Author Topic: Dream Theater - The Holiday Spirit Carries On  (Read 15187 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: Dream Theater - The Holiday Spirit Carries On
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2020, 12:16:19 PM »
Holy Shit that mix is fucking massive  :eek   

The song is great too  :hat

But the mix is blowing my mind  :omg:

I hope whoever mixed this is involved in the next Dream Theater album. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2020, 12:35:05 PM »
Bought it and loved everything about it! The production is on point and the song itself is lots of fun, with crazy playing from everyone :metal

Also, they just recorded this during the DT15 sessions, so this is probably a good indicator of how the album will sound (unless they have someone else mix the record with a completely different approach). Can't wait for more news in 2021.
AFAIK, Jimmy T will engineer and mix DT15. (and he engineered and mixed the medley here too.) And Mike mentioned that that sound will be the general basic idea for DT15 (as he mentioned on his FB page today.)

Jimmy T is definitely engineering the album, but I'm not entirely sure he'll do the mixing. I do hope he does it, though, this one sounds great.

Now we have a 3 song DT Christmas setlist!

I know about this one and O Holy Night, but what's the 3rd one? :eek
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online geeeemo

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2020, 12:48:32 PM »
Bought it and loved everything about it! The production is on point and the song itself is lots of fun, with crazy playing from everyone :metal

Also, they just recorded this during the DT15 sessions, so this is probably a good indicator of how the album will sound (unless they have someone else mix the record with a completely different approach). Can't wait for more news in 2021.
AFAIK, Jimmy T will engineer and mix DT15. (and he engineered and mixed the medley here too.) And Mike mentioned that that sound will be the general basic idea for DT15 (as he mentioned on his FB page today.)

Jimmy T is definitely engineering the album, but I'm not entirely sure he'll do the mixing. I do hope he does it, though, this one sounds great.

6:00  :rollin

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2020, 12:56:47 PM »

:rollin

I thought for a little while you were going to say Eve was a Christmas track (It does have that sort of vibe), but 6:00 is definitely the right answer :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2020, 01:30:54 PM »
This is excellent! Plus it was a bargain at $20.00!!!
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online geeeemo

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2020, 01:33:34 PM »
This is excellent! Plus it was a bargain at $20.00!!!

yep! giving Tuesday 3@ 10!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2020, 02:49:39 PM »

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2020, 04:18:34 PM »
It's a weird thing the Pay Whatever You Want scheme.

I always find that If I set a price on my BandCamp - NOBODY buys anything.

If you set it all to FREE - people are more inclined to donate.

It's weird eh. My last album got over £100 in donations. My most successful ever. :)

I guess it's a matter of optics. If they enjoy your work and see you're just giving it away - they might feel like you deserve some reward.

Whilst - if the music is only decent and you're asking £10 for an EP - they might decide you have a bit of an ego ?

-----

Radiohead released In Rainbows as a Pay-Whatever-You-Want release and I read that it was their most profitable album to date - as some super fans were donating stupid money.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2020, 05:22:34 PM »
I had no idea what I was buying, but I bought first, listened later.

This is fantastic. I'm really happy that DT spit this out, and honestly, I've been expecting this for about 20 years!

Reading the comments I thought my ears were going to ejaculate. It sounds just fine. Jeez guys! Chill.

A lot of conversation on DTF revolves around with MP and without MP.

Playing to a click track....I don't care. They blow my mind playing their instruments live.
Personally I think the improvisations are a bit too romanticized...

Beyond This Life '04. Yawn.

Surrounded '07? The intro was nice, but why would I ever care to hear some lame Marillion song tacked onto the end.

Solitary Shell '09? Puleeze. Trying a it too hard. Play another damn song instead.

MM is easily as engaging with his bandmates and with the crowd as MP ever was. So I never understand the criticisms of their live show, other than the canned backing vocals.

But what IS MISSING are the little extras like The Holiday Spirit Carries ON. I thought they knocked it out with the Happy Holidays 2013 CD, but it's been fucking crickets since then as far as anything extra.

Every band releases really good albums and plays really good concerts. What made MP Era DT different were the little extras that made the fan feel special.

