Author Topic: Taylor Swift  (Read 61215 times)

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
Re: Taylor Swift
« Reply #875 on: March 18, 2023, 09:27:51 AM »
Not a fan, but wow. 44 songs  :eek
Less than 45, but wow. That’s a lot.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #876 on: March 18, 2023, 09:29:38 AM »
I just watched an audience video of last night’s show, every song heavily edited and cut down and even that was an hour and 20 minutes

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #877 on: March 18, 2023, 09:43:25 AM »
Videos are on YouTube obviously, the visuals are stunning. I know I sound like a broken record but if she would do only the Folklore / Evermore part, I'd totally go. Heck, I'd probably sit through the whole three hours and just space out during the songs I don't like to just enjoy the artistic side of the show  :D

I already found moments of the entire stadium singing along to "And you were tossing me the car keys....." and "She would have made such a lovely bride", not these exact parts but what comes immediately after  ;D

You and me both.  A bunch of my favorites from those records weren't played, yet she still played tons of great ones from both.

That is a bummer, though, that Mirrorball is getting the "one show and done" treatment, as that was played in the surprise song spot that she said will be completely different at every show on the tour. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #878 on: March 18, 2023, 09:43:40 AM »
Is she trying to burn herself out after the third show?

Why would she burn out?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #879 on: March 18, 2023, 09:46:53 AM »
Not a fan, but wow. 44 songs  :eek
Less than 45, but wow. That’s a lot.

To be fair, a few of them looked to be slightly shortened versions.  Like, she did The Man and You Need to Calm Down as a single performance with no stops where all of The Man was played and then it transitioned to the start of the second verse of You Need to Calm Down and then that whole song was played till the end from that point. That helps keep the show moving and can knock out a minute here and minute there, in order to be able to play more songs.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #880 on: March 18, 2023, 09:57:31 AM »
I think Blank Space is alright. That’s as deep as I go with T Swizzle.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #881 on: March 18, 2023, 10:54:49 AM »

Why would she burn out?

Because 44 songs is a lot of songs to sing every night for a full tour.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #882 on: March 18, 2023, 12:50:23 PM »
In other news, today I finally realized what Kanye West did to her at a Grammy awards defending Beyonce  :lol

I mean, a bit of context: as a good ol' metalhead, I'm not terribly versed in everything about gossip and pop music. I now remember that some years ago there was this dispute about a dude upstaging a singer, it was big news, and then like everything else (other scandals of various degrees, most recently Kid Rock being punched by Will Smith for example) the world forgot and moved on.

I was never aware of Taylor Swift, I seriously couldn't name a single song from her before this thread made me curious about why prog metal fans were talking about her. I knew the name and that she was a singer, but I couldn't even probably but a face to the name. So since the Kanye West incident was long in the past, I never remembered it during my "OMG Folklore is awesome! and Evermore is great too! what a surprise!" phase, and today out of boredom (and running out of things to watch) I started the Taylor documentary she has on Netflix (Miss Americana) and I finally connected the dots.  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #883 on: March 18, 2023, 12:54:49 PM »
That's a lot of songs for the big fans! I don't think I would be super excited to sit through any concert longer than 3 hours even if I love the band but I know some people don't mind long shows.

Offline HOF

« Reply #884 on: March 18, 2023, 01:00:51 PM »
I mean, a bit of context: as a good ol' metalhead, I'm not terribly versed in everything about gossip and pop music. I now remember that some years ago there was this dispute about a dude upstaging a singer, it was big news, and then like everything else (other scandals of various degrees, most recently Kid Rock being punched by Will Smith for example) the world forgot and moved on.

Heh, Kid Rock is kind of punchable (not that I condone violence), but it was a different Rock.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #885 on: March 18, 2023, 02:22:36 PM »

Why would she burn out?

Because 44 songs is a lot of songs to sing every night for a full tour.

But it's not every night.  Not counting the last week when she is doing five nights in a week in CA, she is doing weekend shows only and 2-3 per city and only one city per week, so it's not like she is doing a "33 cities in 38 nights!" kinda tour.  I don't think she would have taken this on if she didn't think she could handle it, and if there is one thing that is certain about Ms. Swift, it's that she is a workaholic.  She loves her craft and loves to work, so getting out there and singing for the fans all of those songs, ones you can tell she loves to pieces, is right up her alley.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #886 on: March 18, 2023, 02:40:03 PM »
In other news, today I finally realized what Kanye West did to her at a Grammy awards defending Beyonce  :lol

