Author Topic: Dream Theater - The Holiday Spirit Carries On  (Read 15260 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Dream Theater - The Holiday Spirit Carries On
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2020, 07:23:32 AM »
It's why I have stated. MP isn't your average, run of the mill musician. He is first and foremost a music fan, who became a musician, and happened to be living the dream of becoming a "Rock Star".. .What he did during his tenure with Dream Theater, are all things he wished bands would have done while he was a music fan. He went out of his way, to cater to us fans. Many, Many, Many, bands do not do this at all. Dream Theater is the first band I know of that has done so much of this stuff, just for us fans. I appreciate that. I am not sad it is gone either. It was great while it lasted. But things don't last forever and things change, sometimes making compromises is the only way to move forward. That's acceptance.
The problem is, when he split, the guys made it sound like they were just gonna pick up the ball and continue with it - that it wasn't that big of a deal. I think JR even made a comment that what MP was doing wasn't rocket science, and yet they have fallen very short on the things that MP managed to pull off. So are things different than before? Sure. But does that mean there's no reason to be disappointed? Not at all.

I for one, did not expect them to pick up everything MP did with the band. As we all know, most of those things, MP did under his own volition. They can try, but they are not MP, and MP had that energy to want to do it. It's not what the other guys are interested in. Like MP, always having the camera, being the little film buff and movie maker he is as well.  The one that has that aspect to his personality is JR. And wanting to play every song from the catalog, it's easier to do since he knew the parts on the back of his hand.  He could play the part, and then could even tell the guys "Remember it's like this...(sings it)" and the guys go, "Oh, that's right." JP and JM do not have as good of a memory that MP has (he was superhuman in that department). Especially JP, he even says on that Chris Jericho interview, about remembering how to play the riff from an older song and having to look at youtube videos, or some other thing, and trying it and then snapping going "Oh yeah, I played it in this position."

But this Christmas Medley is a nice thing to be doing for the crew. And a treat for us fans of the band. Especially, considering how JP doesn't really like Medleys.  :lol The Happy Holidays digital download was cool as well, being the first tour with Mangini, and all the older songs played live, including hearing Learning to Live with the LaBrie F# (or at least, an attempt at it, again), and To Live Forever.

Not to stir the pot, but for me the difference is MP and MM, but also the REACTION to MP and MM.   I'm a Portnoy guy; I'm like TAC, I liked all that stuff.  I liked that MP made it possible to get ALL the songs if I wanted.  I liked that MP paid us in music.  Example:  I bought the Flying Colors live DVD/Blu-ray, and I read somewhere that the Space Truckin' encore was only available on vinyl.  I thought to myself, "that's not very Portnoy".  And I'm watching the Blu-ray, and sure enough, tacked on the end, no reference, no listing, nothing....  there's Space Truckin'.   He's a completist, and he recognizes that some of his fans are too.  And if you're not "one of those fans", you don't need to participate, but it's THERE if you want to.   The rotating setlists; it wasn't EVERY SONG, but it was enough that you got something special; if you're the type to worry about what was played in a city 200 miles from you, then it sucked, I guess, but if you're one of those that values what YOU get, it was fun and special.   I listen to the Ytsejam material as much if not more than the main releases at this point.   And I wish every day that Sharon Osbourne and Tony Banks thought like Mike; I've had to grab and crawl and scrape for the Ozzy material that I want to hear (the anniversary re-releases ignored one b-side and a bunch of live stuff that was on an EP), stuff that had MP been involved would have found the light of day SOMEHOW.   

If this stuff isn't for you and you're good with what we're getting now, that's AWESOME!  That's amazing and I'm truly glad you have a band that is serving your needs.   I would just hope that those in that camp would recognize that it's the same in reverse instead of dismissing so many as "Portnoy fan-boys" and "spoiled" and the like.  I don't consider myself "spoiled", and the one time I met Mike, briefly, I made it a point to thank him for his approach to his band and his material.

(And for the record, it was James - in an interview with Used Bin Radio, later quoted on Blabbermouth - that said they were going to the four of them pick up the slack and continue on with what was done before.  I've provided that quote numerous times here.  Not judging whether they were successful or not, just setting the record straight.)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2020, 07:52:57 AM »
Back to the song:

I finally had a chance to listen to it and....

It's a Christmas song. I'm sick of bands doing Christmas songs.

BUT...

This was obviously a special thing to help out the crew AND it doesn't hurt to have a random one off song available for download so I dig it and do not regret my $2.99 going to it at all.

If Dream Theater was going to do a Christmas song, this would be how they should do it. If they do more, for the love of god, DO NOT DO A WHOLE ALBUM.

