Poll

Which song of these would you like DT to cover?

Genesis - Supper's Ready
12 (20.7%)
Pink Floyd - Shine on You Crazy Diamond
16 (27.6%)
King Crimson - Epitaph
10 (17.2%)
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
8 (13.8%)
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
12 (20.7%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Which song would you like DT to cover?  (Read 7518 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: Which song would you like DT to cover?
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2019, 11:02:01 AM »
Also, and I'm hoping Scotty chimes in, wasn't RME mooted, and in a rare instance, shot down by James?  Do we know why? "Lyrics" are the obvious answer, but there's nothing there that is truly controversial, or at least more controversial than some of the other things that they've performed in the past. 
Yes, it was RME that MP proposed and JL didn't want to do it. No clue as to why. Perhaps it's just a song that for whatever reason, JL doesn't like or maybe even hates. Not any different from anyone else (one man's trash is another man's treasure).

Seriously though I am in the minority and don't really like when bands do covers, UNLESS they really make it there own.
This is the one thing I didn't like about DT's covers - they almost always were carbon copies of the original. And by that, I'm not saying they have to change everything around - but it should sound like the band doing the song, not them doing a cover. A perfect example of this is VH doing You Really Got Me - aside from the solo, the song stays pretty close to the original, but if you were to play the song for someone who didn't know it was a cover, they probably wouldn't figure it out, because it sounds like VH.

The one cover DT did that really felt like they made it their own more than any other was their version of Rush's The Necromancer. OTOH, their cover of Pink Floyd's Echoes sounds like DT doing a cover of PF - especially JL's muted vocals imitating Gilmour's.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2019, 12:49:25 PM »
Also, and I'm hoping Scotty chimes in, wasn't RME mooted, and in a rare instance, shot down by James?  Do we know why? "Lyrics" are the obvious answer, but there's nothing there that is truly controversial, or at least more controversial than some of the other things that they've performed in the past. 
Yes, it was RME that MP proposed and JL didn't want to do it. No clue as to why. Perhaps it's just a song that for whatever reason, JL doesn't like or maybe even hates. Not any different from anyone else (one man's trash is another man's treasure).

Seriously though I am in the minority and don't really like when bands do covers, UNLESS they really make it there own.
This is the one thing I didn't like about DT's covers - they almost always were carbon copies of the original. And by that, I'm not saying they have to change everything around - but it should sound like the band doing the song, not them doing a cover. A perfect example of this is VH doing You Really Got Me - aside from the solo, the song stays pretty close to the original, but if you were to play the song for someone who didn't know it was a cover, they probably wouldn't figure it out, because it sounds like VH.

The one cover DT did that really felt like they made it their own more than any other was their version of Rush's The Necromancer. OTOH, their cover of Pink Floyd's Echoes sounds like DT doing a cover of PF - especially JL's muted vocals imitating Gilmour's.

Yes, exactly they are carbon copies and add nothing new. I think the one band where I like covers that comes to mind is Living Colour. Even on their 1st album the song Memories Can't Wait sounds nothing like The Talking Heads version.

Offline cosmicwxdude

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2019, 10:58:11 AM »
That's easy for me - Jesus Christ Superstar.  :metal

My favorite since I first heard the lp and saw the movie in the early '70s. Going to a currently touring production in January!

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2019, 08:43:10 AM »
That's easy for me - Jesus Christ Superstar.  :metal

My favorite since I first heard the lp and saw the movie in the early '70s. Going to a currently touring production in January!

Where you able to catch the John Legend version broadcast in 2018? I couldn't help but wonder what DT would sound like as the backing band. I also, think that JLB would be bad ass in the lead role.

Offline Metaldude

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2021, 06:37:06 AM »
I was bored and I decided to make this poll including five of my favourites songs of all time. But aside of this, what is your song that you would like DT to cover, and by cover I don't mean live but recorded like they did with the Rush cover in 2017.
 :metal
Apologies for dragging up an old thread but didn't want to start a whole new one.
I have only heard one cover by DT but it is of possibly my all time favourite song - Pink Floyd's Time.
They did a masterful job worthy of the original.
If yiu haven't heard it yet, do yourself a favour!
JP's guitar is impeccable.

Offline Metaldude

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2021, 06:47:14 AM »
But aside of this, what is your song that you would like DT to cover
I've got a laundry list of songs I'd love to see them do, but none of the ones you've listed in the poll are included.

I agree, but their cover of Xanadu was great IMHO
It's good, but it's too close to the original. I'd have preferred them to Dream Theater-ize it more. In fact, that's the only issue I have with DT doing covers - typically they're too close to the originals. For me, the perfect example of them injecting enough of their own style into a cover was when they did Rush's Necromancer.
Agree with the notion they try to be as close to the original as possible.
It's almost like they want to compare themselves to the original artist?
Yeah so mix it up a little.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2021, 07:05:09 AM »
I have only heard one cover by DT but it is of possibly my all time favourite song - Pink Floyd's Time.

