be losing You Not Me, Burning My Soul, Just Let Me Breathe and Anna Lee in favor of Raise the Knife, Speak to Me and To Live Forever.  For my money, that wouldn't improve the album as a whole by much.

The forum has spoken. I think we collectively axed the right tracks, and that’s a great track list IMO.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2020, 03:57:34 PM »
i'm baffled at Hell's Kitchen being the most voted song after the two big epics. It's not that I don't like it, but it's literally a mix of a random instrumental section that did not belong in the song where it was in (Burning My Soul... dislike what you want the song, but I don't think that taking it for a sudden musical detour that has nothing to do with the rest of the song would have made it better), and a (very nice) ending which was written with the sole purpouse of ending up nicely into Lines in the Sand's beginning, and owing to it in a certain sense.

I know that the origins of a song shouldn't be called into consideration, otherwise we should deny Paranoid its place in the hall of fame of heavy metal landmark songs because "it was just written as a filler", but I've always seen it as just an ok song, almost a throwaway one, and nothing more.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2020, 04:31:17 PM »

The forum has spoken. I think we collectively axed the right tracks, and that’s a great track list IMO.

Add YNM and Anna Lee and drop New Millennium and I'd have it higher in my DT album rankings.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2020, 05:52:28 AM »
i'm baffled at Hell's Kitchen being the most voted song after the two big epics. It's not that I don't like it, but it's literally a mix of a random instrumental section that did not belong in the song where it was in (Burning My Soul... dislike what you want the song, but I don't think that taking it for a sudden musical detour that has nothing to do with the rest of the song would have made it better), and a (very nice) ending which was written with the sole purpouse of ending up nicely into Lines in the Sand's beginning, and owing to it in a certain sense.

I know that the origins of a song shouldn't be called into consideration, otherwise we should deny Paranoid its place in the hall of fame of heavy metal landmark songs because "it was just written as a filler", but I've always seen it as just an ok song, almost a throwaway one, and nothing more.
For my money, it's one of my fave instrumental tracks, and DT don't have a song that compares to it either, which adds to its value. I love Eve as well, since it's really a perfect blend of JP's early influences with KM's early influences, but I can see how people might think it doesn't have much going on. HK is just super scenic.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online HOF

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2020, 08:19:55 AM »

For my money, it's one of my fave instrumental tracks, and DT don't have a song that compares to it either, which adds to its value. I love Eve as well, since it's really a perfect blend of JP's early influences with KM's early influences, but I can see how people might think it doesn't have much going on. HK is just super scenic.

Ditto. It’s my favorite DT instrumental and almost a perfectly constructed one. One of my favorite JP moments altogether. It was a brilliant idea (Kevin Shirley’s I believe) to rescue it from Burning My Soul and make it a stand alone piece.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2020, 01:47:38 PM »

Ditto. It’s my favorite DT instrumental and almost a perfectly constructed one. One of my favorite JP moments altogether. It was a brilliant idea (Kevin Shirley’s I believe) to rescue it from Burning My Soul and make it a stand alone piece.

It's a cool song.  For me, it's the shifting time signatures.  It doesn't compare to songs like TDOE or SOC, but it wasn't written as that type of song, so that's fine.  It's just that, with the dearth of great songs on FII, HK steps to the forefront.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2020, 11:46:58 AM »
01 - Trial of tears
02 - Hollow years
03 - You not me
04 - Take away my pain
05 - Just let me breathe
06 - New millennium
07 - Peruvian skies
08 - Burning my soul
09 - Hell's kitchen
10 - Lines in the sand
11 - Anna Lee
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Online geeeemo

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2020, 05:07:21 PM »
01 - Trial of tears
02 - Hollow years
03 - You not me
04 - Take away my pain
05 - Just let me breathe
06 - New millennium
07 - Peruvian skies
08 - Burning my soul
09 - Hell's kitchen
10 - Lines in the sand
11 - Anna Lee

This for me. I really dig Just let Me Breathe. I don't understand why no one much likes it. But that's ok.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2020, 07:19:33 PM »
01 - Trial of tears
02 - Hollow years
03 - You not me
04 - Take away my pain
05 - Just let me breathe
06 - New millennium
07 - Peruvian skies
08 - Burning my soul
09 - Hell's kitchen
10 - Lines in the sand
11 - Anna Lee

This for me. I really dig Just let Me Breathe. I don't understand why no one much likes it. But that's ok.