This track is a really nice and welcomed surprise.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2020, 05:36:36 PM »
Finally got around to listening to this. I really want a DT Christmas album now. I thought this was great.

Oh Come All Ye Faithful freaking slays.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 05:44:07 PM by Chino »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2020, 05:42:07 PM »
Finally got around to listening to this. I really want a DT Christmas album now. I thought this was great.

I've been begging for a DT Christmas album for 20 years.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2020, 05:45:17 PM »

Reading the comments I thought my ears were going to ejaculate. It sounds just fine. Jeez guys! Chill.
 :rollin

Surrounded '07? The intro was nice, but why would I ever care to hear some lame Marillion song tacked onto the end.

How dare you?! :o
I LOVE that version

But what IS MISSING are the little extras like The Holiday Spirit Carries ON. I thought they knocked it out with the Happy Holidays 2013 CD, but it's been fucking crickets since then as far as anything extra.

MP was incredible on those releases, also It's the thing that I miss most from his era.

I really loved this song and also it reminded me a lot The Astonishing. The production, as I said in the other thread, reminds me the one on the ACoS EP.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 05:53:48 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2020, 05:46:27 PM »

When I shared this with Mrs. P said, “Now we need an entire Holiday record!”
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2020, 06:03:04 PM »
I had no idea what I was buying, but I bought first, listened later.

This is fantastic. I'm really happy that DT spit this out, and honestly, I've been expecting this for about 20 years!

Playing to a click track....I don't care. They blow my mind playing their instruments live.
Personally I think the improvisations are a bit too romanticized...

Beyond This Life '04. Yawn.

Solitary Shell '09? Puleeze. Trying a it too hard. Play another damn song instead.

MM is easily as engaging with his bandmates and with the crowd as MP ever was. So I never understand the criticisms of their live show, other than the canned backing vocals.

Every band releases really good albums and plays really good concerts. What made MP Era DT different were the little extras that made the fan feel special.

This track is a really nice and welcomed surprise.

And In Turn, Dream Theater fans became spoiled.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2020, 06:09:05 PM »
I kind of take offense at being called spoiled. I've literally been a fan for their entire career. I'm just stating my opinion on why the MP/post MP Eras feel different.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2020, 06:27:50 PM »
I kind of take offense at being called spoiled. I've literally been a fan for their entire career. I'm just stating my opinion on why the MP/post MP Eras feel different.

I am sorry if it offended you, it's not meant to be offensive. It's an observation, I have noticed, by being a dream theater fan and also listening and following many other styles of bands. And also, understanding the music industry, really helped me get an idea, of a lot of things. Mostly, from reading interviews by bands about things they are willing to talk about, and this book.

It's why I have stated. MP isn't your average, run of the mill musician. He is first and foremost a music fan, who became a musician, and happened to be living the dream of becoming a "Rock Star".. .What he did during his tenure with Dream Theater, are all things he wished bands would have done while he was a music fan. He went out of his way, to cater to us fans. Many, Many, Many, bands do not do this at all. Dream Theater is the first band I know of that has done so much of this stuff, just for us fans. I appreciate that. I am not sad it is gone either. It was great while it lasted. But things don't last forever and things change, sometimes making compromises is the only way to move forward. That's acceptance.

Even, if what I write may come off as offensive, I do not intend it to be. So please forgive me, and no hard feelings...(Where's that fist bump emoji)
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2020, 06:32:16 PM »
You mean especially special?   :biggrin:

It's why I have stated. MP isn't your average, run of the mill musician. He is first and foremost a music fan, who became a musician, and happened to be living the dream of becoming a "Rock Star".. .What he did during his tenure with Dream Theater, are all things he wished bands would have done while he was a music fan. He went out of his way, to cater to us fans. Many, Many, Many, bands do not do this at all. Dream Theater is the first band I know of that has done so much of this stuff, just for us fans. I appreciate that. I am not sad it is gone either. It was great while it lasted. But things don't last forever and things change, sometimes making compromises is the only way to move forward. That's acceptance.
The problem is, when he split, the guys made it sound like they were just gonna pick up the ball and continue with it - that it wasn't that big of a deal. I think JR even made a comment that what MP was doing wasn't rocket science, and yet they have fallen very short on the things that MP managed to pull off. So are things different than before? Sure. But does that mean there's no reason to be disappointed? Not at all.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2020, 06:37:04 PM »

I am sorry if it offended you, it's not meant to be offensive. It's an observation, I have noticed, by being a dream theater fan and also listening and following many other styles of bands. And also, understanding the music industry, really helped me get an idea, of a lot of things. Mostly, from reading interviews by bands about things they are willing to talk about, and this book.

