Author Topic: Taylor Swift  (Read 65088 times)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Taylor Swift
« Reply #1260 on: December 06, 2023, 07:51:19 AM »
The world has seen her play 44 songs a night on tour now, performing for over three hours. She makes it look easy but it's really a feat of incredible endurance. It's hard to think of an example of someone who matches that kind of output, except maybe Bruce Springsteen, but he doesn't have to cover as much ground as Taylor does up there.
What does he mean by the bolded part?
My guess would be the dancing. Also that Bruce does Guitar/vocals while Taylor does Piano/Guitar/Vocals :dunno:
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1261 on: December 06, 2023, 07:54:17 AM »
The world has seen her play 44 songs a night on tour now, performing for over three hours. She makes it look easy but it's really a feat of incredible endurance. It's hard to think of an example of someone who matches that kind of output, except maybe Bruce Springsteen, but he doesn't have to cover as much ground as Taylor does up there.

good question, I was also a little bit puzzled.   Does he mean physical ground as in her stage is bigger?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1262 on: December 06, 2023, 08:08:34 AM »
I assumed he meant a wider variety of material when it comes to genres/styles, plus pretty much all of her songs are vocal-heavy, while I know Bruce's songs tend to have more solos/live jams.  Ultimately, comparing the two is probably not necessary.

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1263 on: December 06, 2023, 08:17:02 AM »
congrats on taylor swift joining the likes of Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Barack Obama, and YOU (us all?) as the Time Person of the year alumni
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1264 on: December 06, 2023, 09:12:56 AM »
My guess would be the dancing. Also that Bruce does Guitar/vocals while Taylor does Piano/Guitar/Vocals :dunno:
Bruce plays piano too, sometimes.  And while he doesn't dance, he is extremely physical in his shows, running around, jumping, and generally rocking out.  There are few people who expend more energy in a live show that Bruce.

I assumed he meant a wider variety of material when it comes to genres/styles, plus pretty much all of her songs are vocal-heavy, while I know Bruce's songs tend to have more solos/live jams.  Ultimately, comparing the two is probably not necessary.
Bruce's songs are vocal-heavy.  He may have more solos/jams than Taylor, but they aren't Phish.  And he plays a ton of different styles.

So I'm a little mystified.  I have no idea what he means by that.

I am in no way denigrating Taylor Swift and the effort she puts into, well, everything.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1265 on: December 06, 2023, 09:21:09 AM »
I have never seen Bruce, but I have seen enough footage to know that he is a ball of energy up there on stage.  Like I said, comparing the two doesn't seem needed.  There was a lot of other good stuff in Dessner's comments without getting too hung up on the one comment, IMO.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1266 on: December 06, 2023, 09:25:41 AM »
I have never seen Bruce, but I have seen enough footage to know that he is a ball of energy up there on stage.  Like I said, comparing the two doesn't seem needed.  There was a lot of other good stuff in Dessner's comments without getting too hung up on the one comment, IMO.
I know.  That was just the one that made no sense to me lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1267 on: December 06, 2023, 12:48:19 PM »
It was an exceedingly positive article about Taylor, and so I took the comment in that spirit.  Meaning, I took it as "Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band" vs. "Taylor Swift".

Who is Taylor's sax player?  Clarence "The Big Man" Clemons got his own spot (now his nephew does).   Who is Taylor's drummer?  Max Weinberg - the musical director of Conan O'brien's old late night show - gets his own moment in a Bruce show.   Who is Taylor's guitar player?   Little Stevie Van Zandt gets about as big a reception as Bruce does during the introductions!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1268 on: December 06, 2023, 03:07:31 PM »
I hadn't thought of it that way, but that is interesting for sure.

I thought that Time article was fantastic.  It really gave you a window into her and how she does and approaches things.  Some of it we already knew, but a lot of new stuff in there.  I liked the part about how she got in shape for the Eras tour set list by doing cardio every day and singing the set list the whole time she ran and going faster for the faster songs and doing a slow run/fast walk for the slower songs. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1269 on: December 07, 2023, 06:35:03 AM »

I thought that Time article was fantastic.  It really gave you a window into her and how she does and approaches things.  Some of it we already knew, but a lot of new stuff in there.  I liked the part about how she got in shape for the Eras tour set list by doing cardio every day and singing the set list the whole time she ran and going faster for the faster songs and doing a slow run/fast walk for the slower songs.

