Author Topic: Taylor Swift  (Read 65599 times)

DTA and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online HOF

Re: Taylor Swift
« Reply #945 on: May 06, 2023, 01:27:57 PM »
Today I discovered, from the same album, Better than Revenge, which is a nice rocking song even though a bit on the silly side, and for a moment I was sure she was singing "She took him faster than you could say Savatage", but it was just "sabotage"  :lol

Hate that one too!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #946 on: May 06, 2023, 06:21:20 PM »
To any of the actual fans here who are considering to go see this tour, do not hesitate. Find a way to go. You will not be sorry, trust me.

I was at the Nashville concert last night, and there are no words for what we witnessed.  Nearly 3 1/2 hours of the biggest current star in the music world just delivering on every level possible.

Happily, the rain, which had been predicted all week for all evening in Nashville, mostly stayed away except for some light drizzling during Phoebe Bridgers' opening set.  I don't think it rained at all once Taylor hit the stage.

I have not seen yet what the exact attendance was for last night, but it was supposedly over 70,000, and to say the crowd was LOUD would be the understatement of the year.  I have never witnessed a crowd that loud before, at any music or sporting event. It was wild.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 06:08:07 PM by KevShmev »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #947 on: May 06, 2023, 06:54:34 PM »
 :tup
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #948 on: May 06, 2023, 07:52:46 PM »
I forgot to mention as well that last night was the first show of the tour where she did three surprise songs, as Nothing New, which she performed with Phoebe Bridgers who is now on the tour as one of the openers, was inserted into the Red set, and then there were the two normal slots for surprise songs, the first of which was Sparks Fly, which came right about the Speak Now TV announcement which made the crowd noise go nuclear, and then Teardrops on My Guitar, which I wasn't really a fan of it before since it was on the debut and is very much a country song, but her solo piano version of last night was gorgeous.  The great melodies of that song really became obvious to me once the country aesthetics weren't there.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 06:59:55 AM by KevShmev »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #949 on: May 06, 2023, 11:49:42 PM »
I just can't justify over $400 for any concert. Wow, I just looked and she played 2 nights in Phoenix. Oh well, I never got to see Tom Petty and probably will never see The Offspring so my wife will just have to deal with it.

Or, maybe, she'll release another album that I actual like, and I might be more compelled to go. But still, $400. Ugh. Kev, if you're comfortable, you look pretty far away. Did you pay that much?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #950 on: May 07, 2023, 07:09:55 AM »
I just can't justify over $400 for any concert. Wow, I just looked and she played 2 nights in Phoenix. Oh well, I never got to see Tom Petty and probably will never see The Offspring so my wife will just have to deal with it.

Or, maybe, she'll release another album that I actual like, and I might be more compelled to go. But still, $400. Ugh. Kev, if you're comfortable, you look pretty far away. Did you pay that much?

$130 a ticket with service charges. I got lucky the day of the sale and managed to get in and buy two seats for the actual price.  The pics make it look farther away than we were.  Yes, we were up high, but you could still see everything, the many big screens helped a lot as well, and the advantage of being up high was that we could see all the effects that were on the catwalks/two outer stages (for lack of better terms).  They had really cool stuff going on there for many songs.  Take pic below.  Taylor and like six of her singers/dancers were on the middle stage (where they all are in this pic) on elevated platforms for Look What You Made Me Do and there were effects on both sides like big giant snakes were striking all of them.  Very awesome effect (even if you don't care for the song).  Anyone who was up close on the floor could not have seen any of that.

Honestly, with the way this set list goes, even if there is an album you don't like, it is so well balanced that there will plenty you do if you are a fan.  If you don't like Midnights, it literally takes up about 25 minutes or so. Granted, it's at the end of the show, but still, Karma was a spectacular way to end it, and a major advantage of the open stadium was the ending with the fireworks can be done in all its glory since there was no roof.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #951 on: May 07, 2023, 12:30:12 PM »
Speaking of Look What you Made Me Do, I love the transition she does coming from Don't Blame Me.