It's why I have stated. MP isn't your average, run of the mill musician. He is first and foremost a music fan, who became a musician, and happened to be living the dream of becoming a "Rock Star".. .What he did during his tenure with Dream Theater, are all things he wished bands would have done while he was a music fan. He went out of his way, to cater to us fans. Many, Many, Many, bands do not do this at all. Dream Theater is the first band I know of that has done so much of this stuff, just for us fans. I appreciate that.

Well, that's just it. MP gets it. He really does. He saw the band through a fan's eyes. And that really resonated with me. My biggest fear is the Dream Theater fades to being just another band on my iPod..

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2020, 06:41:01 PM »
I think the fan engagement is just different this time around. The fun Easter egg hunt leading to D/T is a fun example. During TA, we had a book (unfortunately was not executed properly) which is obviously aimed at the die-hards. And I believe in JP's mind, the elaborate audio visual production in the concerts is something they are giving to the fans.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2020, 06:42:11 PM »
I think the fan engagement is just different this time around. The fun Easter egg hunt leading to D/T is a fun example. During TA, we had a book (unfortunately was not executed properly) which is obviously aimed at the die-hards. And I believe in JP's mind, the elaborate audio visual production in the concerts is something they are giving to the fans.

I actually thought the whole run up to The Astonishing was really great.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2020, 06:58:07 PM »
And who is to say that as music fans, JP and the rest of the band might actually prefer shows with bombastic audiovisual productions and musicians playing at peak technical excellence? MP really is just one type of fan, so to omply that he is the only one thinking like a fan is putting all fans into one box.

It's just like the issue of rotating setlists. DT just passed by our country JUST ONCE in my lifetime during the I,W&B tour (I doubt they would come back again as this pandemic has changed touring in the foreseeable future). You think I, as a fan, would be happy if the only time I get to see them, they suddenly did not play BAI, my favorite DT song, just because they are sticking to a rotating set list policy?

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2020, 07:09:09 PM »
The problem is, when he split, the guys made it sound like they were just gonna pick up the ball and continue with it - that it wasn't that big of a deal. I think JR even made a comment that what MP was doing wasn't rocket science, and yet they have fallen very short on the things that MP managed to pull off. So are things different than before? Sure. But does that mean there's no reason to be disappointed? Not at all.

I for one, did not expect them to pick up everything MP did with the band. As we all know, most of those things, MP did under his own volition. They can try, but they are not MP, and MP had that energy to want to do it. It's not what the other guys are interested in. Like MP, always having the camera, being the little film buff and movie maker he is as well.  The one that has that aspect to his personality is JR. And wanting to play every song from the catalog, it's easier to do since he knew the parts on the back of his hand.  He could play the part, and then could even tell the guys "Remember it's like this...(sings it)" and the guys go, "Oh, that's right." JP and JM do not have as good of a memory that MP has (he was superhuman in that department). Especially JP, he even says on that Chris Jericho interview, about remembering how to play the riff from an older song and having to look at youtube videos, or some other thing, and trying it and then snapping going "Oh yeah, I played it in this position."

But this Christmas Medley is a nice thing to be doing for the crew. And a treat for us fans of the band. Especially, considering how JP doesn't really like Medleys.  :lol The Happy Holidays digital download was cool as well, being the first tour with Mangini, and all the older songs played live, including hearing Learning to Live with the LaBrie F# (or at least, an attempt at it, again), and To Live Forever.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2020, 08:07:53 PM »
And who is to say that as music fans, JP and the rest of the band might actually prefer shows with bombastic audiovisual productions and musicians playing at peak technical excellence? MP really is just one type of fan, so to omply that he is the only one thinking like a fan is putting all fans into one box.