The latter thing a trick shared by none other than Mr. Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden.   It would thrill me to no end if she got that from him.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1270 on: December 07, 2023, 06:37:04 AM »
After all, is there much difference between Taylor Swift counting seconds as she runs backstage to get a change of dress, and Bruce Dickinson counting seconds as he runs backstage to wear a flamethrower?  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1271 on: December 07, 2023, 06:39:23 AM »
After all, is there much difference between Taylor Swift counting seconds as she runs backstage to get a change of dress, and Bruce Dickinson counting seconds as he runs backstage to wear a flamethrower?  :lol

Not until Bruce puts on the dress and Taylor puts on the flamethrower.  ;)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1272 on: December 07, 2023, 06:41:09 AM »
Well, to be fair, the Era tour is so lavish and grandiose that, if a specific lyrical line would call for it, a flamethrower wouldn't even be THAT out of place  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1273 on: December 07, 2023, 08:37:48 AM »

The latter thing a trick shared by none other than Mr. Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden.   It would thrill me to no end if she got that from him.

Oh, nice!  See, you learn something new every day.  :tup :tup

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1274 on: December 11, 2023, 06:13:04 AM »

Not until Bruce puts on the dress and Taylor puts on the flamethrower.  ;)

She doesn’t need any ideas!
Cut to next year when she puts I Did Something Bad in the rep era permanently.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1275 on: December 13, 2023, 09:02:25 AM »
Happy birthday Taylor Swift, december 13th 1989 so 34 years old today

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1276 on: December 13, 2023, 09:14:18 AM »
Happy birthday to the person of the year!  :metal

Online faizoff

« Reply #1277 on: December 13, 2023, 09:23:36 AM »
So I'm reading that the Eras tour movie that got released digitally today and is ONLY available for rent for $19.89. Also the extra songs are tacked to the end of the movie is a weird move.

I think typically for movies when they get released digitally, they are made available for purchase only followed by rentals and then eventual streaming. Will be interesting to see if a physical disc release every happens.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1278 on: December 13, 2023, 10:03:16 AM »
disappointing that the extra songs are not integrated, but it explains why Long Live is likely still the credits song, they didn’t actually re edit anything in the feature itself.   I assume it will available to buy digital soon but I would’ve liked them to announce the date now.   Or maybe it will go to one of the big subscriptions streamers. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1279 on: February 05, 2024, 01:38:43 AM »
So our girl, while busy playing 3 hours shows around the world, going to sport games (annoying people in the process) and generically suggesting people to register to vote (also annoying even more people in the process), found the time to write and record a brand new album!!!

And the occasion to announce it was.... her Grammy victory for Midnights! boy, she's on a roll.

The new album is called The Tortured Poems Department and is out 19th April. Minimalistic album cover, and immediately I hope - 'cause I can't let go of Folklore and Evermore - that it's going to be another acoustic album.

Wikipedia has (obviously) an article about what little we know about it so far.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1280 on: February 05, 2024, 02:26:59 AM »
She's certainly on a roll.  Gotta be honest and say Midnights didn't really leave much of a mark on me (certainly not after Folklore/Evermore) but good on her.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1281 on: February 05, 2024, 02:40:23 AM »
Yeah, all in all Midnights is middle of the road, it's only my sudden appreciation for her and the "honeymoon phase" I had with folklore/evermore that allowed me to take the time with the album and enjoy it, if I didn't know her and that was the first album I heard from her, I'd just be "whatever, generic pop album, Anti-Hero is catchy but that's it" and move on.

I'm curious about this next one however, and even if it's not an "indie" one, we can be sure that Youtube is gonna be flooded with acoustic and rock remixes of it  :D

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1282 on: February 05, 2024, 09:19:20 AM »
I like how there's still a counter on her page for the deadline to pre order the Collector's edition even though it sold out last night. In fact, last night it still brought me to the page where I had to "wait in line" for 15 minutes even though it had already sold out.