"Don't blame me, don't blame me, don't blame me for what you made me do
Don't blame me, don't blame me, don't blame for what... you... made... me.... DO", going into the initial chord of LWYMMD and probably the heaviest moment of the entire show  :D

I mean, there are transitions in DT medleys that are more jarring than this excellent flowing from one song to another.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #952 on: May 07, 2023, 06:11:27 PM »
Speaking of Look What you Made Me Do, I love the transition she does coming from Don't Blame Me.

"Don't blame me, don't blame me, don't blame me for what you made me do
Don't blame me, don't blame me, don't blame for what... you... made... me.... DO", going into the initial chord of LWYMMD and probably the heaviest moment of the entire show  :D

I mean, there are transitions in DT medleys that are more jarring than this excellent flowing from one song to another.

Yep, that was a smoooooth transition.  Looks like this was from one of the earliest shows of the tour, but 1:55-2:30ish captures the transition perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8PLt-KdnIw

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #953 on: May 08, 2023, 06:47:04 AM »
Folks last night got their show, but it took time, as rain and lightning delayed the start till 10:30 pm (instead of Taylor's normal start time of 8 pm). When I saw that, I thought she'd likely do an abridged set or something, but nope, she still did her entire show till past 1:30 am this morning.  That is so rock and roll.  :metal :metal

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #954 on: May 08, 2023, 08:01:47 AM »
Also, I guess her being ultra rich won't affect the giant curfew fee she probably had to pay  :D (now I think of DT going one minute overtime at Radio City Music Hall for Score.....)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #955 on: May 08, 2023, 08:40:00 AM »
If she's so rich, why can't she afford a complete pair of pants?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #956 on: May 08, 2023, 09:51:03 AM »
Also, I guess her being ultra rich won't affect the giant curfew fee she probably had to pay  :D (now I think of DT going one minute overtime at Radio City Music Hall for Score.....)

Well, looking at it from a monetary standpoint, what she made from last night's show minus the giant curfew fee is still way more than making nothing from last night had it been cancelled and tickets been refunded.   I read a twitter feed that had a nice breakdown of the costs to put on this tour, where it was estimated that she will personally net 480 million dollars from this tour (which will double her net worth), and there are 52 shows, so that is a shade under a million per show she makes herself (after all other costs).  Last night's was the 19th, so there are still 33 to go.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #957 on: May 08, 2023, 10:20:08 AM »

Well, looking at it from a monetary standpoint, what she made from last night's show minus the giant curfew fee is still way more than making nothing from last night had it been cancelled and tickets been refunded.   I read a twitter feed that had a nice breakdown of the costs to put on this tour, where it was estimated that she will personally net 480 million dollars from this tour (which will double her net worth), and there are 52 shows, so that is a shade under a million per show she makes herself (after all other costs).  Last night's was the 19th, so there are still 33 to go.

I wouldn't just assume there are curfew costs when there's an act of God like that.  There still might be, but it's not a given. It's certainly not necessarily the same as DT playing, and it's 10:59 and the union guys are standing there with arms crossed and a death stare.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #958 on: May 08, 2023, 01:21:44 PM »
It's certainly not necessarily the same as DT playing, and it's 10:59 and the union guys are standing there with arms crossed and a death stare.

"They said this was the last song but they're been playing since 10 minutes"  >:(

:lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #959 on: May 08, 2023, 02:35:03 PM »
If she's so rich, why can't she afford a complete pair of pants?
She spent it all to put insurance on her legs :biggrin:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline faizoff

« Reply #960 on: May 08, 2023, 03:15:54 PM »

From this article, it sounds like there won't be any curfew penalty fee.