It's just like the issue of rotating setlists. DT just passed by our country JUST ONCE in my lifetime during the I,W&B tour (I doubt they would come back again as this pandemic has changed touring in the foreseeable future). You think I, as a fan, would be happy if the only time I get to see them, they suddenly did not play BAI, my favorite DT song, just because they are sticking to a rotating set list policy?

The bolded is a great point.

As to the rotating set lists, it was more fun to follow the band online back then for sure to see what would get played each night, but I get why they do it this way now. It sucked back then to see a rarity get pulled out and played at only one or two shows.  Regardless of what you (the general "you") think of Space Dye Vest, it got pulled out on the Along for the Ride tour and was played at every single show.  Had it gotten played in the Portnoy era, you would have only gotten to see if you just happen to go to the one show where it was played, like if they had played it at the Rosendale, NY show on the Scenes tour (IIRC) for example.  That is the great thing about the band in the last 10 years. If they pulled out something rare or obscure, you probably got to see it at your show whenever or wherever it was on that tour, a few exceptions aside (like Don't Look Past Me getting dropped).

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2020, 09:01:20 PM »

This is the essence of the question. That's what it is about, it's not about drum sound or click. It's about Mike Portnoy. It is and always will be. Yes, there are differences, big differences, but I repeat: the essence of the discussion is the absence of MP.

Even more significant changes have happened (in terms of sound) before (Moore-Sherinian-Rudess). They happened, they generated certain crises, they were understood and absorbed. We move on. The same will not happen in the Portnoy-Mangini case. We will never move forward. Because it is not possible.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2020, 09:14:44 PM »
If they pulled out something rare or obscure, you probably got to see it at your show whenever or wherever it was on that tour, a few exceptions aside (like Don't Look Past Me getting dropped).
But that's also part of the problem, because the whole reason why DLPM, TLF and even TGD were all dropped was because it didn't get a resounding response from the audience - JP has stated that clearly. So that means a lot of the rarities and special tracks that MP would make sure got thrown into the set probably will never see the light of day in the live setting again, or if they do, only briefly until they're dropped completely. To MP, that didn't matter. He knew that there were diehards in the audience that would go nuts getting those unusual tracks, and he made sure to cater to them as well as the average fan. And, aside from the 1998 Holidays shows, it wasn't as if a whole show or set was full of those rarities - just one or two. But even that's too many now.   :-[

Even more significant changes have happened (in terms of sound) before (Moore-Sherinian-Rudess). They happened, they generated certain crises, they were understood and absorbed. We move on. The same will not happen in the Portnoy-Mangini case. We will never move forward. Because it is not possible.
That's an interesting point. But I think the big difference between any of the other line up changes and the last one is that there was so much more that changed. It wasn't just somebody different playing the instrument now with their own style. The way the band is run has changed completely, too. So while the sound of the band may have changed more, everything else remained the same. The same can't be said for the latest line up change if you are a diehard who likes all the extra perks that made DT "especially special".
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2020, 09:17:38 PM »
If they pulled out something rare or obscure, you probably got to see it at your show whenever or wherever it was on that tour, a few exceptions aside (like Don't Look Past Me getting dropped).
But that's also part of the problem, because the whole reason why DLPM, TLF and even TGD were all dropped was because it didn't get a resounding response from the audience - JP has stated that clearly. So that means a lot of the rarities and special tracks that MP would make sure got thrown into the set probably will never see the light of day in the live setting again, or if they do, only briefly until they're dropped completely. To MP, that didn't matter. He knew that there were diehards in the audience that would go nuts getting those unusual tracks, and he made sure to cater to them as well as the average fan. And, aside from the 1998 Holidays shows, it wasn't as if a whole show or set was full of those rarities - just one or two. But even that's too many now.   :-[

Except that you didn't include my Space Dye Vest example in what you quoted, which contradicts your last point.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2020, 09:32:12 PM »
Except that you didn't include my Space Dye Vest example in what you quoted, which contradicts your last point.
No - re-read what I posted. I said "a lot" not all. And even in the case of SDVest, they did it because they were performing all of the second half of Awake. Would it have made the setlist if that had not been the case? Maybe, maybe not, but more likely not given the track record. Therefore, I still stand by my statement.