In case you don't know, DT covered the entirety of Dark Side of the Moon and released it as an official bootleg. It's really rather good.

(Also, whatever happened to bill1971 - anyone know?)
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Metaldude

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2021, 07:14:07 AM »

In case you don't know, DT covered the entirety of Dark Side of the Moon and released it as an official bootleg. It's really rather good.

I am pretty new to DT (have only been listening to them for about a year!) so didn't know.
Will def check it out!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2021, 10:08:56 AM »
Status Seeker
The Killing Hand
Light Fuse and Get Away
Erotomania
You Not Me
Take Away My Pain

Oh..wait a minute..
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2021, 03:32:02 PM »
wait a minute..

"Come on..."

I'd like to see anything anything from Opeth's Damnation.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2021, 07:06:21 AM »

I am pretty new to DT (have only been listening to them for about a year!) so didn't know.
Will def check it out!

There is a CD and a DVD version; if memory serves, the DVD has a bonus of other Floyd tracks done over the years.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2021, 07:08:28 AM »
But aside of this, what is your song that you would like DT to cover
I've got a laundry list of songs I'd love to see them do, but none of the ones you've listed in the poll are included.

I agree, but their cover of Xanadu was great IMHO
It's good, but it's too close to the original. I'd have preferred them to Dream Theater-ize it more. In fact, that's the only issue I have with DT doing covers - typically they're too close to the originals. For me, the perfect example of them injecting enough of their own style into a cover was when they did Rush's Necromancer.
Agree with the notion they try to be as close to the original as possible.
It's almost like they want to compare themselves to the original artist?
Yeah so mix it up a little.

I'll try to find the interview, but Petrucci commented specifically on this point around the time of that Rush cover.  If I remember, he basically said that he wanted to follow the notes and structure and lyrics of the original as close as possible, and the "DT-ize" would be in the fact that they wouldn't try to duplicate all the sounds.  They would basically play the song through their DT rig.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2021, 07:21:25 AM »
I'm all for any Floyd covers they'd want to perform... Saucer full of Floyd was an awesome album!

agree totally. But The Final Cut would be even more awesome.

Althought, I would realy love hearing they cover both the Ouverture as The world we just to know, from The Ultimate Universe. Looking forward Petrucci nailing Stolts stunning solo's.

Last but not least, Metallica's Unforgiven trilogy would have my vote.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 08:00:14 AM by Wim Kruithof »
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2021, 06:14:19 PM »
None. From these bands I'd prefer:

Pink Floyd: sheep
Genesis: mama
King Crimson: sleepless
Queen: innuendo
Led Zeppelin: Achilles last stand

From other bands I'd found more interesting to hear:

Rainbow: a light in the black
Deep Purple: a gypsy's kiss
Kiss:  the oath
Kansas: under the knife
The Beatles: old brown shoe
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2021, 05:49:56 PM »
Not super interested in seeing live covers at this point. They have more songs than they'll ever be able to play live. No need to take up valuable space.

The covers CD with BCSL was cool though. Their had their own take on the songs that was actually interesting.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2021, 08:21:05 PM »
Not super interested in seeing live covers at this point. They have more songs than they'll ever be able to play live. No need to take up valuable space.

The covers CD with BCSL was cool though. Their had their own take on the songs that was actually interesting.

I wouldn't mind if they decided to do another covers album again, bonus disc or it's own release. It would be neat to hear what they would cover, if all the members chose a song.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online geeeemo

« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2021, 10:26:44 PM »
Stairway to Heaven came on today and I was about to skip as I have heard it a gazillion times. But I noticed it was live, so I wanted to hear how it sounded. All through the song, I just kept thinking, "Wow! DT could make this sound so rich and full. I want to hear that."
So that's my vote.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2021, 04:00:50 AM »
She by Green Day ;D  just because it's so simple. It'd be funny.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2021, 09:05:48 AM »
The only kinds of things I would be interested in seeing DT cover at this point would be something completely out of their box, like maybe "My Oh My" by Punch Brothers.

Seeing them cover a rock/prog/metal song would be kind of boring, because they would faithfully reproduce it like they have every other cover song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DT1138

« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2021, 05:54:19 PM »
I was hoping for Slayer's "Angel of Death", but that's just me  ;D ;D ;D ;D
My first thought was what, no Reign in Blood?   :lol :lol :lol

But of the poll list, I'd like to see them try Bohemian Rhapsody.  Not sure how they would pull it off though.