Author Topic: Taylor Swift  (Read 73970 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Taylor Swift
« Reply #1190 on: November 05, 2023, 05:18:51 PM »
So my opinion of the FTV tracks have changed. They're actually pretty good, although my wife is seriously overplaying them to the point that I might eventually hate them. Say Don't Go and Now That We Don't Talk are the best of the bunch. But once they're over, the worst song in the universe comes on and I make her change it. Seriously, What the fuck?!  And she somehow made it worse!

I can seriously go a year without hearing a Taylor Swift song or even hearing her damn name. Congrats, you're a billionaire. Go away for a while.

EDIT: Slut! Is still pretty bland.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 05:25:52 PM by Zook »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1191 on: November 06, 2023, 06:21:12 AM »
The tour has 13 more months, off and on, to go, so good luck in not hearing her name for a year (or a day). :P :lol

I like the 1989 Vault tracks quite a bit collectively, but Speak Now TV and Red TV were both far better.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1192 on: November 06, 2023, 07:10:48 AM »
I was going down a rabbit hole with the band members and the bassist, Amos Heller, apparently has been with her the longest since 2007. He recently did a pretty good cover of Metallica's Blackened on his channel
https://youtu.be/-mgeYaQQQ8k?si=kLnn__s5qV11PGOG

In one comment on the video someone said they do video production for different bands on tour with DT being one of them, Amos replied that he "loves DT!"

That's pretty cool.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1193 on: November 06, 2023, 07:54:44 AM »
The tour has 13 more months, off and on, to go, so good luck in not hearing her name for a year (or a day). :P :lol

I like the 1989 Vault tracks quite a bit collectively, but Speak Now TV and Red TV were both far better.

My store plays multiple songs from her throughout the day. I guess I should just be thankful they stopped playing Adele.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1194 on: November 06, 2023, 09:15:51 AM »
I was going down a rabbit hole with the band members and the bassist, Amos Heller, apparently has been with her the longest since 2007. He recently did a pretty good cover of Metallica's Blackened on his channel
https://youtu.be/-mgeYaQQQ8k?si=kLnn__s5qV11PGOG

In one comment on the video someone said they do video production for different bands on tour with DT being one of them, Amos replied that he "loves DT!"

That's pretty cool.

I had seen the thing about Metallica, but that's cool about DT as well!  He definitely is an excellent bass player.

My store plays multiple songs from her throughout the day. I guess I should just be thankful they stopped playing Adele.

Yeah, I can only take so much of Adele's crooning.  Great voice, but her knack for oversinging makes her mostly unlistenable to me at this point.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1195 on: November 06, 2023, 11:04:35 AM »
I've said some controversial things about Swift on this board so I want to clarify something: that little countrified girl with the acoustic guitar first presenting herself to the world, that was REAL talent. 100%. A genuine artist. I would love to have seen how far she could have gone still dressing conservatively and sticking to her roots.

But she's not that anymore; like with every other American artist you get the inevitable dallying with hip-hop and 300 backup dancers and teams of producers writing club hits for her and the whole self-fulfilling axiom of "you have to love her because she's the most amazing thing ever". It's absolutely inevitable in today's music scene that you have to morph into what's gonna keep your popularity at the top but too bad today's generation of teenage girls can't have the original back.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1196 on: November 06, 2023, 11:35:20 AM »
I've said some controversial things about Swift on this board so I want to clarify something: that little countrified girl with the acoustic guitar first presenting herself to the world, that was REAL talent. 100%. A genuine artist. I would love to have seen how far she could have gone still dressing conservatively and sticking to her roots.

But she's not that anymore; like with every other American artist you get the inevitable dallying with hip-hop and 300 backup dancers and teams of producers writing club hits for her and the whole self-fulfilling axiom of "you have to love her because she's the most amazing thing ever". It's absolutely inevitable in today's music scene that you have to morph into what's gonna keep your popularity at the top but too bad today's generation of teenage girls can't have the original back.

Some of that isn't accurate, though. She's avoided the "300 backup dancers and teams of producers writing club hits for her".   I like her because her music gives me joy, and more importantly, it gives the young woman who is my daughter great joy as well.   

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1197 on: November 06, 2023, 11:39:51 AM »

I'm in the wrong thread, but I don't view this change as an improvement.   ;D

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1198 on: November 06, 2023, 12:02:48 PM »
she does have a lot of backup dancers but I don’t really see what’s wrong with that, it’s just a different kind of show and of course not everyone has to like it.   Working with producers shouldn’t be seen as any sort of stigma anymore but again not everyone has to like it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1199 on: November 06, 2023, 12:12:29 PM »
Ah yes, the "a team of producers writes her songs for her" false narrative.  Whenever someone spits that out, it becomes clear that they have no idea what they are talking about.