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2020, 09:50:52 PM »

When I shared this with Mrs. P said, “Now we need an entire Holiday record!”

Listening to it makes me wish they did more of (Dream Theater)-y renditions of famous songs (or at least more mainstream than them). For example, a cover of Beatles' "Yellow Submarine", Aqua's "Barbie Girl" or Gorillaz' "19-2000" in their style, a very proggy version of Linkin Park's "In The End", with Jordan Rudess moments resembling James' favorite part in TCOT and patches and tones like of "Solitary Shell", or say a full heavy-metal version of "Wish You Were Here" (I think they have done an acoustic cover already). Or even a Bach concert or other classical piece. The most dissonant, the better.

They could do a full second disc in one of their future albums just out of this stuff, just so as we don't, in a later moment, collectively regret the missed opportunity of obtaining fresh DT material and are stuck with those covers and nothing else!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2020, 11:48:07 PM »
What ia really being more fan-friendly? Playing what many fans want by whipping up the "classics" and "favorites" or pleasing a small elite group of fans by throwing in rarities that many have not heard of (and have no means of hearing because these are not in any official release)?

Offline Pettor

« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2020, 01:09:07 AM »
Damn this was a nice track! Really like that they are doing this for the crew. I am not much for Christmas songs but it feels like a nice thing to spend some money on and it's DT in the end. However I really liked the song even if I don't care too much for the cheesy songs it's based on.

The mix is fantastic!! Please let whoever mixed this continue with that.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2020, 01:24:02 AM »
I think James sounded amazing on this track. His voice also has more space than on Distance Over Time, which sounded kinda compressed.
James has been getting a lot of shit these last months/years. But wow the guy can still sing  :metal
any rock can be made to roll

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2020, 01:32:38 AM »
Damn this was a nice track! Really like that they are doing this for the crew. I am not much for Christmas songs but it feels like a nice thing to spend some money on and it's DT in the end. However I really liked the song even if I don't care too much for the cheesy songs it's based on.

I love how they have the option to allow us to pay for more to help the crew.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2020, 01:59:20 AM »

I love how they have the option to allow us to pay for more to help the crew.

Yes! This is most likely the most expensive single I ever bought but also worth it. A lot of people have a really hard year and Christmas is an excellent time to hopefully help a little if you can  :tup

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2020, 05:16:01 AM »

This is the essence of the question. That's what it is about, it's not about drum sound or click. It's about Mike Portnoy. It is and always will be. Yes, there are differences, big differences, but I repeat: the essence of the discussion is the absence of MP.

I know a lot of people who haven't moved on from Moore to Sherinian, or from Sherinian to Rudess, the difference is that it was such a long time ago that they're not likely to be on the forum now. And also, because the absence of Portnoy hits straight to the heart of the nerd who is likely to hang out here with us, so this nerdy stuff is all we talk about. We're the nerds, you can have diehards who aren't nerds. I know, again, many people who have all their albums and most of their DVDs and they don't know about the click track, they don't know that the band promised they'd continue with bootlegs (and the latest bootleg wasn't *that* long ago in their eyes), they don't know about the setlists.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2020, 07:00:48 AM »

Other than your ridiculous comment on the Marillion song (I LOVE that version of Surrounded, already one of my favorite songs; there's a Pink Floyd nod in there too!) :) :) :)    I think you're spot on in everything you said.  Perfect.

And I don't feel spoiled at all.  I paid good money for the things they offered, and (I'd like to think) repaid even more with my loyalty.  I'm STILL a first day buyer, even though we're not getting the goodies and I'm not as thrilled with the music as I was.   If I look at my CD shelf, I have more Dream Theater than any other band besides the Grateful Dead (and that doesn't really count, because most of that is the Dave's Pick's I've subscribed to since they're worth money).  It was definitely a two-way street.