I still can't believe Halford (the band) did a Christmas album. Then he did another one but at least that time it was "Rob Halford with Friends & Family."

I'm not anti-Christmas. My wife and I actually spent two nights this week going around and looking at Christmas displays. One of them was one of those music things put to lights and one of the songs was by Transiberian Orchestra. I love it (and one of these days I'll just bite the bullet and see them live). They also had some Jackson 5 Christmas songs. It was awesome.

The sound:

I thought it sounded great. Not of fan of Mangini's snare. Poor guy just can't win. Other than that, it sounded pretty good.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2020, 09:26:56 AM »
Just to add how AMAZING MP were on making special things for the fans,  I think it's really cool to remember one of the best stories... at Octavarium tour , if the DT played a second nigth in a row in the same city, it was well estabilished that you would hear a cover album on the second night (I believe that tradition started at 6 Degrees tour). When DT came to Brazil in 2005, the last time the band played here was in a festival in 1998 (FII tour), DT would play 2 nights in a row in São Paulo. Before those shows, some brazilian fans were already complaining that, since the band didn't tour here very often, it was an absurd that DT could play someone's else album on any show here. I remember that MP went on-line and said that if DT plays a second night in the same city, the fans were already aware that, at the second night, it would have an album in full and it would go to the show who wanted to etc. And... what happened in the second night São Paulo show?! DT played Scenes in full... after years, DT rehearshed that entire fuc*%@ album just to play for one last time (pun indeed)... UNBELIEVABLE... I NEVER seen anything like that, for the fans, from any band, if you ask me.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2020, 10:18:24 AM »
Just to add how AMAZING MP were on making special things for the fans,  I think it's really cool to remember one of the best stories... at Octavarium tour , if the DT played a second nigth in a row in the same city, it was well estabilished that you would hear a cover album on the second night (I believe that tradition started at 6 Degrees tour). When DT came to Brazil in 2005, the last time the band played here was in a festival in 1998 (FII tour), DT would play 2 nights in a row in São Paulo. Before those shows, some brazilian fans were already complaining that, since the band didn't tour here very often, it was an absurd that DT could play someone's else album on any show here. I remember that MP went on-line and said that if DT plays a second night in the same city, the fans were already aware that, at the second night, it would have an album in full and it would go to the show who wanted to etc. And... what happened in the second night São Paulo show?! DT played Scenes in full... after years, DT rehearshed that entire fuc*%@ album just to play for one last time (pun indeed)... UNBELIEVABLE... I NEVER seen anything like that, for the fans, from any band, if you ask me.

Imagine the planning that is involved in doing that.

See it's what I mean when I say that MP is a fan at heart, and put fans first in the products. He still does this. So what people miss in DT is MP.

If the band was going to take over what MP brought, they would have done that already. They don't want to put in the work that goes into doing what MP did. And that work is a lot. So the band found others to work on those things, while they as the band have the final say and decision. It's why I say MP could've just let some of these things go into the control of someone else, but he couldn't because he had to have that much control of these things, in turn it resulted in him deciding to leave the band, because he didn't want to give up that control to ease his mind. Remember, he said he wanted a break from DT, and I took that to mean all the business aspects of DT. Which could be why the guys said "Dude, WTF?!" (obviously paraphrasing).

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2020, 10:30:25 AM »
What ia really being more fan-friendly? Playing what many fans want by whipping up the "classics" and "favorites" or pleasing a small elite group of fans by throwing in rarities that many have not heard of (and have no means of hearing because these are not in any official release)?
Oh I don't know....how about doing both?  :omg:

Did you not read everything I posted? Aside from the 1998 Holidays shows, no MP-era shows were stuffed full of obscure rarities and covers. But he did make sure to throw in a few rarities so that the die hard fans would be just as happy as the casual fan who was only there to see them perform their "hits". Let's not forget that by including obscure tracks in a setlist which are then included on a live release, the general fanbase *does* become much more aware of them and appreciate them, even if they didn't initially. Another Won and Raise the Knife on Score are perfect examples of this.