Although fans wondered whether curfews or fines might cause Swift’s set to be condensed, Nissan Stadium is city-owned and said not to be subject to the restrictions that might affect other venues

My niece and her mom were in attendance last night and said they had the time of their life, it was a night they'll never forget.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #961 on: May 08, 2023, 05:24:22 PM »
Ah, okay, that's cool to hear.  :tup :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #962 on: May 08, 2023, 08:05:25 PM »
I find the song Speak Now super irritating. The lyrics are sort of clever, but the whole “I can’t believe you chose her, you know you really want to be with me” thing is so vain (it pops up in other songs of hers too). At least when the Spin Doctors do it it’s kind of in a self deprecating way.

BTW, I meant to reply to this... When playing a song from Speak Now this weekend, Taylor did mention that that album is when she first started writing some songs that were fictional (rather than about her life), with Mine and the song Speak Now being two examples.

Online HOF

« Reply #963 on: May 08, 2023, 09:54:50 PM »
I find the song Speak Now super irritating. The lyrics are sort of clever, but the whole “I can’t believe you chose her, you know you really want to be with me” thing is so vain (it pops up in other songs of hers too). At least when the Spin Doctors do it it’s kind of in a self deprecating way.

BTW, I meant to reply to this... When playing a song from Speak Now this weekend, Taylor did mention that that album is when she first started writing some songs that were fictional (rather than about her life), with Mine and the song Speak Now being two examples.

Oh yeah, I assumed she didn’t actually interrupt some ex’s wedding or anything. I guess it’s the persona that grates on me mostly. I think she’s a talented songwriter, I just wish she would branch out a bit topically sometimes (which she has done on songs like “Epiphany,” which is great).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #964 on: May 09, 2023, 05:58:27 AM »

Oh yeah, I assumed she didn’t actually interrupt some ex’s wedding or anything. I guess it’s the persona that grates on me mostly. I think she’s a talented songwriter, I just wish she would branch out a bit topically sometimes (which she has done on songs like “Epiphany,” which is great).

She does write a lot of songs that aren't about her or her relationship, but the celebrity culture of today obsesses about celebrity relationships, so it's easy to think otherwise since her relationship songs are usually the most talked about ones.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #965 on: May 24, 2023, 06:17:01 AM »
So as not to deluge the post a pic thread with too much Taylor talk :P, here are some fun pics and clips from the show last Saturday in Foxborough where it reportedly rained hard the entire show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HykwUsOePg

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #966 on: May 24, 2023, 08:28:00 AM »
Are microphones waterproof?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #967 on: May 24, 2023, 09:51:57 AM »
Are microphones waterproof?

No, but some are built with more resistance to strong weather.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #968 on: May 24, 2023, 10:20:03 AM »
She clearly is, though.  :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #969 on: May 24, 2023, 06:08:33 PM »
What's funny is that if Dream Theater or one of the favorite bands here did a 3 hour and 15 minute show in driving rain and stuck it out for the fans and looked pretty happy doing it the whole time, the praise they'd get here would be borderline insane, but since only like five of us here like Taylor :lol, it's a mere afterthought.  A shame, but it is what it is. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #970 on: May 25, 2023, 07:15:43 AM »
What's funny is that if Dream Theater or one of the favorite bands here did a 3 hour and 15 minute show in driving rain and stuck it out for the fans and looked pretty happy doing it the whole time, the praise they'd get here would be borderline insane, but since only like five of us here like Taylor :lol, it's a mere afterthought.  A shame, but it is what it is.

It IS a shame, but you're 100% right.   We have proof of that; the keyboard show for LTE is almost legendary. 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #971 on: May 25, 2023, 07:24:24 AM »

While I have no interest in TS or her music (and it's not for lack of trying), I was talking to my partner yesterday about it and was praising TS for that performance. I was labelled a Swifter afterwards, but hey, I give credit where credit is due  :lol

The conversation came up because we have a 2 hour drive on Saturday, and unfortunately we have to drive through MetLife Stadium and we are already dreading the traffic we are going to encounter because of her show.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #972 on: May 25, 2023, 09:31:41 AM »
Reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9kz-tag04U Look at Lars' drums at the 20 second mark :lol They are all utterly soaked. And it's not just any old rain, it's Manchester rain!
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #973 on: May 25, 2023, 09:36:33 AM »

It IS a shame, but you're 100% right.   We have proof of that; the keyboard show for LTE is almost legendary.

