Author Topic: Taylor Swift  (Read 71727 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Taylor Swift
« Reply #420 on: November 17, 2021, 06:20:42 AM »
To my knowledge, she has never confirmed who any song is about, but she definitely loves dropping clues and Easter eggs into songs, artwork, videos, etc., so she will sometimes put it out there for fans to decipher. 

Personally, I prefer it when an artist doesn't get too specific in regards to what or who a song is about.  Leaving things up to the imagination of the listeners is often more fun, IMO.  I was always a little disappointed on the Live Scenes commentary when DT basically told us what happens in Scenes from a Memory.  I thought leaving a few things ambiguous or up to the interpretation of each listener was more interesting rather than saying "X means this, that and the other."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #421 on: November 17, 2021, 07:10:46 AM »
Well, in the case of SFAM it's a story, so I actually want to know said story in detail. It was fun figuring out the whole plot during the first listenings - took me a while to figure out the twist - but once I got the main key point down, I'm happy to know the actual plot of an actual story.

It's for stand alone songs that I can get along on the "don't explain too much" thing...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline HOF

« Reply #422 on: November 17, 2021, 07:29:12 AM »
Well, in the case of SFAM it's a story, so I actually want to know said story in detail. It was fun figuring out the whole plot during the first listenings - took me a while to figure out the twist - but once I got the main key point down, I'm happy to know the actual plot of an actual story.

It's for stand alone songs that I can get along on the "don't explain too much" thing...

All you needed to do was watch Dead Again.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #423 on: November 17, 2021, 07:42:15 AM »
I also can't really judge Taylor Swift for writing some sad songs about three or four boyfriends tops when all of my favorite Brian May songs are about him cheating on his first wife ;D

Wait... what??  :)  :)  :) :)
Am I about to ruin some songs for you :lol

Yes, MirrorMask is correct that TMLWKY is about Brian feeling guilty about his very public affair and later divorce. In addition to that, we have:

Now I'm Here: Yes, really! Had an easier time finding this screenshot on Tumblr than on Brian's ancient massive website, here's the entire story

It's Late: The lyrics really speak for themselves. Brian does his usual hedging to explain this when he says "it was gathered from many people's experiences on tour" but, come on ::)

If we're including just songs about partying during the band's Munich period and possibly or possibly not seeing loose women, Dragon Attack and Dancer. Could be about just memories from tour, but they are very period-typical and correspond well to what he was saying in interviews about how the band's marriages and long term relationships really started crumbling during that period.

Let Me In Your Heart Again: Song about feeling estranged from your long term lover from 1984, so I'm guessing this is the emotional background to him pulling the plug on his marriage later.

Scandal: Straight up about the fallout from Brian separating from his wife, only the subtext is about Freddie being hunted by tabloids.

I Can't Live With You: more self-explanatory lyrics, considering the time period

From the first solo album, Love Token (blunt as hell) and Let Your Heart Rule Your Head. From the second, Why Don't We Try Again also originates from the divorce period and is probably about killing the affair, then trying to reconnect. And of course, if we're taking unsubstantiated rumors (that Brian hasn't tried to squash) about how he may have had a midlife crisis and then cheated on his second wife (then girlfriend) in the late 90's with his assistant who was helping him put the second album together, Wilderness and Another World are two beautiful songs which have some, uh, interesting sets of lyrics.

In conclusion, Taylor Swift doesn't go as deep into her failed relationships as some other writers do :corn

Thank you for that; I have some listening to do!   :)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #424 on: November 17, 2021, 08:07:17 AM »

All you needed to do was watch Dead Again.

I saw that movie eventually, SFAM is still my favorite album of all time but after having seen Dead Again, I must confess my enjoyment of the story fell down a bit  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #425 on: November 17, 2021, 04:20:26 PM »
Speaking of lyrics, for those of you who are fans, have you read the lyrics to Forever Winter, one of the new From the Vault tracks?   It is about suicide, and was apparently written by Taylor after her best friend died from an overdose back in 2010. 