When DT came to Brazil in 2005, the last time the band played here was in a festival in 1998 (FII tour), DT would play 2 nights in a row in São Paulo. Before those shows, some brazilian fans were already complaining that, since the band didn't tour here very often, it was an absurd that DT could play someone's else album on any show here. I remember that MP went on-line and said that if DT plays a second night in the same city, the fans were already aware that, at the second night, it would have an album in full and it would go to the show who wanted to etc. And... what happened in the second night São Paulo show?! DT played Scenes in full... after years, DT rehearshed that entire fuc*%@ album just to play for one last time (pun indeed)... UNBELIEVABLE... I NEVER seen anything like that, for the fans, from any band, if you ask me.
I remember that well. To be fair, the band already had a good chunk of the album rehearsed since several songs from SFaM were in the master setlist, but the band still had to rehearse 5 more songs for those shows. Regardless, I remember MP commenting that as soon as he saw the back to back dates in South America (both in Argentina and Brazil), he immediately knew what album they were going to "cover" for those cities, since they didn't play in South America at all on the M2000 tour. He definitely was looking out for the interests of the fans.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2020, 10:34:19 AM »

A lot of conversation on DTF revolves around with MP and without MP.

This is the essence of the question. That's what it is about, it's not about drum sound or click. It's about Mike Portnoy. It is and always will be. Yes, there are differences, big differences, but I repeat: the essence of the discussion is the absence of MP.

Even more significant changes have happened (in terms of sound) before (Moore-Sherinian-Rudess). They happened, they generated certain crises, they were understood and absorbed. We move on. The same will not happen in the Portnoy-Mangini case. We will never move forward. Because it is not possible.
I know a lot of people who haven't moved on from Moore to Sherinian, or from Sherinian to Rudess, the difference is that it was such a long time ago that they're not likely to be on the forum now. And also, because the absence of Portnoy hits straight to the heart of the nerd who is likely to hang out here with us, so this nerdy stuff is all we talk about. We're the nerds, you can have diehards who aren't nerds. I know, again, many people who have all their albums and most of their DVDs and they don't know about the click track, they don't know that the band promised they'd continue with bootlegs (and the latest bootleg wasn't *that* long ago in their eyes), they don't know about the setlists.

Of course, I also know people who haven't moved on. The guy who introduced me to Dream Theater started to consider that the band only had two albums worth listening to: I&W and Awake (it was practically impossible, at that time, to even be able to listen to WDADU in an underdeveloped country like mine, so we ignored it).

But these are just a few anecdotal examples. They are not representative of most fans. It is not the same case with MP/MM. The absence of MP in the band turned the environment into hell. And I'm not talking about DTF, on the contrary, this is the only healthy place you can still go. The absence of MP is a common theme here, there is no denying it, but it is still possible to breathe fresh air.

But it is what it is. Ten more years may pass and we will still be in the same place.

Online devieira73

« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2020, 11:15:40 AM »
I remember that well. To be fair, the band already had a good chunk of the album rehearsed since several songs from SFaM were in the master setlist, but the band still had to rehearse 5 more songs for those shows. Regardless, I remember MP commenting that as soon as he saw the back to back dates in South America (both in Argentina and Brazil), he immediately knew what album they were going to "cover" for those cities, since they didn't play in South America at all on the M2000 tour. He definitely was looking out for the interests of the fans.
Interesting aditional information, Scotty! :tup
Just out of curiosity, do you remember what songs? Still I can imagine they rehearshed at last 30 or 40 minutes of music that they weren't playing at that tour (more or less the time lenght of any "classic album"). Anyway, it was incredibly cool from DT/MP!

Edited: 6 Scenes songs added for that South American tour:
https://www.setlist.fm/stats/dream-theater-bd6a102.html?tour=7bd62ea0
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 12:06:28 PM by devieira73 »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2020, 11:44:25 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but I'm tired of seeing the same discussion over and over again. It's been 10 years, guys, 10 years. Why can't we just move on? :(

I'm sure that, even if MM decided to leave and they got MP back, things would never be the same as they were decades ago, I think we need to accept that and live with it.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2020, 12:57:26 PM »
yes...to the song.....

It is sooo Good!  :metal :heart I just keep listening - the intro after the bright piano, with the heavy guitar then the keyboard..I want to hear more of that! JLB sounds great!
And a continuation of JP's guitar that has been so yummy lately!.  I don't understand drums, but they are fun sounding and really add to it.......What about
that  "1,2,3,4!" at the begining?

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2020, 02:36:33 PM »
Great song.  Everyone sounds terrific.  Well done, DT!  :tup
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2020, 02:57:51 PM »
MP is the new Kevin Moore.

Every thread eventually becomes about him.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2020, 03:18:15 PM »
I will go back to my DTF hiatus. Band does a very admirable job putting out a song not just for the fans but for the worthy cause of helping out the crew hit by the pandemic but as usual, the discussion turns back into how the band doesn't make the fans feel special like in the good old days. Band thinks about the crew, elite fans think it is about themselves.