But that's the MO of people online who just want to hate, hate, hate.  They spit out something totally wrong like that, and when informed that they are incorrect and/or the actual facts, they resort to the "OMG, YOU SWIFTIES ARE SO DEFENSIVE!" silliness.  It's dishonest posting.

Edit: sorry if this reply seems harsh, but reading that kind of false nonsense from people who are uninformed gets old.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 12:29:40 PM by KevShmev »

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1200 on: November 06, 2023, 12:17:34 PM »
BTW how do you make threads you've previously posted in stop showing up in the "Show new replies to your posts." link? that's primarily how i have used this site

was just wondering if anyone had an answer to this, lol
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1201 on: November 06, 2023, 12:32:42 PM »
BTW, for those of us on the fence, by chance does anyone want to try and make a Spotify playlist of maybe a dozen representative songs that demonstrate Taylor's various sounds?  I for one would certainly check it out. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1202 on: November 06, 2023, 12:38:40 PM »
BTW, for those of us on the fence, by chance does anyone want to try and make a Spotify playlist of maybe a dozen representative songs that demonstrate Taylor's various sounds?  I for one would certainly check it out.

I don't do Spotify, but as it did the trick for me, I would recommend just listening to all of Folklore and/or Evermore (her two 2020 albums).  Folklore is the higher regarded album by all accounts, but I think slightly prefer Evermore.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1203 on: November 06, 2023, 12:43:25 PM »
I heard Folklore once when it came out and it was ok, but there weren't any standout tracks and I never felt compelled to return to it.  I also own Fearless and liked "Love Story" and "Breathe", but the rest was rather underwhelming. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1204 on: November 06, 2023, 12:47:39 PM »
I heard Folklore once when it came out and it was ok, but there weren't any standout tracks and I never felt compelled to return to it.  I also own Fearless and liked "Love Story" and "Breathe", but the rest was rather underwhelming.

Gotcha.

If you like 80-sounding pop, go for 1989 (the original version). That record has more hooks than your average fisherman could ever hope to dream about.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1205 on: November 06, 2023, 01:01:29 PM »
I do generally like 80s-ish pop, though my success with the more mainstream throwbacks to it like some of Carly Rae Jepsen's albums have been kind of disappointing.  I may give it a try anyway though. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1206 on: November 06, 2023, 02:41:59 PM »
I'm a big fan of 1989, myself.   

I think that's the interesting thing about her and why the criticisms don't really hold water.   She DOESN'T have a team of writers that she brings in each album, and yet, there is STILL mad variety in her work. Sure, she has collaborators, but then again, so does John Petrucci.  To me, anyway, the s/t and Red and 1989 and Lover and evermore don't sound anything alike and yet they are all the same artist. THAT'S her mastery, even if you or I don't like every single song. 

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1207 on: November 06, 2023, 03:34:49 PM »
I do generally like 80s-ish pop, though my success with the more mainstream throwbacks to it like some of Carly Rae Jepsen's albums have been kind of disappointing.  I may give it a try anyway though.

You must’ve heard her song “Style”, I assume? If not, give it a try, I can see you enjoying that one

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1208 on: November 06, 2023, 04:28:15 PM »

You must’ve heard her song “Style”, I assume? If not, give it a try, I can see you enjoying that one

How do you know my taste so well?   :lol   Yes, I think I had heard that one before somewhere, and it's the best one on the album.  "Wildest Dreams" is probably the second best.

But overall, I'm continuing to suspect she might not be an artist I'm going to love on an entire album basis.  I just listened to 1989, and the rest of the album was mildly pleasant, but not particularly engrossing, unfortunately, just like Jepsen.  I think the music I like vaguely in this realm is generally some combination of more melancholy, darker, artsier, lusher/more ethereal, and/or has stronger vocals.  It's a bit too "happy" and middle of the road for me. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 04:33:36 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1209 on: November 06, 2023, 04:33:39 PM »
So far I've listened through 1989, Fearless, Evermore, and Folklore. All 4 very different obviously. Folklore is by far the weakest. Fearless and Evermore are both solid. 1989 is ok, just not by style.

The interesting thing to me is that she's nothing special vocally which means her biggest talent is the ability to write a catchy tune. I'd love to hear Kelly Clarkson belt out some of these songs.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1210 on: November 06, 2023, 04:38:35 PM »
The interesting thing to me is that she's nothing special vocally which means her biggest talent is the ability to write a catchy tune. I'd love to hear Kelly Clarkson belt out some of these songs.