I picked it too, just close your mind... has been my favorite DT lyric since FII was released. Song is different for though so I can see why many look past it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2020, 02:37:51 PM »
Here's my final list:
New Millenium
Peruvian Skies
Hell's Kitchen
Lines in the Sand
Take Away My Pain
Just Let Me Breathe
Trial of Tears
Raise the Knife
Cover My Eyes
Speak To Me

My rationale:
NM, PS, LITS, TAMP, and TOT were going to make the cut no matter what.  Best songs on the album, and some of the best in the DT catalog.  JLMB, AL, and HK were "maybe" tracks.  As I've said, I don't really like HK at all as a standalone song.  But it works really well as an intro to LITS, so I was willing to consider it, and it made the cut in that context.  I probably like Ana Lee the most of those three songs.  On a different day, I would have chosen it over JLMB.

YNM and Hollow Years would never make it onto any DT album I would be creating.  Ever.  BMS almost fits into that category as well, except for the fact that I stand by a comment I have made before that, although I don't really like it, it strikes me as a song that would probably be pretty cool live. 

Of the additional songs, I didn't consider To Live Forever or Eve because they weren't from the FII sessions (and Eve is just horrible anyway).  RTK and Speak were going to make it no matter what.  Cover My Eyes is the next in line, and it made it over Anna Lee just because, at 3:21, it would fit and AL wouldn't. 

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2020, 04:08:31 PM »

After three more days, we have 11 more people voting and a change to our reconfigured FII.

Both Peruvian Skies (40) and Hollow Years (38) now have more votes than Raise the Knife (37), but that doesn't change anything.

However, three songs have now passed To Live Forever, which was the last song in.  Anna Lee now has 22 votes, Cover My Eyes has 19 votes, and TWIUTB has 18 votes, while TLF picked up only two more votes and now has 16.  Replacing TLF with Anna Lee puts our run time at 80:02, but I'm going to say close enough.  We can easily cut a couple seconds from the intro to Trial of Tears.

Now if we could just get more votes that would allow for New Millennium to be excluded....   :biggrin:

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2020, 09:50:05 AM »
01 - Trial of tears
02 - Hollow years
03 - You not me
04 - Take away my pain
05 - Just let me breathe
06 - New millennium
07 - Peruvian skies
08 - Burning my soul
09 - Hell's kitchen
10 - Lines in the sand
11 - Anna Lee

Same :)
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2020, 09:52:45 AM »

After three more days, we have 11 more people voting and a change to our reconfigured FII.

Both Peruvian Skies (40) and Hollow Years (38) now have more votes than Raise the Knife (37), but that doesn't change anything.

However, three songs have now passed To Live Forever, which was the last song in.  Anna Lee now has 22 votes, Cover My Eyes has 19 votes, and TWIUTB has 18 votes, while TLF picked up only two more votes and now has 16.  Replacing TLF with Anna Lee puts our run time at 80:02, but I'm going to say close enough.  We can easily cut a couple seconds from the intro to Trial of Tears.

Now if we could just get more votes that would allow for New Millennium to be excluded....   :biggrin:

I think there should be an asterisk by To Live Forever.  That's a top ten DT song for me, and I LOVE it. I excluded it because it wasn't from the FII sessions.  I think there are one or two others doing the same thing.  I know, I know, you didn't exclude it, but I'm just saying, the lack of votes for it may involve more than just "it's not good enough". 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2020, 10:46:44 AM »
I think there should be an asterisk by To Live Forever.  That's a top ten DT song for me, and I LOVE it. I excluded it because it wasn't from the FII sessions.  I think there are one or two others doing the same thing.  I know, I know, you didn't exclude it, but I'm just saying, the lack of votes for it may involve more than just "it's not good enough".

It's gotten plenty of votes and, for a while, had enough votes to make this hypothetical reconfigured album.  Don't Look Past Me and Eve are also not from the FII sessions, and folks are free to exclude them from their votes in this thread for that reason or any other, including not liking Kevin Moore or not liking songs with less than four letters in the name.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2020, 12:11:39 PM »

It's gotten plenty of votes and, for a while, had enough votes to make this hypothetical reconfigured album.  Don't Look Past Me and Eve are also not from the FII sessions, and folks are free to exclude them from their votes in this thread for that reason or any other, including not liking Kevin Moore or not liking songs with less than four letters in the name.

Fair enough.  Not arguing with you.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2020, 01:58:33 PM »
I would just replace Anna Lee with Speak To Me. I’d be cool with that.

I’ve always liked FII just the way it is. However, I thought more about this, and when I had some time, I put this together. It’s right under 80 mins.

Raise the Knife 11:40
You or Me 6:26
Peruvian Skies 6:44
Hollow Years 5:54
Cover My Eyes 3:24
Lines in the Sand 12:06
Take Away My Pain(demo version) 6:52
Just Let Me Breathe 5:29
Speak to Me 6:11
Trial of Tears 13:06

Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2020, 09:49:27 AM »
A few of the options are mystifying, since they aren't from that time period, but here is my version, in no particular order.