Donate to help the crew. Have a happy holidays.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2020, 04:24:00 PM »
I will go back to my DTF hiatus. Band does a very admirable job putting out a song not just for the fans but for the worthy cause of helping out the crew hit by the pandemic but as usual, the discussion turns back into how the band doesn't make the fans feel special like in the good old days. Band thinks about the crew, elite fans think it is about themselves.

I agree with this. I don't have skin in the issue as I was not around for MP, nor even listening to DT then. It was interesting to read about for a while, but it's repetitive now, and the same on FB (much worse actually, here everyone is polite). Until recently, the forums and social media were fun - a place to be excited, to be a Fan - with other DT fans. A place to escape and share a mutual love for a band. Now its a few posts about the exciting thing: Upcoming new album, New live album release, Suprise (and really good) song at Christmas and for a good cause, and Waaay more about who the better drummer is, JLB can't sing, the concerts are boring. I was so thrilled! by this new song. I haven't experienced a surprise like this with DT before and couldn't wait to read all about it. And well... :mehlin

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2020, 06:55:47 PM »

I agree with this. I don't have skin in the issue as I was not around for MP, nor even listening to DT then. It was interesting to read about for a while, but it's repetitive now, and the same on FB (much worse actually, here everyone is polite). Until recently, the forums and social media were fun - a place to be excited, to be a Fan - with other DT fans. A place to escape and share a mutual love for a band. Now its a few posts about the exciting thing: Upcoming new album, New live album release, Suprise (and really good) song at Christmas and for a good cause, and Waaay more about who the better drummer is, JLB can't sing, the concerts are boring. I was so thrilled! by this new song. I haven't experienced a surprise like this with DT before and couldn't wait to read all about it. And well... :mehlin

I apologize for my part in this. I am also aware of it, but it came up and I had to say my share.

I am still enjoying this Medley. I just love that drum sound.

What are the christmas songs that are included in the medley?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2020, 08:21:03 PM »

What are the christmas songs that are included in the medley?

I've been wondering the same thing. If someone knows, please share!

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2020, 09:04:07 PM »
Deck the halls..a little guitar part of We Three Kings, Oh Come All Ye Faithful, Jingle Bells, closed with a bit of...I'll leave that for a surprise. I would like to have an entire song that comes from the heavy 2nd part of the intro. It is soo good.
And for the record.  I love the long epic songs. This one is 5ish minutes, and even though Christmas Carol's are kinda boring...year after year...I really wanted this song to keep going!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2020, 09:35:42 PM »
Oh Come All Ye Faithful is amazing. I wouldn't have minded that as a standalone.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2020, 09:43:53 PM »
I'd love to have a proper recording of their version of O Holy Night.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2020, 09:45:12 PM »
James sounds beautiful on OCaYF..

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2020, 07:25:31 AM »

There's one on the first Fan Club CD; it's excellent.  There are a couple for sale on eBay (warning: they aren't cheap; though there's one there that isn't in collector quality shape that might be a little more reasonable). 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2020, 09:09:42 AM »

That's the highlight of the track IMO. I'd pay for a full version of that.

Online devieira73

« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2020, 09:34:12 AM »

https://www.ytsejamrecords.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=14
This one is with Charlie on vocals and the recording is really good (from what I remember).

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2020, 09:47:41 AM »

This one is with Charlie on vocals and the recording is really good (from what I remember).

Yes, it's excellent. While I stated earlier I'm so over bands doing Christmas music, I've got to admit, I'm a sucker for this song. Would love a proper LaBrie version.

Wait, I've got an idea....Dominici/LaBrie duet? I would pay many dollars for that.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2020, 10:09:02 AM »

Yes, it's excellent. While I stated earlier I'm so over bands doing Christmas music, I've got to admit, I'm a sucker for this song. Would love a proper LaBrie version.

Wait, I've got an idea....Dominici/LaBrie duet? I would pay many dollars for that.

I never checked the version with Charlie because I just went with the LaBrie version by default, but I'm listening on Youtube right now and it's really good! I prefer the sound quality on this version, but the other has better vocals, and now I don't know which one I prefer :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2020, 10:11:14 AM »

That's the highlight of the track IMO. I'd pay for a full version of that.

Same here. I actually would've preferred that instead of this medley. What throws me off and just makes me laugh is when JLB sings "FA LALA LA LA, LALA LA, LA" as it slows down.  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2020, 12:15:57 PM »

What are we calling a proper LaBrie version?  Isn't there one?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2020, 01:08:37 PM »

What are we calling a proper LaBrie version?  Isn't there one?

The one on the Fan Club Christmas CD was recorded live at a soundcheck. It's good, but it isn't a studio recording with great quality.