Just...wow.

She's a damn lyrical wizard.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #426 on: November 17, 2021, 06:28:40 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC0AG8HfAi4

Help I can't stop listening to different versions of All Too Well

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #427 on: November 17, 2021, 07:02:04 PM »
See, now she is just taking victory laps. :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #428 on: November 18, 2021, 03:14:17 PM »
That's basically an arrangement that could have found space on Folkore or Evermore!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #429 on: November 18, 2021, 07:13:39 PM »
That's basically an arrangement that could have found space on Folkore or Evermore!

Without a doubt.  And are we really supposed to believe that Taylor and her team went up there to just record that one version and then just left?  I highly doubt it.  She is always up to something.  :coolio :coolio

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #430 on: November 19, 2021, 10:58:44 AM »

Without a doubt.  And are we really supposed to believe that Taylor and her team went up there to just record that one version and then just left?  I highly doubt it.  She is always up to something.  :coolio :coolio

No doubt her new prog rock concept album.

Could Red be considered a concept album? Does it follow a narrative? Similar to Seventh Son maybe?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #431 on: November 20, 2021, 02:44:43 PM »

Could Red be considered a concept album? Does it follow a narrative? Similar to Seventh Son maybe?

Is heartbreak a concept? :lol :P

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #432 on: November 20, 2021, 03:43:20 PM »
Folklore has more chance of being considered something resembling a concept album, there's a few recurring characters and teenage love triangle story in Cardigan, August and Betty (maybe more but that's off the top of my head). I think she just enjoys putting easter eggs for the fans to pick up on, and has for a long time but I wouldn't call it concept albums.  I guess it's more akin to the nuggetz(!) from Octovarium than the story of Scenes From A Memory, and even so it's never as elaborate as 8V was.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #433 on: November 20, 2021, 04:58:21 PM »
I really like some of her studio songs but the woman cannot hold pitch. In terms of live performance she is poop.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #434 on: November 20, 2021, 05:10:31 PM »
I'd be more generous and say inconsistent.  There's a lot of good recordings of her and a guitar,  Kev and I were just discussing some earlier, but I agree she's not an especially strong vocal performer.  But idk, even Adele is off pitch sometimes, lol :)  Taylor Swift's SNL performance from a week ago for example,  I can hear she's a litle pitchy here and there but the overall effect still works, or at least it does to me.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #435 on: November 20, 2021, 05:11:27 PM »

Is heartbreak a concept? :lol :P

I meant more like a story with a beginning and end. I don't know all the lyrics but State of Grace is the beginning of a happy relationship, and yaddy yadda Mysterio breaks her heart, and Begin Again starts a new relationship. I don't know.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: November 20, 2021, 05:40:07 PM »
I really like some of her studio songs but the woman cannot hold pitch. In terms of live performance she is poop.

Always find a criticism like this to be slightly smirk inducing on a DT forum :biggrin:

She sounds good enough live. For me, anyway.

Also, "the woman" - really? Perhaps we come from different parts of the globe but I find that incredibly dismissive in this context. Ugh.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 05:45:40 PM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #437 on: November 20, 2021, 05:40:53 PM »

I meant more like a story with a beginning and end. I don't know all the lyrics but State of Grace is the beginning of a happy relationship, and yaddy yadda Mysterio breaks her heart, and Begin Again starts a new relationship. I don't know.

I think that's a good way to look at it. After the heartache of a painful breakup, the album ends with her singing a song about meeting someone new in a cafe and realizing it will be okay.  A nice way to end the album.

I'd be more generous and say inconsistent.  There's a lot of good recordings of her and a guitar,  Kev and I were just discussing some earlier, but I agree she's not an especially strong vocal performer.  But idk, even Adele is off pitch sometimes, lol :)  Taylor Swift's SNL performance from a week ago for example,  I can hear she's a litle pitchy here and there but the overall effect still works, or at least it does to me.