New Millenium
Peruvian Skies
Hollow Years
Hell's Kitchen
Lines in the Sand
Trial of Tears
Raise the Knife
The Way it Used to Be
Cover my Eyes
Speak to Me

79:14
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2020, 11:37:34 AM »
Add me to the list of those who excluded TLF, DLPM and Eve because they weren't part of the FII sessions. I went with:

Raise the Knife
The Way It Used to Be
Peruvian Skies
Hollow Years
Burning My Soul (demo version)
Lines in the Sand (demo version)
Just Let Me Breathe
Speak to Me
Trial of Tears

79:30
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2020, 11:51:15 AM »
FII is so, so good.

I feel bad for people that can't see that.

Fortunately I can “hear” that half the songs suck.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2020, 10:06:24 PM »
This is a really cool thread. Not sure how I missed it.

Anyway, here are my picks along with my preferred track order.

1. Raise the Knife (I think this is the perfect way to start the album out on a high note with this barnstormer)
2. Hells Kitchen (can't leave one of my favorite instrumental tracks off the album)
3. Lines In the Sand (this song absolutely has to follow Hells Kitchen)
4. The Way It Used to Be (I love this song and it's upbeat tempo, good change of pace after Lines in the Sand)
5. Hollow Years (this would be a modified version based on the Budokan version, with an extended acoustic intro and extended electric guitar solo, let's assume it clocks in at 9 minutes)
6. Take Away My Pain (Just a great song)
7. Anna Lee (Anally)
8. Cover My Eyes (a short song, but with great vocal melodies)
9. Eve (I think this is the perfect intro instrumental to Trial of Tears, the same way Hells Kitchen is the perfect intro to Lines in the Sand)
10. Trial of Tears (no version of FII is complete without this song....I will die on this hill!)

This clocks in at a bit over 78 minutes. I'm undecided if I would switch around tracks 4 and 5.....

Now I'm going to go take the these tracks and mix/edit them so they sound coherent in this ordering...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2020, 12:55:20 PM »
That's an interesting track listing.  That would probably change FII on my overall ranking from being in the bottom 3 to being at the very bottom and something I would never listen to.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2020, 01:02:34 PM »
That's an interesting track listing.  That would probably change FII on my overall ranking from being in the bottom 3 to being at the very bottom and something I would never listen to.

I feel like this is a huge accomplishment! :lol

As Chad always likes to say, Tastes!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2021, 09:05:06 AM »
The results have been skewed due to people voting for songs that shouldn't have been in the poll at all.  I'm afraid you'll have to start all over again. :p
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online nick_z

« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2021, 06:36:18 PM »
I know this poll is sort of closed, but 1) I have a soft spot for FII and 2) I recognize it could have been better...so I hope you'll forgive me putting in my two cents  ;)

I'm not considering Don't Look Past Me, To Live Forever and Eve since, as it's been observed, they weren't really part of these sessions (plus I guess To Live Forever and Eve had an "official" release before FII via singles...)

Here's my "re-imagined" FII tracklist:

1. New Millennium (always liked this song...lots of cool ideas, and works great as an opener)
2. Peruvian Skies (minor DT classic, I think)
3. Raise the Knife (traces of pre-FII DT with a new, relatively more stripped-down sound. Works great, imo)
4. Hell's Kitchen (so thankful it was "extracted" from Burning My Soul...great instrumental...)
5. Lines in the Sand (...and perfect lead-in for this - amazing - song. One of my absolute favorites)
6. Take Away My Pain (my favorite ballad of the three in the actual album)
7. The Way It Used to Be (love JP's playing on this one)
8. Speak to Me (Really cool The Cure-U2 mix in here)
9. Trial of Tears (another DT classic)

76:13 running time

Looking at this, it's 6 out of the 11 in the actual tracklist. I was debating the inclusion of Just Let Me Breathe, which I enjoy (at least musically) and would have given the album a little more of a "kick". Unfortunately it just pushes the run-time a little over 80 minutes, and I don't think I'd take it over any of the 9 above. Overall, I would buy this  ;D

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2021, 07:22:40 PM »
Replace: Take Away My Pain, Just Let Me Breathe, Anna Lee
With: Raise The Knife, The Way It Used To Be
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2021, 10:33:33 PM »
New Millennium
The Way It Used to Be
Peruvian Skies
Hollow Years
Hell's Kitchen
Lines in the Sand
Take Away My Pain (demo version)
Just Let Me Breathe
Speak to Me
Trial of Tears

Excluding Raise the Knife is painful. But, with the time constraint, I'm not really sure where it goes:

- Could swap out New Millennium, but that's a perfect opening track
- Could swap The Way It Used to Be (Ithink), but that song is a great bridge between NM and HY
- Could add between HY and HK, but then JLMB and STM have to be swapped for CME, which makes the post LITS part of the album unbalanced

Really this should have just been a double album
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again