Online HOF

« Reply #1283 on: February 05, 2024, 09:36:21 AM »
As someone who primarily experiences Taylor Swift through car rides with my daughter, I thought Midnights was pretty good.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1284 on: February 06, 2024, 12:13:13 PM »
Tracklist for The Tortured Poets Department:

Side A
Fortnight (feat. Post Malone)
The Tortured Poets Department
My Boy Only Breaks His Favorite Toys
Down Bad

Side B
So Long, London
But Daddy I Love Him
Fresh Out the Slammer
Florida!!! (Florence + the Machine)

Side C
Guilty as Sin?
Who’s Afraid of Little Old Me?
I Can Fix Him (No Really I Can)
loml

Side D
I Can Do It With a Broken Heart
The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived
The Alchemy
Clara Bow
Bonus Track: The Manuscript

Feels like a Lana Del Rey album, and for the record, if I can't get a folk or rock album, I'm totally down for her own version of Lana's melanchonic and cinematic styie  :laugh:

I selfishly hope for as little dance and hip hop as possible.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1285 on: February 06, 2024, 01:27:34 PM »
Having Florence + The Machine as a guest kind of piques my interest.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1286 on: February 06, 2024, 01:53:41 PM »
They say don't judge a book by its cover, but some of those names!
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1287 on: February 06, 2024, 01:55:52 PM »
They say don't judge a book by its cover, but some of those names!

i didn't wanna be the first to say it but yeah some of those names are cringe as hell lmao
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1288 on: February 15, 2024, 05:02:26 PM »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1289 on: February 15, 2024, 05:15:56 PM »
My Boy Only Breaks His Favorite Toys
I Can Fix Him (No Really I Can)
The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived

Swifties get to play another game of "match the ex to the song" now.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 05:21:03 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1290 on: March 09, 2024, 01:06:37 PM »
If anyone has 15 minutes to spare, there's an absolutely insane mega mix of 230 songs into a surprisingly coherent way on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NKwoSa3LBk&ab_channel=JosephJames

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1291 on: April 01, 2024, 11:57:25 AM »
So, the Eras Tour movie is out on Disney+, anyone saw it yet?

I did (over the Easter long weekend, I like Taylor, but I don't "sit 3 hours and a half straight through her songs" like her), and it's fantastic.

Sure, I knew the concept of the show, I saw the YouTube clips, but seeing in high definition on the big TV screen was something else. Excellent direction (look, Steve Harris, I worship you and I would like for you to be immortal but your videos are way too frantic), absolutely amazing stage and show concept, and something I assume her fans will remember forever.

I must admit I skipped through some of the songs I just don't like, but overall I watched 90%, if not 95% of it, and the grandeur of it all really came alive. Also the eras order were excellent, she always crafted some clever contrasts strategically placing Evermore and Folklore by having them follow up by totally different albums. If you're not crazy about a specific album, the next segment of the show is gonna get you excited (and the other way around).

I've never been a musical elitist, and if I even had 20 years ago a "metal is everything, and everything else sucks" I quickly grew out of it, but I guess from time to time I must have felt for pop fans who wouldn't know the majesty and the glory of seeing Iron Maiden and the plane and the pyros and Eddie walking around and the changing backdrops and Eddie walking around and everything, but now I'm thinking that Taylor fans are pitying other people who are never going to see as how as wonderful as this  :lol it's really an amazing show and well, it'd better be, given the insane ticket prices!

I would never pay a third of my salary to got and see this show, and the italian date is long sold out anyway, but if by any absurd chance there would be a way to sneak into the concert - actually the wife of a coworker somehow managed to get some work as checking-stuff-at-the-gates person - I would gladly jump onto it.

And if one day she's gonna make an entire show of Folklore and Evermore with the sceneries she used (Willow became basically a folk metal song!), yeah, that I would pay for  ;D

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1292 on: April 01, 2024, 01:13:53 PM »
I recently clicked on a Taylor Swift clip on Instagram, which led to me getting more and more Taylor Swift clips popping up.  I had never listened to any of her music or even seen an interview with her.  I must say, I was very impressed by everything -- from her musicianship to her fashion sense to her stage presence to the way she conducts herself in interviews.  She is amazing.  She is also much more gorgeous than I ever realized, and with her awesome personality and talent she is pretty much the ultimate woman.  Travis Kelce is one lucky dude!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online HOF

« Reply #1293 on: April 01, 2024, 03:22:51 PM »
Watched a little bit with my wife. Have to admit I was skeptical that she was singing through the more dance type songs. But she did some songs just at the piano at the end which seemed pretty genuine. Definitely a stunning film visually.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1294 on: April 02, 2024, 02:06:11 AM »
Yeah, she's really able to sing, but let's chalk it up to "the video must have been out of sync with the audio" the impressions I got as well of her not really singing while she was running / dancing a lot.