Her singing is fine.  No, it's not perfect from a technical standpoint, but if I wanted perfect singing, I will go see an opera. :P

I saw a comment about her online recently that summed it up well and was something along the lines of, "She is a one in a million talent when it comes to words and storytelling, which is why she has been so successful despite not being a naturally gifted singer or musician," and I totally agree with that.  And I think she is a really good singer, flaws and all. There is a character and a nuance to her singing that works extremely well.  If some want to go on about pitch or range or whatever, that is fine, but her style, when it comes to both storytelling and singing, is all about details and character, and she nails both to a "t."  I am seeing increased comparisons of her to Dylan and Springsteen, neither of whom are great technical singers either, and look at what they have done.  Great songwriting often wins in the end.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #438 on: November 20, 2021, 05:45:02 PM »

Always find a criticism like this to be slightly smirk inducing on a DT forum :biggrin:

Also, "the woman" - really?

I think a lot of the criticism thrown her way definitely comes from a misogynistic standpoint, even if some do not realize it, but I do not think "the woman" remark there was anything offensive.  Sub it out to "the man" if we were talking about a male singer and we'd think nothing of it, IMO.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: November 20, 2021, 05:46:43 PM »

Also, "the woman" - really?

I think a lot of the criticism thrown her way definitely comes from a misogynistic standpoint, even if some do not realize it, but I do not think "the woman" remark there was anything offensive.  Sub it out to "the man" if we were talking about a male singer and we'd think nothing of it, IMO.

I actually edited my post before seeing this one. Could just be differences in language usage across the world.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #440 on: November 20, 2021, 05:49:17 PM »

I actually edited my post before seeing this one. Could just be differences in language usage across the world.

All good. :tup :tup

• PR permission
« Reply #441 on: November 20, 2021, 09:29:36 PM »

Also, "the woman" - really? Perhaps we come from different parts of the globe but I find that incredibly dismissive in this context. Ugh.

Just curious but what part of the globe are you from where this is automatically dismissive and presumably misogynistic? This context was strictly about her ability as a singer, so not sure how anything was “dismissive.” I did say I like her songs; it’s just that she has trouble holding pitch in her live performances.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #442 on: November 21, 2021, 11:45:23 AM »
Taylor performing a Carole King song at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony (from earlier this month, broadcast on HBO last night):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oHyBaZ8kYc

Can't find a good upload of her speech when she inducted Carole King, but it was very well done.  :tup :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: November 22, 2021, 08:14:50 AM »

I think that's a good way to look at it. After the heartache of a painful breakup, the album ends with her singing a song about meeting someone new in a cafe and realizing it will be okay.  A nice way to end the album.

Her singing is fine.  No, it's not perfect from a technical standpoint, but if I wanted perfect singing, I will go see an opera. :P

I saw a comment about her online recently that summed it up well and was something along the lines of, "She is a one in a million talent when it comes to words and storytelling, which is why she has been so successful despite not being a naturally gifted singer or musician," and I totally agree with that.  And I think she is a really good singer, flaws and all. There is a character and a nuance to her singing that works extremely well.  If some want to go on about pitch or range or whatever, that is fine, but her style, when it comes to both storytelling and singing, is all about details and character, and she nails both to a "t." I am seeing increased comparisons of her to Dylan and Springsteen, neither of whom are great technical singers either, and look at what they have done.  Great songwriting often wins in the end.

This.    My wife and step daughter have seen her twice, and my daughter three times.  NOT ONE COMPLAINT.   

Offline Mechanix1911

« Reply #444 on: November 22, 2021, 12:21:37 PM »
Ok, I extremely love Red and 1989. I love reputation. I expected to love folklore, but I can't seem to finish it, it becomes too same-sounding for me. Should I check out evermore? Lover also didn't do too much for me.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #445 on: November 22, 2021, 04:06:02 PM »
https://twitter.com/billboardcharts/status/1462859512570863621?s=21

10 minute version of All Too Well goes number 1 on billboard charts (whatever that means in 2021, who knows)

longest song to go number 1 since American Pie by Don Mclean.  Score one for the epics  :lol

• PR permission
« Reply #446 on: November 22, 2021, 05:10:05 PM »
hey - I am glad people are enjoying her concerts. I think we all know that a live performance is going to be very different from a studio recording. I might even see her live, depending on price, with the understanding that she's going to sing off key in all likelihood but that there are other fun aspects to the show.