I was never aware of Taylor Swift, I seriously couldn't name a single song from her before this thread made me curious about why prog metal fans were talking about her. I knew the name and that she was a singer, but I couldn't even probably but a face to the name. So since the Kanye West incident was long in the past, I never remembered it during my "OMG Folklore is awesome! and Evermore is great too! what a surprise!" phase, and today out of boredom (and running out of things to watch) I started the Taylor documentary she has on Netflix (Miss Americana) and I finally connected the dots.  :D

welcome to 2009 I guess  ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #887 on: March 18, 2023, 07:20:06 PM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #888 on: March 20, 2023, 06:34:39 AM »
Taylor's longtime lead guitarist, Paul Sidoti, was photographed with fans before the show (he's in the middle) and look at the shirt he is wearing.  :censored :censored

He needs to be fired immediately. :lol :biggrin:

I bet he can't even name 3 songs. :neverusethis:

Absolutely guarantee you he can.

(Although perhaps your comment was tongue in cheek.)

A friggin' DYNASTY shirt, too.  That's going deep!   :) :) :)

Is that girl famous? She looks very familiar (though it might be she just looks like someone famous; she's got a sort of Kristen Bell thing going on).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #889 on: March 20, 2023, 06:37:54 AM »

HAHAHAHA.   :facepalm:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #890 on: March 20, 2023, 07:11:42 PM »
Taylor's longtime lead guitarist, Paul Sidoti, was photographed with fans before the show (he's in the middle) and look at the shirt he is wearing.  :censored :censored

He needs to be fired immediately. :lol :biggrin:

I bet he can't even name 3 songs. :neverusethis:

Absolutely guarantee you he can.

(Although perhaps your comment was tongue in cheek.)

A friggin' DYNASTY shirt, too.  That's going deep!   :) :) :)

Is that girl famous? She looks very familiar (though it might be she just looks like someone famous; she's got a sort of Kristen Bell thing going on).

Just a fan, I think. What's wild is that the guy on the right looks like a younger combination of Nic Cage (eyes and hair) and Tommy Shaw (his mouth).

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #891 on: March 21, 2023, 03:51:28 PM »
Just popping in to let you guys know Taylor has a feature on a track the next National album due to drop late April.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #892 on: March 22, 2023, 06:25:57 AM »
Just popping in to let you guys know Taylor has a feature on a track the next National album due to drop late April.

that’s nice it’ll be like a new bonus track for Folklore/evermore p :P

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #893 on: March 22, 2023, 10:02:59 AM »

that’s nice it’ll be like a new bonus track for Folklore/evermore p :P

Just like Carolina, for example  :coolio
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #894 on: March 22, 2023, 06:56:40 PM »
Eh, not sure I buy the idea that anything Taylor does with Aaron Dessner will automatically sound like a Folklore/Evermore bonus track.  Carolina did for sure, but that song Renegade she did with Big Red Machine in 2021 didn't at all, and none of the songs she did with Dessner on Midnights didn't either.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #895 on: March 24, 2023, 08:34:28 AM »
next shows in vegas tonight and tomorrow.  I wonder if she’ll have a lot special guest stars like there were on the reputation tour? I know HAIM will be opening for a bunch of shows towards the end of the tour so she’ll definitely bring them out but that’s different

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #896 on: March 24, 2023, 10:31:00 AM »
I hope not.  My guess is a few select openers will come out for certain songs, like HAM for No Body No Crime and/or Phoebe Bridgers for Nothing New, but I'll bet she keeps the special guests to a low roar for this tour.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #897 on: March 26, 2023, 10:17:54 AM »
Or maybe not.

Marcus Mumford was a special guest last night at the second Vegas show.

She is killing it so far with the two rotating "surprise song" acoustic spots.

Friday - Our Song and Snow on the Beach
Saturday - Cowboy Like Me (with M. Mumford) and White Horse

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #898 on: March 30, 2023, 06:25:25 AM »
This is a GREAT watch/listen if you have 20 minutes.  It's a review of one of the Vegas shows from last week from a non-fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itzaFXwcOgM

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #899 on: March 30, 2023, 11:46:22 AM »
Meanwhile, I'm now caught up with gossip celebrities drama from years ago, and now I finally know that Taylor Swift is in a feud with Kanye West and some Kardashan, that she dropped out of the spotlight for a year after the "I made that bitch famous" incident, and she came back with an "angry" album, Reputation.

All of this was a preface to lead into my "Taylor song of the moment", Look What you Made Me Do. Wow, that song is ANGRY. Needless to say, it's the perfect song to pick for an hard rock / metal cover, and so I'm searching high and low on YouTube for the perfect version (perfect for my tastes of course).