What's sad about that now is that some bands are so addicted to everything being just right (choreography, backing tracks, etc.) that they'd be incapable of still playing a show for fans if one instrument went down and was not usable for a good part of the set.

While I have no interest in TS or her music (and it's not for lack of trying), I was talking to my partner yesterday about it and was praising TS for that performance. I was labelled a Swifter afterwards, but hey, I give credit where credit is due  :lol

The conversation came up because we have a 2 hour drive on Saturday, and unfortunately we have to drive through MetLife Stadium and we are already dreading the traffic we are going to encounter because of her show.

Please let us know how driving through MetLife Stadium goes. :P

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #974 on: May 25, 2023, 10:05:23 AM »
Not that difficult, as long as you give them know ahead of time they let you drive through it  :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #975 on: May 25, 2023, 10:44:47 AM »

Whispers: I think it's Swiftie. SWIFTIE.  A Swifter is for cleaning your kitchen floor.  Unless of course that's exactly what your partner was calling you, which sort of fits in context!  :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #976 on: May 25, 2023, 10:48:27 AM »

Whispers: I think it's Swiftie. SWIFTIE.  A Swifter is for cleaning your kitchen floor.  Unless of course that's exactly what your partner was calling you, which sort of fits in context!  :) :) :) :) :) :)

Don't be coy. You KNOW it's 'Swiftie'. About time you came out properly.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #977 on: May 25, 2023, 10:57:10 AM »

Don't be coy. You KNOW it's 'Swiftie'. About time you came out properly.

HAHA, busted!!!  :)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #978 on: May 25, 2023, 12:01:00 PM »

Also, this Eras tour is the Octavarium tour concept taken to the extreme. MP conjured up a setlist in chronological order, with a song, max 2, per album, Taylor has entire acts, sets within the set, for each album. And each night she plays one or two surprise songs different from every show - imagine being in the middle of a DT show not knowing before hand if it would be Petrucci with an acoustic guitar or Jordan at the piano joining James for an acoustic song always different from night to night (like the Dramatic tour where they would play one night two piano songs, and the other night two acoustic guitar songs).

Anyway, in case people wonder how the instruments survive in the pouring rain, someone on Reddit investigated about it, it's the first comment and the most voted.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #979 on: May 25, 2023, 12:12:58 PM »

Also, this Eras tour is the Octavarium tour concept taken to the extreme. MP conjured up a setlist in chronological order, with a song, max 2, per album, Taylor has entire acts, sets within the set, for each album. And each night she plays one or two surprise songs different from every show - imagine being in the middle of a DT show not knowing before hand if it would be Petrucci with an acoustic guitar or Jordan at the piano joining James for an acoustic song always different from night to night (like the Dramatic tour where they would play one night two piano songs, and the other night two acoustic guitar songs).

Anyway, in case people wonder how the instruments survive in the pouring rain, someone on Reddit investigated about it, it's the first comment and the most voted.

This isn't new territory.  The Rolling Stones did a huge show in... I think it was Buenos Aires, on the beach, and they played to something like 500,000 people.  The crowd was so deep along the beach they had to put computer sequencers on the sound system so the delay didn't get out of hand. 

And since it was a one-off and they were going to be both filming and recording, as well as bringing half a million people in to the area, they had all kinds of precautions taken.  I imagine that rather than night of the show mitigations, these just happen between shows.

Don't get me wrong, it was fantastic that she did that, but I don't think - technology-wise - this was the equivalent of going to Mars or anything like that.