I very much enjoy some of the songs attributed to her and think she deserves to be a pop star. She has a certain look and "thing" which are easily sellable-- evidently!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #447 on: November 22, 2021, 06:02:12 PM »
     My wife and step daughter have seen her twice, and my daughter three times.  NOT ONE COMPLAINT.

I believe it.  My cousin said she and her mid 20s daughter have seen her twice and said it was just insane how good it was and how loud the crowds were.  You'd swear it was Johnny Fontane. :P

Ok, I extremely love Red and 1989. I love reputation. I expected to love folklore, but I can't seem to finish it, it becomes too same-sounding for me. Should I check out evermore? Lover also didn't do too much for me.

I thought the same at first about Folklore and Evermore, the latter of which is pretty similar, although Folklore is more like a spring/summer album while Evermore is fall/winter, but I would give them each a few spins start to finish.  The more you listen, the more you get swept up in the vibe.  And before you know it, you can't stop listening to either. :)

10 minute version of All Too Well goes number 1 on billboard charts (whatever that means in 2021, who knows)

longest song to go number 1 since American Pie by Don Mclean.  Score one for the epics  :lol

Haha, yep.  I can just picture the prog snobs out there shaking their fists about this.  :lol :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #448 on: November 22, 2021, 06:50:58 PM »
So they are playing it on the radio?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #449 on: November 22, 2021, 08:56:06 PM »
Is there such a thing as FM radio anymore that plays pop music?  I have no idea.  I have even less of an idea of how they determine the hot 100 now. I know streams and Spotify and YT watches and all of that are factored in somehow, but it all seems confusing to me. :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: November 23, 2021, 07:57:41 AM »
I think it's a little old, now, since I watch TV off a DVR, but I saw the SNL bumper for her recent appearance, where her, Bowen Yang, Aidy Byrant and Jonathan Majors read the bumper one word at a time.  They celebrate after pulling it off, and she walks off waving her hands in the air and it was so...  relatable.  I'm pretty sure I have a full on crush on her at this point.   

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #451 on: November 23, 2021, 10:42:57 AM »

Just came to mention this...I'd imagine it'll get Grammy hype as well. Funny, I still remember the interviewer's reaction when JP stated that it's odd for an 8 minute song to get a nomination, and she was all 'EIGHT MINUTES!!!' :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #452 on: November 23, 2021, 06:29:35 PM »
I doubt she will submit anything from TV of Red for next year's Grammys (the Grammy year ends at the start of November, I think, so Red TV is not eligible until next year's Grammys), as she did not submit anything from TV of Fearless for this year's.  Granted, she might have held back on submitting anything from Fearless TV so as not to compete against herself since she was submitting Evermore and the hit Willow from it in various categories, but I would still be surprised if she submitted anything from Red TV.  She apparently was crushed when Red didn't win album of the year when it was nominated 8-9 years ago, and I doubt she wants to submit it and not win with it again, especially she'd already have Adele to go against, and Adele is as much of a darling to the voters as Taylor is, so there is that.

I did see that Evermore got nominated for album of the year today, so that was cool.  I didn't care about Willow not getting nominated in any of the categories where she submitted it as I do not think that song is anything more than solid. 

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #453 on: November 23, 2021, 08:16:12 PM »
edit:  nevermind I hadn't read Kev's post to the end and he covered her grammy nomination.  carry on.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: November 24, 2021, 07:22:49 AM »
I had to drive to Boston and back yesterday, and I listened to T's version of Red, and MAN.  She's the bomb.  I love both versions of All Too Well.  I even like the new version of Wildest Dreams.

That line:  "And you call me up again just to break me like a promise; so casually cruel in the name of being honest."

Brutal, in the best possible way.