The intro is very dramatic, and the bridge is quite addictive (But I got smarter, I got harder in the nick of time, Honey I rose up from the dead, I do it all the time....), not sold on the way the chorus is sang and it could be more melodic, but people covering that song sometime work around it. Also the "I don't trust nobody and nobody trusts me" part is quite cool, with the reprise of the melody of the intro. Great dark and "mean" song all around.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #900 on: March 30, 2023, 01:40:41 PM »
This is a GREAT watch/listen if you have 20 minutes.  It's a review of one of the Vegas shows from last week from a non-fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itzaFXwcOgM

that was a great listen, thanks! Kind of amazing even a casual fan says it’s worth paying that much for money for this show.  Though it’s funny he said it’s Vegas so he made the money back at the blackjack tables later so it ended up costing nothing, lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #901 on: March 30, 2023, 08:00:55 PM »

The intro is very dramatic, and the bridge is quite addictive (But I got smarter, I got harder in the nick of time, Honey I rose up from the dead, I do it all the time....), not sold on the way the chorus is sang and it could be more melodic, but people covering that song sometime work around it. Also the "I don't trust nobody and nobody trusts me" part is quite cool, with the reprise of the melody of the intro. Great dark and "mean" song all around.

I don't have any interest in discussing the feud that led to this song, but I mostly agree with your take on Look What...  The main line in the chorus is pretty bland, but the rest of the song is pretty darn good.  I do like the changes in the rhythm underneath each chorus, and the video is pretty great with the ending where all of the Taylors are arguing with one another, and then the Taylor from the awards shows steps up and says, "I would very much like to be excused from this narrative," which is a good way of saying, "I never wanted any part of this crap."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #902 on: March 30, 2023, 09:59:39 PM »
So Kanye and a Kardashian is the reason Taylor Swift followed up such a great album with utter trash? Makes sense, actually.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #903 on: March 31, 2023, 05:54:19 AM »

I don't have any interest in discussing the feud that led to this song, but I mostly agree with your take on Look What...  The main line in the chorus is pretty bland, but the rest of the song is pretty darn good.  I do like the changes in the rhythm underneath each chorus, and the video is pretty great with the ending where all of the Taylors are arguing with one another, and then the Taylor from the awards shows steps up and says, "I would very much like to be excused from this narrative," which is a good way of saying, "I never wanted any part of this crap."

For the uninitiated, I think that is a prime example of the genius - no irony, no hyperbole - that is Taylor Swift. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #904 on: March 31, 2023, 06:10:20 AM »

For the uninitiated, I think that is a prime example of the genius - no irony, no hyperbole - that is Taylor Swift.

Agreed.  She took a negative and turned it into a massive positive.  And even though Reputation is generally considered her revenge album, only a few of the songs are about or aimed at the dimwits who shall remain unnamed.  The majority of the album is basically a lover letter to her boyfriend Joe, who she's now been with for like 7 years. 

And while I try not to get crazy with the talking about her appearance stuff, as much as that red lipstick is part of her brand, she looks so much better when she goes with the softer look.  Case in point: when she received the Innovator award earlier this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIrHts62ACQ

She looks stunning there.  :heart :heart

Offline Skeever

« Reply #905 on: March 31, 2023, 07:34:53 AM »
When a bud of mine was buying his $60 ticket, I URGED him to buy a second one. I told him, "even if you don't find someone to go, you'll be able to sell it." He was hesitant,  but eventually agreed. Last week,  he sold that ticket for $1,200. I think I'm owed at least a beer or something, right?  :biggrin:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #906 on: March 31, 2023, 08:16:22 AM »
What did she innovate?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #907 on: March 31, 2023, 12:19:37 PM »
What did she innovate?

How to look hot AF in a monk's hood.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #908 on: March 31, 2023, 12:21:51 PM »
She's definitely a looker, but imma bout to get the hose.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #909 on: March 31, 2023, 02:24:44 PM »
What did she innovate?

I'd say "inspire" is a better word than "innovate".
She's inspired so many girls to pick up guitar, that Fender have cited most of their first-time guitar buyers are teenager girls. Figure that. And just look at all the "Taylor-esque" singer songerwriters out there these days. "Sad girl indie" owes a great deal to Taylor. 

In terms of innovation, though, I don't really hear it. She's alright. She and Jack Antanoff made formative pop records, and for better or worse the Antanoff writing and production style basically defines a decade of pop (Taytay, Lorde, LDR, and many others who wear "indie" as an aesthetic). I personally don't care for it much, but again, the influence is there.