Offline Kram

« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2020, 03:24:03 PM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2020, 03:35:24 PM »
I saw this on facebook the other day but only now just bought the track, it's cool.  Not sure how much I'd come back to listening but I totally think it's a cool idea for the crew and also just for the band to do a medley again.  :metal :metal

Offline tofee35

« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2020, 03:55:01 AM »
Well... this was much better than I was expecting. I loved the vocal harmonies and "silly" riffs that haven't been too present in their recent music was a pleasant and surprising welcome. I love Christmas music and I love DT, but never ever thought the two could co-exist. I am proven wrong. Like others have said, though, one medley is the cake and the icing. Let's leave it at that.

-Tof

Offline faizoff

« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2020, 01:21:22 PM »
Bought it today, great fun listen! love the mix like everyone has pointed out.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2020, 10:21:47 AM »
I kind of take offense at being called spoiled. I've literally been a fan for their entire career. I'm just stating my opinion on why the MP/post MP Eras feel different.

I'll be the first to admit I am spoiled by this band.

As a rule, I'm not a downloader, but I'm breaking the rule in this case.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2020, 10:29:51 AM »
I kind of take offense at being called spoiled. I've literally been a fan for their entire career. I'm just stating my opinion on why the MP/post MP Eras feel different.
You mean especially special?   :biggrin:

It's why I have stated. MP isn't your average, run of the mill musician. He is first and foremost a music fan, who became a musician, and happened to be living the dream of becoming a "Rock Star".. .What he did during his tenure with Dream Theater, are all things he wished bands would have done while he was a music fan. He went out of his way, to cater to us fans. Many, Many, Many, bands do not do this at all. Dream Theater is the first band I know of that has done so much of this stuff, just for us fans. I appreciate that. I am not sad it is gone either. It was great while it lasted. But things don't last forever and things change, sometimes making compromises is the only way to move forward. That's acceptance.
The problem is, when he split, the guys made it sound like they were just gonna pick up the ball and continue with it - that it wasn't that big of a deal. I think JR even made a comment that what MP was doing wasn't rocket science, and yet they have fallen very short on the things that MP managed to pull off. So are things different than before? Sure. But does that mean there's no reason to be disappointed? Not at all.

I used to wonder if they intended to do that at the time and realized how involving all of it was and dropped it or if they had no intention of following up on it but felt the need to address it at the time.

I never really held that against them because they never had the enthusiasm for it like Mike did.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2020, 10:45:08 AM »

Other than your ridiculous comment on the Marillion song (I LOVE that version of Surrounded, already one of my favorite songs; there's a Pink Floyd nod in there too!) :) :) :)   

That's a favorite of mine too. Can't get enough of it. I even thanked Mike personally for it. He didn't think too many people would get Sugar Mice.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #104 on: December 05, 2020, 11:03:27 AM »

Not to stir the pot, but for me the difference is MP and MM, but also the REACTION to MP and MM.   I'm a Portnoy guy; I'm like TAC, I liked all that stuff.  I liked that MP made it possible to get ALL the songs if I wanted.  I liked that MP paid us in music.  Example:  I bought the Flying Colors live DVD/Blu-ray, and I read somewhere that the Space Truckin' encore was only available on vinyl.  I thought to myself, "that's not very Portnoy".  And I'm watching the Blu-ray, and sure enough, tacked on the end, no reference, no listing, nothing....  there's Space Truckin'.   He's a completist, and he recognizes that some of his fans are too.  And if you're not "one of those fans", you don't need to participate, but it's THERE if you want to.   The rotating setlists; it wasn't EVERY SONG, but it was enough that you got something special; if you're the type to worry about what was played in a city 200 miles from you, then it sucked, I guess, but if you're one of those that values what YOU get, it was fun and special.   I listen to the Ytsejam material as much if not more than the main releases at this point.   And I wish every day that Sharon Osbourne and Tony Banks thought like Mike; I've had to grab and crawl and scrape for the Ozzy material that I want to hear (the anniversary re-releases ignored one b-side and a bunch of live stuff that was on an EP), stuff that had MP been involved would have found the light of day SOMEHOW.   

If this stuff isn't for you and you're good with what we're getting now, that's AWESOME!  That's amazing and I'm truly glad you have a band that is serving your needs.   I would just hope that those in that camp would recognize that it's the same in reverse instead of dismissing so many as "Portnoy fan-boys" and "spoiled" and the like.  I don't consider myself "spoiled", and the one time I met Mike, briefly, I made it a point to thank him for his approach to his band and his material.

I don't see it like that.  I think I'm getting the best of both worlds. Mike still does what he always did to a certain extent with his other projects just not with Dream Theater and Dream Theater is Dream Theater. I also think I've been spoiled.