Exactly.  Or Adele.   :D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1211 on: November 06, 2023, 04:58:31 PM »
Songwriting is her best musical ability, yes, but do not sleep on her voice.  Just like one doesn't need to able to shred to be a good guitar player, one doesn't have to belt it out like Adele or have crazy good range to be a good singer.  I love Taylor's natural voice, and few singers have the ability to squeeze nuances out of every little melody like she does.  Her voice when I heard the songs I taste tested from 2020 was what drew me in almost immediately. I was like, "Damn, I love her voice."  That is why I kept listening.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1212 on: November 06, 2023, 05:04:32 PM »
I think this performance of wildest dreams is better than the studio version.

https://youtu.be/H0XyNfZj5Xs?si=r1aWYCPaPuEFJ6kX

She kinda goes all Adele like in the end, she also seems to be singing the song in a higher key? Not sure what the right word is. Or louder I guess.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1213 on: November 06, 2023, 05:16:43 PM »
I think this performance of wildest dreams is better than the studio version.

https://youtu.be/H0XyNfZj5Xs?si=r1aWYCPaPuEFJ6kX

That is technically a mashup of Enchanted and Wildest Dreams :P, but, yes, that is a great version!  I really love how in that arrangement, she eventually lets her backup singers take over the main line of the chorus for a bit while she scats and sings the other lead parts of the chorus, but at the very end, when she gets up from the piano, she takes over the main line again.  That sounds epic when she does that. 

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1214 on: November 06, 2023, 05:58:12 PM »

How do you know my taste so well?   :lol   Yes, I think I had heard that one before somewhere, and it's the best one on the album.  "Wildest Dreams" is probably the second best.

But overall, I'm continuing to suspect she might not be an artist I'm going to love on an entire album basis.  I just listened to 1989, and the rest of the album was mildly pleasant, but not particularly engrossing, unfortunately, just like Jepsen.  I think the music I like vaguely in this realm is generally some combination of more melancholy, darker, artsier, lusher/more ethereal, and/or has stronger vocals.  It's a bit too "happy" and middle of the road for me.

:lol

Well, I have a couple more songs to recommend, from other albums:

- State of Grace  (the opener from Red - this is actually one of my favorite songs of hers. And I prefer the original to the re-recorded)
- The Archer (from Lover)
- Cornelia Street (from Lover)

All quite different stylistically, but really good imo.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #1215 on: November 06, 2023, 07:34:34 PM »
- State of Grace  (the opener from Red - this is actually one of my favorite songs of hers. And I prefer the original to the re-recorded)

I'm gonna second this. I've heard some Swift songs over the years that I thought were decent but when I heard State of Grace, that actually made me want to make the deep dive into her discography. It's one of the most perfect pop-rock songs I've ever heard.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1216 on: November 06, 2023, 07:55:46 PM »

:lol

Well, I have a couple more songs to recommend, from other albums:

- The Archer (from Lover)
- Cornelia Street (from Lover)

All quite different stylistically, but really good imo.

obligatory comment that I think the live acoustic Cornelia Street is way better than the album version. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1217 on: November 07, 2023, 06:06:29 AM »
I totally agree about the acoustic Cornelia Street (it slays the studio version), and I emphatically agree about State of Grace (one of her very best for sure). 

Honestly, Red has so much variety and is such a colorful record that anyone looking to get into her cannot go wrong with tackling it.  The original version of course.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1218 on: November 07, 2023, 06:52:39 AM »
obligatory comment that I think the live acoustic Cornelia Street is way better than the album version.

I totally agree about the acoustic Cornelia Street (it slays the studio version), and I emphatically agree about State of Grace (one of her very best for sure). 

I will humbly admit I do not know this version  :) Has it been released somewhere? Or should I look for live performances on YT?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1219 on: November 07, 2023, 07:09:46 AM »

I will humbly admit I do not know this version  :) Has it been released somewhere? Or should I look for live performances on YT?

This is the one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgt1d3eAm7A

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1220 on: November 07, 2023, 07:41:37 AM »

This is the one:

I’m surely repeating myself in this thread but the remarkable thing is this was the RELEASE party for Lover in Paris, France.  So the people screaming the lyrics  1. english isn’t their first language and 2. the album had barely just come out.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1221 on: November 07, 2023, 07:51:22 AM »

This is the one:

Wow, yes, this is real nice

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1222 on: November 07, 2023, 07:55:28 AM »

This is the one:

Wow, yes, this is real nice

It’s also available as a single on apple music, spotify etc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1223 on: November 07, 2023, 08:32:49 AM »
Glad you dug that, nick_z!  :tup :tup

This stripped down version of Daylight from the same show also runs laps around the studio version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADVaZN3qpHQ

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1224 on: November 07, 2023, 12:06:17 PM »
It’s also available as a single on apple music, spotify etc.

Yep, saw it now...

Glad you dug that, nick_z!  :tup :tup

This stripped down version of Daylight from the same show also runs laps around the studio version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADVaZN3qpHQ

Good stuff!! I guess there's no complete concert release for this?